IGNORED

Erin and Chad 11: How Does Anyone Sleep?

Coconut Flan

I just watched Erin’s new day in the life video and had Covid flashbacks. They literally never leave the house! All day! And they live in the heat of Florida.

It made me feel depressed for these children that they are getting such a crap education and being deprived of outings and social interaction. I also refuse to believe a 1 year old and a 3 year old just occupy themselves quietly with magnatiles all day. And what is she going to do when she adds a newborn to the mix???

I felt trapped in that house even just watching them be trapped there! And if you’re going to torture them with Abeka, at least mix it up and go for a walk in the morning so they can get outside when it’s not so hot. Maybe a nature walk with an interactive science lesson instead of whatever the hell Erin was doing. 

It’s sad that this is probably miles ahead of Alyssa’s version of “school.” At least Erin’s kids aren’t on screens all day and she actually sits with them one on one occasionally. 

Also, I couldn’t find any evidence of the actual existence of that John Adams quote that Erin was making Carson copy in cursive as his mind-numbing “history” lesson, but oh the irony of “The first of qualities for a great statesman is to be honest” written by Trump supporters!

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 3

Those lightweight dance shorts were required under dresses at granddaughter's pre-school.  My daughter has carried over the habit at elementary school.  We generally only buy skirts with the already built in shorts.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I didn’t watch the video, but I really hope they are truly cooped up indoors because of how HOT it has been here in Florida. While we aren’t getting as high temps as the Texas/Louisiana area, it’s been consistently upper 90s with humidity in the 90% range, and every day we’ve had alerts for extreme heat advisory. We’ve been struggling to get our dog out at all (extreme humidity as early as 5am and late as 10pm), and with me being 7 months pregnant, I’ve been trying to avoid outdoors at all cost. Our pool can’t even cool me down as the sun has heated it to upper 90s as well 🥵

Edited by front hugs > duggs
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 7

2 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I didn’t watch the video, but I really hope they are truly cooped up indoors because of how HOT it has been here in Florida. While we aren’t getting as high temps as the Texas/Louisiana area, it’s been consistently upper 90s with humidity in the 90% range, and every day we’ve had alerts for extreme heat advisory. We’ve been struggling to get our dog out at all (extreme humidity as early as 5am and late as 10pm), and with me being 7 months pregnant, I’ve been trying to avoid outdoors at all cost. Our pool can’t even cool me down as the sun has heated it to upper 90s as well 🥵

Gosh this sounds horrible, especially while pregnant 🤯

Unfortunately the Bateses for sure are climate change deniers and follow DeSantis blindly. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/11/2023 at 11:18 PM, Johannah said:

I just watched Erin’s new day in the life video and had Covid flashbacks. They literally never leave the house! All day! And they live in the heat of Florida.

It made me feel depressed for these children that they are getting such a crap education and being deprived of outings and social interaction. I also refuse to believe a 1 year old and a 3 year old just occupy themselves quietly with magnatiles all day. And what is she going to do when she adds a newborn to the mix???

I felt trapped in that house even just watching them be trapped there! And if you’re going to torture them with Abeka, at least mix it up and go for a walk in the morning so they can get outside when it’s not so hot. Maybe a nature walk with an interactive science lesson instead of whatever the hell Erin was doing. 

It’s sad that this is probably miles ahead of Alyssa’s version of “school.” At least Erin’s kids aren’t on screens all day and she actually sits with them one on one occasionally. 

Also, I couldn’t find any evidence of the actual existence of that John Adams quote that Erin was making Carson copy in cursive as his mind-numbing “history” lesson, but oh the irony of “The first of qualities for a great statesman is to be honest” written by Trump supporters!

Don't they have air con?

Man even my 1980s 1990s teachers let us lay on the floor and "play" dead ants when the heat in our non air conditioned demountables got too hot. 

Get some air con girl if you want them to be comfortable learning.

• Upvote 1

The school where I work isn’t air conditioned nor is my house. Late May and June were mighty uncomfortable. We’ve had an inconsistent summer with some weeks hotter than Hell and other weeks much cooler. Kiddo and I hit up the free wading pools, the library and any other free cool place on the days it goes above 30C. Erin should head off to a museum for a day. I get it, AC is pricey but then explore alternatives. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Expectopatronus said:

The school where I work isn’t air conditioned nor is my house. Late May and June were mighty uncomfortable. We’ve had an inconsistent summer with some weeks hotter than Hell and other weeks much cooler. Kiddo and I hit up the free wading pools, the library and any other free cool place on the days it goes above 30C. Erin should head off to a museum for a day. I get it, AC is pricey but then explore alternatives. 

My house has no Air con and I live in a place that is hotter than hell most summers 

I get ya 

We spend a lot of time away from the house also 

One time a fellow non air con friend and I sat at the maccas party room for most of the day playing board games just for the free air con 

They exist.  Perhaps nothing new built the last 20 years, but there are older houses that never had central air installed.  

• Upvote 5

But is there any reason to think that the Paines don’t have A/C? I didn’t watch their latest video. I would have assumed they were indoors in the A/C because it was too hot outside. They seem to value the kids spending a lot of time outdoors.

• Upvote 10

Not in Florida but an equally hot and humid state, and since June it's been so hot that we really don't go outside if we can help it. It's even too hot to swim unless we go before 9am or after 6pm. Even with central air and ceiling fans, the heat just sucks the energy and appetite right out of you. So does pregnancy. Today the high is "only" 94 so after school drop off I took my youngest to the shaded park for an hour, and the other moms and I laughed about enjoying the "cold front" before it hits 107 later this week.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

The summer I moved my mom out of Arkansas it was over 100 with high humidity outside and even with central air running constantly the house was still in the low 80s. 

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Expectopatronus said:

@BensAllergies Your kids are already back at school?! What is summer break where you live? Here it is July 1 until Labour Day.

Today was the first day of school but other schools in the area started returning last week. My hometown in California started a week ago as they are also on a similar schedule as us here in the South. Summer break began toward the end of May. When we lived in a northern state bordering Canada, summer break began mid-June and ended after Labor Day weekend as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, gobucks said:

I've never heard of a house in Florida not having central air. 

Florida is not a wealthy state. I can't imagine every home in the entire state being air conditioned.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

55 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Florida is not a wealthy state. I can't imagine every home in the entire state being air conditioned.

That sounds very inhumane to the older populations in the state to be without AC. It easily hits 100 degrees. That is so unsafe. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, gobucks said:

That sounds very inhumane to the older populations in the state to be without AC. It easily hits 100 degrees. That is so unsafe. 

I read that after air conditioning was invented, that’s when the desert areas of the country actually had more people move there. Before that, those areas weren’t as populated because it was just so miserable in the heat. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, gobucks said:

Even if the house had central air, many elderly in the rural areas could not afford to run it.  There is quite a bit of poverty especially in the rural areas of Florida.  

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, JDuggs said:

But is there any reason to think that the Paines don’t have A/C? I didn’t watch their latest video. I would have assumed they were indoors in the A/C because it was too hot outside. They seem to value the kids spending a lot of time outdoors.

No reason to think they don’t have AC. They seem cool and comfortable in their videos. Just trapped inside most of the day bc of the heat. I was thinking that Erin should mix up their schedule so they’re able to have time outside in the morning before it’s unbearably hot. 

I’ve been on a masochistic/procrastination streak recently and watched a bunch of their YouTube videos. I was struck by how odd Erin’s accent/way of speaking is and how it sounds nothing like her parents or siblings and has changed since the early years on the Bates and Duggar shows. 

Then I watched her interview with her mother-in-law. She is clearly trying to speak exactly like her! It’s this odd lilting over-enunciation of words and sort of tightening of vowel sounds (not sure how else to describe it). She sounds exactly like her mother in law mixed with the remnants of her previous southern accent.

She seems obsessed with Tammy Paine in an Anna Duggar idolizing Michelle kind of way. During the interview she constantly says, you’re so wise, that’s so wise, to basic suggestions like buying a cookbook to learn how to cook. She even seems to be emulating her specific mannerisms. So bizarre! But glad the voice/accent change mystery is now solved. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

If anyone said "you're so wise" to me, I would assume they were teasing me.  I mean I know I'm smart enough but the wording just seems like something my coworkers and I would say to each other after someone does something particularly absent-minded .

One of my good friends just moved to Houston for work and he says is completely miserable at all times there.  No one goes outside unless they have to so he hasn't gotten to explore anything yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

On 8/15/2023 at 3:42 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it’s pretty likely most have at least a window unit or a standing a/c unit. 

If you haven't seen rural poverty, I can see how you might think that. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1

Since the troll decided to voice its condescending opinion, I will link a stat that states 96% of Florida homes use air conditioning equipment of some kind. Whether it’s central air, mini splits, windows units, etc. 

https://www.eia.gov/consumption/residential/data/2020/state/pdf/State Air Conditioning.pdf

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

On 8/15/2023 at 9:30 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

If anyone said "you're so wise" to me, I would assume they were teasing me.

So I actually did this to myself because on Wednesday I had a client tell me "your knowledge base is so vast" when I was explaining a medical issue.  I've been chuckling about it ever since because I can see how it might look that way to someone who didn't know what I was explaining, but it seems that way to me whenever I'm talking to someone who is in a field I know very little about.  It was a sweet and heart-felt compliment, but I immediately thought of Erin.

• Haha 4