IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 10: Living in Their Own Instagram Sitcom

nelliebelle1197

1 hour ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

How old is Carlin?

As irritating as I find this couple, I am impressed with how seriously Evan is taking this and how genuinely concerned he is for her. He is stressed in the stories she posted but has clearly been staying calm for her and has been paying attention to what the medical professionals have told them/recommended as the next steps.

Agree with all the pp who have mentioned how lucky Carlin is with Evan's family as her in laws. 

Also, do the (older) Bates children seem to have an abnormally high volume of illnesses or is this common for so many to have serious health issues? Alyssa's heart condition, Erin's issues, whatever is going on with Carlin, Josie's issues, the clotting disorder so many of the daughters have... 

Carlin just turned 24

The clotting disorder could be part of other underlying health issues. But also, the older Bates children were raised on a sparse diet of unhealthy food, they were almost certainly undernourished. It is likely showing earlier with the girls because of the stress pregnancy puts on a body. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

I wonder about KJ’s health, especially in her earlier/middle years of childbearing. I know the Bateses did not have health care insurance so maybe KJ just ignored any health issues she had surrounding pregnancy and the postpartum periods? I find it so interesting that the B2 women have had so many issues with pregnancy/deliveries/postpartum and in MK’s case, infertility, and some of these issues have been identified as having a genetic link, yet KJ has had 19, healthy children. I do realize that KJ did have some pregnancy losses, especially as she aged. Seemingly none of the B2 women have gotten by unscathed. 

• Upvote 6

Carlin's parents aren't showing up for her, just as Chelsy Maxwell had to lean on her in-laws with her semi recent health issues. Traveling is for sure more important than kids in these families.

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Carlin's parents aren't showing up for her, just as Chelsy Maxwell had to lean on her in-laws with her semi recent health issues. Traveling is for sure more important than kids in these families.

In KJ's defense she is on the trip for the boutique that Carlin had to pull out of. So she is helping Carlin's business. But yes with 19 kids, I feel like you learn fast you are a never the top priority. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

To be fair though — if Carlin and husband and kids are staying at her in-laws home, and are close to a good hospital, it might be everyone’s preference that Carlin’s folks aren’t physically there too. It just might be too much, and not helpful. If this turns into a long-term serious problem where she needs consistent support, and she’s back in her home with her kids - then yes, absolutely her family should step up. But in this immediate situation extra people around might just be more stress and less calm. 

• Upvote 26

15 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

Same. I'm sure its different depending on the region. Technically, you are right, it should be that way @Keys, because all hospitals should provide a good service for its population. But I'm in Montreal and some hospital CLEARLY have a bad rep. Not that the care is bad or that they'll be negligent with patients. But often, these so called ''bad reps'' hopsitals have overcrowded E.R., or tend to use private nursing agencies, which means you will have a bigger staff turnover and less familaire faces.

Please don't say anything bad about Canada. It's the only fantasy I have left in my life. I think what you actually meant to say is "Canada is a land where adorable baby beaver kits frolic happily to and fro, citizens are kind and generally don't shoot each other, and Justin Trudeau welcomes each American ex-pat at the border with a lei made out of maple leaves." 

• Haha 49

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I wonder about KJ’s health, especially in her earlier/middle years of childbearing. I know the Bateses did not have health care insurance so maybe KJ just ignored any health issues she had surrounding pregnancy and the postpartum periods? I find it so interesting that the B2 women have had so many issues with pregnancy/deliveries/postpartum and in MK’s case, infertility, and some of these issues have been identified as having a genetic link, yet KJ has had 19, healthy children. I do realize that KJ did have some pregnancy losses, especially as she aged. Seemingly none of the B2 women have gotten by unscathed. 

A lot of genetic conditions require both parents to have been carriers of certain genes, so what we may be seeing in the Bates daughters is the result of the combination of genes inherited from both Gil and Kelly. 

• Upvote 8

12 minutes ago, Dominionatrix said:

A lot of genetic conditions require both parents to have been carriers of certain genes, so what we may be seeing in the Bates daughters is the result of the combination of genes inherited from both Gil and Kelly. 

Each offspring would have a 25% of inheriting 2 affected genes. So, in the first what, 6/10 daughters all have issues (not all the same issue?) That is really poor luck/outcomes.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 2

Doesn't Gil's sister have the blood clotting disorder? So he might have it but because he isn't the one getting pregnant, it's not as much of an issue. Same for the Bates sons.

Erin, Tori, Carlin, and, I believe Katie, are confirmed to have the clotting disorder. Possibly Michal? Josie did say hers was different (because she can't take the hepperin for it) and appeared after her miscarriage.  

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, CanadianMamam said:

Doesn't Gil's sister have the blood clotting disorder? So he might have it but because he isn't the one getting pregnant, it's not as much of an issue. Same for the Bates sons.

Erin, Tori, Carlin, and, I believe Katie, are confirmed to have the clotting disorder. Possibly Michal? Josie did say hers was different (because she can't take the hepperin for it) and appeared after her miscarriage.  

I wonder if KJ and Gil have had a genetic work up for informational purposes?

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

I think Tori and Alyssa are the only ones without it.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, MaryOrMartha said:

No, Tori has it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 2

35 minutes ago, MaryOrMartha said:

Tori stated that she has it. When she was pregnant with Kade, she was in Nashville and her doctor didn't know to check for it but she got a work up before she had Kolter. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

In KJ's defense she is on the trip for the boutique that Carlin had to pull out of. 

Why in the world would you defend KJ? She is her mother. Carlin is her blessing from God. You show up for your blessings. I can't imagine defending that. KJ is too busy having fun on a business trip, and that deserves no defense.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

wonder if KJ and Gil have had a genetic work up for informational purposes?

I doubt  it.

They may not have considered it while K was in her birthing years as she seemed to have little issue with pregnancy and their children seemed well enough. Additionally the genetic testing available back then involved an invasive procedure eg amniocentesis or was expensive or was only offered for targeted genes or was only offered in bigger cities with tertiary level testing facilities.

They could do it now so that the results would not affect their children's ability to get insurance or to allow for early screening/treatment for their children but I doubt that parents who were comfortable to limiting medical care fore their children to ER visits would think that far ahead.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, browngrl said:

I doubt  it.

They may not have considered it while K was in her birthing years as she seemed to have little issue with pregnancy and their children seemed well enough. Additionally the genetic testing available back then involved an invasive procedure eg amniocentesis or was expensive or was only offered for targeted genes or was only offered in bigger cities with tertiary level testing facilities.

They could do it now so that the results would not affect their children's ability to get insurance or to allow for early screening/treatment for their children but I doubt that parents who were comfortable to limiting medical care fore their children to ER visits would think that far ahead.

Yes, I meant now. They still have many children who might also be affected. I mean their entire beings are wrapped up in reproduction, you’d think they’d want to increase the odds of healthy outcomes.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 1

I have a similar blood clotting disorder and take blood thinners while pregnant. As someone said above, if you only have one gene it can be less dangerous if you inherit both genes from parents. Also, for some people it never causes issues - there is not very much known about some of these disorders. Or it could be that they all share one common disorder and then some of the sisters have other health factors that affect it.

Even if Kelly has it, they likely never knew or treated it back then. It's only in recent years that women are recommended to go on blood thinners and often they're just told to take baby aspirin. Usually they'll only look for it if you have family history, personal experience with a clot, or have three or more miscarriages. Even now, some OBs don't recommend blood thinners unless you have a personal history - there are risks both ways. 

I have often wondered if they are looking into COVID and people with blood clotting disorders, since from early on they were observing COVID to affect clotting issues. So it could be that some long term effect is happening more frequently to people with clotting issues.

• Upvote 7

In her IG story last night, Carlin posted that she had fainted/passed out again. 4th time now. They were at the ballpark and Evan's dad caught her. She said this was the worst one yet-numbness in her feet and mouth. Someone had the sense to call 911 and when she was in the ambulance, she had another episode. The attendant said it looked like she was seizing, especially in her eyes. This time Carlin said her whole body felt numb. The hospital has referred her to a neurologist; she'll need an EEG and more blood work.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 8
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Why in the world would you defend KJ? She is her mother. Carlin is her blessing from God. You show up for your blessings. I can't imagine defending that. KJ is too busy having fun on a business trip, and that deserves no defense.

What @CanadianMamam and @Mama Mia both said made a lot of sense. If Kelly Jo made the business trip that Carlin was supposed to do, KJ was doing her part to help Carlin and their business. And it seemed like Evan and the in-laws had the situation under control and more people just adds to the craziness. I’m sure if Carlin needed KJ there, she’d be there. I bet Carlin might need a lot of help from her family when they get back home and they’ll be there for her.

• Upvote 19

I hope they're able to gently explain to Layla what's going on with mama in an age appropriate way. Bad enough for the adults, really scary for the toddler.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

Unfortunately as an adult child from a family of 19, and one with minors still at home, Carlin can not expect extended help from her parents. Just another reason why such extreme numbers of children do not work. Sounds harsh, but in this particular family, KJ would be a full time handmaiden, and that’s just unrealistic-

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I’m sure if Carlin needed KJ there, she’d be there. I bet Carlin might need a lot of help from her family when they get back home and they’ll be there for her.

That's pretty high praise for this family. I'm not as much of a fan. There's been plenty of times KJ hasn't been there for her children. In fact, she leaves her youngest children constantly to travel for pleasure all the time. You have to be a real Bates fan to ignore the fact that Jeb, Jed and Callie are growing up without their mother around much. 

18 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Also, do the (older) Bates children seem to have an abnormally high volume of illnesses or is this common for so many to have serious health issues? Alyssa's heart condition, Erin's issues, whatever is going on with Carlin, Josie's issues, the clotting disorder so many of the daughters have... 

Yes! They are mostly in their early or mid twenties, and they are always sick, in the hospital, having symptoms, being taken to the ER. . . it's pretty unusual for this age group to have so much illness. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Always weird to me how we constantly snark on the fundamentalists for expecting the women to do all the work, just be breeding machines, never leave home, no expectations for the Dad’s /husbands but to rule —- yet here, in this particular instance, Carlin and family are handling her medical situation like a regular modern family - and complaints that they aren’t acting fundie enough. Carlin’s mother - a woman- is helping her daughter by taking over some of her business responsibilities. A business run by women. But that isn’t good enough. She should prioritize personally being physically present for her daughter. No word on why her dad isn’t expected to be there - of course. Carlin’s husband - a man, is taking care of her and the kids - with help. But that’s not ok. It has to be mom. 

• Upvote 32
  • I Agree 2

I guess the large family works both ways. When people mention KJ needing to run to FL to help Alyssa, or NJ because Katie is lonely or now Carlin, I always default to but KJ has her own minor kids at home, forgetting that an older daughter, son  or Gil could help. My parents had jobs when I was raising my kids and they also lived 2 hours away. Also, my youngest sibling was still a minor living at home. There was no way they could help for an extended period of time. My ILs were quite elderly and had many kids and GKs, so also unavailable. Plus as others have mentioned, the Bateses girls have had lots of medical issues. KJ would need to be superwoman to meet all these peoples’ needs. This is just their reality. Does Gil have a job that requires him to be present and away from the home/family? I’m never quite sure what he does.

In our younger careers, my husband and I used to joke that many people work harder at not working than they would if they actually just did their job. 😀

• Upvote 3

Hey Evan, a great way to support your wife would be to get a vasectomy. Seriously.

• Upvote 10

• samurai_sarah locked this topic