IGNORED

Maxwell 41: Taking a Short Vest Rest

Coconut Flan

18 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Ack! You all know I meant the vasectomy reversal, right?!

(I know you do. I’m panicking because of plumbing emergencies and happened to reread what I typed and am too late to edit. I need to breathe. Hopefully snaking the lines is all that’s needed but holy shit I’m freaking out at the hourly rate for plumbing emergencies!! Clearly I’m in the wrong profession!)

Yikes!  I hope the problem is quickly solved and relatively inexpensive to repair.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Yikes!  I hope the problem is quickly solved and relatively inexpensive to repair.  

You and me both. The kitchen smells awful right now. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 6
  • Love 2

Steve’s rigidity makes me think that while he might acknowledge the presence of depression, which even that is probably a huge step for him, using the evil pharmaceuticals to treat such an illness might be outside his comfort zone. He really is a controlling dictator, isn’t he? Conversely, it doesn’t seem like he hesitated to seek and utilize all treatments offered when he experienced chest pain.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Steve’s rigidity makes me think that while he might acknowledge the presence of depression, which even that is probably a huge step for him, using the evil pharmaceuticals to treat such an illness might be outside his comfort zone. He really is a controlling dictator, isn’t he? Conversely, it doesn’t seem like he hesitated to seek and utilize all treatments offered when he experienced chest pain.

Amazing how that works, ennit?  Selfish, grotesque creature!

• Upvote 9

6 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Tbf we don't know that they didn't try.

Meds are a lifesaver for some, but they don't work for everyone and not everyone can take antidepressants.

Even the people I know who have had success medicating depression had a lot of trial and error to get to the right dose and depending on the side effects for that individual there can be a lot of worse until it gets better going on until they find the right protocol.

Very good point. I've been on them for around 15 years and have gone through 4-5 I believe. One works for a few years then quits. I'm hoping the new one I take 2x a day lasts a lot longer.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

Do people really need Teri to tell them 'plan ahead and don't do every bit of preparation on the same day'?  She seems to think it's a revolutionary and unique idea but I have a feeling just about anyone could independently invent this 'lifehack' :P

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

@Don'tlikekoolaid, it was a combination of the washer and the kitchen sink. I had no idea the washer needs a lint trap* so the washer flooded the garage but the kitchen sink was also backed up and the non-disposal side suddenly had “backwash” from the disposal and wouldn’t drain and stank something awful! 

*How did I not know this?! 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he used her depression to strengthen his control and doing anything about the depression would decrease his chances of him being her one and only lifeline. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

21 hours ago, ElizaB said:

Now the part of your comment about Steve's job. To be fair he didn't quit because of Teri's depression. I believe he was encouraged to "retire" after getting upset about having to have lunch with a female. 

He was “called home by The Lord” thank you very much. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 1

39 minutes ago, lilith said:

He was “called home by The Lord” thank you very much. 

Wait - isn't that phrase usually used to mean someone died?

If that's actually what Steve said, that is a combination of funny and horrible.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

If that's actually what Steve said, that is a combination of funny and horrible.

I wouldn’t swear to it. I think he says he was “called out of corporate America”.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he used her depression to strengthen his control and doing anything about the depression would decrease his chances of him being her one and only lifeline. 

Oh, how gross. Recently

I related a lady I work with knew them years ago before the cult, and "they seemed so normal".

Edited by Coconut Flan
Replaced b4 text speak.
  • Upvote 5

16 hours ago, Giraffe said:

@Don'tlikekoolaid, it was a combination of the washer and the kitchen sink. I had no idea the washer needs a lint trap* so the washer flooded the garage but the kitchen sink was also backed up and the non-disposal side suddenly had “backwash” from the disposal and wouldn’t drain and stank something awful! 

*How did I not know this?! 

Modern houses are full of  fairly sophisticated systems. Which is great when they work, and not so great when you have to get professional assistance to troubleshoot them. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

Oh, how gross. Recently

I related a lady I work with knew them years ago before the cult, and "they seemed so normal".

They looked fairly normal in the early childhood pictures Sarah posted once. IIRC the boys were dressed in clothes that could be fundie or normal (jeans and polo shirts) so they could've gone either way but Sarah was even wearing pants and had pierced ears back then. And we've already determined the mode of dress just scratches the surface of the belief system there. But even if it's a tangential issue, it's always bothered me how fundies make the girls dress in ways that clearly mark them on sight in public (because when you see a mom and one or more daughters in the grocery store all wearing skirts on a weekday, you KNOW) and yet the boys get to wear normal T-shirts and jeans. If you saw just the Maxwell men milling around at their family 4th of July BBQ, you'd think it was just some guys together to BBQ and hang out. But if you saw the girls, all in at-the-very-least knee-length skirts (never mind the prairie frocks on Chris/Anna's girls) you'd know you were in the presence of fundies.

• Upvote 17

13 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Jesus, when I scanned by and saw that phrase, for a brief millisecond, I thought Steve had bought the farm...and the thread wasn’t even hot.

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, Bethy said:

(because when you see a mom and one or more daughters in the grocery store all wearing skirts on a weekday, you KNOW) 

This is so true, and so me and my stepdaughters. I hate pants and refuse to wear them and they both love skirts. We confuse people all the time. We are selling our house now and one room has four bunks, a trundle, and what looks like a crib. Four kids DO sleep there but it looks like it could be sleep more. And two more bedrooms with beds. We look like fundies!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

@Bethy, I’m always reminded of the old saying, “If you can control the way people dress, you can control the way they think.”

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 4

13 minutes ago, Hane said:

@Bethy, I’m always reminded of the old saying, “If you can control the way people dress, you can control the way they think.”

Scary. I’ve never heard that before but it makes sense. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 3

15 hours ago, lilith said:

I wouldn’t swear to it. I think he says he was “called out of corporate America”.

I’ve been fighting with Comcast at work for the last 24 hours.  

I am also feeling called out of corporate America.  Unfortunately my bills are demanding I stay enployeed.

just another woman in corporate America polluting the place with my femininity forcing honorable men like Steve back into the home.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 13

39 minutes ago, freejugar said:

So they got lost in the mountains, this is the most exciting thing that has happened to them since cheese paper

Maybe the kids shouldn't let those two loose in the mountains by themselves again.  Two wrong turns on one hiking trip in the mountains isn't good.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 3

44 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Maybe the kids shouldn't let those two loose in the mountains by themselves again.  Two wrong turns on one hiking trip in the mountains isn't good.

I would looove to be a fly on the wall while the kids decide who gets to tell Dad what to do!

When the time came for discussions about who was going to talk to dad about his driving I was never so glad to have been the baby with no voice of authority....that was a huge “not it!” For something that wouldn’t have  gone over well, to put it mildly.

I am kind of surprised they are hiking just based on pics Teri looks so frail lately.  

• Upvote 11

20 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Maxwells have nothing against doctors and Steve is not the only one in the family visiting them (for example, Teri went for her back, children wear glasses etc). Mental health is not considered a health issue, though, but something that can be cured with prayers.

• Upvote 11
  • WTF 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic