IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

18 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

I'm sorry to ask - I have no imagination today - what is his nick? Closest I can come up with is "Chip," as in buffalo chip. 

Can't be turd, dump, poop, sh*t, road apple, scat, doody....... ?

My guess was Pooh, which is pronounced like poo.

Regarding names, just looking at Presidential surnames, Jefferson,  Jackson, Taylor, Tyler, Harrison, Lincoln, Wilson, Arthur, Carter, and Reagan are all used here as first names and have been for years. Although we haven't had a President with that last name, George is another first name/surname (think Lloyd George).

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad to see Jinjer's post regarding donations to thirstyground.org. It's in stark contrast to Derick's newest tone-deaf tweeting about getting his personal begging bowl site up and running. 

At least someone in that family knows how to read the room.

Guys, don't judge me but...

I actually like the way Jinger's name is spelled. :tw_flushed: It looks so weird to me when people spell it Ginger now. 

All of my kids have super traditional names but I think Jinger looks prettier I guess. 

4 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

Maybe his parents didn't think he'd be smart enough to remember more than one name. 

:pb_lol: That's a possibility I hadn't considered. In his case, the alliteration reminds me of a comic book villain. Like Lex Luthor, Loki Laufeyson, Doctor Doom...

But I also think Reince Prebius (who my brother calls rinse penis) sounds like the name of a Sith Lord. And Newt Gingrich is totally the name of the corrupt Ministy of Magic official who introduced the idea of registering muggle-borns when Voldemort returned...basically I think Trump surrounds himself with real-life manifestations of fictional villains.

ETA: Betsy DeVos = Professor Umbridge

2 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

:pb_lol: That's a possibility I hadn't considered. In his case, the alliteration reminds me of a comic book villain. Like Lex Luthor, Loki Laufeyson, Doctor Doom...

But I also think Reince Prebius (who my brother calls rinse penis) sounds like the name of a Sith Lord. And Newt Gingrich is totally the name of the corrupt Ministy of Magic official who introduced the idea of registering muggle-borns when Voldemort returned...basically I think Trump surrounds himself with real-life manifestations of fictional villains.

One of my old bosses first and last name started with L, so we used to call her The Evil L____ L_____, just because of comic book bad guys and the alliteration thing.

Come on, people. Christie's parents probably named him after his grandfather. Take a shot at him over something he had control over.

14 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

One more story. A friend named her girl Makayla instead of Michaela to prevent family from calling the girl Mickey or Mikey. And so family call her...Mack. :my_biggrin:

I have a friend who named her daughter Makayla to honor her Scottish heritage and her maiden name which was Mc Kay.

27 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Regarding names, just looking at Presidential surnames, Jefferson,  Jackson, Taylor, Tyler, Harrison, Lincoln, Wilson, Arthur, Carter, and Reagan are all used here as first names and have been for years. Although we haven't had a President with that last name, George is another first name/surname (think Lloyd George).

The surname-as-first-name thing has a long tradition behind it, especially for boys. It was so common in Scotland that the names don't stick oddly out particularly as being surnames, anymore - what's up, Cameron, Scott, Bruce, Blair, Stuart, Fraser, Grant, Duncan etc

3 minutes ago, Fluffy14 said:

I have a friend who named her daughter Makayla to honor her Scottish heritage and her maiden name which was Mc Kay.

Out of interest, how was she pronouncing McKay? I ask because for me, those names do not rhyme   (which is fine, linguistic change over time and geographical space is a thing)  and I wondered if they did for your friend.

33 minutes ago, Henk12 said:

Guys, don't judge me but...

I actually like the way Jinger's name is spelled. :tw_flushed: It looks so weird to me when people spell it Ginger now. 

All of my kids have super traditional names but I think Jinger looks prettier I guess. 

I like her name too!

I like a lot of surname-sounding names actually, it's so common amongst boys that I don't usually think twice about it. I was actually thinking of using that as a theme for my kids :my_angel:. Carey or Courtney for a girl, Elliot or Olliver for a boy, etc haha. 

It is technically pronounced Mc I . Long sound on the I.

But NOBODY in her school ever got it right. We all just said McKay.  I think she gave up correcting us all. Hence Makayla rhymes.

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

I'm sorry to ask - I have no imagination today - what is his nick? Closest I can come up with is "Chip," as in buffalo chip. 

Can't be turd, dump, poop, sh*t, road apple, scat, doody....... ?

My guess was Duke, nickname Dukie, pronounced like Dookie.

8 hours ago, seraaa said:

I like her name too!

I think I would've liked for Jim Bob and Michelle to replace both Gs with Js because I'm not one to half-ass anything and the solitary J seems so...incomplete. ;) Plus it wouldn't immediately make one's brain want to rhyme it with 'ringer'. 

What other people name their children is their business though (even though I did cringe at 'Spurgeon' and I tend to think Joy-Anna and Johanna are too similar for my tastes -- where's the creativity?)...

14 hours ago, adidas said:

My phone often autocorrects in a really ridiculous way. In fact, just in that previous sentence it decided to write phongosh instead of phone. What the heck is a phongosh?

I have a friend who texts me.We share a common classic first name.We both spell it the same.She was frustrated..at the court house and used a four letter word.She kept spelling our name wrong.Then later she said she did not mean to offend me when she used the four letter words.I responded back that I was more offended by her not spelling our name right...then she tells me she has text speak.

1 hour ago, VineHeart137 said:

My guess was Duke, nickname Dukie, pronounced like Dookie.

Oh, that's amazing, as Chip & Joanna Gaines of Fixer Upper (NOT my favorite show!) named one son Duke. Given name, IIRC.

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Aw, yeah, like Veronica "Sister Pooh Bear" Nash, the short-time YouTube sensation who cautioned us not to go in the shark's  house! 

@singsingsing I'm not disagreeing with you. I sometimes enjoy a clever nickname that someone has come up with but I usually will not use it myself. I always think about how it must feel to have every tiny thing about yourself (general you) discussed and picked apart. 

But it does seem like posters on some threads forget we do snark, on everything from names to food they eat, to clothes and everything under the sun. 

4 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

With surnames as first names, I'll never understand parents who give their child a first name that's almost exactly (or is exactly) their last name. Like Chris Christe.  

Not as bad as England footballers Phil and Gary Neville's dad being called Neville Neville. 

@Nikedagain?,  I have a cousin whose nickname as a toddler was Poopie or sometimes Poopie Lou.  Apparently she was difficult to potty train.  She may have gotten married young, but she went back and got her college degree when she was over 40 and them went on to get her Master's in counseling.

5 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

That definitely fits, but I'm never going to get this picture out of my poor head:

Spoiler

enhanced-1596-1454599096-1.jpg.2f7114ca638dbf8f822fe5cfec9c04a0.jpg

9 hours ago, calimojo said:

Ok, so this is probably more a product of my age than anything else, but here is what I think.  When you dye your hair purple,  and then people look at you funny because your hair is purple, I don't want to hear you complain.  In other words, you know going into it , that purple hair is going to attract attention, so if you don't want the attention don't dye your hair purple.

If someone picks a really unique or odd name then on some level you know that people will probably react to it.  So, just plan on it, and find a way to cope with it when it happens.

I'm in America. My supervisor is an American born man of Indian descent. His name is Atul, pronounced "Ah-tool". It is a proper Indian name. He was often made fun of while growing up in his mostly white area. 

I've worked with him for so long I don't notice it until I mention his name to friends- they think I'm calling my supervisor a tool!

Is this purple hair dye? Should his parents denied where they came from and given him a white Christian name? For them, it is a normal color. It is only purple through one (dominant) lens. 

Who gets to decide what is purple and what is normal?

Trymon - where I live it's the second born generation who have English names followed by one from the ancestors homeland.

Atul and his wife eg:   Richard Atul Kumar

Hugely common across ethnic groups, for decades.

10 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

@Chewing Gum Interesting. So let's say one of my sons is named Preston (not really, but similar). That's illegal? I find that so strange. Would you be so glad if it was illegal to use smushed trendy names?

I am not ChewingGum but I am Dutch as well. If you're son would be born in the Netherlands and you would want to name him you are not allowed to give him a surname as a first name UNLESS you have prove it is done before.

This means that surnames that have traditionally been used as first names in the past would be fine.

So in your case, Preston would be  approved since it is commonly used as first name (not neccesairly here in the Netherlands but I still believe it would be approved). 

On the other hand, Spurgeon would not be approved. Until at some point an official approves by accident, then afterwards everyone can use the name.

@CarrotCake Thank you for the info. I still don't agree, but it does make more sense knowing it's less rigid than I was imagining. So I guess my Preston-like name probably would have been approved, but maybe not my other. Although, I've actually never met another person with either of my boys' names, I assume they're out there. 

I've been exam supervising today, which includes checking two forms of ID when registering candidates. I'd  say 90% were non Anglo Saxon names, which I have got a lot better at pronouncing since starting this job. But four  people had no surnames, only two first names.  I think they were maybe Indonesian, I should have checked the front of their passports. 

It must be a constant hassle to have no surname.  Although not, presumably in their home country. 

13 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

It might not be a popular opinion, but I find it awful and so disrespectful when people are like "Spurgeon is an awful name so I will call him Elliot". I'd be so pissed if someone said that about my child's name. 

Calling someone a name they are not called or did not choose to be called just because you don't like it/can't bother to learn how to  pronounce it gives me so many shades of "your name is TOBY."

I think Spurgeon is a pretty bad name, but that's his name, and if he chooses to be called that, that is what he ought to be called.

I agree, @nastyhobbitses.  

When my eldest brother was born, my grandfather didn't like his name, so called him his middle name for the first couple of years. Didn't go down well with my parents. And this was a man who badly misspelt his own daughters name until she was 12 (my mother lived with her grandparents from age 3 when her mum died to age 12 when she moved in with him and his second wife).  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived