IGNORED

Seewalds 47: Actions have Consequences; Sponsor Backlash Due to Jessa's Homophobia

HerNameIsBuffy

This is a tad interesting but has nothing to do with squat: I watched part of Jessa's recent house video and she showed the front of the house with the new siding just installed. I found Ben's church on google maps and did a street view so I could see their house in the back and it looked like Jessa's "after" shot with the new siding. The street view date was May 2022. I rarely have coincidences god's providence like this in my precious, blessed, surreal (and all their other vomit words) season of life.

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Can anyone source a link showing that Ben is THE Pastor of that church. I can’t seem to find that info anywhere. Also, what is the congregation size? TIA

His church is Immanuel Baptist Springdale. The sermons on the church's website are all from Ben, this past Sunday's being the most recent. It was 45 minutes long, so I assume he's the main guy. 

I have no clue as to congregation size.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

If I had to guess, the congregation is prob 150-200 based off size of the sanctuary. They dont have any type of leadership listed on their website, it may be in the password protected member directory. 

If Ben is preaching pretty much every Sunday and was given a house on property? They are for sure paying him. I wouldn't be surprised if he was just a teaching pastor though. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OldFadedStar said:

If I had to guess, the congregation is prob 150-200 based off size of the sanctuary. They dont have any type of leadership listed on their website, it may be in the password protected member directory. 

If Ben is preaching pretty much every Sunday and was given a house on property? They are for sure paying him. I wouldn't be surprised if he was just a teaching pastor though. 

Password protected for member information, I understand, but many websites do list the Pastor on the open homepage. Also, there are other churches with that same name in the general vicinity of NW AR that do list the name of the ministerial staff on their open homepage.

I agree that Ben likely is employed in some capacity at the church, but I doubt he is the called Pastor, especially if the congregation has more than 50 people.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 1

Several websites think that the Pastor at Immanuel is named Mickey Merrick

I don't the term Pastor is used the same in evangelical or pentacostal circles as in other churches. I think Pastor is just what they call all the clergy. At Catholic churches, one priest might be the official pastor of the parish, but all the priests are called "Father".  I think most of their clergy is called "pastor" and then maybe official titles like "Head Pastor", "Youth Pastor", etc.

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

I like the new kitchen, although I wouldn’t suggest open shelving for the Seewalds, especially near a window. 

• Upvote 1

I really like the house, but i found it weird Jessa mentioning the resale value of the house when as far as we know they dont own it. Why care about the resale value of a house you are basically renting?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I like the new kitchen, although I wouldn’t suggest open shelving for the Seewalds, especially near a window. 

I hate open shelving in a kitchen. It’s so impractical. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

35 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I hate open shelving in a kitchen. It’s so impractical. 

Exactly. I don’t care for it, either. Way too cluttery of a look. We started with a fixer upper years ago on a very old house and I’ve added so much storage that old houses notoriously lacked. I could never go with no upper kitchen cabinets but home remodeling shows these days make it seem trendy. I always wonder if people who go that route regret it. Might look artsy but how well does it function? 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Cam said:

Exactly. I don’t care for it, either. Way too cluttery of a look. We started with a fixer upper years ago on a very old house and I’ve added so much storage that old houses notoriously lacked. I could never go with no upper kitchen cabinets but home remodeling shows these days make it seem trendy. I always wonder if people who go that route regret it. Might look artsy but how well does it function? 

I think many do. And that’s why I believe it will go out of style soon. I have a few things sitting atop my upper cabinets. I wish so much they went all the way up to the ceiling. But the stuff on top of the cabinets gets so dirty! While the stuff inside my cabinets doesn’t.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 9

44 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think many do. And that’s why I believe it will go out of style soon. I have a few things sitting atop my upper cabinets. I wish so much they went all the way up to the ceiling. But the stuff on top of the cabinets gets so dirty! While the stuff inside my cabinets doesn’t.

As someone with an aversion to dusting and a dedication to keeping household chores simple, I agree that cabinets keep stuff cleaner longer. One of my life’s mottos is “work smarter not harder”. I don’t have a lot of little knicky knacky decor strewn all over because—too much work to dust and keep clean! 

• Upvote 14

1 hour ago, Cam said:

I’m Autistic and Mr Girls has ADHD so open shelving is the most functional option for us (and we’ve been doing it for years). I didn’t realize it was trendy now 😂

Anyhow, we both struggle with object permanence and can’t usually remember that we even own something if it’s not visible. Someday maybe I can afford to put glass doors on all the cabinets, but until then we just always remove the doors from the uppers and label the lowers (pet fur getting in my dishes trumps accessibility for lower cabinets). 

So it’s not a style thing for everyone. It’s much more accessible for some! Most neurodivergent folks I know personally have either extensively labeled their cabinets or removed the doors from at least the upper ones (and the lower ones too if they don’t have pets or children).

Edited by GiggleOfGirls
Minor clarification
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, GiggleOfGirls said:

I’m Autistic and Mr Girls has ADHD so open shelving is the most functional option for us (and we’ve been doing it for years). I didn’t realize it was trendy now 😂

Anyhow, we both struggle with object permanence and can’t usually remember that we even own something if it’s not visible. Someday maybe I can afford to put glass doors on all the cabinets, but until then we just always remove the doors from the uppers and label the lowers (pet fur getting in my dishes trumps accessibility for lower cabinets). 

So it’s not a style thing for everyone. It’s much more accessible for some! Most neurodivergent folks I know personally have either extensively labeled their cabinets or removed the doors from at least the upper ones (and the lower ones too if they don’t have pets or children).

We have glass doors in the corner kitchen cabinets and I love them! That’s where I put the prettiest stuff we use. It’s even better when there’s a small bit of lighting in them too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I could never have open shelving. And the dust, on dishes? No! 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GiggleOfGirls said:

Thanks for the insight into how you and others struggle with object permanence. I have seen doorless cabinets which are as functional as ones with doors (other than not keeping out dust) as opposed to shelves which don’t seem to have nearly the space to hold things like cabinets. I have not seen the ones in Jessa’s kitchen remodel.

For myself, too much clutter in a kitchen causes me anxiety. It’s sort of a sensory overload and makes it harder for me to concentrate. I have a nice kitchen and am a good cook, but it’s not my favorite room in the house nor is cooking my favorite activity.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 9

I have a cat and already find hair EVERYWHERE. It would be so much worse without cabinets. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I have a cat and already find hair EVERYWHERE. It would be so much worse without cabinets. 

That reminds me, whatever happened to the kitten Ivy got as a present?🤔

Edited by Snarkasarus Rex
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I don’t think the Duggars ever have indoor cats. So it’s probably dead or ran off. 

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Cam said:

Thanks for the insight into how you and others struggle with object permanence. I have seen doorless cabinets which are as functional as ones with doors (other than not keeping out dust) as opposed to shelves which don’t seem to have nearly the space to hold things like cabinets. I have not seen the ones in Jessa’s kitchen remodel.

For myself, too much clutter in a kitchen causes me anxiety. It’s sort of a sensory overload and makes it harder for me to concentrate. I have a nice kitchen and am a good cook, but it’s not my favorite room in the house nor is cooking my favorite activity.

Same. Also autistic, and I have various collections in open bookcases all around my apartment, but my kitchen is very small, and I think I would go out of my mind if everything in it was visible, and then too, had to be recleaned often because of proximity to stovetop. I am nearly continually rearranging the things I need to keep out on the counters, because it really agitates me how they want to fill up the space at me. I did put a set of shelves for a little open pantry in my laundry room so I don't have to hunt through a cabinet for things, but I don't have to see any of it unless I need it. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Are you thinking of Evelyn? Joy posted that video of her getting one for her birthday.

It seems clear they are buying the house, even if it hasn’t made it to the stage where it’s on the public records website yet.  It currently belongs to the church, but it’s a separate parcel, so shouldn’t be an issue. Got to say their county property search site is so much better and more detailed than my local one! 

I’m liking how the house is coming together. The floors/walls/cabinets all go together well, and the black knobs and pulls look very sleek, and easy with the color scheme to switch out accents. 

I was expecting walls of open shelves from everyone’s description - but it’s just one cabinet they are replacing with shelves 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, indianabones said:

Are you thinking of Evelyn? Joy posted that video of her getting one for her birthday.

That's what I was thinking. I don't ever recall the Seewalds getting an animal. Thank Lord Daniel.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

It seems clear they are buying the house, even if it hasn’t made it to the stage where it’s on the public records website yet.  It currently belongs to the church, but it’s a separate parcel, so shouldn’t be an issue. Got to say their county property search site is so much better and more detailed than my local one! 

I’m liking how the house is coming together. The floors/walls/cabinets all go together well, and the black knobs and pulls look very sleek, and easy with the color scheme to switch out accents. 

I was expecting walls of open shelves from everyone’s description - but it’s just one cabinet they are replacing with shelves 

But she mentioned the shelf is where they would place their white dishes. I assumed everyday dishes. I could be wrong. I live in earthquake country, so stacked dishes on open shelves would be a no go for me.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

I deal with anxiety and closed cabinets help. I feel overwhelmed when I can see everything at once. Especially if it’s looking messy. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1