IGNORED

Maxwell 41: Taking a Short Vest Rest

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Yes, Joseph's. It's on Redfin & Realtor.com with a Sold date of 8/20/20.

The history is interesting. Looks like Joseph bought it for $79,900 and it sold for $179,800. Clearly he took a dump and turned it around. I will give him (and all his siblings who helped) credit for that. 

What would I google to find this house?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Markie said:

The Church of the Open Door’s Awana pictures look like good fun. I wonder if Anna and Mary are Awana leaders? I really hope Nathan and Melanie’s kids can join. I knew some girls who wore skirts only and were really sanctimonious about it (probably because they were teased). I hope that the girls just shrug and say, “we like skirts.”

I was in Awana in sixth and seventh grades. My neighbors went and invited me to go along, so that's how I got into it. I liked it well enough, but after awhile the novelty wore off. We played the same games every week and I didn't see the point in memorizing isolated Bible verses without any context. The other kids were nice, but I didn't get close to any of them. They mostly went to the private school and church where the Awana meetings were held. They weren't obviously fundie-- they didn't only wear skirts or anything like that. It was more a case of them all having known each other since they were little kids and I just didn't fit in with them.

In one of the Maxwells' books ("Keeping Hearts"?), they describe a youth group that their older kids attended. They didn't say it was Awana, but I recognized it as such. Steve and Teri pulled the kids out of it because they cared too much about playing games with the other kids instead of memorizing their Bible verses. But maybe Nathan has good memories of his time in Awana and will hopefully allow his children to participate.

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

Wait, there are pictures of Mary and Anna at the Open Door church, but Sarah at the Baptist one - so where are they going then?

It's a little bit hard to tell from Teri's word salad, but she said in March that they had started attending the same church for Sunday mornings they had been attending on Sunday evenings

In the recent post she said that that the church they settled at was five minutes away and then (in the next sentence) that the church they used to travel to Kansas City to attend (that is, on Sunday nights) had moved a couple of times. If those two sentences are referring to the same church, then they are attending the Baptist church, since the the Open Door church has been at the same location for 50+ years. 

I think it's most likely that they are attending the Baptist church, but that Anna and Mary help out at the Open Door church and they have also attended its carpark service occasionally. It's also possible that they were attending the Baptist church but switched (settled) to Open Door recently, since the photo of Sarah at the Baptist church dates back from earlier in the year.  

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Markie said:

The Church of the Open Door’s Awana pictures look like good fun. I wonder if Anna and Mary are Awana leaders? I really hope Nathan and Melanie’s kids can join. I knew some girls who wore skirts only and were really sanctimonious about it (probably because they were teased). I hope that the girls just shrug and say, “we like skirts.”

I think it says that their Bible Club takes place in a low income housing complex. My guess is that it is an "outreach" ministry in the church and not for kids that attend their church. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

In one of the Maxwells' books ("Keeping Hearts"?), they describe a youth group that their older kids attended. They didn't say it was Awana, but I recognized it as such. Steve and Teri pulled the kids out of it because they cared too much about playing games with the other kids instead of memorizing their Bible verses. But maybe Nathan has good memories of his time in Awana and will hopefully allow his children to participate.

These are the types of things I think the Maxwell sons will do differently. Steve and Teri had so many weird rules that other fundies didn’t have. Like no youth group. I think the adult sons have to recognize that a church youth group isn’t the devil’s playground and allow their children to join. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 8

10 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

Check this out.  Chelsy and John go to the Open Door church.  They're in the video with Axton.  It's fast so watch out for it because you can't pause it.  https://www.opendoorinfo.org/?fbclid=IwAR0EWXXhVqGUUe8Ml9AkdFun2yHYl9TADzOGeJCGEbNjGtQ8dokW9aLO6Bs

Am I looking at the shot with the pregnant belly in the royal blue dress followed immediately by the toddler?

That changes the possibilities...I was going to speculate that maybe Anna/Mary got interested in AWANA ministry (and therefore, connected to COTOD) through connections made on their super-secret missionary trip, but if John and Chelsy are already there, who knows how long there's been Maxwell involvement.

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic