IGNORED

Maxwell 41: Taking a Short Vest Rest

Coconut Flan

A woman I worked with had breast cancer. She saw an actual oncologist and a naturopath. She refused to tell the oncologist what she was taking from her naturopath because she didn’t want to , in her words , get in trouble. I tried to convince her that the oncologist needed to know exactly what she was doing due to drug interactions but she told me she was going to do what she thought was best. She survived the cancer but I don’t know if she ever did give her oncologist the full picture. I hope Anna does.

• Upvote 10

Oh my god. She is going to do chelation? 

There is zero evidence that does anyone any good unless they actually have lead poisoning. 

I know people do what they think best, but how the hell do you go all quackery when your life is at stake? 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

24 minutes ago, freejugar said:

They've posted an Anna update.

Why would she need dental work?

Can't she just take a pill for vitamin C? why would she need to go to a clinic?

I understood the dental work as being a different thing than the vitamin C supplementation.

Some people do indeed have their teeth filled with a substance containing mercury. My hubby last year asked his dentist if he should get his mercury filling removed and replaced with a healthier filling but the dentist advised against it and said that as long as the fillings are in place, it’s best to just keep them there. According to his dentist, as long as the fillings don’t get removed, they apparently don’t pose any risk and the “only” unhealthy times are when the mercury fillings are put in and taken out. So he said not to take them out... 

However, I can imagine Anna Marie trying to really check every body part to make sure she can eliminate any added cancer risks. Is it a little extreme? Maybe, but I’d consider it self-care and find it very understandable considering her situation. 

5 minutes ago, Botkinetti said:

A woman I worked with had breast cancer. She saw an actual oncologist and a naturopath. She refused to tell the oncologist what she was taking from her naturopath because she didn’t want to , in her words , get in trouble. I tried to convince her that the oncologist needed to know exactly what she was doing due to drug interactions but she told me she was going to do what she thought was best. She survived the cancer but I don’t know if she ever did give her oncologist the full picture. I hope Anna does.

As Anna posts about her treatment plans and naturopath visits online, they don’t seem to be secrets. At least I hope so... 

You’re right, it’s so important to share such information with the doctor(s) treating you. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 9

3 hours ago, freejugar said:

They've posted an Anna update.

Why would she need dental work?

Can't she just take a pill for vitamin C? why would she need to go to a clinic?

Chemo therapy is very caustic to the teeth. It’s just so toxic. In order to kill the bad cells, it also destroys so much of the good.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

I would worry if she was just seeing the naturopath; however, she seems to be doing everything the oncologist wants her to do as well. If the only thing she achieves from the naturopath is a more positive outlook on her treatment- then even that would be worth it. 

As far as the dental work is concerned- it is nice to see a fundie family take dental work seriously (ahem...the Mills Family...) 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

Anna wrote that she's grateful that Christopher is willing to "help" with the kids, so yeah, I wonder if most of the home related stuff is falling on her shoulders.

Uh, Christopher, they're your kids too.  Your wife is very sick.  You work for a family member who understands what your family is going through.  I sincerely hope you're doing a whole lot more than "helping".

At least they're socially distancing.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 10

2 hours ago, kpmom said:

Anna wrote that she's grateful that Christopher is willing to "help" with the kids, so yeah, I wonder if most of the home related stuff is falling on her shoulders.

Uh, Christopher, they're your kids too.  Your wife is very sick.  You work for a family member who understands what your family is going through.  I sincerely hope you're doing a whole lot more than "helping".

At least they're socially distancing.

I'm hoping (but not positive) that she means during his normal work day. As she said, "Christopher’s flexibility in work hours is a blessing, and I’m grateful for his willingness to help out with the children so I can get extra rest." I'm wondering if she means he is willing to take breaks during the day to give her naps. Now he should do this- however, it is a little less bad than him just "helping" during evenings/weekends. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

59 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

I'm hoping (but not positive) that she means during his normal work day. As she said, "Christopher’s flexibility in work hours is a blessing, and I’m grateful for his willingness to help out with the children so I can get extra rest." I'm wondering if she means he is willing to take breaks during the day to give her naps. Now he should do this- however, it is a little less bad than him just "helping" during evenings/weekends. 

We don't know how much Christopher is or isn't helping. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because as uptight and arrogant as he comes off, he does really seem to love his wife and I'm rooting for him to be taking good care of her, especially right now. But can we just take a second to talk about how sad it is that she's heaping praise on him for what sounds like it might be bare-minimum parenting? The bar is just so dang low for fundie men.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 13

I hope the extended family find ways to continue helping Anna Marie even if her family remains in isolation. With proper sanitation precautions, they could be grocery shopping, cooking (or even partial meal prep like chopping vegetables), and doing her family’s laundry in their homes and then doing doorstep delivery. Putting some supplementary Zoom story time with Grandma, aunties, or whomever on the schedule might also cheer the children and give Anna Marie more of a break. Even if she and Christopher split childcare and housework 50/50 (which is somewhat unlikely) that is still a lot for her to handle at this point. I imagine the extended family is doing some stuff right now, but based on this update they could likely be doing much more. 

Eta: Then again, Teri makes everything so complicated that maybe it’s actyally easier for AM to do things on her own rather than having to constantly strategize with the in-laws. 

Edited by Dominionatrix
To complete thought
  • Upvote 20

Dental work doesn’t surprise me - like someone said above, chemo can cause chaos for the teeth. I had strong and lengthy chemo as a child, on and off starting as a baby until 2 and more when I was 3 or 4 - lost a lot of baby teeth very early. Not all, still managed. The acid from the vomit where you just puke so much is another factor - it just destroys the teeth. I wonder if this has happened to Anna - she may need cavities filling or some could be lose at the gum.

I really hate it when parents have to be praised and thanked for “helping” or “babysitting” their own children. I just don’t think it’s something to be grateful for, it’s just what should be done. My dad sang in a choir - if mom was sick on choir night, dad stayed home to look after us, it’s what he should do and what he did. Likewise mom had her own life too - mom definitely was th “traditional” parent in that she worked part time only and only when I was at school, but they were definitely a team. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 12

On 8/29/2020 at 8:59 AM, Botkinetti said:

After my TIA, I saw a naturopath in addition to my MDs in order to discuss dietary issues. My GP was more than happy to share the results of my lab tests with her, so I had the fortunate situation of having two sides of the health care community working cooperatively.

• Upvote 12

I know this has been brought up before but worth repeating.  The Maxwell family relies on college educated people to help with their health issues....Anna's cancer, Steve's heart problems, Teri's back problems, Melanie's infertility and high risk pregnancies yet college is not an option in the family.

On another note sounds like there is an uptick of COVID cases in Marion County IA where Allison Bontrager got married.  Hope Chelsy, John, and kids didn't get it and bring it home to Maxhell and the rest of Leavenworth.

• Upvote 17

On 8/29/2020 at 11:35 AM, SassyPants said:

Chemo therapy is very caustic to the teeth. It’s just so toxic. In order to kill the bad cells, it also destroys so much of the good.

Chemo and associated medication, like anti-nausea meds, can really dry out your mouth, as well, which makes you very susceptible to tooth decay. Add in mouth sores which make brushing unpleasant or impossible, and you have a recipe for disaster in your mouth. For most people, dental health kind of falls by the wayside during cancer treatment, so I guess it's good that she's on top of this. Tooth pain sucks and I can't picture Samaritan covering dental restoration.

Old school chemotherapy is basically an attempt to kill the cancer by almost killing the patient. The intention is that the patient lives just long enough to let the chemotherapy do its job, and then the drugs can be discontinued. Some of them even have a maximum lifetime dosage because they are so, so toxic to all cells, not just malignant ones. I read once about a young person who was about to receive a bone marrow transplant. To explain the intensity of the induction chemotherapy, his doctor said, "We are going to bring you to the brink of death, and then we are going to bring you back to life." There are new, targeted drugs being developed every day that don't have the same harsh side effects. Not everyone's cancer will respond to them, though, and if yours doesn't, or if you relapse during or after treatment with one of them, you're basically stuck with the old shitty ones.

Fuck cancer. I don't like naturopathic "medicine", but I DO believe strongly in the placebo effect. If intravenous vitamin C and whatever other (overpriced) bullshit truly make Anna feel like she's getting better, then fine. No chelation, though. That can kill you even if you actually need it.

• Upvote 11

New Maxwell posting- They are now attending a *real* church.  And not all the *extended family* attend with them!!! 

But I am very happy to see that they acknowledge that the *Christopher/Anna* family is not currently attending to keep her safe.  I know we cannot always find positive things to say about their choices but I give points for this.. 

• Upvote 34

31 minutes ago, NoseyNellie said:

New Maxwell posting- They are now attending a *real* church.  And not all the *extended family* attend with them!!! 

But I am very happy to see that they acknowledge that the *Christopher/Anna* family is not currently attending to keep her safe.  I know we cannot always find positive things to say about their choices but I give points for this.. 

And Joseph is in Kansas City as well at least for church? I wonder if they moved first maybe? So much we don't know. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

That really surprises me. I figured they'd just home church. They've so anti-normal church for so long, this must be kind of weird for them. I do think it's a good thing, though. Gives them all opportunities to socialize and meet new people. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4

In the post, Teri said it was 18 years they attended the elderly church, I was surprised to read it was so long. Do we know why they switched to the elderly church the first time? Could this move be because Steve starts to feel the pressure of still having all the girls at home and with no prospect thus far? Or maybe Steve and Teri start to feel too much at a close age to some residents there? 

I hope this could be a good chance for the girls at least they have the opportunity to spend some times near people of their age and not just relatives or older person 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2

I'm speechless.  Well, I'm posting and I almost never post so not speechless but ya know! 

Weren't they Pastors of the nursing home church?  What about all the residents whose church has been stopped? I would of thought they would try to do online church or visit when they can, or send things in the mail - but nothing? 

I dont know whether to laugh or cry that they believe God used a global pandemic to sort out their 'church problem'!!

Yes, for us, we saw Covid as God’s hand in our church situation. [Terri in the blog comments]

• Upvote 12
  • WTF 7
  • Thank You 1

Because god so wanted the Maxwells to attend a "real" church that he struck the world with a Pandemic. 

Nice god ya' got there. 

• Upvote 29
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

What is the name of the Maxwells town again? It was interesting that Joseph and Elissa go to church in Kansas City. Wonder if they have moved or just really like the church? Wonder if they go to the same church as Jesse and Anna? Is it a thing for family members to all go to the same church? My mom was one of seven kids in the family and they all went to different churches as adults. My dad’s sister’s belonged to different churches than we attended. My sister and I do not belong to any church. 

• Upvote 7

I looked up Platte City and saw Leavenworth (that’s their town!) appears to be a subdivision of KC. The way the Maxwells droned on about the distance, I thought it was much further. Church is very important to them so I’m glad they found one that suits. Too bad Sarah, Anna and Mary weren’t given the opportunity to select one that would best suit them; I doubt they were given much opportunity to voice their opinions. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

What’s so weird about their post is they act like they finally found this church... that they could invite others to... but then you find out it’s already their kid’s church and some of their friends attend.  

Such a weird thing to say. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic