IGNORED

Arndts (Safe at Home) 7: Waiting on Wedding Photos

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

• Upvote 2

My parents got married on a Sunday afternoon because it was 1946 in New York City, and the Roman Catholic archdiocese allowed Sunday weddings to accommodate the unprecedented number of marriages immediately following WWII.

I got married on a Friday evening because I wanted a candlelight wedding, and Catholic churches didn’t allow Saturday weddings past early afternoon, so as not to conflict with the vigil Mass. 

• Upvote 7

I got married on a Friday because it was cheaper. Also I had a 6 month engagement and Saturdays get booked first.

My ex-BIL got married on a Thursday, in a big overnight affair several hours away from where he and most of the guests lived. So everyone who wanted to attend had to take 2 days off work AND find overnight care for their kids because it was a kid-free wedding on a school day. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 2

22 hours ago, Smee said:

My ex-BIL got married on a Thursday, in a big overnight affair several hours away from where he and most of the guests lived. So everyone who wanted to attend had to take 2 days off work AND find overnight care for their kids because it was a kid-free wedding on a school day. 

I have to think people who do this sort of thing really want a small wedding but they think people's feeling will be hurt if they don't get an invite. So they make it as inconvenient and expensive as possible to attend.

ETA: speaking strictly for myself, no, no my feelings will not be hurt. Wedding announcements were made especially for those who don't want a lot of people (in my case any) at their wedding.

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 3

My feelings are never hurt when a friend doesn’t ask me to be a bridesmaid. My very good friend had a second wedding and I was her maid of honor the first time around. That was enough for me. She knows how I feel about being a bridesmaid. So her second wedding didn’t include bridesmaids or groomsmen and it was smaller than her first. I was much happier attending as a guest instead. 

• Upvote 6

We got married on a Friday because it was cheaper. The church was very old and needed a new roof etc. We donated £100.00 to the roof fund (34 years ago that was a lot) and took advantage of the free flower arrangements left by the TV company who had used the church for filming the day before! 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

We had a seven month engagement, and I was in college for four months of it. I did not plan my wedding. I gave over all control to my Mom, and just let her tell me when to show up (I had finals and was starting a new job). The only thing I picked out was my gown. It was a delightful day for me. I was never one of those women/girls who fantasized over my wedding day, so I was just happy to be at a party that was all about me!

It was a Saturday wedding, and as "small" as a 150 person wedding can be considered to be.  When my sister got married, she had almost 300 people there.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 5

I was an older bride, in my 50s. 

When I went to look for a dress, the sales lady at one bridal shop asked the date of my wedding.  When I told her it was late May (it was some time in April), she looked shocked and said, "THIS YEAR?"  Apparently many brides start the process of dress and venue over a year in advance. 

I ended up with a floor length dress with a floral pattern in a light lavender fabric that I bought at an actual dress shop in a little house, recommended by a friend whose mother shopped there. 

Big day for the Arndts! Hope the weather cooperates and it's a lovely day for all of them. I'm pretty certain that they won't have a penguin for a ring bearer but one can certainly hope.  

Also, will there be available single ladies there, a sort of seven potential brides for seven ardent brothers scenario?

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 18
  • Love 5

A new Arndt thread! This one should go much faster than in the past. 

The big question is, how many groomsmen are there going to be? 

• Haha 9

4 minutes ago, Howl said:

The big question is, how many groomsmen are there going to be? 

A lot I bet. His side might have a lot more in the wedding party. She might have to scrounge up a few cousins to fill in her side since he has so many brothers. 

12 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

A lot I bet. His side might have a lot more in the wedding party. She might have to scrounge up a few cousins to fill in her side since he has so many brothers. 

Looks like there's ot going to be 6 or 8 bridemaids

Wonder if penguins will be peeping out of blue bouquets? An Arndt wedding is such a momentuous event!

• Upvote 5

On 5/6/2023 at 1:07 AM, Ausje said:

There are so many Arndts that they're even invading my workplace.IMG_20230505_132506.thumb.jpg.823e1b490dd6f640cdc08f1ec1dce84e.jpg

I had some Arndts wash up on TikTok the other day and went to the family page to see if they were related (the family where the dad puts the baby on camera and is like can you keep an eye on him while I run away for 20 seconds).

Went on the profile to see if they were of any relation and the dad has a sleeve and has had pierced ears going way back so I’m assuming not.

• Upvote 1

I got married on a Wednesday because it was our anniversary date and that happened to fall on a Wednesday. Our engagement was a year and a half, but we had already been together for 6,5 years when my SO proposed and we were already living together (which is the norm in my country). 
Because I'm always hot, I didn't want to get married any later than early April, and our anniversary is in March, so that was perfect. It was a meaningful date to us, and everyone who was important to us was there. 

I don't know how it works in the US, but here you can request a 'special leave day' when a close family member (usually first line) gets married, and those requests are generally not denied (a lot of employers have rules in place that allow you special leave days for marriages, funerals, births, and taking care of a very ill close relative).
So, for instance, if my HB's sister would get married on a weekday, I can request a special leave day for that occasion and won't lose any of my 'normal' leave days. My employer also allows special leave for the wedding/funeral of nieces/nephews, first cousins, and uncles/aunts, but not all employers do this. Most only allow special leave for direct, first line family (parents, siblings, grandparents, and MIL/FIL/Sibling in Law).

Edited by Marly
  • Upvote 3

Catie Cox had some pics in her Facebook stories and it shows that probably only half of his brothers were groomsmen. Maybe even less. Wizzy was a bridesmaid. I’m guessing that some were photographers instead of groomsmen. The BM dresses were pretty. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, hollyandivy said:

@JermajestyDuggar: can you provide a link to her FB pls? There are way too many Catie Coxes coming up in a search

I think it’s expired after 24hours. It’s not there anymore.

Safe at Home, y'all.   That picture was taken at home plate on the Arndt ball field with a bat and glove in the foreground. 

Looks like a lovely, joyful event and Wizzie looks, dare I say it, hawt, in that lovely blue gown.

• Upvote 16

Note that Cathy is front and center -- standing right next to her boy.  At least she doesn't have her hand on his stomach

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 17
  • I Agree 2