IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 10: Living in Their Own Instagram Sitcom

nelliebelle1197

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

Always weird to me how we constantly snark on the fundamentalists for expecting the women to do all the work, just be breeding machines, never leave home, no expectations for the Dad’s /husbands but to rule —- yet here, in this particular instance, Carlin and family are handling her medical situation like a regular modern family - and complaints that they aren’t acting fundie enough.

I'm not fundie, but I would definitely be at my daughter's bedside, business be damned. Family is my priority. Is that a fundie thing, or a human being thing? 

Gil should definitely be there, too. You're right about that.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

I'm not fundie, but I would definitely be at my daughter's bedside, business be damned. Family is my priority. Is that a fundie thing, or a human being thing? 

Gil should definitely be there, too. You're right about that.

I hope KJ did what Carlin wanted her to do. Maybe knowing that the business things for the boutique are taken care of gave her some peace of mind and she actually wanted her mum to go on the trip.

Also, I could imagine (cause that's how I'd feel) that a worried parent adds to the stress of the situation so maybe Carlin prefers things go the way they do right now. Also, Calin is hardly alone right now, being with her husband, in-laws, and children. 

Help from one's parents can look like a number if things, so... maybe she is indeed getting their support in a manner she wants and needs. 

• Upvote 27

10 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Always weird to me how we constantly snark on the fundamentalists for expecting the women to do all the work, just be breeding machines, never leave home, no expectations for the Dad’s /husbands but to rule —- yet here, in this particular instance, Carlin and family are handling her medical situation like a regular modern family - and complaints that they aren’t acting fundie enough. Carlin’s mother - a woman- is helping her daughter by taking over some of her business responsibilities. A business run by women. But that isn’t good enough. She should prioritize personally being physically present for her daughter. No word on why her dad isn’t expected to be there - of course. Carlin’s husband - a man, is taking care of her and the kids - with help. But that’s not ok. It has to be mom. 

I guess I was thinking from my own perspective - my husband was diagnosed with cancer and will need to have some treatments right after our baby is born, and my mom is going to help me out since our babe is going to be so fresh. I think it’s common to just want your mom in these situations? I really commend Evan for what he’s doing, but he mentioned still having to work, so that’s why I wondered why KJ wasn’t available to help out during the day when Evan is working. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 7

Well tonight they’re at Sonic for corn dogs  and a nephew’s baseball game. Why doesn’t she just rest while she has the chance? 

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Well tonight they’re at Sonic for corn dogs  and a nephew’s baseball game. Why doesn’t she just rest while she has the chance? 

She said the doctors told her to be active so that the heart monitor can pick up the activity. When my husband had a heart monitor, he was told the same thing. If all you do is lay in bed and rest then they can't get an accurate read. 

1 hour ago, Keys said:

I guess I was thinking from my own perspective - my husband was diagnosed with cancer and will need to have some treatments right after our baby is born, and my mom is going to help me out since our babe is going to be so fresh. I think it’s common to just want your mom in these situations? I really commend Evan for what he’s doing, but he mentioned still having to work, so that’s why I wondered why KJ wasn’t available to help out during the day when Evan is working. 

I would definitely want my mom. But I am an only child and Carlin is one of 19. How much tender loving care had Kelly ever been able to give her? 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 18

If KJ was helping with the business, I have no snark on that.  It probably means a lot to Carlin and she may well have asked her mom to step in and take her spot since the Stewarts wouldn't be able to do so as easily.  I may be in my mid-30s and a parent myself, but I would want my mom.  I'm closer to my dad, but for something like this I would want my mom.  He would handle any business stuff I needed if my husband couldn't.  I do realize these people are as different as one can get from me while still also living in the same country.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, CanadianMamam said:

She said the doctors told her to be active so that the heart monitor can pick up the activity. When my husband had a heart monitor, he was told the same thing. If all you do is lay in bed and rest then they can't get an accurate read. 

Oh I forgot about the monitor. I’d still stay home though. I’d hate to be passing out in public. There’s a much greater chance of getting injured. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Oh I forgot about the monitor. I’d still stay home though. I’d hate to be passing out in public. There’s a much greater chance of getting injured. 

Evan has his hand on her the whole time. There was another adult (maybe his mom?) In the car with them and as they walked, Evan was holding Carlin's arm to steady her. So I do think that they are being relatively cautious. 

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1

I think it's a good sign that they are being cautious and still doing normal things. I also think maybe there's a benefit to being young & less aware to worry. I remember I passed out in a restaurant in my early 20's. The ambulance came and checked me out, didn't find anything noteworthy, and my date and I just carried on and went back in to eat...and I never worried about it at the time. !!!

Now I would be a mess of anxiety and worry and obsession - thanks Web MD! Obviously, Carlin's episodes are much more serious and repetitive, but she may just be able to compartmentalize or not have health anxiety such that being out and about feels normal. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

I think it's a good sign that they are being cautious and still doing normal things. I also think maybe there's a benefit to being young & less aware to worry. I remember I passed out in a restaurant in my early 20's. The ambulance came and checked me out, didn't find anything noteworthy, and my date and I just carried on and went back in to eat...and I never worried about it at the time. !!!

Now I would be a mess of anxiety and worry and obsession - thanks Web MD! Obviously, Carlin's episodes are much more serious and repetitive, but she may just be able to compartmentalize or not have health anxiety such that being out and about feels normal. 

Heck I was an ICU nurse for 35 years and there is no way I’d be going to a kid’s (not my own) baseball game if I had a history of fainting and possible seizures necessitating several, recent ER trips, and ambulance rides. No way, sorry, I don’t care how many hands my young 20 something husband had on me. 6 years ago I wore several, different heart monitors for about 6 months as part of a very in-depth cardiac work up . I feel badly for her. It is stressful

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

My guess is Carlin just wants some normalcy. Also, sitting around doing nothing can be really hard on someone experiencing anxiety. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

Yeah, we do tell patients to try to go about their normal business while wearing a heart monitor, as you want to try to catch the events that are happening so you can see what the heart is doing when that happens (and with passing out, the two things we want to assess first are whether it’s heart-related or brain/seizure-related). 

Being pregnant, one of my symptoms has been getting vasovagal. I’ve had to sit on the floor of the operating room and random hallways in the hospital because my BP drops and I get very lightheaded/hot/dizzy with darkening vision and feel like I’ll pass out if I don’t sit down ASAP. It’s a really icky feeling, so I can imagine what she is going through, ugh. :( I hope they can get some answers soon.  

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

I hope KJ did what Carlin wanted her to do. Maybe knowing that the business things for the boutique are taken care of gave her some peace of mind and she actually wanted her mum to go on the trip.

Me too, but Carlin is very young. Only 24. At that age, I'd have wanted my mom there. I would never have said, "I'm fine, go on a trip with my sisters and have fun." Would Carlin have said such a thing? She seems very self-absorbed and young. She's probably really scared. Maybe she doesn't find KJ a source of comfort? Maybe they don't like each other? That's the only reason I can think of. 

Really, I can't imagine KJ being essential on any business trip. Maybe she is, but it's hard to imagine what she brings to the table. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1

If they are being cautious, are close to medical facilities and follow doctors order to 'act normally' I think it is good to do a family outing. It would be different if they took a plane to a wedding on the other side of the country 😅

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 8

10 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Me too, but Carlin is very young. Only 24. At that age, I'd have wanted my mom there. I would never have said, "I'm fine, go on a trip with my sisters and have fun." Would Carlin have said such a thing? She seems very self-absorbed and young. She's probably really scared. Maybe she doesn't find KJ a source of comfort? Maybe they don't like each other? That's the only reason I can think of. 

Really, I can't imagine KJ being essential on any business trip. Maybe she is, but it's hard to imagine what she brings to the table. 

Ah yeah, I understand where you’re coming from, @Jackie3

As I wouldn’t really want my parents there when I have a medical emergency, the fact that Carlin seems to be surrounded by other people close to her kinda made sense to me. That’s how I’d want it if I were in her shoes, but her family dynamics likely are very different from mine so… I’m kinda projecting my own issues and wants and needs onto her.

Whatever the case may be, let’s just hope Carlin feels loved and supported by her family (including parents, Evan, in-laws, etc.) 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

Evan posted another update. Carlin has continued to pass out, at Subway and his parents, at a baseball game. They are spending lots of time at the ER. I don't mind snarking at these two, but I do get that this is scary. I've experienced something like this myself - I get dips in my blood pressure that the doctors can't do anything about. It was worse a couple of years ago, but I still get scared when I feel dizzy. 

• Upvote 16

Maybe it's a reaction to something? They said she was doing good in California at the wedding, so maybe something environmental is disagreeing with her? 

• Upvote 4

Sounds like she got worse when they returned home from California. Weren't there episodes while she was in labor? Driving is out of the question right now. l'm glad someone has been there to catch Carlin because a head injury would probably make things worse 🙁

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, xenobia said:

Evan posted another update. Carlin has continued to pass out, at Subway and his parents, at a baseball game. They are spending lots of time at the ER. I don't mind snarking at these two, but I do get that this is scary. I've experienced something like this myself - I get dips in my blood pressure that the doctors can't do anything about. It was worse a couple of years ago, but I still get scared when I feel dizzy. 

The YT video is all old information. The ER trip from the baseball game was posted on IG. Carlin's was in the same shirt. As far as we know, she hasn't had another ER visit since. They haven't posted on IG since the last ER visit, so we are pretty much in the dark now.

• Upvote 2

Evan has just posted that Carlin has been rushed to hospital by ambulance again.

• Sad 7
  • Thank You 4

That situation with Carlin is so freaking scary. I watch the second Youtube video from them where she passes right now out and I am so pissed with these two.  Why the fuck are you flying to a fucking wedding when you literally pass out without a specific reason or diagnosis and then you are surprised that the symptoms come back? Why the fuck are you surprised? What the fuck are you doing? You have two little kids damn it! In the end I should be glad that at least the go to the ER and they go to the doctors instead of treating this with essential oils and praying about it. I hope that this will somehow end well and have a positive outcome in the end. But I am so angry about them. And to come to an end: why the fuck am I watching this? I somehow lost my shit today. Sorry. 

Edit to add: maybe I should watch the video until the end before I post here. But as a person who works with clients who have neurological or cardiological problems the fact that she got on a plane without checking her brain out before, just lets me freak out.  

Edited by Scrabblemaster
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

The video is pretty scary, after the episode she looked so out of it, glassy eyes and had dificulty recalling simple words. No wonder they are thinking neurological now. Hope they can see a neurologist soon, in the comments Evan said they are being told they have to wait months to see one. Since each episode seems to be worst than the one before i dont know how they can wait months for a diagnosis, hopefully they can speed up the process. What an awful situation.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

With going to the wedding, I sort of get it. They had spent a lot on tickets and hotel, Carlin really wanted to be there for Lawson/see the rest of her family/friends. She wanted to see Katie and Joy. The doctor said she was probably safe to go, so they made a judgement call? Was it a great one? No, but  probably the same one I would have made at 24. 

• Upvote 10
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1

I hope they have decent insurance. I don't have much sympathy for the adults in the world they live in, but I wince whenever they mention an ambulance ride.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

• samurai_sarah locked this topic