IGNORED

Artemis (Cynthia Jeub) 3: The Grift Goes On

Coconut Flan

On 4/9/2024 at 3:28 AM, allyisyourpally5 said:

Artemis showed spark and cleverness once upon a time……they need some serious help.

I wonder if they ever really did show grit or intellectual curiosity. Like I'm looking at their most recent blog post and I just feel sad for them. https://artemisstardust.com/2024/04/05/how-harmful-is-educational-neglect/ 

Chris Jeub sucks so much. Back in the day he pretended he was a subject matter expert on debate and public speaking (and the bible, poverty, women, whatever he felt like at the moment).  Art is positioning themselves as a subject matter expert on religious homeschooling. But also just isn't? Like they are writing about their experiences but pretending that it's normal and common, and writing about general topics. Whereas they could write about things specific to their life - that would be so much more interesting than a list of general topics they feel undereducated on. We all have gaps in our general knowledge. I, personally, don't know much about sports. I'm bad at public speaking. I got a 450 on the math section of my SAT and thought I couldn't go to college but I'm actually pretty good at math and completed Calc 2. 

But no one cares about that. If I were to write a blog about my life, I would tell stories. And I want to read Art's stories - raw feelings, emotions. Or amusing anecdotes about how the conservative homeschool she went to failed her. Here's an example from my life. Pretty I am good at writing and funny. 

When I met my spouse, we watched a lot of movies. And he's really into Band of Brothers. We watched that. Then we watched the other version of it, the Pacific Theatre one that I can't remember the name of. I want to say it's Pacific Rim but that doesn't seem right. Regardless of the relevance of this tangent, I remember asking him about this second war show we were watching, and I realized that my brain had never once made the connection that the World War II in Japan was the same World War II in Europe. Like, yeah, I'm dumb af. And also I did learn about it in school, but we always separated the two parts of the war and I never really grasped that the military was essentially fighting two wars at the same time. Like in my head I guess Europe happened and then we got hit in Pearl Harbor and then we fought a second war. 

Like I would be so much more interested in stories like that where we get a glimpse of what they actually learned in Jeubville vs a list of complaints against their parents. Who still suck, BTW. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I wonder if they ever really did show grit or intellectual curiosity. Like I'm looking at their most recent blog post and I just feel sad for them. https://artemisstardust.com/2024/04/05/how-harmful-is-educational-neglect/ 

... I want to read Art's stories - raw feelings, emotions. Or amusing anecdotes about how the conservative homeschool she went to failed her.

...I would be so much more interested in stories like that where we get a glimpse of what they actually learned in Jeubville vs a list of complaints against their parents. Who still suck, BTW. 

I enjoyed their posts about going back to high school as an adult. I think that would be a great theme in and of itself: Artemis filling in the gaps of their education. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

On 4/3/2024 at 9:11 PM, Kolache said:

The shower thing is . . . wow. Sponge baths with reusable washcloths and bar soap are an option. Wipes ain't gonna cut it most of the time. 

We didn’t even use wipes on our baby. Well, we did at the hospital because that’s what they had there. But once we got home we used washcloths and warm water. So much better for the skin (and the environment!), cheaper and easier too! We had wipes when we went on outings (both for diaper changes and sticky hands/face), but they really don’t work well. I can’t imagine using those instead of showering! And like others said, why not use a bowl of water and a washcloth? 

• Upvote 7

I camp/ backpack a lot and I hate wipes.  They are always recommended on lists of what to bring, and I don't understand that recommendation at all. Or I have skin that is incompatible with them. They make me feel dirtier than nothing at all, TBH. At first it's OK. But like 10 minutes later the sticky residue shows up and the smell. Ugh. 

I would rather freeze in a makeshift glacier water "sun heated" shower or plunge into a 35 degree lake than deal with the nastiness of wipes. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

On 4/12/2024 at 10:35 AM, Maggie Mae said:

I camp/ backpack a lot and I hate wipes.  They are always recommended on lists of what to bring, and I don't understand that recommendation at all. Or I have skin that is incompatible with them. They make me feel dirtier than nothing at all, TBH. At first it's OK. But like 10 minutes later the sticky residue shows up and the smell. Ugh. 

Water Wipes are great - it’s what we used for diaper changes for my son and before that it’s what my husband and I brought for our safari in Kenya. They don’t have the same “cleansing” component - almost entirely just water. Yes, you can use tap water and have much the same result, but if it’s not nearby or reliable, it’s great to have a pack. Kiddo has been potty trained for two years and we still always have a pack in the car/in travel bags, etc. 

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

They're moving when their lease is up. They need a "fresh start". They've decided to move "out of state" to a place closer to Ryann's family, good medical care, and a lower cost of living. But they won't say where they are going. However Artemis will be baking pies as a fundraiser for those in the Seattle area. 

Screenshot_20240427-194232.png

Edited by HumbleJillyMuffin
  • Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 9
  • Thank You 3

3 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Yum, pies baked by someone who doesn't like to shower, sign me up.

My thoughts exactly. They don't strike me as the type to be vigilant about a super clean kitchen and food safety. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

They're moving when their lease is up. They need a "fresh start". They've decided to move "out of state" to a place closer to Ryann's family, good medical care, and a lower cost of living. But they won't say where they are going.

If they move out of state does that impact their disability payments? Or are they federal? 

I wonder how long this relocation will last.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

So what exactly is the fundraiser for?

Moving costs? Flight tickets? A car / van to move with? The gas money? A deposit? New furniture? Decorating costs? All of the above?

I would love to move for a variety of reasons but am staying put because of all associated costs currently being out of my reach. Moving and starting again costs money. Maybe I should try this route…..I wonder how much I would get?

Clearly the studying I’m doing on top of my full time job right now to hopefully bring a better financial outcome in the long-term is the suckers way forward. 

I was really sympathetic to their situation once upon a time and donated……but there’s part of me that now thinks, you’re just not even trying to try to improve any aspect of your life, not even the teeniest bit. I get the deal with mental health as I have had my own shit, like most of us, and seeing the way out can often and  sometimes feels impossible. But there is also a point…..a point where you have to just, I don’t know…..reach out, take the tiniest step, especially now so many jobs involve working from home so you won’t have to deal with people or getting up and out. 

How much longer are they realistically going to be able to grift like this, considering donations are already dropping which they admit?

My god I just looked at it, they want $5550 dollars!

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

So what exactly is the fundraiser for?

Moving costs? Flight tickets? A car / van to move with? The gas money? A deposit? New furniture? Decorating costs? All of the above?

The funds are for a moving service, vet care and meds for the cats, travel supplies for them and the cats, and updating IDs.  They have donors already helping with "move-in and transportation costs," which "significantly reduces our overall budget."  Doesn't seem real clear to me.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

If they are moving closer to Ryann's family then my assumption is that Ryann's family should or could be able to be helping them with the majority of the moving costs/arrangements.  Otherwise what's the point? I highly doubt their family would say "You figure out all the details and expenses of moving here, even though you're both disabled, but once you actually get here we will start helping and being your support system".  There is literally no point in moving somewhere to be closer to your family unless your family is ACTUALLY A SOURCE OF HELP. 

But once again, they gloss over details that are important to understanding their situation, and focus on the minutiae that no one cares about, shit like "we need $5.75 to buy cat food, $3 of which has already been raised".  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

5 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

If they are moving closer to Ryann's family then my assumption is that Ryann's family should or could be able to be helping them with the majority of the moving costs/arrangements.  Otherwise what's the point? I highly doubt their family would say "You figure out all the details and expenses of moving here, even though you're both disabled, but once you actually get here we will start helping and being your support system".  There is literally no point in moving somewhere to be closer to your family unless your family is ACTUALLY A SOURCE OF HELP. 

But once again, they gloss over details that are important to understanding their situation, and focus on the minutiae that no one cares about, shit like "we need $5.75 to buy cat food, $3 of which has already been raised".  

Exactly. I agree that they should leave Seattle for a place with a much lower cost of living. However I don't think they are looking at the larger picture and they certainly aren't explaining it to their readers and donors. "Closer to some of Ryann's family " is great, but are they going to be there for day to day help, or just to see once a month? And define "closer". Within an hour of family or a day's drive? They don't seem to have really considered the overall situation. 

How will Ryann's disability/benefits/Medicaid transfer to the new state? What will the cost of living truly be like there? Will Artemis finally go after the disability they claim to deserve? 

• Upvote 3

SSI and the co-benefit of Medicaid are federal programs.  Ryann will have to file forms,to update income and living situation, but not have to requalify.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

11 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

My god I just looked at it, they want $5550 dollars!

Holy crap. Out of curiosity I looked up the cost of moving from Seattle to Miami (basically the furthest point in the lower 48 I could think of offhand, assumed Alaska and Hawaii would cost more) and found "Hiring movers for a studio apartment or one-bedroom home from Seattle to Miami will cost between $1,902 to $8,021."

Given they only moved into the place they're in relatively recently they surely can't have accumulated that much stuff? And yes there would be travel costs on top of that, but... it still feels like a lot to be asking to relocate closer to family.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

This kind of thing is the definition of grifters (verging into con artists).

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Holy crap. Out of curiosity I looked up the cost of moving from Seattle to Miami (basically the furthest point in the lower 48 I could think of offhand, assumed Alaska and Hawaii would cost more) and found "Hiring movers for a studio apartment or one-bedroom home from Seattle to Miami will cost between $1,902 to $8,021."

So one of the "fun" things about rural living is that cost of moving had less to do with distance and more about common routes. Seattle to Miami will cost less than Bellingham to Tampa. 

Regardless, wtf. How are they asking for money to move again? They haven't even been in their place for a year. 

• Upvote 9

The astonishing thing is, is that offering to bake cookies is the most active thing Artemis has done to raise money since I started following them!! 
Baking cookies once a week or even once a month and selling them locally would have been an actual income and might have been enough to cover for some of the stupidly low costs that managed to surprise them EVERY fucking month. :pull-hair:

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

$5550.00 seems like a lot, especially with all the money they have asked for the last few years.   I cannot understand why people keep enabling them by sending them money.  They keep asking for more and more.  Their sense of entitlement is astonishing.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

On 4/27/2024 at 10:24 PM, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

My thoughts exactly. They don't strike me as the type to be vigilant about a super clean kitchen and food safety. 

They have never shown a picture of the kitchen or really even much of any other part of their apartment.  However, the few pics that show anything, show a cluttered and not clean space.  I can't imagine the kitchen is any better.  I don't think they spend any energy in keeping their place tidy and clean.  If they can't bathe, they sure aren't going to be cleaning. 

8 hours ago, MargieB said:

$5550.00 seems like a lot, especially with all the money they have asked for the last few years.   I cannot understand why people keep enabling them by sending them money.  They keep asking for more and more.  Their sense of entitlement is astonishing.

$5500 doesn't include plane tickets or apartment costs (already covered by someone).  So that ask is strictly for the moving company, a vet visit to get sedating meds for the cats for the plane and updating their IDs.  The fundraiser has been up for a day and no donations yet.  I am sure they will get some but I think their supporters are tired of the constant asks.  They aren't going to raise the $.  I don't know if they have a plan B if not enough money is raised.  They can't have much stuff.  I think they have a nice bed but that's about it.  I would just have the bed moved, sell everything else and get new stuff (2nd hand or free obviously) after they move.  My parents had a tenant that moved across the country and left all their beautiful furniture because it was just too expensive to move it vs buying new stuff.  Getting a new couch, a kitchen table and a few other misc pieces will be cheaper than moving everything.

One more thought.  Art baking pies to sell is good but is Ryann contributing in any way?  I know he is disabled and just had top surgery but Art should really try to include *something* that Ryann has done or will do.  Even if it is just "Ryann did our budget and then found us a really cute apartment complex we could afford.  He also researched veterinary practices in the area and found a low cost one for our cats".  Just Something!  I think Art carries all the physical and mental labor of this couple - at least that is the impression they give. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I'd love to know what the conversation was between A & R and their financial backer. No doubt A&R pushed them hard to cover $5500 in moving expenses as well and were denied. It's a lot of money and perhaps the financiers didn't have it to give but I can't help but think it was a way of making A & R actually put some skin in the game. 

Also, I want to snark on the pies for a minute. First off, I highly doubt they have safe food handling. But also, don't they need a "certified clean" baking/prep location before they can legally advertise they're selling food? Additionally, if they're magically capable of making pies now why couldn't they have done that all along for income? 

• Upvote 8

Next they're gonna ask us to fund a special chair so that they can sit down while making pies, because, yanno.  It's hard.  And that would just prove that they are totally helping themselves, and if the chair didn't get funded it would be the fault of those terrible Christians that don't love their neighbors enough to pay for all their shit.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Also, I want to snark on the pies for a minute. First off, I highly doubt they have safe food handling. But also, don't they need a "certified clean" baking/prep location before they can legally advertise they're selling food? Additionally, if they're magically capable of making pies now why couldn't they have done that all along for income? 

They need to apply for a cottage food permit.  In order to fill out the application, they also have to have a food handler's card (or ServSafe), have their kitchen inspected, and pay the application fee. ($355). 

Cottage food laws exist for a reason. Just selling random baked goods on the street is illegal. And so is advertising that you are selling unapproved, unpermitted items. It's just rude to all the people who went through the legal channel - putting together a safe product, investing in the proper equipment and permits, and getting food handler training. 

https://agr.wa.gov/cottagefood

There's someone in my state who is trying to loosen restrictions on our cottage food laws and it's not going anywhere, thankfully. We really don't need an outbreak of listeria from eating improperly stored meat from a roadside stand. 

• Upvote 5

In previous fundraisers, they have listed each cost.  They need to do that this time as well.  $5500 just sounds like a money grab. And I maintain my stance they should only move the bed and start over with new furniture after their move.  They only need a bed and a cooking / dish washing / painting chair since they spend the day in bed anyway.  Too bad they don't drive because driving a moving truck would be a whole lot cheaper.  You can hire someone to load it and unload it for you and you drive it yourself. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, keepercjr said:

In previous fundraisers, they have listed each cost.  They need to do that this time as well.  $5500 just sounds like a money grab. And I maintain my stance they should only move the bed and start over with new furniture after their move.  They only need a bed and a cooking / dish washing / painting chair since they spend the day in bed anyway.  Too bad they don't drive because driving a moving truck would be a whole lot cheaper.  You can hire someone to load it and unload it for you and you drive it yourself. 

There's an asshole part of me that thinks they should take whatever fits on a greyhound bus and leave the rest behind. Yes, it sucks big time. It's not pleasant for so many reasons. But when you're pinching pennies to get by it's do-able. If they took only their cat/s and items that are sentimental to them they could probably even fly fairly cheaply to wherever mystery location they're moving to. It'd be more pleasant than the bus. 

• Upvote 5