IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers/Helferichs 13: In the Middle of Jesus’ First Relationship

nelliebelle1197

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Don't forget to date your brothers, gals

Our 28 year old son lives a couple miles from our house and about once a month he and his little sister head out together and do something fun such as bowling, a movie, putt putt, a basketball game, or a concert. 

A few weeks ago he was lamenting not having a girlfriend to a coworker. My son asked the guy if he knew anyone nice that might be a good fit for him. The buddy said, “Sorry you broke up with your girlfriend, you guys always seemed so happy and comfortable together.”

My son was confused and said, “I haven’t had a girlfriend in over a year.” The buddy said, “What about the blonde I always see you with?”  Yeah, people thought he was dating his little sister. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Que the “Dueling Banjos” soundtrack!  

Edited by Bassett Lady
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 11
  • Love 2

My son’s girlfriend is 3”-4” taller than he is. People frequently mistake them for siblings, not because they look alike (they very much do not) but because she’s noticeably taller. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jasmar said:

My son’s girlfriend is 3”-4” taller than he is. People frequently mistake them for siblings, not because they look alike (they very much do not) but because she’s noticeably taller. 

People are weird. How does the girl being taller equate to being siblings? 

Edited by Bassett Lady
  • Upvote 7

19 hours ago, Bassett Lady said:

My best guess would be that many men are very uncomfortable with being with someone taller than them, so it makes more sense to people that they're siblings than that he's not self conscious about his height. 

For the record, I don't agree with this view, or with the culture we live in that tries to emasculate shorter men. My husband is 5'6", my partner is 5'7", I'm almost 5'6" myself. I like 'em short, makes it easier to kiss 🤷‍♀️

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Bassett Lady said:

The same way “dark” babies are always boys? 😂

ETA: I just realized I’m not in the Jill thread. For reference to anyone unfamiliar with her highness, she proclaimed that she thought one of her girl babies might be mistaken for a boy baby because she was darker (can’t remember if it was Nurie or Hannah).

Edited by Jasmar
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Jasmar said:

The same way “dark” babies are always boys? 😂

ETA: I just realized I’m not in the Jill thread. For reference to anyone unfamiliar with her highness, she proclaimed that she thought one of her girl babies might be mistaken for a boy baby because she was darker (can’t remember if it was Nurie or Hannah).

Or bald babies are always boys. So weird. 

Heistheway and her sister are hanging out with the Bont girls. Along with Ginny Bowers. I’m unsure of the blondes on the right. 

1F263243-91A3-4CCC-94C9-9C49F0F77B68.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Speaking of Bowers, the #JesusFirstRelationship couple are getting married in 67 days according to their Instas, and this is how Haley writes to her intended. She should be MAYBE picking out a dress for junior prom, not getting ready to get married and pop out babies.

image.png.194a8dc67b4ca2410449b169e2e4d147.png

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • WTF 2

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Those potheads getting married on 4-20.

In Golden Gate Park (San Francisco) maybe?😈🤣

There's a big celebration/gathering in the park every 4-20.😄

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Speaking of Bowers, the #JesusFirstRelationship couple are getting married in 67 days according to their Instas, and this is how Haley writes to her intended. She should be MAYBE picking out a dress for junior prom, not getting ready to get married and pop out babies.

image.png.194a8dc67b4ca2410449b169e2e4d147.png

Junior prom..? She's 18. She'd be a senior

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2

And she will have just turned 19 on the 4/3 per a Q&A on IG. Since they were getting married that fast, I thought maybe she would still be 18.

And her saying "Our generation" has normalized dating for years and long engagements, but they don't see the point. . Um, no. That's been a thing for generations.

They are having a very small and intimate wedding on her family's property. {Wonder if that means no Duggars?}

They don't want kids right away but do want a big family.

She knew he was "the one" on day they agreed to not text each other. It was really hard I guess and that's how she knew he was "the one." 🙃

3 hours ago, RebeccaRay said:

Junior prom..? She's 18. She'd be a senior

Since she turns 19 on 4/3, she would have graduated last year.

Edited by dawn9476
  • Upvote 5

7 hours ago, dawn9476 said:

And she will have just turned 19 on the 4/3 per a Q&A on IG. Since they were getting married that fast, I thought maybe she would still be 18.

And her saying "Our generation" has normalized dating for years and long engagements, but they don't see the point. . Um, no. That's been a thing for generations.

They are having a very small and intimate wedding on her family's property. {Wonder if that means no Duggars?}

They don't want kids right away but do want a big family.

She knew he was "the one" on day they agreed to not text each other. It was really hard I guess and that's how she knew he was "the one." 🙃

They don’t see the point in waiting because they want to have sex. Just say it. Because mainstream 19 year olds have long non married relationships because they have sex and enjoy being together without having the government get involved. And then when they realize they can’t spend forever with a guy they loved as a teen and eventually break up, they don’t have to go through a messy divorce. I say this as someone who was madly in love with my boyfriend at 19. And boy am I glad we never got married. But had lots of fun for years but thankfully never married. 

• Upvote 16

When I referred to "junior prom" I was riffing on her love letters to Carver, which look like they were written by a glitter-gel-pen loving tween. I was thinking about emotional maturity, not chronological age.

• Upvote 18

That goes back to my grandparents’ generation in the 1920s, if not farther. Get off my lawn, you young whippersnappers.

Oh, honey. At 18, everyone thinks their boyfriend is “the one.” I was convinced I would marry the first guy I met at college. Thank goodness for both of us that we didn’t stay together. 

• Upvote 10

56 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

When I referred to "junior prom" I was riffing on her love letters to Carver, which look like they were written by a glitter-gel-pen loving tween. I was thinking about emotional maturity, not chronological age.

See now that makes sense to your comment. Personally I took it as you were talking age.

• Upvote 1

I’ll tell you all about teen dating culture right after WW2 and into the 50s. In high school, you were expected to date around. If you went out on dates with different guys on Friday night and Saturday night, you were dating normally. No one saw you as a slut for dating around. You were just going with Jimmy to a football game on Friday night where you met all your friends and hung out. And then on Saturday night Billy took you to the school dance and probably danced with multiple guys that night. I know this because my grandparents graduated from high school in the late 40s. Parents didn’t actually want you getting really serious and going steady with one guy in high school. Because they thought you were more likely to have sex before marriage if you were head over heels in love and going steady. They didn’t want their kids getting married in high school either. So they wanted you to go out with a bunch of guys. But yes, plenty of people went steady and then broke up. But the advice back then was to date around in high school. And there was plenty of kissing and “necking.” 

Of course the fundies looking at the good old days would never adhere to this. They think dating around and kissing different people before marriage is a sin. But they somehow want to get back to the 1950s that never existed. 

• Upvote 12

I really like to know when they actually met and started talking. The fact that they made it public just a couple of months after she turned 18 has always had me suspicious.

ETA: People thought it was icky when they assumed he was sniffing around an underage Hannie Duggar because they were in pictures together with her siblings. It seems like he was sniffing around an underage girl. Just not Hannie.

Edited by dawn9476
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

24 minutes ago, dawn9476 said:

I really like to know when they actually met and started talking. The fact that they made it public just a couple of months after she turned 18 has always had me suspicious.

ETA: People thought it was icky when they assumed he was sniffing around an underage Hannie Duggar because they were in pictures together with her siblings. It seems like he was sniffing around an underage girl. Just not Hannie.

This girl Hailey is basically the same age as Hannie. They were both born in the same year. Hannie is 6 months younger than Hailey.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4

A Bontrager finally being honest for once about how hard it can be to go on tour. They even have a decent sized bus. It’s bigger than the Rod bus. Yet she talks about being squished on it. When the Rods actually have 13 kids, not 10 like the Bonts. So if the Bonts felt squished, on a bigger bus, just imagine how the Rods felt on theirs. 

9B167F2C-391F-4C99-99B8-4A970A752D04.jpeg

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

A Bontrager finally being honest for once about how hard it can be to go on tour. They even have a decent sized bus. It’s bigger than the Rod bus. Yet she talks about being squished on it. When the Rods actually have 13 kids, not 10 like the Bonts. So if the Bonts felt squished, on a bigger bus, just imagine how the Rods felt on theirs. 

9B167F2C-391F-4C99-99B8-4A970A752D04.jpeg

Oh dear, good to hear that, but maybe I'm too pedantic to not read that and grumble a few times. These days surely even the apps they type these posts on would pick up on the errors and help them?

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2024 at 9:19 AM, postscript said:

That goes back to my grandparents’ generation in the 1920s, if not farther. Get off my lawn, you young whippersnappers.

Oh, honey. At 18, everyone thinks their boyfriend is “the one.” I was convinced I would marry the first guy I met at college. Thank goodness for both of us that we didn’t stay together. 

I spent the entire summer before I left for college flirting with a girl in my class. Had whole ass plans to go on a date during the first week of class. My cousin had gotten married two weeks before I graduated from high school so once we made date plans I started daydreaming about my cousin’s wedding and imagining us instead of him and his wife.

Got to school. She was in my first ever college class. Didn’t say a WORD to each other until November. Then one day I looked at her and was like uhhh so what happened with this summer? And she shrugged and was like uhhh idk. And then she caught cheating on a final and dropped out and we never spoke again.

• Upvote 3

I have a similar experience- When I was a senior in high school I had a massive crush on a friend. We ended up at the same college and my crush went away super quickly. As soon as my world got bigger I realized we just didn’t fit. There was nothing wrong with him- he was, and still is a great guy. He’s just not for me. These fundi girls are never given the chance for their world to get bigger and that’s sad for me. They may end up with “perfectly fine” marriages but they’re never given the chance to look outside their circle. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

I accidentally posted this on another thread. I’ll now post it here. The Bontrager girls seem to be obsessed with their dad’s opinion. But literally never mention their mom’s opinions. 

4B2A6AD3-A945-4A8A-9CBE-BA43ECDF778F.jpeg

• Sad 1

I guess that Becky no longer has independent opinions. Marlin's are hers. 

• I Agree 9