IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

On 9/2/2017 at 4:45 PM, singsingsing said:

Right. I mean, okay, I personally hate all the various insulting nicknames that get thrown around here (except for Pecan Thief, that one is golden), but it's not really the same. When people call Derick 'Dwreck', for example, they're expressing their negative opinion of the guy. Calling Jinger 'Ginger' (on purpose) is just outright disrespectful for no reason. Doesn't matter if you think the name is 'stupid', or if JB and Michelle were the ones who named her, she is now a grown woman who identifies herself as Jinger. Think about how demeaning it would be if people just decided that your name was 'unacceptable' to them for whatever reason and started calling you something else that they deemed 'better'. That's really not cool.

I heard about this conversation re: Jinger/Ginger and came here to unload on members if they are purposely misspelling Jinger's name, but I see you beat me to it and probably said it better than I would have in my Righteous Anger (tm).

As someone with a unique name (not a creatively spelled regular name), it has been an issue for me since I was a kid.  It was so bad that I planned to change my name when I was 18.  Of course, by the time I was 18 I was used to it and actually rather liked being the only one with my name.

HOWEVER, purposely misspelling or making fun of someone's given name is often used as a form of intimidation, harassment or embarrassment.

In the 5th grade, I had a teacher ask me (on the first day of class) if my parents threw all the letters of the alphabet in a hat, drew 5 and arranged them until they made a word.   *I* have (obviously) never forgotten that.  For the teacher, it was a blip on his radar and a couple years ago when we reconnected on FB and I mentioned it, he had no recollection of saying that and apologized for doing so.   He ended up being one of my favorite teachers and it didn't "scar" me, but I never forgot it.

In another instance, on a e-list I belonged to there was a particular man who was pretty nasty just in general and we butted heads from time to time.  He started purposely misspelling my name on posts where he was basically telling me how stupid/wrong I was about <insert topic>.   The first time I let it go because my name is close to another word and is commonly misspelled/mispronounced by people that don't really know me (mind you, we'd been on the list for probably 5 years together so he knew my name and how it is pronounced.) 

The second time it happened, I asked him nicely to please spell my name correctly when he was speaking to me.  When it continued, I finally really let go on him regarding his misogyny and general doucheiness and a few other people were then given the courage to speak out against him as well and that finally stopped it.

He went on to make a big deal about spelling my name correctly, which was just part of his general attitude toward women that disagreed with him, but that said more about him than me.

Our members should be better than to PURPOSELY misspell the name of the kids of the people we follow here.  They don't ask to be brought into the world by whackadoos and be given horrible names or to have their lives made public fodder.  Their parents may not respect their individuality and privacy, but we should be better than that here!

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one of the most common names of my generation (no, it's not Margaret, though I wish it was- I love old lady names). Oddly enough, a friend of mine from high school went through an emo/anime phase, was obsessed with Full Metal Alchemist, wore all black, tons of eyeliner, ultra-rebellious, then at 18 converted and became a fundie-lite stay-at-home mom... and named her son after one of the characters of Full Metal Alchemist (For privacy's sake, I won't say, but it's not Edward). I find it a bit odd to name your child after an anime character, especially an anime revolving around sin, with your new conservative Christian worldview... it's a perfectly lovely name, though.

This is why I don't unfriend people on Facebook. I'm nosy, and I want to know what people are up to without actually interacting with them.

I don't know much about name changes, but am beyond annoyed that it took ages for our marriage application to be found and was so relieved I could go get it. We could squeeze in a small shindig with our families already here then have something more relaxed later on.

His name is misspelled on it, which means no we can't. Or we could, but will forever have confusion on background searches even if they remedy it, just on how their records are stored and updated. He'd have to take time off and go handle it since it's his ID. Le sigh and also, sorry guy whose name is actually on there, because you'll be pretty confused as to who I am next time you search records with your name. Also sorry we got curious to see if there was someone with your name and looked at your LinkedIn profile, because now you'll wonder who we are.

I'm getting really interested in etymology with this baby naming fun, if anyone has good book recommendations I'd love a PM!

I wonder how the girls yet to be mums will name their kids, if Jessa will encourage them to wait until after meeting the baby like she and Ben did or go Jill's route.

My husband has the worst name. His first name sounds very white-trash in Germany (it's the Italian version of his German grandfather's name - the grandfather was apparently a total asshole, by the way - except that NO ONE in his family is Italian). His first middle name is Maria (in Germany you are not allowed to give your son a girl's name - except for Maria, becaus Catholics - but his family isn't Catholic; they named him Maria for his grandmother, who wasn't even named Maria but Marie, which they weren't allowed to use for a boy). His second middle name is a nice normal name, and the one he goes by (although he mostly goes by a very common nickname of this name - think Dave for David). What the fuck were his parents thinking? They had never intended to call him anything but Dave (not his real name), so why the hell didn't they just name him David? It obviously hasn't ruined Mr. O's life, but it IS a constant hastle with bureaucracy. He's been meaning to change his name since the minute he turned 18, but that is super hard in Germany. He has to prove that his name causes him psychological damage or some such bullshit.

22 hours ago, feministxtian said:

The one that fell asleep got a Gemini ride. The one who screwed the pooch was the least qualified of the 7. 

**space and NASA geek. Some of my college instructors were retired NASA seeing as how I was an engineering/mechanical design major in Hampton VA. Cheap, well qualified faculty available!

I thought Grissom was the one who screwed the pooch. He lost his capsule, after all, no matter how it happened. FTR he is my FAVORITE astronaut. I have a picture of his gravestone in a frame on my library shelves.

17 hours ago, guitar_villain said:

?  How on Earth (pun intended) do you conclude Grissom was the least qualified?  He was a combat pilot with a hundred missions, a flight instructor, test pilot and had a bachelor's in aeromechanics.  He flew on both Mercury and Gemini and according to Deke Slayton was the odds on favorite to be the first man on the moon before he was killed.

It's not like any of them wasn't absurdly qualified, but I can't see why he'd be at the bottom.

Thank you, @guitar_villain I believe he was very well regarded.

17 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Grissom was NOT the least qualified. Carpenter was. His log book was thin (and so was Glenn's) compared to Grissom, Slayton, Shepherd, Cooper and Shirra. Carpenter kissed up to Glenn...Glenn kissed up to the big-wigs. 

For me, the rank would have been Cooper, Grissom, Slayton, Shepherd, Shirra and then Carpenter and Glenn. 

Glenn, not qualified? I thought he had the same sort of record as the rest of them!

and completely unnecessary bit of trivia: I'm friends with a gal whose parents were both in the same class as Neil Armstrong in high school. She has both their yearbooks.. in one, NA is wearing a clearly homemade, but beautiful, sweater with reindeer on it.

I have a lovely one syllable name that people always want to infantalize and it makes me ragey. I say my name is Anne ( not my name) and people instantly call me Annie. Did I say Annie?? I know there are plenty of Annies out there, I'm just saying that's not my name. 

Autocorrect "purposely" corrects Jinger's name. Why should I waste my time correcting that?  I think people are internalizing this issue.

If it's such an issue, make it a TOS rule.

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

I thought Grissom was the one who screwed the pooch. He lost his capsule, after all, no matter how it happened. FTR he is my FAVORITE astronaut. I have a picture of his gravestone in a frame on my library shelves.

Nah...Carpenter screwed up bigtime. Grissom was never found responsible in any way for the hatch blowing on his ride. I met Aldrin and Shepherd years and years ago. 

Glenn and Carpenter's log books, in terms of testing and number of planes flown was MUCH thinner than Shirra, Shepherd, Grissom, Slayton and Cooper's books. Cooper was the SHIT!!! Hell, he fell asleep on the launch pad. He and John Young are my all time faves. They just have that total cool thing happening. 

If it becomes a rule, then no more Jimboob, Mechelle, Joshley, Dwreck, etc. I'll abide by whatever the rules are. My kindle changed Dillard to Collard, and I got tired of changing it. Some of the names bother me, like Fuckface, but not enough to worry about. I'll use the names I'm comfortable with, and ignore the ones I'm not.

16 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Autocorrect "purposely" corrects Jinger's name.

Autocorrect "purposely" also "corrects" the spelling of MY name, but I take the time to fix it. I also fix it when it "purposely" corrects the various spellings of Michele/Michelle; Alison/Allison; Stacie/Stacey/Stacy. It's just respectful to make sure you spell someone's name correctly when you're not trying to be snarky (such as Dwreck).

22 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

On the subject of naming babies after fictional characters, I know of 2 little girls names Khalessi.

Well, nobody will ever wonder what they're named for! I understand people are probably going for something "unique" but why pick a hyper popular TV/book character's name then? I guess I'm just old fashioned, but I can't see using something like that for anything but a middle name. 

15 hours ago, DillPicklePopcorn said:

I know an Emmett and a few Jasper's that have been inspired from that book series. 

At least those are still regular names, so they won't stick out like a sore thumb like Renesmee. 

15 hours ago, DillPicklePopcorn said:

Ai yi yi is right. I know an Emmett and a few Jasper's that have been inspired from that book series. 

I would have loved to name my son Emmett, and timing would have been very Twilight, but it is actually my grandpa's name.

Since ya'll probably know my name, I think when people hear it and don't see me, they automatically put me in a different age group than I am!  But it's easy and not super popular, so it's nice, I'm surprised it doesn't get used more, honestly.

I know a Katie who is just Katie. Not Katherine or Kathleen. I always thought that was strange because I am a Kathleen that goes by Katie. I like having the option to use Kathleen if I want to sound more "professional".

My daughter's full name passes the president/cheerleader test but we still gave her a unisex middle name in case she wants to go by that. I've heard some women have better luck being taken seriously on job applications if they have a unisex or male sounding name. Her first name is very feminine so I'm hoping she likes it when she grows up. I'd feel bad if she hated the name we picked. 

Given the naming variations we see on this site, I always assume it's auto correct. If people wanted to insult or dehumanize Jinger, it'd be a heck of a lot more blatant. Just my take on culture here and I think represents some of the stronger sentiments we see reiterated. For example, Derick, Josh and Ben are commonly called first name variations, but there's no systemic use of ones for Jeremy or Austin, who seem to be better liked/ more tolerated/ haven't hit the magical threshold of garnering a snark name that's stuck. It doesn't detract from their actual beliefs, but might change perception.

I don't mind the combined couple names, it's a cute representation of them as a unit and fairly common in my friend group to suss out if you're flying solo or double.

40 minutes ago, Henk12 said:

I know a Katie who is just Katie. Not Katherine or Kathleen. I always thought that was strange because I am a Kathleen that goes by Katie. I like having the option to use Kathleen if I want to sound more "professional".

I have a friend whose name is Jenny. Not Jennifer, but Jenny. She's forever having to correct people about it. 

I think most people have made it pretty clear that it's the intentional and arrogant misspelling or name changing that is the issue. 

One of my children is named for a place in a famous children's novel. It's beautiful and I love it. But it has been so sad how many younger people totally botch it bc they're unfamiliar with the books. 

We wanted to name one of our girls Kitty. I thought it best to use Katherine as her legal name, but my husband hates that so we ended up with something different. Happily though, as it's the same child with the place name. 

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

If it becomes a rule, then no more Jimboob, Mechelle, Joshley, Dwreck, etc. I'll abide by whatever the rules are. My kindle changed Dillard to Collard, and I got tired of changing it. Some of the names bother me, like Fuckface, but not enough to worry about. I'll use the names I'm comfortable with, and ignore the ones I'm not.

That's exactly it. I got tired of changing it. The truth is everyone is offended by something. There is no controlling that. I'll stick to initials. J/M....although I'm sure someone will be offended by that too. 

IMO, Ginger (proper spelling by the way) is not as disrespectful or offensive as Fuckface.

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Autocorrect "purposely" also "corrects" the spelling of MY name, but I take the time to fix it. I also fix it when it "purposely" corrects the various spellings of Michele/Michelle; Alison/Allison; Stacie/Stacey/Stacy. It's just respectful to make sure you spell someone's name correctly when you're not trying to be snarky (such as Dwreck).

Like on your phone? Don't personal items learn unique spellings after you self correct a couple of times? Are you talking about here on Free J? I don't generally type my name on here, certainly not as often as I would J's name. So Dwreck is ok, if someone is being snarky? 

2 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

It's not like he didn't earn it

Personally, I'm not offended by any of the monikers. I'm just trying to use some logic to determine how to work within the guidelines...I'd have never guessed that not correcting an autocorrected name would be such a big deal. 

Eh, like I said. J. works for me.

Just once, only once, I would like one of the ridiculous women to say  -  I love the way you care for me, your love for me is so reaffriming of the wonderful days of our courtship, and I know we will continue to grow together as we move from year to year.  Happy Birthday, my love. 

20 hours ago, nst said:

mine is from a Russian novel :D

So is my oldest Lurkerling's!:D   Pretty darn uncommon in the US, although, especially in its diminutive form, still fairly common in Eastern Europe

35 minutes ago, justodd said:

I have a friend whose name is Jenny. Not Jennifer, but Jenny. She's forever having to correct people about it. 

1 hour ago, Henk12 said:

I know two "Alex"es (one male and one female) who dated for a time. It was not a nickname for either. It's been years and I'm still over how slightly funny and fascinating I found that.

"Ginger" does usually seem like a typo or a newbie error to me, although apparently it is intentional sometimes. Weird, but whatever. I stand by my cake comment though- it looks like a "G" on that cake. But as far as we know, she associates strongly with the name Jinger and that's good enough for me. JB's explanation that once they got started with the theme, it felt weird to stop (in case the odd name out might be the last kid) does resonate with me. I'd probably feel the same way. "Jinger" doesn't bother me as much as having Joy Anna and Johannah, but no Julia, June, Jamilla, Jolene, etc... no excuse for that. And of course that's no fault of the daughters'.

I think it's just a matter of time before Austin and Jeremy get a nickname here that sticks, although "BAAAAAABE" is getting there. :my_biggrin:

"Bin" seems to be fading away as Ben's public persona gets less stupid.

I can't feel bad for Fuckface. Sorry not sorry.

5 hours ago, griffin said:

I have a lovely one syllable name that people always want to infantalize and it makes me ragey. I say my name is Anne ( not my name) and people instantly call me Annie. Did I say Annie?? I know there are plenty of Annies out there, I'm just saying that's not my name. 

People do this with my name as well.

Which I should mention is not actually my name but THAT is another story.

Telling drunk people that is always fun. :)

4 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Nah...Carpenter screwed up bigtime. Grissom was never found responsible in any way for the hatch blowing on his ride. I met Aldrin and Shepherd years and years ago. 

Glenn and Carpenter's log books, in terms of testing and number of planes flown was MUCH thinner than Shirra, Shepherd, Grissom, Slayton and Cooper's books. Cooper was the SHIT!!! Hell, he fell asleep on the launch pad. He and John Young are my all time faves. They just have that total cool thing happening. 

@feministxtian I think I'm in love with you. I spent a lot of time reading about the earliest astronauts... wanted to be one when I grew up... but that "girl" thing.....

1 minute ago, Four is Enough said:

@feministxtian I think I'm in love with you. I spent a lot of time reading about the earliest astronauts... wanted to be one when I grew up... but that "girl" thing.....

I saw Apollo 11 moon landing when I was 5 years old. And yeah, that whole girl thing...anyway, I ended up growing up about 5 miles from the original home of the Space Task Group (the precursor to NASA) that was formed at the old NACA research lab in Hampton VA (NASA Langley Research Center) right near Langley AFB where my dad was stationed. You can see the old gantries they used to practice the lunar landings and for "crash testing" the capsules when you're driving down Hampton Highway. The main road into NASA there is  Commander Shepherd Blvd. Mercury Blvd, which runs east/west thru Hampton and Newport News Va to the James River bridge used to be Military Highway...it was renamed in honor of the Mercury 7. The library in northern NN is the Virgil I. Grissom library. When Alan Shepherd got selected for NASA, he sold his house in VaBeach and moved to Newport News. A couple of other astronauts bought houses in the same subdivision. Christopher Kraft (the original, one and only flight director) is a graduate of Hampton High School and VaTech. 

Ok...now that I've proved my ability to be a totally disgusting geek....PM me for more 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived