IGNORED

J'Slaves Writing a Book

GeoBQn

A review of a Duggar book signing. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nolongerqu ... k-signing/

I think the weirdest part is that you can't give them anything. i can see not the under-18s, but like someone else said in the comments...there are legal adults there and surely they can decide on their own whether or not someone can hand them some thing. Or at least they SHOULD be able to. My greatest wish for those girls is for them to learn that they don't have to allow this. They are adults and I hope, at least, some of them come to realize that they can and should make their own decisions about their own lives.

That was very interesting, thanks for posting.

I find it incredibly rude that they were late. I know they are doing promotions for their book but they need to schedule these things better so that they can be on time. Maybe there were circumstances beyond their control but it is the Duggars so I kind of doubt that.

Also, I noticed Jinger writes her name with a J that almost looks like a G. Maybe she is going to change the spelling one day!

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they're always on time for those tv appearances where they announce births, you can't really be late to for live tv

but for charity events and signings? they don't give a fuck

Confiscated immediately? What, are they afraid someone is going to slip them some drugged brownies? Or a letter with instructions to flee the scene?

That was very interesting, thanks for posting.

I find it incredibly rude that they were late. I know they are doing promotions for their book but they need to schedule these things better so that they can be on time. Maybe there were circumstances beyond their control but it is the Duggars so I kind of doubt that.

Also, I noticed Jinger writes her name with a J that almost looks like a G. Maybe she is going to change the spelling one day!

I didn't notice that, but it does, lol.

The thing I noticed was Justin's writing. He did his N backwards...isn't he meant to be about 11? Hope it was just an accident cause he is sick of writing his name over and over (cause seriously, I think the kids are probably going to be bored with book signing!).

When I took a Russian course at the age of 23ish, I had to struggle wih writing my Ns correctly. But unless Justin is studying Russian...

Do they have Josie signing too? Is she even old enough to write? I don't think I learned my name till kindergarten.

Confiscated immediately? What, are they afraid someone is going to slip them some drugged brownies? Or a letter with instructions to flee the scene?

The outside world is evil.

It was kind of shitty that you couldn't get a pre-purchased book signed.

I've been to a few book signings like that though... it could be the publishers or whoever set it up, not necessarily the Duggars' doing (though I wouldn't put it past them).

It's pretty standard at book signings that you have to buy the book there. I don't have a problem with this as the shop is putting the function on and they should get something out of it. However, there should be plenty if notice beforehand about this expectation and an option for those who turn up not knowing. My great aunt (a well known children's author here in Australia) usually has "Books must be purchased on the day or a donation made to UNICEF" in the advertising for all book signings.

It's pretty standard at book signings that you have to buy the book there. I don't have a problem with this as the shop is putting the function on and they should get something out of it. However, there should be plenty if notice beforehand about this expectation and an option for those who turn up not knowing. My great aunt (a well known children's author here in Australia) usually has "Books must be purchased on the day or a donation made to UNICEF" in the advertising for all book signings.

As soon as you wrote about your great aunt, I wondered who she may be!

Ummm, not sure that I want to name her as that identifies me. She writes for both teens and children and has won the Australian Children's Book of the Year in the past. I think her books are amazing. Walk into any bookshop and I guarantee there are a couple of her books on the shelves. My grandmother is also an author but she writes non fiction. I can admit here, as it is anonymous, that I find them incredibly boring. (Due to the topics - not poor writing!) Both my grandmother and great aunt have been able to support themselves on their income from writing which is pretty rare.

The thing I noticed was Justin's writing. He did his N backwards...isn't he meant to be about 11? Hope it was just an accident cause he is sick of writing his name over and over (cause seriously, I think the kids are probably going to be bored with book signing!).

To me it just looks like a sloppy lowercase n, I think. The t, i and the u are lowercase, so he probably writes the lowercase n by starting up on the top left, then down first, up and then the curve to the right. At least that's how I do it, and if I'm sloppy then the line going up doesn't match up with the line going down.

I am always dumfounded that people like the Duggars and the Real Housewives of wherever get people lined up to buy their ghost written books. Are the faked lives portrayed on tv by the duggars, the real housewives or the honey booboos so attractive people want to be part of it? I don't get it. Most "reality tv" is either poor acting or some sort of horror show of a life, or both. Who would want a book about them.

Ughhh.. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I just have to get it off my chest:

What really, really bothers me about this whole thing is not that they had ghost writers (I mean, I'm not sure how far anyone would get reading an entire book written in the SOTDRT-type "language" .. It was probably way easier to write from quotes and interviews from the girls than to have to try and edit anything they produced), but that these girls really have no experience about any of the stuff that they're talking about (other than perhaps the family-relationship stuff). They've been told by their parents what to do for years, and have had (I'm sure) very little experience trying to come up with solutions/troubleshooting on their own. They come from a very one-sided approach. I wouldn't mind if they broached the book as "hey, we're not perfect, but this is what works for us, maybe it will work for you, too" but, from what I've read, it's more of "you're a heathen if you don't do it exactly this way," and people seem to be eating it up.

Mind. Exploding. Blaaaaarrrrggghhhhhhhhh.

It's like going to a car mechanic for advice on what is wrong but the guy has never seen a car before a doctor who had not gone to school for a operation.

Home schooling is really paying off for the Duggars. How is Smugger allowed to take time off from his job to follow the family around? Smugger's job is definitely just for show.

Home schooling is really paying off for the Duggars. How is Smugger allowed to take time off from his job to follow the family around? Smugger's job is definitely just for show.

I really wonder if any of them can have real jobs because of the family business? makes you wonder and of course d=he does not have a real job he is not qualified to work at mcdonalds. he would be lucky to last a week. want to super size jesus with that?

Do they have Josie signing too? Is she even old enough to write? I don't think I learned my name till kindergarten.

It's possible she is. My son was born a week before her and he loves writing his name and "signing" things. It depends on whether or not she is delayed with those skills due to her prematurity.

It's possible she is. My son was born a week before her and he loves writing his name and "signing" things. It depends on whether or not she is delayed with those skills due to her prematurity.

She could just "sign" with a squiggle. Some toddlers do that for cards for their parents, grandparents, siblings, etc.

I would not be surprised in the slightest that many a SOTDRT session focussed on practicing booksignings, including sitting in one place and signing for however long their appearances last.

I do have a question, however. Is it possible/allowed to get the book signed by just the four 'authors'? There is a snowballs chance in hell Id be able to show up for a signing (Im geographically challenged) but I don't want a book signed by people who only show up in the book in pictures or anecdotes.

I would not be surprised in the slightest that many a SOTDRT session focussed on practicing booksignings, including sitting in one place and signing for however long their appearances last.

I do have a question, however. Is it possible/allowed to get the book signed by just the four 'authors'? There is a snowballs chance in hell Id be able to show up for a signing (Im geographically challenged) but I don't want a book signed by people who only show up in the book in pictures or anecdotes.

Ooh find out for us!

If his job is related to raising awareness of the issues FRC promotes, his showing up at family events / book signings, etc. would likely be a big part of his job. Basically it means he's getting free publicity regarding his beliefs from TLC, book shops, morning shows etc. even if he isn't talking about the particular agenda of the FRC while with his family, he is connecting his image as a nice, relatable, family man from a famous family to the positions he'll then promote at various FRC venues. This seems like a goldmine for the FRC. Much smarter than having him sit in some office.

I'm sure if he was liberal with the same sort of connections working for a liberal advocacy group they would use the same strategies, it would be stupid not to.

Watch the video below! Is Jessa hiding a engagment ring? She is wearing a ring on here right hand. Why else would she try to hide it? ;)

Watch the video below! Is Jessa hiding a engagment ring? She is wearing a ring on here right hand. Why else would she try to hide it? ;)

Makes me sad to think sher probably has to tak3e it off in public for tours/etc.

Who's Smugger? I'm new to these names

Archived