IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 10: Living in Their Own Instagram Sitcom

nelliebelle1197

6 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Oh yikes! That sounds bad. Hasn’t  Alyssa posted about heart issues and needing surgery for it? I wonder if there’s a genetic link? 

I feel for her. It sounds scary on its own and even more so with such little babies. Glad they have family support and hopefully decent medical care. 

I thought of Alyssa too! She mentioned having episodes including once in the car while driving with the kids and she had to call John and get him to come get her. She then mentioned having to go to the in-laws every day with the kids so if she had more someone would be there. She described the one in the car as her heart racing - I think its been a while.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, marmalade said:

A poster on another board I frequent was recently diagnosed with the cardiac condition POTS. What made me think of Carlin was when she shared this:

There is no cure.  Some doctors believe it stems from a viral or bacterial infection. 

This tracks with Carlin having both meningitis and Covid. 

At any rate, tracking with the heart monitor helped get a diagnosis, so I hope Carlin can get some answers.

POTS is often part of Long Covid and ME/CFS. Since the mechanisms of those post-acute illnesses aren‘t understood - there hasn‘t been research even tough ME/CFS has been described for decades - there is no cure. 

Edited by Smash!
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

I actually think after this pregnancy and what a hard time Carlin had with depression (presumption based on her description), they might consider limiting. I wonder if there will be a longer break and then another two close together.

I seem to remember her saying they were "trying" for a while before she got pregnant with Zade, so the spacing may not have been intentional.

Edited by GuineaPigCourtship
The word definitely does not belong in this statement.
  • Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I actually think after this pregnancy and what a hard time Carlin had with depression (presumption based on her description), they might consider limiting. I wonder if there will be a longer break and then another two close together.

I seem to remember her saying they were "trying" for a while before she got pregnant with Zade, so the spacing may not have been intentional.

They were trying for 2 months lol

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

They were trying for 2 months AND she breastfed right up to the point that she got pregnant with Zade. I know some women do this and I am not judging.  But, I think in her case with her health issues, maybe her body never got a break. 

• Upvote 8

Evan is apparently going to commute from Nashville to Knoxville while Carlin stays with the Stewarts. They are keeping Carlin active, I guess in hopes of triggering the heart monitor. 

I guess Vanderbilt's medical center is better than University of Tennessee's. Not to mention the Stewarts far surpass Gil and Kelly in terms of care.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, marmalade said:

Evan is apparently going to commute from Nashville to Knoxville while Carlin stays with the Stewarts. They are keeping Carlin active, I guess in hopes of triggering the heart monitor. 

I guess Vanderbilt's medical center is better than University of Tennessee's. Not to mention the Stewarts far surpass Gil and Kelly in terms of care.

Carlin really lucked out with her in-laws, they are very involved and suportive, it is pretty noticeable when compared with her sisters in-laws too.

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, marmalade said:

Yes, Vanderbilt is the top hospital in the state: https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/tn 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Yes, Vanderbilt is the top hospital in the state: https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/tn 

That’s interesting… here in Canada we don’t differentiate “top” hospitals. Services differ based on how rural/urban you are, but this concept of choosing a different one farther away because it’s rated better doesn’t really exist here. Just found that interesting! 

• Upvote 8

Do we know if the Stewart’s are QF? The Bates girls’ health problems with QF beliefs are so scary.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Keys said:

That’s interesting… here in Canada we don’t differentiate “top” hospitals. Services differ based on how rural/urban you are, but this concept of choosing a different one farther away because it’s rated better doesn’t really exist here. Just found that interesting! 

I mean my experience is that is not necessarily true, there are 3 hospitals within 30 minutes of where I grew up and everyone goes to the one because it is newest and gets the most fundraising. One is so critically under staffed that it has to shut it's E.R over Christmas. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

I think it’s good that some of the bates girls married into smaller families. That way they can compare how much more helpful their in-laws are compared to their parents. Alyssa, Josie, Katie, Tori, and Carlin all married into families with 6 kids or less. It has to hit them that those families have positives for being small compared to their own family. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it’s good that some of the bates girls married into smaller families. That way they can compare how much more helpful their in-laws are compared to their parents. Alyssa, Josie, Katie, Tori, and Carlin all married into families with 6 kids or less. It has to hit them that those families have positives for being small compared to their own family. 

I think in Tori's case it's the opposite, and it Bobby has come to see all the "positives" of being Quiverfull.  I think Tori is following in Courtney's (as well as Kelly's of course) footsteps and will be pregnant every year. 🙄😑 Whenever I see photos of him, I just want to slap him.  Grrrr...🤨

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

I mean my experience is that is not necessarily true, there are 3 hospitals within 30 minutes of where I grew up and everyone goes to the one because it is newest and gets the most fundraising. One is so critically under staffed that it has to shut it's E.R over Christmas. 

Same. I'm sure its different depending on the region. Technically, you are right, it should be that way @Keys, because all hospitals should provide a good service for its population. But I'm in Montreal and some hospital CLEARLY have a bad rep. Not that the care is bad or that they'll be negligent with patients. But often, these so called ''bad reps'' hopsitals have overcrowded E.R., or tend to use private nursing agencies, which means you will have a bigger staff turnover and less familaire faces.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

1 hour ago, Vivi_music said:

Same. I'm sure its different depending on the region. Technically, you are right, it should be that way @Keys, because all hospitals should provide a good service for its population. But I'm in Montreal and some hospital CLEARLY have a bad rep. Not that the care is bad or that they'll be negligent with patients. But often, these so called ''bad reps'' hopsitals have overcrowded E.R., or tend to use private nursing agencies, which means you will have a bigger staff turnover and less familaire faces.

That’s so interesting… I guess it depends on the area? There aren’t really differentiators between the hospitals here and also where I did my (healthcare/medical) schooling. Apart from some services only being available at certain hospitals (like transplant surgery, rehab, etc). Staffing shortages are a big problem everywhere, though. Especially rural areas who are now having to rely on agency nurses (and yes, they aren’t as great as experienced nurses in that area). And it’s not just nursing staff, it’s everything - physicians, techs, PSWs, EMS (we have ambulance shortages here - now that’s scary), etc. It’s a difficult time for healthcare as a whole. 

Poor kid is in the ER for the fourth time after fainting and having other symptoms like shaking and numbness immediately after bending down to the diaper bag. Then she had a second episode in the ambulance. She’s going to see a neurologist and get some other diagnostics that this hospital doesn’t have (I think she said an echocardiogram). Folks in her DMs are suggesting they ask about silent seizures and POTS. Evan’s dad happened to catch her when she fainted but she expressed concern about getting hurt when someone’s not there and Evan said this made him realize that even being five feet away is too far.  

• Upvote 20

1 minute ago, Dominionatrix said:

Poor kid is in the ER for the fourth time after fainting and having other symptoms like shaking and numbness immediately after bending down to the diaper bag. Then she had a second episode in the ambulance. She’s going to see a neurologist and get some other diagnostics that this hospital doesn’t have (I think she said an echocardiogram). Folks in her DMs are suggesting they ask about silent seizures and POTS. Evan’s dad happened to catch her when she fainted but she expressed concern about getting hurt when someone’s not there and Evan said this made him realize that even being five feet away is too far.  

Just saw that too and my first words were “poor Carlin.” They must be so worried. I hope the doctors figure out how to help soon.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

I feel for her… that’s scary. 😥 And Evan, he seemed quite concerned. I’m glad they have support from his parents right now. I have to say that I’m surprised that Carlin’s mom isn’t there with her - I’m sure she’s busy, but I feel like my mom would drop everything to be with one of us/help us out if we were going through similar issues too. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1

On 5/16/2022 at 1:11 AM, eljayem said:

I wonder if there’s a genetic link? 

I don't know the details about either Alyssa or Carlin's issues but there are some arrhythmia that are inherited. Another consideration would be something related to the clotting disorder that several of the Bates women have. Not genetic but very common in the Bates family: post partum issues.

• Upvote 5

23 minutes ago, Keys said:

I feel for her… that’s scary. 😥 And Evan, he seemed quite concerned. I’m glad they have support from his parents right now. I have to say that I’m surprised that Carlin’s mom isn’t there with her - I’m sure she’s busy, but I feel like my mom would drop everything to be with one of us/help us out if we were going through similar issues too. 

all the reason to not have 19 kids.... way to many needing you at any one time

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I've had POTS since I was a child, though it took until adulthood for me to get a diagnosis. There have been times where I've had seizure-like episodes because of it. It was terrifying, especially because I was alone. I'm sure it would have been even scarier to witness.

So, that's my guess for Carlin- POTS from long covid. Oh, and I have always assumed that all of the Bateses had gotten covid by the end of 2020 and that the majority of them just didn't go public about it. We know that they stopped social distancing and wearing masks fairly soon into the pandemic.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

On 5/15/2022 at 11:17 PM, Smash! said:

POTS is often part of Long Covid and ME/CFS. Since the mechanisms of those post-acute illnesses aren‘t understood - there hasn‘t been research even tough ME/CFS has been described for decades - there is no cure. 

One of my girls has really similar symptoms, and heart issues and like Carlin has also had multiple pronounced viral infections - Covid ( vaccinated) and several others in the past couple years. Several other female family members  also have on-going autoimmune/ immunity problems. I think there must be some genetic link they just haven’t stumbled on yet that makes some people/families more prone to severe susceptibility  to viruses and long term damage. Just like you have genetic links /propensity to cancer and other health issues. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

@Mama Mia I‘m sorry your girl has to deal with such nasty symptoms.

What makes me angry is that autoimmune diseases are this poorly understood because there isn‘t enough interest and money in research. Probably because such diseases affect way more women than men.

In the 30 years since my mom was diagnosed with ME/CFS there has been practically no new insights in the mechanisms let alone new medications. It‘s starting to change because lots of people are affected by Long Covid. 

And yes, there is a suspected genetic link - Carmen Scheibenbogen, head of the Fatigue Center at Charité Berlin, one of the few experts in ME/CFS and now Long Covid was asked if there were risk factors in getting Long Covid. She said it’s suspected that people with family members who have someone in the family with a autoimmune disease are more susceptible to LC.

But yes, Covid is harmless 😡

• Upvote 19
  • Love 3

@Smash! The lack of knowledge about autoimmune disorders is frustrating. I am at the point where they know I have one, they just haven't identified which onez so treatment options at the moment are blind guesses 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

How old is Carlin?

As irritating as I find this couple, I am impressed with how seriously Evan is taking this and how genuinely concerned he is for her. He is stressed in the stories she posted but has clearly been staying calm for her and has been paying attention to what the medical professionals have told them/recommended as the next steps.

Agree with all the pp who have mentioned how lucky Carlin is with Evan's family as her in laws. 

Also, do the (older) Bates children seem to have an abnormally high volume of illnesses or is this common for so many to have serious health issues? Alyssa's heart condition, Erin's issues, whatever is going on with Carlin, Josie's issues, the clotting disorder so many of the daughters have... 

• Upvote 23

• samurai_sarah locked this topic