IGNORED

Maxwell 41: Taking a Short Vest Rest

Coconut Flan

I work in a school and kids clubs - we have to have permission from the parents for children’s photos to be used:

In classroom displays

In advertising magazines / brochures / leaflets

In something another parent might see (so for example a group photo on a field trip that gets emailed privately to all parents)

Online - website and social media

Some parents say yes to all, most say yes to all except online / social media. The Maxwells should definitely have permission - they could find themselves in real trouble (I’m sure they would have no idea also why a parent might not want their child’s photo online. It could put a child in danger but you know, I doubt the Maxwell’s have even had adequate training about spotting the signs of a child in danger or what to do if a child disclosed something to them - a basic safeguarding course - not sure if that’s the American terminology!)

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

I work in a school and kids clubs - we have to have permission from the parents for children’s photos to be used:

In classroom displays

In advertising magazines / brochures / leaflets

In something another parent might see (so for example a group photo on a field trip that gets emailed privately to all parents)

Online - website and social media

Some parents say yes to all, most say yes to all except online / social media. The Maxwells should definitely have permission - they could find themselves in real trouble (I’m sure they would have no idea also why a parent might not want their child’s photo online. It could put a child in danger but you know, I doubt the Maxwell’s have even had adequate training about spotting the signs of a child in danger or what to do if a child disclosed something to them - a basic safeguarding course - not sure if that’s the American terminology!)

The Maxwells put children in danger when posting their pictures online pretty often.Yet, their own children have been "protected" from the dangers of the world outside Steve's bubble. Children on social media is no problem, but a Maxwell child watching television or reading a book = danger. 

Just a tiny glimpse into the upside down wold Steve has created for his own benefit. 

• Upvote 20

I've seen the pictures of Mary doing face painting on children at their local fair. No where in any photo was there any evidence of proper makeup hygiene.  Since Mary got her painting advice from Steve and assuming Steve does not wear makeup  - I doubt they even considered any hygiene issues. So I don't think they even gave a thought to obtaining consent for posting pictures of the children Mary works with. TBF I'm not sure ANY fundies get the concept of consent.

• Upvote 14

All of the bible club kids are really cute! I hope Mary enjoys her time with them, and vice versa.

I don't think the Maxwells consider the rights or wishes of anyone outside of themselves. They surely did not ask the parents for permission before posting the photos.

Although they did crop Anna Marie's sister out of that one pic a while back... She's been in a close-up, full face pic lately though so the cropping is unlikely to be a result of her not wanting to be on the blog at all (maybe she just didn't like that one pic).

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Paperplate said:

Although they did crop Anna Marie's sister out of that one pic a while back... She's been in a close-up, full face pic lately though so the cropping is unlikely to be a result of her not wanting to be on the blog at all (maybe she just didn't like that one pic).

It was nice to seen Anna Marie's younger sister in the recent family photo. She was such a little girl when Anna Marie and Christopher got married, and now she has grown up. 

• Upvote 14

3 hours ago, moreorlessnu said:

It was nice to seen Anna Marie's younger sister in the recent family photo. She was such a little girl when Anna Marie and Christopher got married, and now she has grown up. 

I noticed her also. She has grown up. I bet she enjoyed have her nephew around. 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Paperplate said:

I don't think the Maxwells consider the rights or wishes of anyone outside of themselves. They surely did not ask the parents for permission before posting the photos.

I doubt they asked the nursing home/assisted living residents permission either when they are at "church".  That could be a major HIPPA violation.

These are the same people that think women shouldn't have the right to do what they want regarding their bodies and along with men marry whoever they want and divorce whoever they want so why would they respect the privacy of others.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

The church photos were at an assisted living place not a nursing home.  I'm not sure HIPPA applies there since it isn't technically a medical facility.  Good sense and manners would normally apply as well as facility policy.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

The Maxwells should definitely have permission - they could find themselves in real trouble (I’m sure they would have no idea also why a parent might not want their child’s photo online. It could put a child in danger but you know, I doubt the Maxwell’s have even had adequate training about spotting the signs of a child in danger or what to do if a child disclosed something to them - a basic safeguarding course - not sure if that’s the American terminology!)

I don't know that any of this has crossed their minds. I've worked in a school and I've volunteered with parachurch organizations (which may be the umbrella under which Anna/Mary teach this Bible club.) The parachurch guidelines are just basic stuff like "Don't touch any swimsuit areas or kiss kids" and "immediately report any disclosure of abuse to your supervisor." The school training was much more in-depth with the sort of behaviors an abused child might exhibit. I'm really not sure the Maxgirls would KNOW abuse if it were disclosed to them. If a child casually mentioned inappropriate contact but used a slang term for a part of their anatomy, would the sisters be able to decipher or just think the kid was mumbling gibberish? If a child mentioned being hit, would the sisters mentally write that off as a spanking? (To clarify, the Maxwells have been really silent about corporal punishment. But fundies are known for it, starting with newborns on blankets.) If a child said that they'd been denied food at home, would Anna and Mary think that was normal, like Dad's frequent fasts? I hope they're working with a reputable organization and have supervisors who know what to look for, because adults this sheltered might not be able to recognize something they need to report.

ETA and also fundies fear CPS like the devil himself and believe that CPS workers are evildoers who are there to snatch children out of loving, godly homes. Doesn't HSLDA have a whole checklist of "what to do if CPS comes knocking" that starts with refusing them entry without a warrant? So the likelihood of Anna or Mary actually making a report with CPS is pretty much nil.

15 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

The church photos were at an assisted living place not a nursing home.  I'm not sure HIPPA applies there since it isn't technically a medical facility.  Good sense and manners would normally apply as well as facility policy.

Remember the picture of one of Nate and Mel's kids hijacking a resident's walker, which was clearly labeled with the resident's name?

5 hours ago, Paperplate said:

I would lean toward the latter. I was one of the FJers who managed to see the picture before it vanished and it was very unflattering, and led to a (very kind and gentle) discussion here about whether her albinism would lead to premature aging. She looks really good in the picture they posted from Washington so it was evidently an awkward angle/movement and not an accurate representation of how she really looks. I'm glad for her sake that they took it down.

Edited by Bethy
  • Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, Bethy said:

Remember the picture of one of Nate and Mel's kids hijacking a resident's walker, which was clearly labeled with the resident's name?

Again, bad manners and thoughtless and probably against facility policy, but HIPPA applies to medical facilities and assisted living places are usually marked specifically as NOT being medical facilities.  Where my mother lives makes this blatantly plain to people placing relatives there.  They do, however, have a photography policy and also an NDA/privacy policy that regular volunteers which would cover people like the Maxwells would need to sign and follow and that prohibits them discussing the residents outside the facility or photographing them and using the photos.  That is one facility so what the one the Maxwells visit does is up to them. 

• Upvote 6

The pictures of The Elderly don’t bother me so much - they’re attending a public church service, I don’t think they have a reasonable expectation of privacy. So many churches are streaming online right now with shots of the congregation singing etc. And I doubt anyone known to The Elderly are searching the internet trying to locate them.

The bible club kids, on the other hand, raise a whole heap of privacy issues. If they’re recruited from low income housing a lot of them would be from sole parent families and it’s likely some of them are subject to custody orders, protection orders and the like. There could well be unsafe family members looking for information as to their activities and movements. They’re also just starting their online life and may not want to be publicly associated with Maxwell lunacy forever just because they went to a club for crafts and snacks or their mother dropped them off to take advantage of free childcare from those nice Christian girls who seem to love children so much.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

20 hours ago, browngrl said:

Mary is almost always photographed face on but in the one side view photo I've seen,Mary had quite the under bite. Wouldn't an orthodontist address the malocclusion that would come with an underbite? Could this be the source of the infamous anecdote about a dentist asking what Mary wanted rather than addressing Terri ?

Also: thanks for the fan cleaning updates - I've been feeling all sorts of flustered worrying about the state of all your ceiling fans

I think in some cases, that kind of malocclusion requires major surgery to correct - they basically break your face off and pull it forward over a period of weeks. It's possible that they decided it wasn't worth the pain and expense if she wasn't having problems with it. A girl I went to high school with had surgery to correct an underbite during my senior year. She was out of class for like six weeks and when she came back, she was on a liquid diet because her jaws were still wired shut. It looked really intense.

It's also very likely that Samaritan wouldn't cover the cost of what they judged to be a cosmetic procedure.

On that note, I often wonder how Steve justified all of that orthodontia. He's said that they don't work out to look good or be healthy, but he was willing to shell out thousands of dollars for all of his offspring to have braces. It seems like straightening teeth for the sake of appearance wouldn't be compatible with his worldview. Do I smell someone mAkiNg aN iDoL out of cosmetic dentistry, Steve?

(And yes, I know that in some cases, orthodontic correction isn't just cosmetic, but does Steve?)

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, Joe Pukepail said:

I think in some cases, that kind of malocclusion requires major surgery to correct - they basically break your face off and pull it forward over a period of weeks. It's possible that they decided it wasn't worth the pain and expense if she wasn't having problems with it. A girl I went to high school with had surgery to correct an underbite during my senior year. She was out of class for like six weeks and when she came back, she was on a liquid diet because her jaws were still wired shut. It looked really intense.

It's also very likely that Samaritan wouldn't cover the cost of what they judged to be a cosmetic procedure.

On that note, I often wonder how Steve justified all of that orthodontia. He's said that they don't work out to look good or be healthy, but he was willing to shell out thousands of dollars for all of his offspring to have braces. It seems like straightening teeth for the sake of appearance wouldn't be compatible with his worldview. Do I smell someone mAkiNg aN iDoL out of cosmetic dentistry, Steve?

(And yes, I know that in some cases, orthodontic correction isn't just cosmetic, but does Steve?)

Usually I think these fundie families are investing in orthodontia for the marriage market (particularly in families like the Duggars and Rodrigues where girls are much more likely to be given braces) but we know that isn’t the case with Steve. I guess he wants to know that it’s his choice that his daughters are all unmarried, not because of any perceived flaw in them.

• Upvote 5

On 8/22/2020 at 8:34 PM, browngrl said:

Mary is almost always photographed face on but in the one side view photo I've seen,Mary had quite the under bite. Wouldn't an orthodontist address the malocclusion that would come with an underbite? Could this be the source of the infamous anecdote about a dentist asking what Mary wanted rather than addressing Terri ?

Also: thanks for the fan cleaning updates - I've been feeling all sorts of flustered worrying about the state of all your ceiling fans

I was mocking fan cleaning and then looked up with my glasses on. The blades are FURRY. Tomorrow I take my trusty putty knife to scrape! 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10

The Mary birthday post reads like Sarah's writing to ten-year-olds.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

22 hours ago, Bethy said:

Did they say she graduated twice? Feel free to point me toward the blog post if they did, but all I've been able to find is one in the summer of 2012 where she was working on school through the summer because she was on track to graduate early, then some mumbling about having to outline the entire Bible (I don't recall any mention of anyone else being required to do this) and then finally, her graduation "festivities" in late March 2015 - a few months shy of her 19th birthday, so not exactly "early" by anyone's standards. By the time I was that age I had a year of college under my belt.

So I think they were starting to push for early graduation, then realized if they pushed it the other direction Teri could claim the 30-year career, and that's what was done.

I'd be interested to know what Mary really wanted. But I'm not sure even Mary knows the answer to that, considering Mary is the child who didn't know what she wanted done in her own mouth at the orthodontist's office.

IIRC - And I think I do - her meek reply to the orthodontist was, “Whatever my mommy wants.”

As to her graduation, as I recall the subject went away and then reappeared later, as you noted. Alongside the fatuous bragging about Teri’s “30 years.”

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

5 hours ago, Joe Pukepail said:

He's said that they don't work out to look good or be healthy,

Why do you work out if not to be healthy or to look good? Working out is good for your health and that’s a fact. B543E78A-C18B-48A7-BCA7-EF250B9EBA3D.thumb.jpeg.c9344bb5e5dd72dcdba58fffb5f6ea3e.jpeg

I assume they are talking about the church that they are attending during covid and not the church they run. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Joe Pukepail said:

He's said that they don't work out to look good or be healthy,

Not an uncommon mindset among fundies, particularly the looking good part. I forget if it was Nancy Leigh DeMoss or one of her guests who said many years ago that women shouldn't work out because they want to be thin or look attractive (except possibly if it's so one looks attractive for one's husband) but simply to have the strength and endurance needed for daily work - justified by their favorite, the Proverbs 31 woman, who "strengthens her arms for her work."

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, Joe Pukepail said:

I think in some cases, that kind of malocclusion requires major surgery to correct - they basically break your face off and pull it forward over a period of weeks. It's possible that they decided it wasn't worth the pain and expense if she wasn't having problems with it.

Perhaps I'm cynical but I doubt Steve didn't do the surgery because of what Mary would go through. I think he looked at the cost and decided that Mary did not have a problem with the malocclusion.  Given the degree of malocclusion, I suspect she does notice it (patients can usually detect even a subtle malocclusion and her's does not look subtle) but is coping because she does not know anything else. A significant underbite can have medical/dental sequelae so I hope Mary is doing ok.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, freejugar said:

haven't we had the first day of school post before?

We have, but I don't believe from Melanie's point of view.  Which is, of course, exactly like Teri's point of view.

Geez, looking at Mary's response to Jennifer L. I'm thinking maybe Sarah is the best writer in the family.  "My favorite way to spend time with them is to go and be with them at various times."  What the heck?

• Upvote 16

Just as an aside, but it's impossible for the Maxwells to violate HIPAA laws: they apply ONLY to medical providers not to visitors or other laypeople.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, browngrl said:

Perhaps I'm cynical but I doubt Steve didn't do the surgery because of what Mary would go through. I think he looked at the cost and decided that Mary did not have a problem with the malocclusion.  Given the degree of malocclusion, I suspect she does notice it (patients can usually detect even a subtle malocclusion and her's does not look subtle) but is coping because she does not know anything else. A significant underbite can have medical/dental sequelae so I hope Mary is doing ok.

According to an orthodontic website, here are some things that could occur with an untreated underbite:

Speech difficulties, pain in the jaw or mouth, frequent headaches, TMJ/TMD, ear discomfort or dysfunction, stomach issues, sleep apnea, bruxism, hypertension, self esteem issues.

Corrective techniques have improved to try and avoid jaw surgery.

Many years ago I lived in Kansas City, Missouri. University of Missouri has the School of Dental Medicine right there, with an orthodontic division.  If cost was an issue and if her case presented as a good teaching opportunity, she could be accepted for treatment with fewer out of pocket expenses.  Something to think about, Steve.

• Upvote 6

I have a fairly pronounced overbite that would require surgery to fix. My parents would have paid for it. I have so far chosen not to get it done. It doesn't affect me enough that I want to have my jaws wired shut and go on a liquid diet for a while. Both times I have investigated surgery, the thought of it made me feel hysterical.

I doubt Steve gave Mary the choice. But it might not be a big deal to her anyways.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, kpmom said:Geez, looking at Mary's response to Jennifer L. I'm thinking maybe Sarah is the best writer in the family.  "My favorite way to spend time with them is to go and be with them at various times."  What the heck?

Mary wrote a report of her trip to volunteer at Operation Christmas Child that was just abysmal. One detail that sticks is for people to “do older boys” (pack boxes for the oldest male category). It was splendid. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic