IGNORED

J'Slaves Writing a Book

GeoBQn

Are you having a laugh? Or do we just run in very different circles? Most parents I know are very involved in their kids' lives. Mine certainly are. And they know me. I never needed a questionnaire and interview for them to know that something was wrong.

P.S.: I do realize that there are neglectful parents, but to say that "most" parents aren't as involved as the Duggars strikes me as a bit too much.

I can't tell if this is a troll or just a very misguided Duggar fan.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Duggar girls actually seem like they get to run around and play more than most girls. The children are always running around, and they have enough kids to even have 2 teams to play sports like volleyball. Joy is a tomboy who is always doing the same sports as her brothers.

Also, there is a lot of emphasis on being pretty in the world in general, not just the Fundie world. I think the Duggar kids do have personalities, they are actually well-behaved and have pretty interesting senses of humor. I think a lot of kids nowadays are raised by television and the Duggars actually have to think of CREATIVE ways to have fun. That has a lot to do with the fact that they are well-rounded despite their close-knit upbringing.

70s_zps5c612c62.gif

I get irate when they speak of Grandpa Duggar in such a way. What was the 'bad attitude' Jim Bob speaks of? I did read Jim Bob though Grandap D was an angry man. So what if he's a poor financial managers or got angry at times? If that's the only bad qualities, Jim Bob was a lucky kid. Plenty of richer people have abused their kids physically and emotionally. Jim Bob needs to shut up already.

Including Jim Bob himself. He forced this life on his family, no matter what his intentions were in the beginning, he's more emotionally abusive to his children than his Dad was to him.

Including Jim Bob himself. He forced this life on his family, no matter what his intentions were in the beginning, he's more emotionally abusive to his children than his Dad was to him.

Actually, we don't know that. JB has been vague about what he meant by "an angry man." Maybe grandpa d was abusive somehow and we just don't know because for whatever reason, JB hasn't given out details?

Actually, we don't know that. JB has been vague about what he meant by "an angry man." Maybe grandpa d was abusive somehow and we just don't know because for whatever reason, JB hasn't given out details?

I took "an angry man" as in, he clashed with Jim Bob, they had different opinions on life and Jim Bob didn't like the criticism. Maybe there was abuse, I just never got the impression.

Yeah, I guess I got the opposite impression: Jim Bob isn't saying half of what went on with his father because he actually wants to protect his reputation, not besmirch it. JB has many faults but I don't think anyone will argue that he takes patriarchy seriously. For years it's seemed to me that what they're tip-toeing around saying is that his father was an alcoholic. Maybe that's not the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were borderline neglectful and at least emotionally abusive. It would explain a lot of JB's issues now. I don't agree with the idea that you shouldn't ever speak ill of your parents or of the dead. I'd much rather see JB being honest about his father's bad qualities than sugar coating it and acting like he was the Best Dad Ever because, you know, patriarchy.

I think he is paying Jimmy Lee back for the specific sin of going on record and subsequently having it put in one of the show's episodes that he disapproved of Michelle and JB having so many children and that he had even discussed the concern with Michelle's father. He even said that it was not good for the family and not good for Michelle's health. There was a cutaway interview with Michelle asking her about JL's comments, and she put on her best passive-aggressive fake smile and baby voice and said that while they respected their elder, this was their choice.

JL may have had less than sterling qualities as a husband and father, but I think the real issue was that he could not be assed to fall into line publically and give some token admiration for JB and M's lifestyle choices.

I think JB never had a good relationship with his father, from the time he was growing up. I really think that's what caused him to go off the deep end into patriarchal and fundamentalist religion (but I'm not blaming JL for that, even if he was straight up abusive it was still his son's choice).

Yeah, I guess I got the opposite impression: Jim Bob isn't saying half of what went on with his father because he actually wants to protect his reputation, not besmirch it. JB has many faults but I don't think anyone will argue that he takes patriarchy seriously. For years it's seemed to me that what they're tip-toeing around saying is that his father was an alcoholic. Maybe that's not the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were borderline neglectful and at least emotionally abusive. It would explain a lot of JB's issues now. I don't agree with the idea that you shouldn't ever speak ill of your parents or of the dead. I'd much rather see JB being honest about his father's bad qualities than sugar coating it and acting like he was the Best Dad Ever because, you know, patriarchy.

Right, I think I agree, for the most part. I mean, it's possible that he wasn't, but it's possible that he was. We don't have enough information at this time to know.

My dad was verbally and emotionally abusive. He had his good qualities too, but I have a hard time talking about them because everyone else feels that it negates the abuse, or that what I went through wasn't really that bad.

It would probably take JB years of therapy to even begin to not feel any bitterness about any sort of abuse that might have gone on, and we all know what the Duggars take on therapy is.

I think JB never had a good relationship with his father, from the time he was growing up. I really think that's what caused him to go off the deep end into patriarchal and fundamentalist religion (but I'm not blaming JL for that, even if he was straight up abusive it was still his son's choice).

I agree that his relationship with Jimmy Lee was probably a catalyst for JB's admiration of patriarchy. But Jim Bob is also a world class grifter, and grifters do not like their props to go off script. Once again he decided to hide behind his children to accomplish a goal. His issues with Jimmy Lee should have been settled between them, not alluded to in order to make himself look good and sell books. I am not against letting people know the dead had faults, but I am definitely against it when a profit motive is involved.

I agree that his relationship with Jimmy Lee was probably a catalyst for JB's admiration of patriarchy. But Jim Bob is also a world class grifter, and grifters do not like their props to go off script. Once again he decided to hide behind his children to accomplish a goal. His issues with Jimmy Lee should have been settled between them, not alluded to in order to make himself look good and sell books. I am not against letting people know the dead had faults, but I am definitely against it when a profit motive is involved.

I agree JB is a grifter.

Boob is breaking one of the 10 commandments: honor thy father and mother. No matter what Jimmy did, it should remain private. Bad mouthing him, especially when he is not around to defend himself, is wrong.

Jim Bob chooses to live his life differently from how he is raised, which is his right. It sure is disrespectful to bring up issues with your father after he passes. I also can't imagine telling your kids how bad their grandpa was after he died. It is something Jim Bob should have sat down with his dad while he was still alive and gotten some closure. His father was dx with terminal cancer so it was not like her dropped dead of a heart attack and Jim Bob had no time to talk to him. I think Jim Bob a big whimp and could never have confronted his father.

I'm sure we all could come up with things we hated about our upbringing. All you can do is make your own choices as adult. Badmouthing the deceased certainly doesn't help your children or yourself.

Jim Bob chooses to live his life differently from how he is raised, which is his right. .

Too bad he has taken that away from his children.

Josh has posted that he and the other Duggars are on their way to NYC to promote the book. I assume there will be the obligatory puff piece on the Today Show to shill for the book and the t.v. show.

Heads up, NYers! You may want to hide indoors until the area is declared Duggar-free...

Josh has posted that he and the other Duggars are on their way to NYC to promote the book. I assume there will be the obligatory puff piece on the Today Show to shill for the book and the t.v. show.

Heads up, NYers! You may want to hide indoors until the area is declared Duggar-free...

Update:looks like they're going to be on Fox and Fiends Friends on Monday. Maybe the Today Show is too liberal for them?

I'm surprised JB and Michelle speak so badly of his dad. Isn't that considered "giving a bad report" by Gothard? Hypocrisy much?

I will take chapter three tomorrow... Maybe lol

Stuff came up last night, and I didn't get alcohol. Today I had a few hours, but didn't feel like it. Let's see how tomorrow goes.

I guess I can't screen cap the entire book and upload it in another thread, can I?

Update:looks like they're going to be on Fox and Fiends Friends on Monday. Maybe the Today Show is too liberal for them?

I wonder who's really going to buy this book. It's not going to be on the best seller list. I guess the today show and other networks doesn't want anything to do with them unless it's a pregnancy announcement

Haven't they done tons of stuff with the Today show in the past? ie, all their baby announcements...

OMGEEEEEEE ... do you think they would announce Bessa's engagement on their appearance? Good promo for the season .. and gets everyone forgetting about Gothard!

Haven't they done tons of stuff with the Today show in the past? ie, all their baby announcements...

OMGEEEEEEE ... do you think they would announce Bessa's engagement on their appearance? Good promo for the season .. and gets everyone forgetting about Gothard!

my thoughts exactly. why else would they go on a fricken tv show? television wouldn't book them in so they can talk about their 'written experiences'....

I will take chapter three tomorrow... Maybe lol

Stuff came up last night, and I didn't get alcohol. Today I had a few hours, but didn't feel like it. Let's see how tomorrow goes.

I guess I can't screen cap the entire book and upload it in another thread, can I?

That's not legal I think, however, if you feel like posting the photos somewhere.. (doesn't have to be here) :whistle:

They're going on Fox. They're promoting and campaigning for conservative political candidates in between book promotions. No surprise that they're going to be on tv. I doubt Jessa's engagement will be broken anywhere but on TLC unless it is an accident.

I was forced to watch Faux while in the waiting room at the garage, getting brakes for my car.

1) No engagement news (I assume their contract with TLC means it has to be announced on 19K&K).

2) They were promoting the book, so the J'Slaves were allowed to speak briefly. They did not vary from the official family line. It was most uninformative.

3) Since Josiah is stuck at ALERT, they brought along some young woman--I didn't recognize her--so the head count would be correct, I guess. No-one actually acknowledged her presence, so I have no idea what she was doing there aside from being a stand-in.

4) Jordyn and especially Jennifer looked like they were ready to bolt from the group. They could not have looked more pissed off. Free Jennifer! Free Jordyn!

I was forced to watch Faux while in the waiting room at the garage, getting brakes for my car.

1) No engagement news (I assume their contract with TLC means it has to be announced on 19K&K).

2) They were promoting the book, so the J'Slaves were allowed to speak briefly. They did not vary from the official family line. It was most uninformative.

3) Since Josiah is stuck at ALERT, they brought along some young woman--I didn't recognize her--so the head count would be correct, I guess. No-one actually acknowledged her presence, so I have no idea what she was doing there aside from being a stand-in.

4) Jordyn and especially Jennifer looked like they were ready to bolt from the group. They could not have looked more pissed off. Free Jennifer! Free Jordyn!

Maybe the extra is one Michelle accidentally shoved into the bus at the grocery store. She was living there for three weeks and nobodys noticed yet.

Archived