IGNORED

Seewalds 47: Actions have Consequences; Sponsor Backlash Due to Jessa's Homophobia

HerNameIsBuffy

1539724135_Screenshot_20220707-153139-4242.thumb.png.7c5f335c71487d27b510f50fc94eeeb3.png786103472_Screenshot_20220707-153258-3823.thumb.png.54850691f7438742d5fcacb45d29c2c0.png

Here are screenshots for people who don't want to have to search Instagram for the actual comments.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 28
  • Love 1

Jessa's not going to allow for that! Are you going to allow for that?

No wonder she's Booby's favorite. After the pedophile. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 12

54 minutes ago, Anne Of Gray Gables said:

Jessa's not going to allow for that! Are you going to allow for that?

No wonder she's Booby's favorite. After the pedophile. 

I’m sure I’ll get downvoted or whatever - but I think it’s really gross when survivors of abuse are treated like shit because they aren’t responding the way other people think they should. 

• Upvote 16

I think it’s probably annoying as anything to get those kind of responses but it’s happening because they grew up on reality TV and continues on a show as adults. How many baby showers were filmed for the show? Amy made the photos public and fans (& others) feel entitled to weigh in.

Jessa doesn’t have to engage - just like Jill and Amy don’t have to. Looks like Amy did not post any guests intentionally - just her and Jill. That seems normal when you have however many thousand followers, fans, and creepers even like us analyzing every move. For Jessa to clear up the speculation in order to protect the family image seems pretty on brand. 

As a survivor of abusive family dynamics, I would not like a sibling to speak “for me” in this instance. If Jill wants to say she has “family support,” Ill believe it. 

• Upvote 25

1 hour ago, neuroticcat said:

As a survivor of abusive family dynamics, I would not like a sibling to speak “for me” in this instance. If Jill wants to say she has “family support,” Ill believe it. 

Good point. I had not thought of it that way. It’s not jessa’s opinion that matters on how jill feels about her family support it matters how Jill feels about it. Hadn’t thought about the flip side 

• Upvote 17

Jill has never called out her sisters for being unsupportive, has she?  Just her parents (or maybe just JB) if I remember accurately.  Jessa has also had blatantly obvious play dates with Jill's kids after the new family dynamics between Jill & the big house became obvious.

• Upvote 10

Really, EVERYONE in the family other than Jessa was busy? Right…it’s just easier to avoid the friction, duh. And I love how she basically pointed the finger at JB as being the problem. Again, duh. JB is a clown whose circus has been closed down.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

I love all the comments calling her out for “taking a public stand” on such an important issue as random strangers asking why family members weren’t at the baby shower but crickets about her brother’s very public trial and sentencing. 

I wonder if her rant was annoyance over all the comments gushing about how it’s so nice Jill has Amy to support her, do this for her etc. etc. Essentially implying that none of her immediate family supports her. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Jessa has always been salty( if she has a sweet side, it was certainly never shown). She wants all the rewards of being famous, but none of the consequences for being infamous. If she wants people to butt out, she should shut it all down ala Joe/Kendra and Josiah/ Lauren.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 11

9 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I notice Jim Bob didn’t make the list of people who love her.

Neither did her brothers so I assume she is only discussing females in the light of a babyshower.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

17 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I went to read the post and comment thread. How annoying would it be to have a baby shower and people are just commenting on which of your family did/did not attend  and what they meant? I get they are public figures, but if your sister comments some basic mild “ the shower was so fun, can’t wait to meet the baby” - it seems the responses shouldn’t be “ OMG, why aren’t you in the pictures!” “ who else was there?” “Glad Jill has Amy for support” “Derrick won’t let anyone post photos so it looks like she has no family support!”  and on and on. Yuck. How about “ those cupcakes look yummy” 

All the sisters involved seem to get along well enough. None of them seem to be on the outs. I’m sure they have different favorites and levels of closeness. Like with any family. I’m also sure they have very different opinions on their parents and the handling of the Josh situation and all of that ugly mess. That doesn’t mean they will shun each other. 

I get what you’re saying. I have a bunch of brothers and sisters. Over the years our relationships have grown and changed according to what’s going on in our lives. I once lived for a short while with my oldest sister when I was a young adult so we were close. Now she lives in the south and I am up north. Another sister and I later bonded when we had kids the same age. A brother with whom I had a good relationship for many years eventually went down the conservative right rabbit hole and I find it hard to be around him now. That said, in an emergency, I would be there for him if he needed me. I just don’t socialize with him. 

I loved my parents but they were dysfunctional. Some of my siblings tend to remember them through the lens of rose colored glasses. It took awhile but I accepted that all of my siblings see our childhoods in a slightly or largely different light. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 8

5 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Neither did her brothers so I assume she is only discussing females in the light of a babyshower.

This is probably a dumb question given how fundie they are but I'll ask it anyway.  I never follow them on social media. Are their baby showers always only for women? In my neck of the woods, men are often included in the showers. Not always but often.

Edited by livinginthelight

1 hour ago, livinginthelight said:

This is probably a dumb question given how fundie they are but I'll ask it anyway.  I never follow them on social media. Are their baby showers always only for women? In my neck of the woods, men are often included in the showers. Not always but often.

Not 100% sure, but I think I vaguely recall one or two mixed showers? But mostly women / girls only.  In my own circle there seemed to have been a trend of mixed showers for a few years, a decade or so ago,  but then they mostly went back to just women.  

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, livinginthelight said:

The shower for Spurgeon included men. It was Jeremy’s first appearance on the show, before his relationship with Jinger was public. I think that was influenced by Ben being a fun-loving 20-year-old; the production company wanting to make the filmed event more interesting; and a certain disregard of tradition that we’ve always seen in Ben and Jessa. I think that most fundie baby showers would be just women. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

17 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Which is weird because the way she worded her comment it sounded like she wasn’t talking about people not being at the shower but rather what people feel about Jill. So we know Michelle, the sisters and SILs love Jill. OK

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much-

• Upvote 9

This is not the first time Jessa has gotten "hoity toitty" when someone asked a question on social media the first being when someone asked about Jana being ticketed for child endangerment. This whole thing really bothers me because it highlights Jessas hypocrisy. Your family has made a good living preaching about what a close-knit family you are and how awful heathen, liberal women are for letting "other people raise their children." At this point Jessa you either need to "put up" or "shut up." 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

On 7/7/2022 at 9:31 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Jill has never called out her sisters for being unsupportive, has she?  Just her parents (or maybe just JB) if I remember accurately.  Jessa has also had blatantly obvious play dates with Jill's kids after the new family dynamics between Jill & the big house became obvious.

Agreed. There has been other instances of Jessa and Jill seeing each other after Jill had distanced herself from her parents. Jill was present at Ivy's birth (or was it Fern? I think it was Ivy). I think it prooves they kept good relationship enough if Jessa wished for her sister to be present while you are in labour and given birth.

Isn't also at that moment we learned Jill wasn't allowed at the big house without JB's permission? The story was that Jessa wanted to walk up and down the stairs to help during her labour and I think Jill mentionned she hadn't been to the big house in a while because her father had to be present to allow it.

It might be an unpopular opinion, but I think Jessa and Jill's relationship is genuine. I would guess some subject are maybe not to be discussed (like Jim Bob or Josh for instance) but that happens in family dynamics.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

I do think it’s helped by the fact that they are both separated from the sister they were closest to growing up. I got the impression that Jana and Jill were close with each other while Jessa and Jinger were close with each other. Jinger is in LA while Jana is behind Jim Bob’s iron curtain. They may have fallen together due to lack of options 

• Upvote 11

Marriage and motherhood have helped the older Duggar sisters distance themselves from their father’s patriarchal control. Yes, they still have to abide by their husband’s rules, but the hubbands are of a younger generation and have had different influences in their lives than JB. I think a lot of adult children, religious or not, continue to present a sanitized version of themselves to their parents and let their hair down when the parents aren’t around. Even tho Jana isn’t married, her sisters’ choices affect her. 

There’s also collective unconsciousness. I’ve experienced it with my group of sisters. We occasionally find we’ve all done the same thing without ever talking about it. For example, one year we each revamped the decorations on our Christmas tree, swapping out the old to create new themed trees. Another year we all updated our kitchens. We’d never mentioned these things to one another beforehand. We’ve showed up to few generic occasions wearing the same color. Or find we’ve all recently tried the same new food we’d never had before. What I’m getting at is the Duggar sisters may make changes, adjustments and have experiences similar to each other without even talking about it. Sometimes it just happens.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

On 7/7/2022 at 10:52 PM, SassyPants said:

Jessa has always been salty( if she has a sweet side, it was certainly never shown). She wants all the rewards of being famous, but none of the consequences for being infamous. If she wants people to butt out, she should shut it all down ala Joe/Kendra and Josiah/ Lauren.

I couldn’t agree more. We know all of nothing about Joken and Siren’s new babies. Because they went private. We don’t talk that much about them because there’s nothing to say. Jessa is trying to be Joanna Gaines with her “fixer upper” and getting pissy that she has any sort of negative feedback on anything. I can guarantee chip and jo get tons of negativity! But she probably doesn’t think if that. 

• Upvote 7

I was having a look at Reddit yesterday and saw a clip from the early show when they discussed getting all the laundry done in the old house. Jessa was 12, I think, and it struck me how easily she engaged with the camera, she's the only one who naturally smiled as she spoke, and explained their nutball situation with ease and confidence. The others were comfortable enough speaking, but didn't have that natural connection to the camera. 

I've seen this often in old clips being shared, and I don't remember if I noticed it when first watching the show, but she now stands out to me that way. In a normalish family, she'd have stood out as a strong public speaker, possibly even acting, though it's more difficult to tell. She'd have had some options based on an innate talent the others have had to develop over the years. 

And I think that is why she never seems sweet to everyone, but "bossy," instead. My little young boss at work is like that. As her second-in-command and being much older than her, I see the soft mushy underbelly beneath the sharper exterior. 

I wonder what Jessa would be like if she didn't cling to the narrower aspects of needing to rule her roost.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

9 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

I was having a look at Reddit yesterday and saw a clip from the early show when they discussed getting all the laundry done in the old house. Jessa was 12, I think, and it struck me how easily she engaged with the camera, she's the only one who naturally smiled as she spoke, and explained their nutball situation with ease and confidence. The others were comfortable enough speaking, but didn't have that natural connection to the camera. 

I've seen this often in old clips being shared, and I don't remember if I noticed it when first watching the show, but she now stands out to me that way. In a normalish family, she'd have stood out as a strong public speaker, possibly even acting, though it's more difficult to tell. She'd have had some options based on an innate talent the others have had to develop over the years. 

And I think that is why she never seems sweet to everyone, but "bossy," instead. My little young boss at work is like that. As her second-in-command and being much older than her, I see the soft mushy underbelly beneath the sharper exterior. 

I wonder what Jessa would be like if she didn't cling to the narrower aspects of needing to rule her roost.

Unfortunately Josh also came across that way in the first specials. Josh was the most charismatic boy in the family when it came to talking to the camera. 

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 1

I remember him being natural for the camera, and as well-spoken as she was. But he had also an affectation that she did not possess, though she has sometimes put one on in latter years. He reminded me of boys I knew in school that I never warmed to or trusted, though of course it was just a general impression, with no idea of what else lurked within. 

Speaking of who she is now, and who she did not or might not now ever become, I wonder what she'd say about the enthusiastic girl on the top bunk; if real perceptive honesty could be extracted from her.  

• Upvote 7

I know the video that’s being referred to where Jessa appears to be the most comfortable kid in front of the camera. She seems happy to have people around other than her family. She speaks confidently. She likes being asked about her home life, sort of basking in the light of some undivided attention for once in her young life. 

Why must Jessa be referred to as bossy? If she were a boy with the same personality traits and held fifth postion in the family, would “he” be given the same description? Or would “Jess” be called an assertive little leader? 

Some of other kids on that video appear introverted, cautious and look sorta sickly.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic