IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 10: Living in Their Own Instagram Sitcom

nelliebelle1197

7 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Joy looks so much like Jill here. 

I have never seen it before but I do see it in this pic. I usually see a lot of Jessa especially at a distance in joy. Odd because close up I can’t see it. It’s funny because Jeremy put a pic up of Jinger that looked like Jill and I have always thought Jill was the most unique looking of the girls. I know her and Jana were pretty close looking as children though.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

And Jim Bob!

I always thought Jana, Jill and Joy resembled Jim Bob the most out of the older girls.  In the younger crew, Jenni and Jordyn seem to favor JB.  

I used to think Hannie resembled Josh when she was younger, but thankfully she no longer does.  

Edited by HeartsAFundie

On 4/4/2022 at 1:06 PM, CanadianMamam said:

Carlin posted about Whitney, Tori, Michal and Josie all visiting her in the hospital. Katie is on her way today. Alyssa is in Florida but did a face time. Erin's absence is glaring. 

Maybe Erin called her but didn't tell you.

• Upvote 2
  • Fuck You 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2022 at 5:07 AM, backyard sylph said:

Did they say they'd pronounce it that way, though? They seem kind of dumb, but not dumb enough to think people will see Zade as Zaheed.

As to Layla or Leila, I am reminded of a favorite local restaurant called Leyla, which is owned by a Turkish chef. There are some Turkish restaurants over a half hour away; in this area, the Mediterranean runs mainly to Turkish, so I was glad to have one move in closer to me, and I like it better anyway. I was worried it wouldn't survive the past two years, but it's doing well enough, as is my tiny local ramen restaurant. 

(It's a day off from work and I am thinking about having lots of time to eat lots of things.)

Layla always makes me think of Eric Clapton..  though I doubt that's where they got the idea. :air guitar: "Laylaaaaaa you've got me on my knees, Laayyyllaa..." :music-headbanger:

On 3/29/2022 at 4:37 AM, HeartsAFundie said:

She seemed to be in such a deadlock with Oliver and Knox...where did Zade even come from?  Unless the whole Oliver and Knox thing was a red herring to throw people off and keep them interested, now that BUB is off the air.    

I also note little Zade already has his prerequisite Instagram account as well. 

The eyeroll is towards the baby's Instagram account not you! By the time the kid is old enough to do social media Instagram will be the mall Glamor Shots of this era, and assuming the kids aren't beat into fundie submission, they'll just be super embarrassed how extra their mom is. I can see her trying to keep up with the trends as she gets older built falling further behind, but honestly thinking she's just as on top of the generic widespread fashion/home decorating/makeup and hair as she is now.

• Upvote 5

The same with me and Layla. Doesn’t seem like a very fundie name.
Also Mrs Doubtfire. Layla, don’t make me get the hose.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, zee_four said:

The eyeroll is towards the baby's Instagram account not you! By the time the kid is old enough to do social media Instagram will be the mall Glamor Shots of this era, and assuming the kids aren't beat into fundie submission, they'll just be super embarrassed how extra their mom is. I can see her trying to keep up with the trends as she gets older built falling further behind, but honestly thinking she's just as on top of the generic widespread fashion/home decorating/makeup and hair as she is now.

Honestly I see why she creates  the kids Instagrams because I keep getting Instagram suggestions for Bates RP accounts. And there is actually already a zadepatrickstewart.rp account. So it might seem ridiculous to is, but obviously there are people who are going to use her kids name. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 4
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

And there is actually already a zadepatrickstewart.rp account.

People are so weird.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 11

Late on this but I actually really like the name Zade. Much, much better than Kade or Zane (too much like zany) imo. To me it hits a sweet spot where it sounds fresh but is still recognizable as a name, maybe like Kai 30-40 years ago. Carlin has picked the 2nd best names after Josie imo. 

Also see no problem with the same/similar names among cousins. Maybe cause I come from an Irish Catholic background and have multiple first cousins named Michael, John, Joseph, etc. 🤷🏻

• Upvote 5

I'm not a big fan of the name Zade, but I wouldn't take into account any of my relatives' names when picking out kid names.  There are few family members I don't like and their names would be off the list because I have a negative connotation about them, but otherwise nah.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Carlin posted an Instagram story of their new fireplace… it had brick and a white mantle around it that they took out. She’s planning to just make it a white box. I know obvious everyone has their different styles and to each their own! But I feel like it looked so much better before… I wonder if their house will be very bland/plain like some of her sisters. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

12 minutes ago, Keys said:

Carlin posted an Instagram story of their new fireplace… it had brick and a white mantle around it that they took out. She’s planning to just make it a white box. I know obvious everyone has their different styles and to each their own! But I feel like it looked so much better before… I wonder if their house will be very bland/plain like some of her sisters. 

I love brick, although I think that white mantle did not go with the brick fireplace. Personally, I would have done away with the mantle and left the brick, but that’s my personal aesthetic (and I’m not a young 20 something renovating my first home.)

• Upvote 1

I would probably do the same as Carlin. I don't like the rural style of the fireplace, I would prefer a more modern style.

It does not mean it will be plain though, maybe she will paint the wall, put on some wallpaper or decorate in another way.

17 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I love brick, although I think that white mantle did not go with the brick fireplace. Personally, I would have done away with the mantle and left the brick, but that’s my personal aesthetic (and I’m not a young 20 something renovating my first home.)

Same. I like brick. Painting brick bugs me because once you paint it, there’s no going back. It’s like that forever now. You can’t get the paint off of brick with out an extreme amount of work. And it’s never worth it. So if it’s painted, that’s it.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I know these folks worked for years as youngsters, and had their privacy and anonymity sold away by their parents, but darn, they sure seem to have zero money issues. Can you imagine being barely into your 20s, havent even launched your career (Evan) and working in a small, religious, family business (Carlin), having 2 kids, traveling at will, purchasing your first house and having enough liquid cash to be able to fix it up?  In my middle class circle, this is practically unheard of. Most folks have a starter home that takes years to upgrade- 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I know these folks worked for years as youngsters, and had their privacy and anonymity sold away by their parents, but darn, they sure seem to have zero money issues. Can you imagine being barely into your 20s, havent even launched your career (Evan) and working in a small, religious, family business (Carlin), having 2 kids, traveling at will, purchasing your first house and having enough liquid cash to be able to fix it up?  In my middle class circle, this is practically unheard of. Most folks have a starter home that takes years to upgrade- 

I know right, how do they do all this so young.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Her parents started off differently! Or at least they lived very different when they had more than a dozen children and crammed them into a much too small house with skinny horses and a broken trampoline in the yard. 

• Upvote 8

@SassyPants I think with Carlin, Josie, and Alyssa, we are seeing the earning power of skilled trades (their husbands) combined with income from the show and fairly aggressive influencer hustles (also possible bc of the show) plus any earnings from Carlin and Josie’s businesses.  My understanding with a lot of skilled trades is that the entry level work pays pretty well but then there’s less room for wage growth throughout your career. Crucially, at least Evan and Kelton are in fields where they earn as they train, so that also helps with having an income young.

We don’t know what kind of profit, if any, Bates Sisters Boutique is making, but Josie’s businesses seem to have relatively little overheard and I don’t doubt she’s making a profit. Plus Carlin and Evan have a YouTube channel (also thanks to following from the show) and they seem to be diligent about that and so probably have some steady cash from that, too. Alyssa also has a regular YouTube, although I don’t know how successful it is. 

So they have a solid base in the trades with varied supplemental income. Then add in living in a region where a house costs what a condo would cost me in my area (idk about Florida, but in Knoxville this is true), combined with access to large amounts of free renovation labor, some of it skilled. Then they have access to at least some free childcare. Lifestyle-wise, their influencer streams also provide free clothes and various odds and ends. And I don’t know how influencer taxes are structured, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they could write off a lot of expenses related to filming YouTube content or doing product reviews. On top of all of this, I doubt any of them feel the need to save for their kids to go to college, and they’re so young that they’re probably not feeling the need to start planning for retirement (it’s never too early, but cultures around that vary widely).

It’ll be very interesting to see how things shake out as they go longer without the income from the show. But Carlin and Josie have really hustled to leverage having a large following for all it’s worth, and I expect their families to be the most financially comfortable of the siblings long term, absent any major upsets. I don’t know that it’s worth being raised in a cult, but they’re certainly working with the hand they’ve been dealt. 

• Upvote 13

6 hours ago, Dbm said:

The bates sisters in a picture ...

Reveal hidden contents

279795937_4912416468807556_6245269658994791765_n.jpg.bff6adb0b840b5937d00ca1fe148a95d.jpg

Man, watching those stories made it very obvious that Carlin has never painted swatches on a wall. Only one (poorly applied) coat, the smallest swatches possible, every color looking the same... 

Now, let's see if she cleans her walls before painting!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

13 hours ago, Dominionatrix said:

And I don’t know how influencer taxes are structured, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they could write off a lot of expenses related to filming YouTube content or doing product reviews. On top of all of this, I doubt any of them feel the need to save for their kids to go to college, and they’re so young that they’re probably not feeling the need to start planning for retirement (it’s never too early, but cultures around that vary widely).

It’ll be very interesting to see how things shake out as they go longer without the income from the show. But Carlin and Josie have really hustled to leverage having a large following for all it’s worth, and I expect their families to be the most financially comfortable of the siblings long term, absent any major upsets. I don’t know that it’s worth being raised in a cult, but they’re certainly working with the hand they’ve been dealt. 

Carlin has mentioned Evan really liking budgeting and he’s shared the budgeting app he uses, so I’m pretty sure he’s already saving for retirement.

• Upvote 4

Spoiler
23 hours ago, Dominionatrix said:

@SassyPants I think with Carlin, Josie, and Alyssa, we are seeing the earning power of skilled trades (their husbands) combined with income from the show and fairly aggressive influencer hustles (also possible bc of the show) plus any earnings from Carlin and Josie’s businesses.  My understanding with a lot of skilled trades is that the entry level work pays pretty well but then there’s less room for wage growth throughout your career. Crucially, at least Evan and Kelton are in fields where they earn as they train, so that also helps with having an income young.

We don’t know what kind of profit, if any, Bates Sisters Boutique is making, but Josie’s businesses seem to have relatively little overheard and I don’t doubt she’s making a profit. Plus Carlin and Evan have a YouTube channel (also thanks to following from the show) and they seem to be diligent about that and so probably have some steady cash from that, too. Alyssa also has a regular YouTube, although I don’t know how successful it is. 

So they have a solid base in the trades with varied supplemental income. Then add in living in a region where a house costs what a condo would cost me in my area (idk about Florida, but in Knoxville this is true), combined with access to large amounts of free renovation labor, some of it skilled. Then they have access to at least some free childcare. Lifestyle-wise, their influencer streams also provide free clothes and various odds and ends. And I don’t know how influencer taxes are structured, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they could write off a lot of expenses related to filming YouTube content or doing product reviews. On top of all of this, I doubt any of them feel the need to save for their kids to go to college, and they’re so young that they’re probably not feeling the need to start planning for retirement (it’s never too early, but cultures around that vary widely).

Quoting myself to add that I should really include Josie under the heading of having a skilled trade. Even if she doesn’t work full time, she is a trained (presumably licensed?) professional. 

• Upvote 10

On 5/4/2022 at 8:59 PM, Dominionatrix said:

I agree it will be interesting to see how they do as they move farther away from their show and the associated perks, including name recognition. In addition, to see which families live within their means and which ones do not.

Happy to read that Evan is good with money and budgets…that always helps.

• Upvote 4

I’m glad Carlin and Evan are in a neighborhood. When fundies raise their kids in rural places with neighbors that are sort of far, they are more isolationist in my opinion. If kids live in a rural area and go to school, it’s not a big deal since they see other kids at school. But if they live where there are few kids nearby and they homeschool, I think the parents isolate too much. Hopefully carlin and Evan allow the kids to make friends with some other neighborhood kids. 

• Upvote 11

• samurai_sarah locked this topic