IGNORED

J'Slaves Writing a Book

GeoBQn

Jill's part sounds very empathetic, kind and might even be helpful to some fundie teenagers who never hear words of encouragement. Always reminds me that she could be so much more, social worker, nurse, doctor, teacher.. such a waste.

But wow, Jessa was self-conscious about her looks? Physically speaking she is and has always been the prettiest of the girls, I guess they were just normal teenagers after all, with peer pressure and everything homeschooling is supposed to avoid.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/03/duggar-girls-crisis-eating-disorders-physical-desire-other-sins-struggling-against/

Radar trying to make the book scandalous.

Only Steve Maxwell would consider this book scandalous, and that would be because they don't mention DEATH enough.

Not having read this entire thread, hopefully I'm not repeating. I just saw this excerpt elsewhere:

The Duggar girls — who refrain from dancing and revealing shoulders or upper legs — praised Michelle for quitting the cheerleading team when she found God in the middle of her senior year.

Ummm, football is over by the middle of the senior year, amiright? So unless she was cheering for basketball (doubtful) cheer was over by then. Praise the convenience.

More like, she didn't feel like cheering for basketball so she quit. What a bitch.

About saying bad things about "grampa Duggar": one of the few things I remember from him being shown on the show is Amy having a nice time with him in the park when he was sick but still able to go out. She seemed to really love him.

Duggars.tumblr.com has an excerpt from chapter one up.

Jessa talks about going to a birthday party and randomly throws something in about Joy being beautiful inside and out. Seriously, it comes out of nowhere.

I got the impression that those out of context sentences were captions for pictures in the book, while the excerpt is text-only.

The only way the Duggar parents spend more time with their children than average is by factoring in ages 18+. You know, all those years when normal children would be considered adults, be at college/work, living outside their parents' home, etc.

They are really good liars. It was their choice to have 19 kids. I think JB and Michelle do think they are better than everyone else because of their large family. But everyone else is just smarter.

I got the impression that those out of context sentences were captions for pictures in the book, while the excerpt is text-only.

Yes, the comment about Joy was the caption to a photo of her, posed lying in the center of a road.

What's the deal with fundie women posing for photos in the middle of roads (Erin Bates, 7 Sisters)? It is supposed to be symbolic or something? Do they think Jesus is going to protect them from the gigantic 18 wheeler that's about to come barreling over the hill? Isn't it bad enough that drivers have to dodge stray cows and runaway chickens on rural roads--now they have to swerve to avoid women sprawled out (modestly) across the center lane as well? Sheesh!

Not having read this entire thread, hopefully I'm not repeating. I just saw this excerpt elsewhere:

The Duggar girls — who refrain from dancing and revealing shoulders or upper legs — praised Michelle for quitting the cheerleading team when she found God in the middle of her senior year.

Ummm, football is over by the middle of the senior year, amiright? So unless she was cheering for basketball (doubtful) cheer was over by then. Praise the convenience.

What's with all this modesty stuff. If a man wants to lust after you he doesn't care what you're wearing. And how is dancing and upper legs harmful? :hand: Michelle didn't find god she found Jim Bob and Gothard.

Yes, the comment about Joy was the caption to a photo of her, posed lying in the center of a road.

What's the deal with fundie women posing for photos in the middle of roads (Erin Bates, 7 Sisters)? It is supposed to be symbolic or something? Do they think Jesus is going to protect them from the gigantic 18 wheeler that's about to come barreling over the hill? Isn't it bad enough that drivers have to dodge stray cows and runaway chickens on rural roads--now they have to swerve to avoid women sprawled out (modestly) across the center lane as well? Sheesh!

It's not just them, the whole road/railroad track pose is a portrait photography cliche. It just means that they hired an unimaginative (and probably not very experienced) photographer. How this became a thing? I have no idea.

I suspect their negative brainwashing about JL Duggar was part of their pro-ATI brainwashing. I suspect that JL did not approve of ATI, and made his position evident. JB&M probably said all those bad things because they feared grandpa's influence would undo the brainwashing. By defaming the source, they are discrediting the anti-ATI stuff he probably said.

And I agree, JL is probably the most level-headed, sane duggar.

It honestly appals me how they don't realize how toxic and dangerous ATI is.

I thought posing in the middle of the road for a picture was a cool idea --when I was 12. (And on a road that didn't get much traffic, in my defense.)

Ehh, I don't go for the whole don't speak ill of the dead thing. Some people were just.... well, when I die, anyway, I want people to say, "Man, that Trynn, sometimes she could be an absolute BITCH." and not feel bad about it. People were both good and bad, and there's no point in acting like they're saints just because they're dead.

If I find out people never speak ill of me when I'm dead, I'll haunt them.

To me, there's a difference in acknowledging a dead persons faults, and outright blasting them in public.

While they could say "Sometimes Trynn could be a bitch" how would you feel if they publicly stated every bitchy thing you ever did, never stated your good qualities, and made you out to be a monster? Not just to family and friends either, but to the entire world?

I guess if you were dead you wouldn't care... But let's say yup dfo care.

Despite placing a strict control on their desires, the girls say they "have a natural physical desire toward men" and "thank God for making us 'normal.'"

So if they thank God for "making them" normal, doesn't this mean that God could have chosen to make them "abnormal" (read: gay)? And if God chose to make one of their younger sisters gay, like he apparently did with their mother's sister, could she really be "abnormal" or would she be, to paraphrase the gay desk clerk in Spinal Tap, "just as God made her"?

To me, there's a difference in acknowledging a dead persons faults, and outright blasting them in public.

While they could say "Sometimes Trynn could be a bitch" how would you feel if they publicly stated every bitchy thing you ever did, never stated your good qualities, and made you out to be a monster? Not just to family and friends either, but to the entire world?

I guess if you were dead you wouldn't care... But let's say yup dfo care.

Sadly, that is probably an accurate description of me. I'm not really in a position for the rest of the world to care, but I see your point. Don't the Duggars ever mention the good things be did?

I don't know that "normal" for them means "not gay." I know I grew up with the message that attraction is a normal thing and is a good part of God's design, but just needs to be saved for the person you marry. It's better than suggesting that women should never feel that kind of thing and if they do they're bad and sinful like I think a lot of religious women end up internalizing. In all of that, the idea of being gay was just not a possibility at all. Remember they tend to think that homosexuality is a choice, so they wouldn't believe that God would ever make someone "abnormal" in that way. These people really do think that because they raised their kids with Christian beliefs, none of them will be gay. Obviously there are plenty of people who should prove that wrong, but they refuse to see that.

I don't know that "normal" for them means "not gay." I know I grew up with the message that attraction is a normal thing and is a good part of God's design, but just needs to be saved for the person you marry. It's better than suggesting that women should never feel that kind of thing and if they do they're bad and sinful like I think a lot of religious women end up internalizing. In all of that, the idea of being gay was just not a possibility at all. Remember they tend to think that homosexuality is a choice, so they wouldn't believe that God would ever make someone "abnormal" in that way. These people really do think that because they raised their kids with Christian beliefs, none of them will be gay. Obviously there are plenty of people who should prove that wrong, but they refuse to see that.

That's how I took it too. In the Duggar episodes that cover courtships, the older kids talk about how their parents have told them that "it's normal" to feel attraction to the opposite sex and get butterflies sometimes. I believe the older Bates kids say something along the same lines too. I also thought it was heartening that their sexuality wasn't completely repressed and they weren't told they were dirty or sinful for having typical adolescent feelings. I bet it's better than what goes on in the Maxwell house.

Not that I don't believe all four Duggar girls are homophobes.

I would like to know if Boob called any of his "friends" when the RV broke down on the way to CA. Grandpa is the one who came to help them. I hope they remember that!!

When I was in high school the cheerleaders practiced all through the school year even if they didn't have anything to cheer for (and this was no world-class cheerleading squad that was going to competitions or anything) and they did cheer for basketball.

And I haven't read the book, but "in the middle of senior year" doesn't necessarily mean the exact middle point of the year. It could have still been football season when she quit.

So if they thank God for "making them" normal, doesn't this mean that God could have chosen to make them "abnormal" (read: gay)? And if God chose to make one of their younger sisters gay, like he apparently did with their mother's sister, could she really be "abnormal" or would she be, to paraphrase the gay desk clerk in Spinal Tap, "just as God made her"?

Normal equals heterosexual is exactly how I read that and my immediate reactions was an out loud," F YOU, you sanctimonious assholes. "

I sincerely dislike these people.

Despite placing a strict control on their desires, the girls say they "have a natural physical desire toward men" and "thank God for making us 'normal.'"

Normal? Fuck all of you!

(link:http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment-eonline/20140306/b517991/)

they have to be normal or they will be persecuted by their own family. they have to say this to even survive.

That's true. Even for me it's hard (asexual). For a homosexual it'd be downright social suicide. 10 times harder. I really hope those girls are straight because I DON'T envy them what they'd have to go through otherwise.

On the topic of JL...so much for the friends who talked of his 'fun loving personality' and the ketchup analogy that 'he made everything just a bit better too'. If he was so ungodly, then how do they expect to see him in heaven, 'we were comforted to know, as Christians, we would all be together in heaven someday'? Ch 15 A Love that Multiplies.

Way to contradict Duggars. What respect I tried to keep is gone. They dont respect very much it seems. Duggar time is probably the most disrespectful thing Ive seen (teaching your kids that being late is normal, is nuts), but this takes the cake. If the girls wrote that, they have no respect for the deceased. If the elders wrote that, way to teach your kids. However, if the girls did write that, then look out Jim Bob and Michelle when you kick the bucket/go to heaven.

Long time lurker, new poster.

Reading the book now.

Misleading...'Do not keep a stash of sodas... around the house' in the weight section. No? You have a soda fountain. That's more than a stash. I know of no other family with their own soda fountain.

On the topic of JL...so much for the friends who talked of his 'fun loving personality' and the ketchup analogy that 'he made everything just a bit better too'. If he was so ungodly, then how do they expect to see him in heaven, 'we were comforted to know, as Christians, we would all be together in heaven someday'? Ch 15 A Love that Multiplies.

Way to contradict Duggars. What respect I tried to keep is gone. They dont respect very much it seems. Duggar time is probably the most disrespectful thing Ive seen (teaching your kids that being late is normal, is nuts), but this takes the cake. If the girls wrote that, they have no respect for the deceased. If the elders wrote that, way to teach your kids. However, if the girls did write that, then look out Jim Bob and Michelle when you kick the bucket/go to heaven.

Long time lurker, new poster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Duggars are the type of Christians who believe that anyone who believes in God and accepts Jesus as their savior automatically goes to heaven.

Jim Bob said something about this in the episode where the family went digging for diamonds. He was giving a sermon on the bus and said something to the effect of, "You'll see him again in heaven someday, if you're a believer."

I don't know why all their crazy rules would be necessary in that case, but I'm sure they have some explanation.

Archived