IGNORED

Arndts (Safe at Home) 7: Waiting on Wedding Photos

Coconut Flan

52 minutes ago, Hane said:

@Red Hair, Black Dress, I carried a nosegay at my daughter’s wedding because I don’t like corsages, but I sure didn’t pull a Cathy and wear a dress nearly the color of the wedding gown!

So now I’m wondering… will she wear this cream colored dress to every wedding from now on? Will this dress become like her ubiquitous tiny white shorts? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 16

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So now I’m wondering… will she wear this cream colored dress to every wedding from now on? Will this dress become like her ubiquitous tiny white shorts? 

If she does wear it to the next one, and I was one of the girlfriends (or next fiancee by then), I would kick some of that red clay dirt onto it during the post-ceremony home plate photo shoot.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

On 6/2/2023 at 9:33 AM, Anne Of Gray Gables said:

I'm surprised they weren't married on a softball field. Is that a Catholic church?

Yes, the background has serious cathedral vibes. 

They are members in good standing of First Church of the Arndt Living Room.  I wonder how they negotiated holding a wedding in a church. 

• Haha 5

Was it mentioned here that Jacob Arndt is also in a relationship? I saw it mentioned on Fundie Wiki.

41 minutes ago, 0 kids n not countin said:

Was it mentioned here that Jacob Arndt is also in a relationship? I saw it mentioned on Fundie Wiki.

Yes, we’ve talked about it on FJ. That’s now 4 of them in a relationship of some sort. 

• Thank You 4

On 5/9/2023 at 8:24 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have a feeling the first grand Arndt is going to get overwhelmed with all the family attention and picture taking. 

image.png.36c5e85fff04dbf8b6cb71ecf63b8fe2.png

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 14

I usually pay no attention to clothes, but I have to say that Kathy may have done herself in with that beige dress. It may be flattering to her with nothing contrasting around, but, near the bride's gown, it looks sad and almost dirty.

image.png.8a58ff35e4b8f7ebd80930bb45403c74.png

Rose, peach, seafoam, light blue - anything else would have been better. Even putting aside the tradition of not coming too close to wearing white at someone else's wedding, I think another color would have looked better on her.

• Upvote 9

On 6/2/2023 at 11:55 PM, TheJewAmongUs said:

James is 34, 35 in Sept. His fiancee graduated high school in 2017. That makes her 23-24. She probably has more life experience and is more mature than he is. But I can't help but feel sorry for someone that young getting pulled into the Arndt orbit.

Does she like to watch middle aged men play softball several nights per week? Can she hold a camera straight for hours to shoot it?

I’ll be 35 next month and in 2017 I had already been TEACHING high school for 7 years. I know the older you get the less age gaps matter, but in this instance I can’t help comparing to my own life and how big a generation gap it feels. She was still in school when my son started kindergarten.

• Upvote 5

I met my husband when I was 24 and he was 33. We got married when I was 27 and he was 36. The age difference has never been a big deal. But we’ve always said that if we had met at younger ages, like 18 and 27, we wouldn’t have given each other the time of day. I would have thought he was too old and he would have thought I was too young. 

• Upvote 9

On 6/2/2023 at 9:55 AM, TheJewAmongUs said:

James is 34, 35 in Sept. His fiancee graduated high school in 2017. That makes her 23-24. She probably has more life experience and is more mature than he is. But I can't help but feel sorry for someone that young getting pulled into the Arndt orbit.

Does she like to watch middle aged men play softball several nights per week? Can she hold a camera straight for hours to shoot it?

me realizing that his fiancée graduated from high school the same year as me

latest?cb=20160915034940

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

I’m not sure if I’ve already posted this but James and Paige are getting married Oct 21.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 8

Traditionally the mother of the groom wears beige and keeps her mouth shut. I guess Kathy is traditional. 

• Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

10 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Traditionally the mother of the groom wears beige and keeps her mouth shut. I guess Kathy is traditional. 

I was just going to say the same thing. Honestly, beige looks dreadful on most people so that tradition should go by the way side. However, I can't snark on her going with a traditional MOG dress color.

Since the theme was blue, Kathy could have worn a nice navy dress to not blend with the bridesmaids but be in color theme.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I was just going to say the same thing. Honestly, beige looks dreadful on most people so that tradition should go by the way side. However, I can't snark on her going with a traditional MOG dress color.

I never knew that was a tradition.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 17

48 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Since the theme was blue, Kathy could have worn a nice navy dress to not blend with the bridesmaids but be in color theme.

I’ve never heard of that tradition. The vast majority of weddings I’ve gone to, the mothers of the bride and groom didn’t wear beige. The most common colors were dark colors. Navy, black, burgundy, etc. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I married a week ago, I'm 44( first time bride) and I rocked a gorgeous royal blue flowy dress, my mother of 78  was wearing a white blazer , and cream pants. We told everyone to come as they wanted . My very very pregnant friend came on slippers and a black stretchy thingy . I never batted an eye to what my guests wanted to wear. Everyone should be granted to wear what they feel good in. Everybody who was invited was raving about how much fun our wedding was , and they even  meant it. I can't  snark on other wedding couples, only on those who did what was expected vs what they wanted themselves. 

Edited by ven
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 21

A Portuguese-American friend told me, fifty years ago, that the tradition in her circle was for the bride’s mother to wear pink and the groom’s mother to wear blue.

I chose sky blue for the bridesmaids at my first wedding, but before we could even get our dresses, my MIL ran out and bought herself a sky blue dress. (She was from Germany, and unaware of many local American wedding customs, such as waiting till the bride and bride’s mother had settled on a style and color scheme. She also was horrified at the idea of the groom’s parents hosting the rehearsal dinner: “I’ve never heard of such a thing!” I think my FIL slipped my fiancé a few bucks to fund it.) My grandma also insisted on a sky blue dress, so it was the Blue Wave. One of my friends helpfully told me it “looked like a fire sale.”

• Upvote 5

When I got married many years ago, my Mom and my MIL both wound up wearing purple (not Barney purple, but grey/lavender). Slightly different shades. They both looked lovely. My bridesmaids wore blue, except for my sister, who insisted that as maid of honor she was going to wear yellow. Whatevs.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve never heard of that tradition. The vast majority of weddings I’ve gone to, the mothers of the bride and groom didn’t wear beige. The most common colors were dark colors. Navy, black, burgundy, etc. 

I wore navy blue to both my son's and my daughter's weddings. Both my daughter in laws'* mothers went with silver. 

*That doesn't look right. Is it "daughters' in law's?" The plural should be with the word daughter, right? Not the word law?The punctuation just seems off!🥴

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ven said:

I married a week ago, I'm 44( first time bride) and I rocked a gorgeous royal blue flowy dress, my mother of 78  was wearing a white blazer , and cream pants. We told everyone to come as they wanted . My very very pregnant friend came on slippers and a black stretchy thingy . I never batted an eye to what my guests wanted to wear. Everyone should be granted to wear what they feel good in. Everybody who was invited was raving about how much fun our wedding was , and they even  meant it. I can't  snark on other wedding couples, only on those who did what was expected vs what they wanted themselves. 

Congratulations!

• I Agree 5
  • Love 3

7 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I wore navy blue to both my son's and my daughter's weddings. Both my daughter in laws'* mothers went with silver. 

*That doesn't look right. Is it "daughters' in law's?" The plural should be with the word daughter, right? Not the word law?The punctuation just seems off!🥴

Your instinct was correct about the plural - it should be on the word daughter. It's the possessive that makes it hard -   "my daughters' in law mothers (which sounds wrong)," or "my daughters in law's mothers?"

That's a tough one! I would have chickened out on trying to get the possessive in the right place and just said "the mothers of my daughters in law."  😁

• Haha 5

49 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Your instinct was correct about the plural - it should be on the word daughter. It's the possessive that makes it hard -   "my daughters' in law mothers (which sounds wrong)," or "my daughters in law's mothers?"

That's a tough one! I would have chickened out on trying to get the possessive in the right place and just said "the mothers of my daughters in law."  😁

Thank you, and I really should have done the same! ❤️

• Upvote 1

My mom wore navy to my wedding. But it was in fall and my theme was full of dark colors. If I remember correctly, a lot of dark colors and jewel tones were worn at my wedding. 

• Upvote 2

I have heard of beige/champagne for Mothers of the bride/groom. My mom wore navy as did my bridesmaids. My Mother in Law wore a light purple dress. It clashed terribly with everything else, but she was happy so it didn't really matter in the end.  

• Thank You 1
  • Love 2