IGNORED

Seewalds 47: Actions have Consequences; Sponsor Backlash Due to Jessa's Homophobia

HerNameIsBuffy

6 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I worked with a woman who if I remember correctly was her aunt. 

We have the weirdest degrees of separation around here.  :) 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

On 2/17/2022 at 5:04 AM, feministxtian said:

IBS...I'll go anytime anywhere. Privacy is not an issue either. I don't think I've gone alone since 1981

I have coeliac disease, so I’m the same. I don’t even care if the toilet looks like the one out of Trainspotting because I’m about to do something entirely unholy to it. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

On 2/16/2022 at 10:09 PM, sndral said:

The Romans, apparently.

Communal bathroom at Ephesus, built circa 1st C AD. Not my photo, btw, the concept of communal social toilets bothered me enough I chose not to photograph them - but I still remember them!

I’m not sure I would have managed living in a Roman City 2000 years ago.

DB590BEC-9B50-4FA9-9990-C4FA62D66F6A.jpeg

I also have recurring toilet dreams and I expect this image to be in my nightmares in 5 4 3 2 ........

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

My reoccurring nightmare is always me forgetting put on a damn shirt. I’ve never in my life forgotten my shirt. But I dream about it all the time! 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

If we are talking reoccurring dreams, one that I have from time to time is not being able to find my car in a parking lot. It’s not that I cannot remember where I parked. It’s that when I go back to where I left it, the car has been moved or stolen. 

• Upvote 5

My recurring nightmare is, I'm in college and it's finals week and I have to take my English and History finals but I realize somehow I've never attended the classes and I don't even know where they are meeting or what the finals are about. I figure maybe I can fake it and salvage the semester but the room numbers keep changing and I am running all over campus trying to find the right classroom.

I graduated from college 40+ years ago, and I still get this dream several times a year. I've made some progress though: the last couple of times I've been able to reason with myself a little bit in the dream, telling myself that I have a graduate degree and license, and surely they won't pull my license if I fail a couple of college classes. I continue to run all over campus but I'm not quite as panicked about it.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

On 2/17/2022 at 4:09 AM, sndral said:

The Romans, apparently.

Communal bathroom at Ephesus, built circa 1st C AD. Not my photo, btw, the concept of communal social toilets bothered me enough I chose not to photograph them - but I still remember them!

I’m not sure I would have managed living in a Roman City 2000 years ago.

DB590BEC-9B50-4FA9-9990-C4FA62D66F6A.jpeg

I got to know about that bathroom from the video game "The Forgotten City" which also featured the ... poop stick.
I watched an interview with the dev where he explained about it and other interesting historic bits they put into the game, I'll put it in the spoiler. That part starts at around the 25:25 mark.

Spoiler

My recurring dream is trying to get somewhere important such as an out of town work conference. While I'm trying to get there stuff always happens to delay me. One thing after another keeps happening to delay me and they are increasingly ridiculous. 

This happens often enough to where I wonder if it means something. 

• Upvote 10

On 2/21/2022 at 4:56 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

We have the weirdest degrees of separation around here.  :) 

I was born in suburban Chicago and I think I still have that accent, even though I lived most of my life in Ohio now. I bet we all have random connections...

Reoccurring dream wise I have the "gotta find a bathroom" dream, "teeth falling out" dream, the "at the airport but Im not packed nor can find my passport" dream, and then my most common one- being in a musical that I was in as a child/teen and having to go on stage and do my exact part- the blocking, singing, lines, everything.  That's when I know I am super stressed out.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, livinginthelight said:

My recurring nightmare is, I'm in college and it's finals week and I have to take my English and History finals but I realize somehow I've never attended the classes and I don't even know where they are meeting or what the finals are about. I figure maybe I can fake it and salvage the semester but the room numbers keep changing and I am running all over campus trying to find the right classroom.

I have this recurring dream too!  In fact I had one last week.  Sometimes it's in some college campus (but not the ones I attended) but a few have been in what is very similar to my high school building. 

What's another layer of weird is in reality I always attended my classes and never in a million years ever thought of faking it but one thing that I remember from those dreams was me specifically wondering why I missed the classes this time because I never did it before.   

13 hours ago, Cam said:

If we are talking reoccurring dreams, one that I have from time to time is not being able to find my car in a parking lot. It’s not that I cannot remember where I parked. It’s that when I go back to where I left it, the car has been moved or stolen. 

That's another one... trying to find my car in a parking lot.  And it's my exact car too not something else.   The last time I remember trying to use the remote lock / start feature in order to find it. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Jesquire said:

I was born in suburban Chicago and I think I still have that accent, even though I lived most of my life in Ohio now. I bet we all have random connections...

Reoccurring dream wise I have the "gotta find a bathroom" dream, "teeth falling out" dream, the "at the airport but Im not packed nor can find my passport" dream, and then my most common one- being in a musical that I was in as a child/teen and having to go on stage and do my exact part- the blocking, singing, lines, everything.  That's when I know I am super stressed out.

Weird aside but I remember John Cusak talking about a dream in an interview and he said dreaming about teeth falling out is sexual.  Just a random bit of trivia shoved in my brain that won't leave.  

I have three recurring dreams, so stress related and obvious.  When my life feels out of control I'll dream I'm somewhere like work, or a friends house, and suddenly I'm surrounded by all my stuff and moving boxes.  Like I'm packing to move, but all my stuff is in chaos and I'm panicked like trying to pack up before anyone sees the mess.  And the more I pack the more stuff appears needing to be packed.  

The other one is I'm with my dad and I'm hungry and he goes to a restaurant and asks if I have money to pay.  I'm shocked and never do and he's like too bad, and leaves me outside.  If you knew my dad in a million years he would never let anyone pay a check and got super pissy if someone tried and he always took care of me.  For me even though he's been gone over half my life now when I'm scared or upset or feeling overwhelmed I still go right to him in my mind.  He wasn't a perfect dad in some ways, but he was security and safety to me.   I knew I'd always be okay as long as he was there, so dreams where he's there but has no concern for my happiness are heart breaking for me and I always wake up crying.  

It's funny, he wasn't an affectionate or emotionally expressive man, but I never had any doubt when he was alive that he loved me unconditionally, that my well being (and that of my siblings) was always his top priority, and his greatest happiness came from us being happy, healthy, and safe.  As long as he was alive I knew I mattered.  Almost 30 years and the hole is still there, but so is the foundation he gave me.  As imperfect a parent as he was, what he got right he really got right.  

Sorry - digression.  But the third recurring dream is really weird.  It can be a nightmare, good dream, or neutral but there is always this same remote house I get to walking along this same path by a small body of water with the same building with blue and white striped awnings.  It's no where I've ever been nor is it anywhere I've seen in a picture or a movie....but I've dreamt about it since I was a kid a couple of times a year.  If I ever find myself in that place I'm going to freak out.  It's the one thing that makes me wonder if genetic memory is a thing, which I'd normally dismiss as woo.  In my dreams I belong there, it's not just a place I'm passing through.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 8

I am finding solidarity in the reoccurring dreams here. I also get the:

-only can find overflowing or completely exposed toilet dreams

-sometimes combined with topless dreams where I look down, and oops! No shirt!

-the finals week realization of never having attended class but can’t find the exam room. Oddly, I did skip a lot of classes in college and it never bothered me then or worked out badly for me (now, I just think: wasted opportunity!)

-teeth falling out - sorry, John Cusak, how can that be sexual? I have heard, though, that water in dreams reflects sexuality.

I’ll add to those my reoccurring stress dreams that are pretty revealing of my mental state:

-Driving on a curvy road and the brakes don’t work OR I’m going to park and pressing the brakes only pushes the gas.

-The mother-nightmares wherein I’m doing something independently in my dream and then suddenly realize: I’m a mother! And, oh NO, I’ve left my baby home alone and untended! Or where one of my small children is walking toward a busy road or some other dangerous situation and I’m sprinting but can’t catch up.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Weird aside but I remember John Cusak talking about a dream in an interview and he said dreaming about teeth falling out is sexual.  Just a random bit of trivia shoved in my brain that won't leave.  

I always read or was told (who knows) teeth out is money concerns

• Upvote 4

I’m one of the 0.5% of the population who doesn’t remember dreams. I’m nearly 40, and can only remember two dreams ever, both from a period when I was taking an SSRI for anxiety. I pretty good with visual imagery, and have an “inner voice” when processing thoughts (completely mind blowing when I learned those weren’t universal experiences). I haven’t found a great explanation for why I don’t remember dreams - most likely explanation is how my brain reacts to external stimuli, but I I’m generally a very alert/reactive person (hence the SSRI).

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I've had one recurring dream for many years. There's an emergency of some sort - a fire, a drowning, a bad guy running around the house, anything - and I have a phone in my hand but I can't dial 911.  I keep hitting 957 or 932 or any number that start's with 9 and doesn't end with 11.  It' maddening.

And then I have dreams about a dream I had as a small child. A nightmare really.  My Jack In The Box has escaped the box and is bouncing around the house like a madman.  I suspect some day I'll have a dream wherein I try to call for help to get Jack back in the box, but I can't dial 911....

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

teeth falling out - sorry, John Cusak, how can that be sexual?

It’s  a proxy for the loss of something Cusak has, but I’m guessing you don’t.😉

My ex, lawyer and later judge, a most conservative and proper sort, used to dream that he’d shown up at an important meeting entirely naked. He’d then tell himself, “Maybe if I’m very smart, no one will notice that I’m naked.”

Edited by Bastet
  • Haha 14

13 minutes ago, Anne Of Gray Gables said:

And then I have dreams about a dream I had as a small child. A nightmare really.  My Jack In The Box has escaped the box and is bouncing around the house like a madman.

The visual this depiction creates is hilarious, but your nightmare version is not funny. I feel bad for you but I also want to laugh. (OK, I did chuckle a bit, sorry.)

• Upvote 4

I am 52 years old and at least once every couple months I still have unprepared for a test/can't find the classroom/end of semester and I haven't attended class dreams.  And I was someone who was meticulous with homework throughout high school and college.

When I was pregnant with Pibblesgirl the Elder, I had a dream in which she had already been born and I was supposed to take her to a baby shower hosted by one of my mother's friends.  Only I didn't have a car seat, so I carried her in my arms while walking the 8 miles to the shower location.  Everyone asked me her name, and I couldn't remember what we had decided, so I kept making up names, and then couldn't remember what I already told people.  In this dream, I thought I was the most awful mother ever for not having a car seat, and for forgetting my daughter's name.  At least, when I realized I didn't have a car seat, I didn't drive my car.  In that, I beat the Rods.

Mr. Pibbles has a recurring dream where he is climbing Escher-like staircases.  When he finally gets to the top, he takes a flying leap.  It's even odds whether he can fly or if he wakes up just before going splat.

• Upvote 6

Very interesting and rather entertaining to read the different dream sequences. “Oh, no, I’m a mother!” cracked me up. Wonder who’s the better or worse parent, not remembering you even have a kid, or forgetting what her name is and making a bunch up! Haha!

Wow, the Jack in the Box dream kinda sounds It-esque. Has anyone made a movie about a Jack in the Box turned evil? 

Lawyer: I hope you’ll forgive me for being naked.

Meeting attendee: You aren’t wearing any clothes? My gosh, I was so impressed with your knowledgeable presentation I hadn’t even noticed! 

I, too, used to frequently have the dream of needing to call someone, often it’s an emergency, and punching in the wrong phone number over and over. I also used to have dreams where I got really mad at someone I know, like my husband or sister, and punching them in the chin over and over. Both dreams occurs far less these days.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 3

I’ve had the nightmare about having not attended a class and then failing too. For me, it’s one that I intended to drop but never did the paperwork. I wake up panicking about getting an F on my transcript. I also get ones about forgetting my child somewhere or rolling on her in my sleep, not feeding her etc. She’s always dying in my nightmares and it’s always my fault. Mom guilt is real even when sleeping! 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I dream that I need to drive a car, but I’m in the passenger or back seat. It’s not that the driver is incapacitated or anything, I’m just alone in a moving vehicle and not in the driver’s seat.

• I Agree 3

On 2/23/2022 at 5:33 PM, Knight of Ni said:

My recurring dream is trying to get somewhere important such as an out of town work conference. While I'm trying to get there stuff always happens to delay me. One thing after another keeps happening to delay me and they are increasingly ridiculous. 

This happens often enough to where I wonder if it means something. 

I’ve had this kind of nightmare, too! It’s different things I have to get to, sometimes even things that don’t make sense at all. But there is this feeling that something is all planned out, I just have to get going, and then random things keep happening that keep me from getting there. Like normal things - bus taking a detour, me using the wrong entrance to a building and needing to walk around in that building to get to my destination etc. - but whenever I get close and am almost there, there’s yet ANOTHER thing that happens.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

On 2/17/2022 at 12:04 AM, feministxtian said:

IBS...I'll go anytime anywhere. Privacy is not an issue either. I don't think I've gone alone since 1981

I have some IBS-like issues and I have to poop, suddenly & frequently at times. We have a lady at work that likes to walk into the bathroom(5 stalls) and announces how it smells in there and people shouldn’t be doing that at work. Sometimes I want to scream that I can’t be a home pooper or I’d rarely leave my house. I  courtesy flush, but, yes, sometimes it smells. 

On 2/21/2022 at 3:11 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I remember that in elementary school my friends and I would take turns “guarding the door” of the bathroom stall. In retrospect it seems like one of the silly things that kids do, but it would have made sense if the stall door didn’t lock.

We have another lady at work that makes long curtains out of toilet paper and drapes them over the door to cover the crack between wall and door, on both sides.  Such a waste of paper and no one is peeping at you anyway! It’s really annoying when she leaves there all flapping around. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 1

19 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

We have a lady at work that likes to walk into the bathroom(5 stalls) and announces how it smells in there and people shouldn’t be doing that at work.

That sounds exhausting. I would be tempted to hire that company that mails people cow shit for her xmas present.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

I have some of the weirdest dreams. The latest is that I'm driving or walking and my legs just stop working. I can't move, my legs won't listen to my brain. Then there's the making out with some guy dreams. I think my subconscious is telling my logical, awake brain that this single shit sucks ass. And, of course, the "can't find a bathroom" dreams. Those are the ones that wake me up to go pee. 

• Upvote 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic