IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

@SadieJane - Scotch is a drink; Scottish is a nationality. :)  (I was called out on that ages ago - not here - but thought I'd pass along what little wisdom I now possess.) McKenna is a beautiful name.

GryffindorDisappointment has a three-syllable name, but we called her the very common nickname for it, and sometimes I shorten that even further to a single syllable, two-word nickname, But she LOVES her full name and uses it on FB and for certain social/career circles. Her name passed the "cheerleader/president test" - it works for a high school cheerleader, and also for POTUS, should she decide to run.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My name is Debbie, not Deborah, I got in to trouble a few times at school when I corrected teachers, who insisted on calling me Deborah. I said do you want me to bring in my birth certificate to prove it. My Dad chose my name after Debbie Harry, neither him nor my mum liked the name Deborah so were not going to put it on my birth certificate just because that's the formal version of my name.

My Dad was named John, in keeping with family tradition, he was always called Ian, the Gaelic form of John and got confused starting school when the teachers were calling the name John on the register. My brother was not called John.

22 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@SadieJane - Scotch is a drink; Scottish is a nationality. :)  (I was called out on that ages ago - not here - but thought I'd pass along what little wisdom I now possess.) McKenna is a beautiful name.

GryffindorDisappointment has a three-syllable name, but we called her the very common nickname for it, and sometimes I shorten that even further to a single syllable, two-word nickname, But she LOVES her full name and uses it on FB and for certain social/career circles. Her name passed the "cheerleader/president test" - it works for a high school cheerleader, and also for POTUS, should she decide to run.

Ahhhhh I learn something new everyday!!! I guess I'll stop referring to Mac as scotch, though she is my little fire baby!

7 minutes ago, of_the_lioness said:

I bet I am not the only one who is sitting here trying to guess everyone's first names now! :pb_lol:

Though one on guessing mine :my_biggrin: (unless you're Dutch).

But yes, I am also guessing :pb_rollseyes:

56 minutes ago, SadieJane said:

Ahhhhh I learn something new everyday!!! I guess I'll stop referring to Mac as scotch, though she is my little fire baby!

Isn't McKenna the made up fancy scotch on How I Met Your Mother

My first name is Skylar. Growing up I was the only one in elementary school with that name and then in high school there was one other girl and one boy with the same name. I was surprised when I learned how often it is used as a boys name. I've always had mixed feelings about my name...I like it and don't like it at the same time. Part of that is from years of working in customer service (3 years of strictly phone customer service) and having to repeat myself over and over and then question if I even know how to say my own name. I've had to call many insurance companies for my job and the reps are usually outsourced so often if they would ask if I said my name was Tyler or Kayla I would just agree. I always get excited when someone spells it right without having to ask- with an A not an E. My family calls me Sky and that works for me- simple and easy. 

My name is Corrie - which is a femine spellling -  but here in North America at least, seems to be more popular for males than females, and I do know of a few male Corrie's whose name is spelled the same way.  I've read that if you want to give your child a unisex first name, you should give a traditionally "female" or "male" name as the second one so people would be able to ascertain if you were male or female more easily - for example if my middle name was Corrie Anne then people could assume I was female.  But my middle name is also unisex so my parents were not into convention, apparently.

In addition to people's assumptions that I'm male from my name, I have also given up on people spelling it correctly at all, and I answer to a lot of other names - Connie, Carrie, Lorrie, Dori - since Corrie is not a common name either and seems to confuse people.  

My last name is Scottish (but also not a common Scottish last name), so I always have to spell my first and last names for people, all the time.  

My sisters have very traditional female names though so I always used to ask my parents "What were you thinking"? when they named me.  I have grown to like it though, it's different and unique without being Apple.

Someone I know just named their baby Skylar, then ended up going on a bit of a facebook rant explaining that no, it was not for trendy reasons. They're Dutch and it means "scholar", I feel bad if she got enough comments on it that she felt the need to shut down commentary.

By the time I came around my parents were over having people give helpful advice on my name, so decided to just tell everyone they were naming me "Utis Lynnette" to keep it private. They thought it was a fun joke, not realizing how truly concerned some of their friends were. Uuntil the priest stopped my mum and gave her a children's book on the saints for my brothers with lots of "beautiful, widely accepted names they could explore and pray over" or something along those lines. Mum still finds it hilarious when she talks about how mortified my dad was as he mumbled an excuse to get out of the conversation and promptly knocked over a free standing cross.

My name is about as basic white girl as you can get, but my parents are working hard on getting the pronunciation right on my new last name since it's not pronounced how it's spelled.

I screwed the pooch on Older Bonkers' name- people are forever asking if I named her after the "Twilight" movie.

In the words of grumpy cat, "NO."

Just now, TeddyBonkers said:

I screwed the pooch on Older Bonkers' name- people are forever asking if I named her after the "Twilight" movie.

In the words of grumpy cat, "NO."

A former co-worker of mine named her daughter Renesmee.  Ai yi yi.

Did anybody listen to the latest episode of the Longest Shortest Time podcast?  It's about a Hasidic woman named Fredia.  She's the 5th child in a family of 15 kids.  She gets married and for the first time stumbles into the secular world.  She can her husband begin to explore newspapers, the internet and movies.

Before you know it she adopts a screen name (Shpitzel), starts a blog and ends up documenting her departure from the ideals she was raised with.

whenever I hear stories like hers it makes me think "I wonder how long it will be before women like Jinger Duggar and Karen Schupe change their minds about the thoughts they were raised with?"

i hope someone heard the podcast.  It's #136.

26 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

Ahh I'd read that this was happening but have never come across one in the wild, so to speak

58 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I've read that if you want to give your child a unisex first name, you should give a traditionally "female" or "male" name as the second one 

Since there was already talk about naming laws a few pages back: that's another one in Germany. 

37 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

Damn, that Twilight fan is gong to feel really stupid in about 5 minutes.

As for naming laws, the US should have some, like no you can't name your kid .com, or Vagina, just stop it.

I wouldn't consider Skylar part of the tryndy name culture. I grew up in the 90's and had Skylar's (and Skylers) in my class.

11 hours ago, feministxtian said:

anyway, I'm on a rant after arguing with some dumb shits on a NASA/Space page. They have their shorts in a knot b/c I said one of the Mercury 7 was basically a fuck up and deserved to be grounded after his one and only flight. 

The one who fell asleep  or the one who screwed the pooch?

3 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

My Dad was named John, in keeping with family tradition, he was always called Ian, the Gaelic form of John and got confused starting school when the teachers were calling the name John on the register. My brother was not called John.

My friend's name is Peggy. In Kindergarten, the teacher, a nun, called her Margaret. Her little brother told their mom, "I hope when I go to school, the teacher doesn't call me Margaret." This was 55 years ago, her given name was Margaret but no one ever called her by that name.

3 hours ago, cascarones said:

Someone I know just named their baby Skylar, then ended up going on a bit of a facebook rant explaining that no, it was not for trendy reasons. They're Dutch and it means "scholar", I feel bad if she got enough comments on it that she felt the need to shut down commentary.

Except the 'name' Skylar is a tryndy mess no matter what anyone makes of it. Sure it can mean scholar if you look at it standing up side down, but scholar isn't really a Dutch word anyone uses (by my knowledge) and it's meaning "geleerde" sure isn't a name. It does have some Dutch people take over as well as you can see here (popularity chart): https://www.meertens.knaw.nl/nvb/naam/is/skylar We don't use professions as names: names like Mason, etc aren't used here because it's ugly as fuck (metselaar? That's Mason).

But besides that, they have every right to use the name Skylar as it looks pretty and is a cool name to use. Just don't make up etymology. #petpeeve 

I have a nephew named Skylar, and I have a friend who's daughter is named Skyler. It really is a unisex name.

Anyone else notice in the photo that Jana is holding Jinger's hand away from the candle? My 1st thought was she was ALWAYS a sister mom, even at 5 years old.

I had a friend 40 years ago at UGA who had a sister named Shuyler and another one named Regan.

@feministxtian,  it always annoyed the heck out of me when Caroline Ingalls would get called Carolyn on LHOP.  No! No! No! Her name is Caroline!  I did notice, though, that Scottie MacGregor who played Harriet Oleson pronounced Caroline correctly.

Going back to LHOP-- I just watched a season or two for the first time a few months ago. The first thought that popped into my head when I watched was that Nellie looks like a female Draco Malfoy! Anyone else see it?

12 hours ago, SadieJane said:

I want to jump on this name wagon. I gave my daughter a last name as a first name.  It worked because it was a scotch last name that went out with the German last name we rock out. She is a McKenna. 

Ooh I know someone who goes by that name (not the german last name though). Scottish on her mother's side so it was her mum's way of carrying the name on. It is a lovely name :)

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

The one who fell asleep  or the one who screwed the pooch?

The one that fell asleep got a Gemini ride. The one who screwed the pooch was the least qualified of the 7. 

**space and NASA geek. Some of my college instructors were retired NASA seeing as how I was an engineering/mechanical design major in Hampton VA. Cheap, well qualified faculty available!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived