IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

8 minutes ago, SuffolkNWhat said:

It could be a lot worse, someone I went to uni with had the same name as a certain track suit wearing, cigar smoking marathon runner...

Oh yes............... that would be awkward!

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read somewhere that there are a couple of children around the world named Sauron, and a couple named Voldemort. That's just cruel, unless the name means something better in the parent's language (but isn't Voldemort latin for dark/black death? Not nice). I'm all for regulations, so that no one ends up with really crazy names. 

But it's funny when names means something other in another language (or maybe not funny for the carriers!). A not uncommon girl's name over here is Fanny. I know like 3 women with that name! Gun is another girl's name here (pronounced like "gunn" with the u-sound being the same as in "use") that might not work well internationally... Nowadays many people I know consider baby names according to what might work internationally (i.e. in an anglo-american context). 

Voldemort: flight from death. Vol de mort. Or flight of death. Both of which are applicable when you think about it. JK did French (as well as Classics/Latin) at university. 

Just now, mango_fandango said:

Voldemort: flight from death. Vol de mort. Or flight of death. Both of which are applicable when you think about it. JK did French (as well as Classics/Latin) at university. 

Yep. Vol - flight, de - of (or from), mort - death.

Malfoy is also French, meaning 'bad faith'.

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

From what I've seen, autocorrect usually goes for "Finger" before "Ginger."

Mine, 100% of the times goes to Ginger. I'm letting it.

I knew a "James Bond" who was my age. There's no way the parents didn't know what they were doing, and I can't imagine all the jokes he's had to put up with.

42 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Mine, 100% of the times goes to Ginger. I'm letting it.

Yeah, my MacBook autocorrects to Ginger and while I usually correct it, sometimes it's a battle and it'll just keep changing it and sometimes I don't notice because it changes after a little delay or I type too quick and it's changing as I'm posting. 

There's a girl around my age in my city called Kellie Kelly. I can't imagine what her parents were thinking when they named her 

53 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

There's a girl around my age in my city called Kellie Kelly. I can't imagine what her parents were thinking when they named her 

If you're going to do that to a child at least spell both names the same. 

2 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

There was a guy in my hometown named Phil Philips.  There was also an older lady named Fannie Butts.  That was married name, though.  

9 hours ago, louisa05 said:

*snip*

The ones with gimmicky names based on weather when they were born ("Sunny Dawn") or the season (a co-workers children named Autumn--born in October-- and Noel--born in December) or the place they were conceived (no child wants to be told his or her name is in honor of where they were conceived, please don't do that) or something like that all hated their names with a passion. 

eugh, this is my least favorite! Yet, if I really liked the name Autumn, and named my kid that who was born in spring, people would be all "wtf were your parents thinking" haha. 

I would NEVER want to know something as weird or embarrassing as where I was conceived, period, much less that I was named after that....double eugh!

The worst I ever saw was when I was working in an ER, and a 17-year-old patient came in (drove herself, was by herself) named Glitter....told us her dad told her she was named after his favorite hooker at the time. 

4 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

eugh, this is my least favorite! Yet, if I really liked the name Autumn, and named my kid that who was born in spring, people would be all "wtf were your parents thinking" haha. 

I would NEVER want to know something as weird or embarrassing as where I was conceived, period, much less that I was named after that....double eugh!

The worst I ever saw was when I was working in an ER, and a 17-year-old patient came in (drove herself, was by herself) named Glitter....told us her dad told her she was named after his favorite hooker at the time. 

I had more students than I would have thought named after when they were born...Autumn, Noel, April (apparently over due and supposed to be born in March, so the change of month inspired her name), a couple with the middle name May. Crazy. I also once knew a woman named "Merry Christmas"--you can guess when she was born. 

I had four that I remember were named after where they were conceived. They felt it was too much information. I don't blame them. One was "Kaci" for KC--Kansas City, Missouri, so at least no one would ask questions. The others were middle names at least and I don't remember them. 

On 9/3/2017 at 0:40 PM, calimojo said:

Ok, so this is probably more a product of my age than anything else, but here is what I think.  When you dye your hair purple,  and then people look at you funny because your hair is purple, I don't want to hear you complain.  In other words, you know going into it , that purple hair is going to attract attention, so if you don't want the attention don't dye your hair purple.

If someone picks a really unique or odd name then on some level you know that people will probably react to it.  So, just plan on it, and find a way to cope with it when it happens.

For the record, I like purple hair just fine, but it does get noticed and for the record, I think parents should name their children as they see fit (there may be some exceptions) as well.  

As someone whose hair has been just about every color imaginable, I really couldn't let this go without responding.  

Yes, people with bright/unusual hair color know it will draw a little extra attention (though less and less as it's becoming more common). That said, the idea that we need to suffer fools who point, stare, or make rude comments is both absurd and insulting. I colored my hair for one reason: it was one of the only things that made me feel pretty. I most emphatically did NOT do it as an open invitation for those around me to ignore all concept of basic manners and respect. A double-take or momentary pause to process that oh my god, someone has unusual hair? Fine. Notice, process, move on. Anything more than that, and it's you that needs a reality check.

It has nothing to do with age, either. Back when I was changing my hair every few weeks, it was often the elderly ladies who came in to the bookshop where I worked who gave me the kindest, most genuine compliments.  I was taught staring and making comments about someone's appearance were rude before I entered kindergarten. There is, quite literally, no reason or excuse for a grown adult to be rude about another's appearance. There are, however, plenty of reasons why they should be called out for doing so. 

Family near me have twin daughters, one Siena*, the other Isla.  The mum was telling me that she and her husband love Italy, and wanted both girls to have an Italian place name.  So Isla's middle name is Capri.  Isla Capri.  Haha

*I'm not sure how they've spelt it, Sienna is used as a girls name, but the city has one N. 

My name pet peeve is that I go by the short form of my middle name. My parents basically couldn't decide what my name should be. Almost no one knows my full name. Problems include:

People write cheques to my short form name and the bank won't accept them because they don't match my account.

I don't respond to my first name, so waiting room embarrassments occur where I am reading and not paying attention and they call and call my name and finally I realize it's me. When you finally get up everyone stares like you are a few cards short of a full deck.

Teachers call your first name "Anne" during first day attendance and you say "it's actually Jenny" and the whole class stares at you as if you are making up your own name.

All I can say is Thank GOD my mother didn't fill out my birth certificate application. In Spanish cultures, it seems to be the "thing" to give the kid as many names as possible...and of course Maria has to be one of them. My father got hold of it before she had a chance to fill it out. THe name I ended up with was bad enough...first name 8 letters, middle name 9 letters, last name 11 letters (and very ethnic) but if the mother had had her way, my birth certificate would have read "continued on next page" for my name. It's bad enough that it took 3 lines for my name on my drivers' license. I hate my name in a HUGE way. It doesn't suit me, it's too formal for me, people can't get it straight even when it's pretty obvious it's pronounced ONE certain way and there's a certain Neil Diamond song I'm subjected to every time they play that fucking Hyundai commercial. 

44 minutes ago, PainfullyAware said:

Teachers call your first name "Anne" during first day attendance and you say "it's actually Jenny" and the whole class stares at you as if you are making up your own name.

My aunt went through this on the first day of kindergarten. She's a twin- I've changed the names for privacy but similar to Anna Jamie and her twin is Amy Jane, but they go by Amy and Jamie. Jamie never knew that Jamie wasn't her real name, so she didn't respond when they kept calling for Anna. She got into an argument with the teacher about it. They had to call my grandmother down to the school to straighten it out. When she turned 18 she legally changed her name to A. Jamie Smith.

My son's name is the same as a former Swedish prime minister, both first and last name. We had joked about having twins and using this name and another name of politician with the same last name if we had twins but as time went on we kind of started to warm up to the idea that the boy inside my belly really was a *insert former prime minster's first name* and we really felt that the fact that my husband happens to share the same name (with a slightly different spelling) shouldn't really stop us from using it when we like that name. So he is a *former prime minster*. People our age or older sometimes chuckle but kids his age have no idea who that is so they will probably not notice it until they are old enough to have outgrown teasing someone for their name. There is nothing strange about the name in itself, it is a relatively common name and "in style" with what most parents our age name their kids, "grandpa names" as one of the younger parents I know called them. Well, I like "grandpa names" so that is what both my son and my daughter got (or she got a grandma name I guess).

13 hours ago, Queen said:

I've read somewhere that there are a couple of children around the world named Sauron, and a couple named Voldemort. That's just cruel, unless the name means something better in the parent's language (but isn't Voldemort latin for dark/black death? Not nice). I'm all for regulations, so that no one ends up with really crazy names. 

But it's funny when names means something other in another language (or maybe not funny for the carriers!). A not uncommon girl's name over here is Fanny. I know like 3 women with that name! Gun is another girl's name here (pronounced like "gunn" with the u-sound being the same as in "use") that might not work well internationally... Nowadays many people I know consider baby names according to what might work internationally (i.e. in an anglo-american context). 

We have common names being Joke (pronounced differently but still), Harm, Floor, Tiny, Ruud(pronounced Rude), Freek.

Funniest was the Engslish commentary around our Olympic swimmer Ferry Weertman, which is pronounced as Very Weird Man. 

Also my name sounds like a beerbrand to Eastern Europeans and like a holiday to Americans, but I like the fact that I have a typical Dutch name. If everyone was called the same it would be boring.

17 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I used to work in the NICU. The names I heard over those 35 years, oh my. My thought: If want a unique, edgy, whatever name, change your own name. Why saddle another with a name that most likely will be mispronounced, misspelled  or forever be the odd one out?  How cruel is that?

Most kids want to fit in, not be culled out.

Having grown up with a name that sounds like a joke in English I was horrified when my exes second wife named their son an ethnic name  based on her heritage that sounds like a vitamin commercial in English. I just hope the little guy goes for a variation of his old fashioned but at least not hilarity inducing middle name when he gets old enough to do so.  

4 hours ago, Karma said:

Family near me have twin daughters, one Siena*, the other Isla.  The mum was telling me that she and her husband love Italy, and wanted both girls to have an Italian place name.  So Isla's middle name is Capri.  Isla Capri.  Haha

*I'm not sure how they've spelt it, Sienna is used as a girls name, but the city has one N. 

They could have called her Isola at least it is a true italian name, but so old fashioned that I've never met a living one. Isolina, its diminutive, was quite popular till the mid century.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived