IGNORED

Maxwell 41: Taking a Short Vest Rest

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Giraffe said:

As much as I want to be thrilled that John and Chelsy may be leaving the mothership’s immediate clutches I can’t help but remember them holding Axton’s hands to control him so much that he wouldn’t even do a smash cake for his first birthday! I have no hope anything has changed with them other than the location of their house. 

If they move near her family it will be no better.  Becky Bontrager has horrible child rearing ideas.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1

13 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I bet Steve is pissed that he can’t preach. 

Can you imagine him sitting through a sermon preached by some other guy? I bet he's just itching to make corrections the whole time, but he has to sit there quietly and look attentive and reverent. God, I would pay money to watch it.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

59 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

If they move near her family it will be no better.  Becky Bontrager has horrible child rearing ideas.

This is why I like Joe and Jesse moving to KC. No one’s parents live there. They can carve out their own social life there. And I hope they do carve out a social life of their own and stay there for awhile. 

• Upvote 16

@Bethy,  Steve's mom did have Alzheimer's.  It is sometimes said that you don't worry if you misplace your keys, but you damn sure better worry if you forget what they're for.  People with dementia do have an unfortunate tendency to wander away though so the getting lost might be a symptom of Alzheimer's.  Or he could have just gotten lost, especially with a wife that would be unlikely to speak up if she knew he was headed in the right direction.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

It’s possible they attend two churches - and I hope they attend this one because it’s much bigger and with more younger people - much more like a normal church.

But I doubt they attend it because it isn’t KJV only, has what looks like modem worship music at its service, and plenty of women wearing pants and shorts. I really hope Steve would choose such a place, but I doubt he would. Northwest Baptist is KIV only, traditional music only and skirts on all the women. 

I think they might have attended the Open Door church on a temporary basis because it was the only one having physical services back in May, with everything being shut down for COVID (and NW Baptist actually had a COVID outbreak in March). Also, the Maxwells were already familiar with it because it runs the walk through Bethlehem thing each Christmas, which they’ve posted about before.

Lol both churches look very bibley to me but yes looking closer the northwest one looks stricter.  Could this be Anna in the Open Door youth club photo?  Maybe Open Door is the one where they do children's club, and Northwest is the parents' choice of family church? 

• Upvote 8

8 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Well for people who have to schedule every minor detail and activity AND write it down, factoring in a RT to a location 40 miles away likely is a BIG deal. What 

I don't mean to be dense or nitpicky, but what's RT mean?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

If Sarah gets engaged we are throwing a virtual shower with real gifts and having them all sent via Amazon.  

You're supposed to say, "For legal reasons, that's a joke."

Or we could just buy gifts for ourselves!  Sort of like an un-fast.

Edited by CyborgKin
better idea
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Which do you think would be the worse day for you: An Ardnt son getting engaged or Sarah Maxwell getting engaged?

Which is more likely to happen? I'm going to go with one of the Arndts

• Upvote 5

People didn’t feel comfortable coming to your retirement village rantfest Steve? You don’t say! 
And of course Steve feels they’re ready to go back to a church that isn’t populated entirely by the elderly. I’m sure it’s total coincidence that that move came just when Jesse married and there were no longer any young Maxwell men to be led astray by those slutty church girls with their contrasting buttons and knee length skirts or to be tempted by church team sports. I feel very sorry for whatever poor congregation that’s been invaded by Steve and his “standards” - there is zero chance he will sit quietly in a pew as an anonymous church member. 

14 hours ago, freejugar said:

This is great, the girls could meet a godly young man in this new church!

Or a Godly Middle Aged Man in Sarah’s case. It will never cease to amaze me that she’s only a year younger than me.

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m glad the kids will finally have some non-Maxwell friends. I hope there is a youth group for Abby.

I hope she’s allowed to attend if there is - Steve is very anti youth group, which is very probably part of why he set up the Church of The Elderly to begin with. 

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@Bethy,  Steve's mom did have Alzheimer's.  It is sometimes said that you don't worry if you misplace your keys, but you damn sure better worry if you forget what they're for.  People with dementia do have an unfortunate tendency to wander away though so the getting lost might be a symptom of Alzheimer's.  Or he could have just gotten lost, especially with a wife that would be unlikely to speak up if she knew he was headed in the right direction.  

Ron Hamilton ("Patch the Pirate" might be a name that rings a bell for some) was diagnosed three years ago with a form of early-onset dementia. He was 67 at the time. From what I understand he's continuing to write/record as he is able (his daughter and son-in-law have taken over the publishing company) but he is failing quickly.

So late 60s wouldn't be too early for a dementia diagnosis. For their family's sake I hope that's not what's going on. Losing a loved one to dementia isn't something I'd wish on my worst enemy.

48 minutes ago, ClareDeLune said:

Lol both churches look very bibley to me but yes looking closer the northwest one looks stricter.  Could this be Anna in the Open Door youth club photo?  Maybe Open Door is the one where they do children's club, and Northwest is the parents' choice of family church? 

I'm almost positive that's Anna. The hair and clothing styles are right on the money and her facial expression looks very Anna-ish. Also the way she's got her legs awkwardly folded under her is a giveaway. The pictures I've seen of Teri and the girls sitting down with their legs folded straight under them (because sitting cross-legged would apparently be immodest no matter how long/full the skirt) make every joint below my waist ache.

14 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Joseph's house was sold August 18.

Even if they just sold that house and bought a different split foyer in the same neighborhood I think this is a good move. Remember this was his House In Cash purchase when Elizabeth Munck was on the radar, and whether he included her input in the renovations or not, it was still done for her. Then she dumped him, two years went by, and bam! Joe and Elissa are married, surprise! And living in that house. That he bought for Elizabeth Munck. Even though there were arguably no real emotional entanglements in their brief and touch-free courtship, if I were Elissa I would just always feel a little weird about living in the house he bought and renovated for another girl. A fresh start is good for them. Better if it's more than .7 miles from the mothership.

• Upvote 13

47 minutes ago, calliopecassandra said:

Which is more likely to happen? I'm going to go with one of the Arndts

Good question. I think one of the Arndts as well. There's just so damn many of them. 

Something always told me if Steve let Jesse get married, the girls never would. I was already losing hope after John. It's clear Steve cares more about his impossible standards than what people think. I hold out hope for them though. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1

It actually isn't early onset dementia if it occurs at age 65 or later.  The mother of a friend of my daughter was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's in her late 40s.  It was very, very sad.  Steve could possibly be having some symptoms or he could be having simple age related issues.  Missing a turn in the dark could be due to cataracts.  Whatever is causing it, it's something his family should monitor especially if it keeps happening.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, ClareDeLune said:

Umm, that absolutely is Anna. And if you scroll through the pictures in that facebook post, you’ll see this one. And if you look very carefully at it, you can see someone who looks a hell of a lot like Mary. 

F0DDA4B7-82DF-419E-BD66-7ADAE6219343.png

51AB2E3C-D03D-42AF-9083-6ADD105833AE.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

24 minutes ago, crunchycarrots said:

Umm, that absolutely is Anna. And if you scroll through the pictures in that facebook post, you’ll see this one. And if you look very carefully at it, you can see someone who looks a hell of a lot like Mary. 

F0DDA4B7-82DF-419E-BD66-7ADAE6219343.png

51AB2E3C-D03D-42AF-9083-6ADD105833AE.jpeg

It's good to see Anna and Mary hanging around with people who are wearing normal clothes.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

40 minutes ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

It's good to see Anna and Mary hanging around with people who are wearing normal clothes.

I wonder what Anna and Mary say when all those young kids ask why they always wear skirts?

I bet they just say 'we like wearing skirts' rather than 'the Lord calls us to be modest (and we're totally judging your shorty shorts, you heathens)'. 

• Upvote 11

30 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I wonder what Anna and Mary say when all those young kids ask why they always wear skirts?

I bet they just say 'we like wearing skirts' rather than 'the Lord calls us to be modest (and we're totally judging your shorty shorts, you heathens)'. 

I don’t. I bet they tell them it’s pleasing to god. They are so soaked in the koolaid they probably bleed it.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Dru said:

Have we covered the shit idea that covid blessed the maxwells with a different church? I can't with these assholes and their "friends".

I think Teri lacks the ability to explain herself well. I "translated" her comment as if she meant that, even in bad situations, you can get a possitive (godly) outcome. I don't think she meant God sent covid to help Maxwells to find a church. But... I may be giving her too much credit.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Bethy said:

I keep thinking through this information, and I'm pretty conflicted on the whole thing. I knew from a post in March that the retirement facility had given them the boot because of COVID, and that's when they tipped their hand that they'd been attending this conventional church on Sunday nights, and that they were now going to attending on Sunday mornings since their regular "church" had been forced to close its doors. Now it comes out that God had laid it on Steve's heart to get out of there for a while. This on the heels of the marriage of their last single son.

Wouldn't it have been easier for the sons to find wives if they had gone to a conventional church all along? Isn't that how Nate met Mel? It seems pretty obvious that Steve isn't interested in the daughters marrying, but the sons are the ones who will carry on the godly legacy the Maxwell name. Why would he throw up roadblocks that would make it harder for them to find wives?

But...

Is it possible he separated from civilization so the sons would be forced to find wives from farther away, wives who would be easier to mold, who wouldn't bring along in-laws who would meddle? (Never mind how much the Maxes meddle.) Because it Nate met Mel at church, and then Steve became less-than-pleased with Nate's choice (doesn't she have female relatives who wear pants? She herself never wore frumpers like the mothership. And let's not forget sister Grace and her country music habits...with a band called the Wayward Sons!) It would be a lot harder for a bride's mom to have any impact on anything if "coffee with Mom" can't be on the schedule more than once every year or two. So now we have wives from Washington, Kentucky, Iowa, and Ohio. Family interference (with the exception of the Bonts) seems to be pretty much nil, from what we're able to see on the blog (though two sons have sold their debt-free homes on the compound, and I can't imagine John is far behind.) But now, suddenly, his heart is stirred to return to a regular non-nursing-home church.

Interesting.

Or possibly, he could be in the early stages of Alzheimer's/dementia. What year did his mom die, and how old was she? I'm pretty sure she had dementia so that could be something he's exhibiting signs of. Especially if he's getting lost on hikes. That is really concerning.

The Maxwell planet is a fundamental Stepford Wives.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Bethy said:

Because it Nate met Mel at church, and then Steve became less-than-pleased with Nate's choice (doesn't she have female relatives who wear pants? She herself never wore frumpers like the mothership.

Maxwells were friends with Melanie's parents, who share their same beliefs. There is no evidence that Maxwells were unpleased about Nathan's marriage, and all what they have posted since their courtship praises Melanie. Teri was thrilled about the wedding! And considering how difficult is for Teri to be excited, so I'm sure she wasn't faking her happiness. And there are many posts and comments about how a great mother Melanie is.

Maxwells are awful enough, no need to make them look worse than they really are. 

Regarding pants wearing women, there is full of them in their social circle. They just avoid posting pictures of them, and act as if they were superior because are skirts-only, but it does not mean they reject pants-wearing families. In addition, Melanie was married 17 (?) years ago. Her sister Grace was young, not a jeans-wearing country singer then.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Ha! That is one of the first things I thought of when looking at the pictures. How are Anna & Mary allowed to hang out with females who wear shorts?!

And that church does Awana. You know, like, for kids. With other kids. And they PLAY. Not that I am a fan of Awana, but it's child focused and does fun stuff with kids - the opposite of sheltering them to death. 

The Open Door church is the one that does the Walk through Bethlehem Steve takes the kidults to every year. So they are not new to the church. They just got booted from the care home and had to do something. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 7

3 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

, Melanie was married 17 (?) years ago. Her sister Grace was young, not a jeans-wearing country singer then.

I don’t think it’s uncommon for many fundie families to get less legalistic as the years go on, especially if they see their married children stretch the rules and still live Christian lives. I wouldn’t be surprised if Josie and Jordyn Duggar ended up wearing pants before marriage  if the TLC cameras aren’t there to document it, and Melanie’s younger sisters being less rigid in their adherence to their parents beliefs is pretty normal.

• Upvote 7

I’m surprised that Northwest Baptist only has one bus.  The IFB church down the road from my previous apartment complex used to have two.(I noticed they were gone a few years ago.  They were 1980s-vintage school buses, so maybe it got too expensive to keep them on the road.)

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic