IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

OMG I decided to dig deeper and there is actually someone named Spurgeon in the Netherlands :jawdrop:

This is cracking me up. Then there MUST be people who share my boys' names. 

12 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

@Chewing Gum Interesting. So let's say one of my sons is named Preston (not really, but similar). That's illegal? I find that so strange. Would you be so glad if it was illegal to use smushed trendy names?

I know the exception is when a last name has been previously used as a first name, so there's a chance you could use Preston as a first name. We just don't have a lot of last names that you can actually use as a first name (like Preston is). Can you imagine a little DeJong or VanBuren as your neighbour kid? :my_sick:

Another part of the naming laws here is that you can't name your kid anything in poor taste, like poop, bitch and those kind of words. I hope you see nothing wrong with that. 

There are a bizillion options left to name your kid something awful, like Hunk, Q’ZHN, D’Artagnaniël. All legit. 

27 minutes ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

This is cracking me up. Then there MUST be people who share my boys' names. 

If you fill it in here, you can see how many were given in 2016: https://www.svb.nl/int/nl/kindernamen/artikelen/zoeknaam/jongensnamen/

8 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

Another part of the naming laws here is that you can't name your kid anything in poor taste, like poop, bitch and those kind of words. I hope you see nothing wrong with that. 

This is not completely true as the rule that if it is used before it is approved also applies here ;-)

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

OMG I decided to dig deeper and there is actually someone named Spurgeon in the Netherlands :jawdrop:

Where did you find it? At least it's not Jessa inspired, no Spurgeon were born in 2014-2016

Just now, CarrotCake said:

This is not completely true as the rule that if it is used before it is approved also applies here ;-)

Really? Hmm never knew. That sucks. 

1 minute ago, Chewing Gum said:

Where did you find it? At least it's not Jessa inspired, no Spurgeon were born in 2014-2016

Really? Hmm never knew. That sucks. 

Found it on https://www.meertens.knaw.nl/nvb/ and then I googled a bit and found it is actually a student so definitely not Jessa inspired.

And think about Fokje, Befje, Dikshit, Qut, Eylul, Phuc. All approved names in the last few years.

Just now, CarrotCake said:

Found it on https://www.meertens.knaw.nl/nvb/ and then I googled a bit and found it is actually a student so definitely not Jessa inspired.

And think about Fokje, Befje, Dikshit, Qut, Eylul, Phuc. All approved names in the last few years.

Well Fokje is Frysk but the rest...well maybe Befje too. Unfortunate name, but probably legit. 

Just now, Chewing Gum said:

Well Fokje is Frysk but the rest...well maybe Befje too. Unfortunate name, but probably legit. 

Yes, since they are known names they are approved, very unfortunate for the kids though.

Parents of Dikshit, Qut, Eylul and Phuc maybe don't know Dutch (or English for Dikshit and Phuc) so I will forgive them.

8 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I know Dikshit is a Hindu name, and Phuc is Vietnamese. I've meet a few through work.  Unfortunate sounding in English, but surprisingly common in their languages. I'm sure there are some English names that sound very questionable in their languages!

6 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

I know Dikshit is a Hindu name, and Phuc is Vietnamese. I've meet a few through work.  Unfortunate sounding in English, but surprisingly common in their languages. I'm sure there are some English names that sound very questionable in their languages!

Yes true, that is also why they are approved.

And there are definitely some English names that sound stupid in Dutch and the other way around but they will all be approved because it are known names.

I still question the parents sometimes in those cases, but maybe they don't speak the language enough to realise.

But if I wanted to call my kid Poop I couldn't (unless I can prove it has been a given name before).

42 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

If you fill it in here, you can see how many were given in 2016: 

Neither name popped up.

As to your other comment, I obviously wouldn't want a child to be named poop or bitch. But those aren't on the same level as VanBuren imo. 

3 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I am not ChewingGum but I am Dutch as well. If you're son would be born in the Netherlands and you would want to name him you are not allowed to give him a surname as a first name UNLESS you have prove it is done before.

This means that surnames that have traditionally been used as first names in the past would be fine.

So in your case, Preston would be  approved since it is commonly used as first name (not neccesairly here in the Netherlands but I still believe it would be approved). 

On the other hand, Spurgeon would not be approved. Until at some point an official approves by accident, then afterwards everyone can use the name.

Exactly the same in Germany. Preston would be accepted as a common first name from another culture while a common German surname like Meier would not. 

Slightly related to the name conversation:

A certain family member of mine has first name/middle name which is famous UK actor's full name, he wasn't famous until the family member was a few years old, so it was a 'happy' coincidence (Whereas I'm deliberately named after a character in Doctor Who - geeky parents ;) )

I won't tell you which actor, but my family member has the nickname "Del boy" which has stuck solidly for decades ;) 

8 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

There are a bizillion options left to name your kid something awful, like Hunk, Q’ZHN, D’Artagnaniël. All legit. 

If you fill it in here, you can see how many were given in 2016: https://www.svb.nl/int/nl/kindernamen/artikelen/zoeknaam/jongensnamen/

I checked mine and it said it was a boys name! (Apparently that's the boys name site).  Checked the girls name site and it's still saying it's  only been used twice though.  Oh, my mother and father for settings me up for a life time of telling people I'm female.

Spurgeon has grown on me, as I no longer find it weird, but it still sounds harsh.  As I've said though, Spur is a cool nickname if they decide to go that route.

More from Jeremy's church public Facebook page:

Grace Community Church Laredo

Yesterday at 5:07am · 

Tomorrow morning, a team from our church here in Laredo will be heading North to join Thirsty Ground International's Relief Team in Katy, Texas. Thirsty Ground Intl. is a wonderful church-based non-profit ministry based in Corpus Christi, Texas, 3 1/2 hours from the Houston area. In recent years, Pastor Vuolo has travelled with Thirsty Ground to Asia, as well as the Middle East, to participate in Disaster Relief.

If you or your church is desiring to support these relief efforts, please consider Thirsty Ground Intl. They are non-profit and not a single person is paid anything from the tax-deductible gifts that go to Thirsty Ground. Every dollar given will go directly and immediately to purchase needed materials such as food, water, diapers, clothing, non-perishable food, tools, and all that is needed in such relief work.

I taught ESL in Korea in the 90's. One of the practices at our Hakwon was to give the children an English name. I would put a number of names on the board, say them aloud a couple of times and have the child choose his/her English name. I had Maggie as a name and one little girl chose it as her name. The next day the mother came in and wanted to know why her daughter was being called 'Fish' at our school. Maggie was changed to Monica. 

On a side note. I did end up with a class that consisted of: Mike, Carol, Alice, Marsha, Peter, Jan, Bobby, Cindy. I don't think anyone wanted to be Greg, but we did get a Sam.

16 hours ago, Fluffy14 said:

It is technically pronounced Mc I . Long sound on the I.

But NOBODY in her school ever got it right. We all just said McKay.  I think she gave up correcting us all. Hence Makayla rhymes.

Yeah, that's how I'd say it!

I see, that makes sense

1 hour ago, Markie said:

On a side note. I did end up with a class that consisted of: Mike, Carol, Alice, Marsha, Peter, Jan, Bobby, Cindy. I don't think anyone wanted to be Greg, but we did get a Sam.

That's so funny!!  

I'm confused. I think I missed something. Has she changed how she spelled her name? 

Someone is upset that it is sometimes spelled with a G on FJ. In spite of the obvious answer that autocorrect is going to fix ginger spelled with a J whether the reference is to a person, the spice or a cookie...discussion has ensued that not loving everyone's name or its spelling is classist, privileged or possibly abusive.

I had a 4th grader named "Oktober Sky" last week. I feel like it is totally fair to suggest her parents are crazy as long as I do not do so in their presence or hers. Because really "Oktober Sky"????

3 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Someone is upset that it is sometimes spelled with a G on FJ. In spite of the obvious answer that autocorrect is going to fix ginger spelled with a J whether the reference is to a person, the spice or a cookie...

That's really not an accurate representation of what's going on. Someone questioned why they were sometimes seeing posters spelling Jinger's name with a G, and pointed out that if it was autocorrect, that was understandable, but if not, they felt it was objectionable. A discussion then ensued about whether it was appropriate to call someone by a different name if you disliked their actual name. 

4 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

I  had a 4th grader named "Oktober Sky" last week. I feel like it is totally fair to suggest her parents are crazy as long as I do not do so in their presence or hers. Because really "Oktober Sky"????

I used to work in the NICU. The names I heard over those 35 years, oh my. My thought: If want a unique, edgy, whatever name, change your own name. Why saddle another with a name that most likely will be mispronounced, misspelled  or forever be the odd one out?  How cruel is that?

Most kids want to fit in, not be culled out.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I used to work in the NICU. The names I heard over those 35 years, oh my. My thought: If want a unique, edgy, whatever name, change your own name. Why saddle another with a name that most likely will be mispronounced, misspelled  or forever be the odd one out?  How cruel is that?

Most kids want to fit in, not be culled out.

I think you can give a kid a less common name without being ridiculous. I have a very common name and at times in my life would have preferred something less so. 

I used to teach the novel The House on Mango Street and have my kids do some writing in that style as an activity. One of the topic choices was to write about your name. Most of them chose that option and without exception, the kids with extremely common names wished for a more unique one and those with really odd names wished for common ones. The kids with names that were not crazy common but not out there (i.e. not "Oktober Sky") were the ones happiest with their names at age 15 or 16. 

The ones with gimmicky names based on weather when they were born ("Sunny Dawn") or the season (a co-workers children named Autumn--born in October-- and Noel--born in December) or the place they were conceived (no child wants to be told his or her name is in honor of where they were conceived, please don't do that) or something like that all hated their names with a passion. 

4 hours ago, CoveredInBees said:

Slightly related to the name conversation:

A certain family member of mine has first name/middle name which is famous UK actor's full name, he wasn't famous until the family member was a few years old, so it was a 'happy' coincidence (Whereas I'm deliberately named after a character in Doctor Who - geeky parents ;) )

I won't tell you which actor, but my family member has the nickname "Del boy" which has stuck solidly for decades ;) 

It could be a lot worse, someone I went to uni with had the same name as a certain track suit wearing, cigar smoking marathon runner...

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived