IGNORED

Zach & Whitney 9: What about that Pregnancy Shoot?

Coconut Flan

Whitney and Zach are going to a Tim McGraw concert. I wonder if they know him and his wife are loyal Democrats?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6

She says his songs have been throughout their relationship...

All I can think about is Red Rag Top. Do they even know what that song is about?!

Lyrics for those non-country fans.. 

Well, the very first time her mother met me
Her green-eyed girl had been a mother-to-be for two weeks
I was out of a job and she was in school
And life was fast and the world was cruel
We were young and wild
We decided not to have a child
So we did what we did and we tried to forget
And we swore up and down there would be no regrets in the morning light

Edited by gobucks
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 3

Zach's cooking videos are killing me. The lack of technique, mispronunciation of ingredients, etc. are too much. Good for him for knowing how to boil water and fix a meal, but I don't want to "learn" from him.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Zach's cooking videos are killing me. The lack of technique, mispronunciation of ingredients, etc. are too much. Good for him for knowing how to boil water and fix a meal, but I don't want to "learn" from him.

What type of meals does he cook? 

• Upvote 3

At least Zach cooks, I guess? I bet most of the husbands don't, unless it's testosterone-laden grilling in warm weather where they brag about the cut of their meat.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, 0 kids n not countin said:

Homemade pasta, chicken Alfredo, lemon basil chicken, Kelly Jo came on for an episode about her grandma's famous chicken salad. Carlin posted a pic of steak and creme brûlée that I am guessing is going to be the Mother's Day episode. I know from Carlin's YouTube that Zach taught Evan to make the hibachi style dinner at home. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, gobucks said:

Homemade pasta, chicken Alfredo, lemon basil chicken, Kelly Jo came on for an episode about her grandma's famous chicken salad. Carlin posted a pic of steak and creme brûlée that I am guessing is going to be the Mother's Day episode. I know from Carlin's YouTube that Zach taught Evan to make the hibachi style dinner at home. 

That doesn't guarantee that Evan can replicate it. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, 0 kids n not countin said:

This week was a lemon basil chicken that he kept referring to as a meal. There were no side dishes, etc. He made a quesadilla and referred to homemade pico de gallo. Then he didn't show how he made the pico. The editing is horrendous. He was standing in front of a window for his opening and the time of day behind him kept changing back and forth. He used a dry measuring cup for liquid, claiming he didn't want to look for the liquid measurer only for it to appear for the next ingredient. He sounds really condescending when he is talking. During the first one where he was making chicken alfredo, he kept talking about how he didn't have to cook the pasta long because it was homemade. Any reference to the pasta went on and on about it being homemade. He released a separate video on how he makes pasta. 

He can barely pronounce some of the ingredients. He spent 90 seconds plus musing over whether it is a red onion or a purple onion. During this week's lemon basil chicken, he cracked the eggs and then added a few things like salt and pepper. He never bothered to wash his hand before he rubbed them together over the raw egg mixture. 

The video with Kelly Jo was a joke. It had to be a joke. She kept going on about Duke's mayo and calling his ingredients fancy. She told him he could add pecans or grapes to the chicken salad, but not too many things. Then she started telling him how it would be good with canned mandarin oranges. She referred to a tomato and lettuce with chicken salad as fancy.  

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 2
  • Thank You 5

Slice of Bologna with instant mashed potatoes Mama KJ thinks anything is fancy that has even a single whole food ingredient in it. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I haven’t been able to make it through more than a couple of minutes of any of his cooking videos, for the very reasons you mention. It sounds like I should make more of an effort, if only for snark value. What I’ve managed to see is - not good. I’ll give him props for liking to cook, wanting to share his love with the Bates fanbase, and selecting meals that are relatively simple and suitable for a family of hungry kids. However, he needs to watch some of the many other cooking vloggers to improve his presentation and technique. 

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, gobucks said:

Slice of Bologna with instant mashed potatoes Mama KJ thinks anything is fancy that has even a single whole food ingredient in it. 

And in all seriousness, considering what kind of food Zach grew up on, he is doing a pretty decent job! Decent enough to be a cooking vlogger and teach others how to cook? Probably not. But I do give him credit for making actual food and feeding his children better than he was fed! I imagine it’s pretty hard to break the eating habits you grew up with.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

I'm in no way saying he's a bad cook. He clearly enjoys cooking and has knocked down the stereotype that it is women's work. Good for Whitney.

I just have an issue with this whole build up that he's going to have his own cooking vlog only for it to be so pathetically produced. The Bates (and others) have this whole thing of liking something means you should be teaching the masses. In now way is he an expert or even a good teacher. 

• Upvote 4

On 4/27/2024 at 11:04 PM, gobucks said:

Homemade pasta, chicken Alfredo...

He's actually making pasta from scratch? Like from flour, eggs, oil and salt??  I'm impressed! (he still isn't qualified to be a food blogger, though : ))

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

He's actually making pasta from scratch? Like from flour, eggs, oil and salt??  I'm impressed! (he still isn't qualified to be a food blogger, though : ))

My grandma taught me to make thick noodles for homemade chicken and noodles. They were so good. But a lot of work. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

On 4/28/2024 at 12:56 AM, rebeccawriter01 said:

This week was a lemon basil chicken that he kept referring to as a meal. There were no side dishes, etc. He made a quesadilla and referred to homemade pico de gallo. Then he didn't show how he made the pico. The editing is horrendous. He was standing in front of a window for his opening and the time of day behind him kept changing back and forth. He used a dry measuring cup for liquid, claiming he didn't want to look for the liquid measurer only for it to appear for the next ingredient. He sounds really condescending when he is talking. During the first one where he was making chicken alfredo, he kept talking about how he didn't have to cook the pasta long because it was homemade. Any reference to the pasta went on and on about it being homemade. He released a separate video on how he makes pasta. 

He can barely pronounce some of the ingredients. He spent 90 seconds plus musing over whether it is a red onion or a purple onion. During this week's lemon basil chicken, he cracked the eggs and then added a few things like salt and pepper. He never bothered to wash his hand before he rubbed them together over the raw egg mixture. 

The video with Kelly Jo was a joke. It had to be a joke. She kept going on about Duke's mayo and calling his ingredients fancy. She told him he could add pecans or grapes to the chicken salad, but not too many things. Then she started telling him how it would be good with canned mandarin oranges. She referred to a tomato and lettuce with chicken salad as fancy.  

Ok, y'all, just saying.  Chicken salad is a "thing" in Tennessee.  Every restaurant advertises theirs as the best.  Duke's mayo is a Southeastern thing but I still prefer Hellman's.  Lots of it.  So, in our house, chopped chicken, mayo, chopped red onion (not too much), chopped apples, toasted pecans, some celery salt and maybe a bit of Crazy Jane's seasoning.  That's our preferred chicken salad.  Served on toasted bread (I like Killer Dave's) with a nice side of Lay's Potato Chips.  So see, a full meal, haha!  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, FishOuttaWater said:

Ok, y'all, just saying.  Chicken salad is a "thing" in Tennessee.  Every restaurant advertises theirs as the best.  Duke's mayo is a Southeastern thing but I still prefer Hellman's.  Lots of it.  So, in our house, chopped chicken, mayo, chopped red onion (not too much), chopped apples, toasted pecans, some celery salt and maybe a bit of Crazy Jane's seasoning.  That's our preferred chicken salad.  Served on toasted bread (I like Killer Dave's) with a nice side of Lay's Potato Chips.  So see, a full meal, haha!  

It wasn't the chicken salad he was calling a full meal. I make chicken salad all the time and love it. It looked bland as hell when Kelly made it. 

This latest video showed him making chicken  with its lemon and basil sauce sauce. Great. But he put it on the plate and called it a meal. There were no veggies in sight. Nothing but chicken and some sauce (maybe a few sliced lemons in the pan). 

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

It is impressive. Too bad he didn't show that (just bragged about it) in the original video. He did a separate video about the pasta kind of as an after thought. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I mean, it’s a lot of work and takes time (especially cleaning up the mess afterwards), but making pasta from scratch  isn’t actually that hard, if you use the proper equipment? We’ve had a pasta maker for years (there’s a Kitchen Aid attachment for that), and our kids could operate it at the age of seven with no problem. You just find a good recipe and that’s it.

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

I mean, it’s a lot of work and takes time (especially cleaning up the mess afterwards), but making pasta from scratch  isn’t actually that hard, if you use the proper equipment? We’ve had a pasta maker for years (there’s a Kitchen Aid attachment for that), and our kids could operate it at the age of seven with no problem. You just find a good recipe and that’s it.

I don’t have a pasta maker, but just had a (maybe crazy?) idea. Shouldn’t it be possible to make pasta using quilting equipment? Cutting mat, rotary cutter, long ruler… You won’t get any complex pasta shapes, but simple straight pasta should work, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/29/2024 at 5:42 PM, rebeccawriter01 said:

This latest video showed him making chicken  with its lemon and basil sauce sauce. Great. But he put it on the plate and called it a meal. There were no veggies in sight. Nothing but chicken and some sauce (maybe a few sliced lemons in the pan). 

I'm not trying to be a whiny know it all but the chicken and basil lemon dish had a huge bag of baby spinach in it. It just wilted down (as it does). 

• Upvote 2

Homemade pasta is easy to do. But takes a lot of time (,to do and to clean) I lost track,  but I think they have 5 kids. Homemade pasta for 7 people? I don't doubt Zach had done it a couple times, but I doubt it's a common recipe. 

It's great that Zach and Kelton cook. But if it was Whitney and Josie no ody would be praising them. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Homemade pasta is easy to do. But takes a lot of time (,to do and to clean) I lost track,  but I think they have 5 kids. Homemade pasta for 7 people? I don't doubt Zach had done it a couple times, but I doubt it's a common recipe. 

It's great that Zach and Kelton cook. But if it was Whitney and Josie no ody would be praising them. 

I give us fjs credit. We do praise Erin. Erin had the big storyline before her marriage of her being a shit cook and the Duggars making her the equivalent of a cook book for those who burn water recipes. Since then she has produced some really nice and nutritious meals and seems to really enjoy cooking. Alyssa got some credit in the early days too. I do think we fj (maybe not the general populace) would give the girls some credit and praise for trying what Zach is doing.

But yes I do get the general just you are getting at how something women do everyday gets no credit or something women do the most work for and men take the credit. 

My favourite example, men cook the bbq and get all the praise. Women shop for the meat, prepare the meat, deliver the meat, serve the meat, makes the sides, sets table, washes up and all the men do is cook and clean the bbq and they get all the glory.

Men “sweep up the crumbs” and that makes them the best husband ever. Sorry couldn’t resist that shot. lol 🤢 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Love 4