IGNORED

Seewalds 47: Actions have Consequences; Sponsor Backlash Due to Jessa's Homophobia

HerNameIsBuffy

33 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I deal with anxiety and closed cabinets help. I feel overwhelmed when I can see everything at once. Especially if it’s looking messy. 

I never thought I was an anxious person, but seeing everything at once is a trigger for me too. I have to have clean counters and things in their place behind closed doors.

• Upvote 8

Speaking of kitchens, we are going to be refreshing our kitchen on the cheap next winter. Right now I call it the Brass Nightmare- it has those very warm yellowy oak cabinets and the bright brass pulls. And a super-tacky backsplash and countertop. We are just going to paint the cabinets, my husband will replace the countertop with a new formica, and either stick-on tile or bead-board for a backsplash. And new pulls. Anyway, there's a trend right now to paint the top cabinets white and the bottom a Williamsburg-type blue. What say, you, free jinger folks? Will that trend last awhile or be SOOO 2022 in a few years? We are selling maybe in about 5 years or so. 

Edited by fluffernutter

I’m short, so I actually really dislike upper cabinets.  I also don’t think I could handle open shelving either (neat freak and have anxiety). My ideal kitchen would be all lowers except except for a full cupboard wall. I figure if I have to drag a stool around anyways, I might as well consolidate the space I need it for. 

something sort of like this: 

C275538F-ECBB-4951-BB80-DF634754456C.thumb.jpeg.27b4d6e23a5794b1dc2dd16078367c5f.jpeg

or this:

CEEA1F1A-3A9A-4D02-8F67-DD722A357B94.thumb.jpeg.391690a6fa09f892f5235fab91166a03.jpeg

I adore DeVol kitchens. 

(also, sorry mods, I do not remember how to spoiler pictures). 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, fluffernutter said:

Speaking of kitchens, we are going to be refreshing our kitchen on the cheap next winter. Right now I call it the Brass Nightmare- it has those very warm yellowy oak cabinets and the bright brass pulls. And a super-tacky backsplash and countertop. We are just going to paint the cabinets, my husband will replace the countertop with a new formica, and either stick-on tile or bead-board for a backsplash. And new pulls. Anyway, there's a trend right now to paint the top cabinets white and the bottom a Williamsburg-type blue. What say, you, free jinger folks? Will that trend last awhile or be SOOO 2022 in a few years? We are selling maybe in about 5 years or so. 

I say go for it. Five years is not that far away that what you do now is going to look outdated. Beadboard is timeless, so that’d be my pick for backsplash; my sister has it and I like it. I’d select a countertop that’s not too busy, and stay with a neutral wall color. As long as when you show your home to sell you keep your kitchen clutter free (as well as the rest of your home), I don’t think a pop of color is going to deter buyers. Would love photos when you get around to the update!

One of my hobbies is looking at local real estate online and wow, a lot of hideously outdated homes. Some people never, ever update anything. The small city where I live has lots of older homes, like built in the early 1900s. The exterior of the houses have charm and character but many on the inside are hideously behind the times with panelling, drop ceilings, shag carpet. Many only have one bathroom and a clawfoot tub, no shower. The kitchens are often hack jobs. But, the houses sell. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 2

On 6/11/2022 at 9:21 PM, llucie said:

I really like the house, but i found it weird Jessa mentioning the resale value of the house when as far as we know they dont own it. Why care about the resale value of a house you are basically renting?

Maybe they will get a percentage of the profit because of labour and materials if they sell but as it is on church land I don't see it ever being sold 

• Upvote 2

I've been thinking about updating our kitchen so it's more open with the living room since those are the areas that people hang out when we're hosting holidays.  In theory one day I will do that AND have friends over again.  I so love our 50s kitchen with the knotty pine cabinets, but I don't know how I'll ever match them with anything new I put in.  And our house is like 10% knotty pine so it is hella dated.  It was a family home and I loved it as a kid.  I told my dad I was gonna buy it in 1990 and finally was a gainfully employed adult enough to buy it in 2017.

• Upvote 4

Just so everyone knows. Painting kitchen cabinets is a HUGE amount of work. I often don’t think it’s worth all that time, money and effort. Because of this, I usually say painting the cabinets should be last on the list of things to update. But if you enjoy spending many hours painting, I say go for it. Just make sure you look up the right way to paint them so they don’t start chipping in a year. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Just so everyone knows. Painting kitchen cabinets is a HUGE amount of work. I often don’t think it’s worth all that time, money and effort. Because of this, I usually say painting the cabinets should be last on the list of things to update. But if you enjoy spending many hours painting, I say go for it. Just make sure you look up the right way to paint them so they don’t start chipping in a year. 

I painted old kitchen cabinets decades ago before it ever became a thing, and agree that it requires quite a lot of work. (I’m a big fan of Zinser 1-2-3 Primer despite how much additional time it takes to apply before painting). And I hate to paint. However, paint is incredibly transformative, and one of the least expensive ways to update a room or piece of furniture, so I’ve done it often. 

Cabinets are a workhorse in the kitchen, heavily used, and even with the right paint and techniques you can’t always prevent wear and tear like chipping. But a kitchen doesn’t have to be magazine worthy perfection to be nice.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 7

15 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Spray painting is your friend , you can rent them

7 hours ago, ven said:

Spray painting is your friend , you can rent them

Oh yes those electric sprayers do look easier. But I admit I’ve never used one. I think I would need some practice first. 

I think just cleaning your cabinets really well and then changing the hardware can make a big change. That’s what we did with ours when we moved in. The old hardware was much too ornate for my taste and the new hardware was simpler. I think it looks much better than the original hardware from 1980. But the cabinets are still in decent shape. Except for one drawer that a certain two year old broke years ago 🙄

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think just cleaning your cabinets really well and then changing the hardware can make a big change.

💯 this. You can buy super nice hardware in bulk on Amazon or other closeout sites and it makes a huge difference. Also, look into refacing your cabinets. It’s not cheap, but it’s also not as expensive as people think, and the time it’s going to take to paint cabinets is also more than people think. 

On countertops…granite and quartz are also not as expensive as people think. Depending on how much you need and in what configuration, you might be able to get enough from the boneyard (where extras are sold) for not a whole lot more than you would have spent for Formica.

• Upvote 3

On 6/14/2022 at 9:57 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I've been thinking about updating our kitchen so it's more open with the living room since those are the areas that people hang out when we're hosting holidays.  In theory one day I will do that AND have friends over again.  I so love our 50s kitchen with the knotty pine cabinets, but I don't know how I'll ever match them with anything new I put in.  And our house is like 10% knotty pine so it is hella dated.  It was a family home and I loved it as a kid.  I told my dad I was gonna buy it in 1990 and finally was a gainfully employed adult enough to buy it in 2017.

You could always just not try matching at all, and go with painted/colour for anything you do put in.  Knotty pine often goes very nicely with painted wood.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

On 6/14/2022 at 5:11 PM, AussieKrissy said:

Maybe they will get a percentage of the profit because of labour and materials if they sell but as it is on church land I don't see it ever being sold 

The Church property is already divided into four separate parcels that are recorded individually. It looks like the main church property, two undeveloped side lots  - and the house. The church could easily sell the house. 

On 6/14/2022 at 6:57 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

That is so cool that you were able to buy the family home you loved! If you like your cabinets, why change them? “Updated” sometimes just means “in fashion” and that’s going to constantly change anyway. 

• Upvote 5

On 6/16/2022 at 10:08 AM, Mama Mia said:

If you like your cabinets, why change them?

There is a wall with a built in shadowbox between the kitchen and the living room and it is SO useless.  I can't put anything there or our cats or toddler (eventually) will knock them off.  The cats especially have a vendetta against anything that interferes with their climbing through every single shelf.  I'd like to get rid of the wall and maybe put in a bar/counter there for extra storage and prep space as well as opening up the whole area.  This actually wouldn't affect the existing cabinets at all, but I just would hate for everything to clash and I have zero experience with interior design so I don't even know how to start.  I'm also just in the daydream stage as we have other home projects that we have to prioritize. 

This is the house my grandfather built and it was a rental property for about 27 years.  I spent a lot of my childhood cleaning it and repainting between renters and doing yardwork here, just daydreaming about buying it one day.  We got very lucky.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I was like who is Ben with? Then I was like are they having another baby and then I was like oh another (old) photo shoot.. C4F949D8-F201-4197-9BB0-E9CE1C0A7C24.thumb.png.e5dfc9bf93bc50108c92df7e620605b1.png

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 2

So Jessa wrote a novel about how actual Jim Bob Duggar is the best father on Earth. To Ben she pretty much wrote: “Happy Fathers Day. Whatever.” 

She needs to sort out her priorities. 

• Upvote 15
  • Disgust 8
  • WTF 1

38 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

So Jessa wrote a novel about how actual Jim Bob Duggar is the best father on Earth. To Ben she pretty much wrote: “Happy Fathers Day. Whatever.” 

read in ron weasley's voice...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 22
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

She has. He pays her…!

/s 

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 5

Lots of comments on her post about her “perfect Pops” from the leg jumpers, but also quite a few from people who haven’t drank the Kool-aid.  Someone is paying close attention to these, as they are disappearing almost as fast as they go up.  Typical Duggar damage control.  

• Upvote 18

13 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Well, that was totally nauseating. 

But I think her priorities are fully sorted out. Boob must be supporting them financially and she's going to suck up to him as much as she can for as long as she can.

I wonder if posts like this piss off some of her less favored siblings.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Anne Of Gray Gables said:

I wonder if posts like this piss off some of her less favored siblings.

More than likely it does and is one of the reasons she posts it to get under their skin. You know, sibling rivalry and all that.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 7

18 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I was like who is Ben with? Then I was like are they having another baby and then I was like oh another (old) photo shoot.. C4F949D8-F201-4197-9BB0-E9CE1C0A7C24.thumb.png.e5dfc9bf93bc50108c92df7e620605b1.png

Does anyone remember when this photo was taken?

• Upvote 1

It's kind of a combo of styles from late 30s to early 50s, yet as a photo, I love it. I wonder what was running through their nutty heads as they were posing for it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

It's kind of a combo of styles from late 30s to early 50s, yet as a photo, I love it. I wonder what was running through their nutty heads as they were posing for it. 

Now our exteriors match our outdated views.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 19
  • I Agree 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic