IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

10 minutes ago, xlurker said:

Just have to say I have spent so much time reading on FJ that seeing it spelled as  "Ginger" now looks very strange to me :jawdrop:

Same. But in my brain I still pronounce it as if it rhymes with ringer. One of the morning news show hosts pronounced it that way (ages ago) and it's been stuck in my head since then. 

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, HuggleMonster said:

My name is Sarah and you wouldn't believe how many variations on spelling I get. Even from my own granny. 

I have a Sarah relative and people sometimes spell it without the /h/ - Sara-  which to me is an entirely different name with a different pronunciation. 

17 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

Just a quick note on something that's been bothering me lately. I'm hoping it's unintentional or autocorrect, but I'm seeing some people write Ginger instead of Jinger. If it's intentional, I find it really disrespectful and rude. 

I will not correct the auto correct- I'm sorry, no, not really- I find it more disrespectful that her parents botched the spelling of the name to begin with-

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I will not correct the auto correct- I'm sorry, no, not really- I find it more disrespectful that her parents botched the spelling of the name to begin with-

I do just want to add,  It was another selfish  and vain act of her parents to intentionally pick a name that has never been spelled with J and change it just to suit their own stupid J name trend.  I think it is just another example of their arrogance. 

I hate it when parents give their kid a name but then spell it is some crazy way.  They are dooming that kid to forever have their name mis-pronounced and misspelled.  And it is a form of vanity on the parent's behalf to do this. 

8 minutes ago, calimojo said:

And it is a form of vanity on the parent's behalf to do this. 

Going OT but chuckling -- I did this with two of mine, not exactly "weird" spellings but reflecting ethnicity/nationality. And it turned out that both names were among my ancestors' names! I honestly hadn't known. 

I will say neither of the names lend to mispronunciation unless somebody just wants to be totally obtuse.

One more story. A friend named her girl Makayla instead of Michaela to prevent family from calling the girl Mickey or Mikey. And so family call her...Mack. :my_biggrin:

There are many names that have variations in spelling.  My daughter's name can have an 'e' at the end or not, and even her grandparents will spell it the wrong way at times.  And of course there are ethnic or cultural influences on how names are spelled and pronounced. 

Those are, in my opinion valid reasons for choosing how to spell a child's name.  But we know that wasn't the case with the Duggars.  They weren't honoring some cultural tradition they were being gimmicky and cutesy.  They probably already had a vision of the future with a huge family and all the J names and how that would get attention. 

Again it shows their disregard for individual identity of the child, and instead just adds to the uniform appearance of these "OfJimbob" offspring.  And yes, I know that lots of families do the same thing in naming their kids, but they generally don't sacrifice generally agreed upon spelling just to suit their name game.   

It might not be a popular opinion, but I find it awful and so disrespectful when people are like "Spurgeon is an awful name so I will call him Elliot". I'd be so pissed if someone said that about my child's name. 

@JemimaPuddle-Duck I do call him Spurgeon because that's his name as long as he's too young to potentially go by something else. But I'm also terrible for judging parents' name choices so I glare at my screen every time I see it and grit my teeth when I have to write it. 

But then I'm not a fan of the 'surnames as first names' trend all around so it was always going to rile me up a bit. I'm too judgey, it's a British tradition along with tutting at this point. 

There are times when I won't use a nickname for someone.  I have a nephew whose nickname is also commonly used as a synonym for feces.  So nope, Not going to use that one for him.  As his great aunt, I have that right. I call him by his legal first name.   Just like how my grandmother always called her grandchildren by their full names.  David was always David, never Dave.  William was always William.  Katherine was never Kathy.  I don't know why she did that, but she did.  She had a daughter named Margaret that she called Peggy, so she wasn't opposed to nick names all the time, but she just liked to call her grandkids  by the full name.  It was cute and I think it made all the grandkids feel special. 

@victoriasponge haha, I was not a fan of the name Spurgeon at first, but I admit it has grown on me. And my boys' names are surnames, though not strange. Well, I take that back....one did receive a few rude remarks from family ;-)

Ok, so this is probably more a product of my age than anything else, but here is what I think.  When you dye your hair purple,  and then people look at you funny because your hair is purple, I don't want to hear you complain.  In other words, you know going into it , that purple hair is going to attract attention, so if you don't want the attention don't dye your hair purple.

If someone picks a really unique or odd name then on some level you know that people will probably react to it.  So, just plan on it, and find a way to cope with it when it happens.

For the record, I like purple hair just fine, but it does get noticed and for the record, I think parents should name their children as they see fit (there may be some exceptions) as well.  

27 minutes ago, victoriasponge said:

@JemimaPuddle-Duck 

But then I'm not a fan of the 'surnames as first names' trend all around so it was always going to rile me up a bit. 

I'm so glad it's illegal to do so in the Netherlands. 

My daughter has a unique name (as in literally 1 born in 2015, none in 2016, and only a few between 2010-2014), but it's a smush of two slightly trendy Dutch names so no one really blinks an eye. I only had 1 person say something about her 'fantasy name'. We did take into account that the elderly in our family would have a problem remembering it. They got it. 

22 hours ago, calimojo said:

I think it is an accident, but if people do it on purpose it is meant as more of a dig at JB and M for their ridiculous J name thing and not a dig at Jinger. 

And it is no different that when people call Derick, Dwreck, or combine names like JinJer, DerJill, or the many  names we have for JB and M.   

Exactly. FJ is a SNARK site, people. This seems most ignored or forgotten in the Duggar forum.

16 minutes ago, Kailash said:

Exactly. FJ is a SNARK site, people. This seems most ignored or forgotten in the Duggar forum.

SNARK doesn't = 'be as rude, condescending, and judgmental as possible.' And FJ isn't just a snark site, if you read the forum description you'll notice that it exists to discuss the damage caused by fundamentalism. We also have a long and proud history of thread drift and off topic discussions.

The Duggars are not the only people who give their kids names that others deem 'weird'. I don't like Jinger's name either, or Spurgeon's, but those are their names. Jinger in particular is an adult woman who chooses to go by her name. Whether any of us like it or think it's silly or think Jim Bob and Michelle were wrong for calling her that is irrelevant. Refusing to call someone by the name they go by because you think it's not good enough is the height of arrogance, not to mention demeaning and just plain rude. It also smacks of classism (i.e. they were too 'dumb' or 'low class' or 'ignorant' to spell her name right, and therefore I've taken it upon myself to 'correct' it. Who gives you that authority?)

@calimojo  I totally understand what you're saying. I take issue with refusing to call someone by their actual name just because you don't like it. 

@Chewing Gum Interesting. So let's say one of my sons is named Preston (not really, but similar). That's illegal? I find that so strange. Would you be so glad if it was illegal to use smushed trendy names?

@singsingsing You said it so much better. 

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Refusing to call someone by the name they go by because you think it's not good enough is the height of arrogance, not to mention demeaning and just plain rude. It also smacks of classism (i.e. they were too 'dumb' or 'low class' or 'ignorant' to spell her name right, and therefore I've taken it upon myself to 'correct' it. Who gives you that authority?)

This is exactly it. There are so many things to criticize these people for, but at the very least call them by the name they choose to go by. It doesn't matter if you personally like it or not. 

@JemimaPuddle-Duck thinking about it now (I hadn't actually thought about why I disliked them before) I assume it's because it sounds quite 'american' to me and I'm not a fan of American sounding first names all round. God I sound terrible. I'm sure they're lovely names though, just not what I pick - and people certainly shouldn't tell you they don't like them! That's just weird to me. 

@Chewing Gum I didn't know there were still European countries with naming laws like that. Interesting. I would rather my kids don't have as common a name as I do but also don't want to make a name up or combine names so I might be left in a sticky situation come baby time. I might just stick with dogs... I'll make all the FJ kids in the Sims and they can all be friends, child rearing done. 

With surnames as first names, I'll never understand parents who give their child a first name that's almost exactly (or is exactly) their last name. Like Chris Christe.  

2 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

With surnames as first names, I'll never understand parents who give their child a first name that's almost exactly (or is exactly) their last name. Like Chris Christe.  

My family had four generations+ of Irishname Fitzirishname. My father's generation broke that darn family tradition.

2 hours ago, calimojo said:

There are times when I won't use a nickname for someone.  I have a nephew whose nickname is also commonly used as a synonym for feces.  So nope, Not going to use that one for him.  As his great aunt, I have that right. I call him by his legal first name.   Just like how my grandmother always called her grandchildren by their full names.  David was always David, never Dave.  William was always William.  Katherine was never Kathy.  I don't know why she did that, but she did.  She had a daughter named Margaret that she called Peggy, so she wasn't opposed to nick names all the time, but she just liked to call her grandkids  by the full name.  It was cute and I think it made all the grandkids feel special. 

I can't help it.

meangirls.jpg

19 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Me either, because it's a pain in the ass enough to have a surname that sounds like a first name. If I had a quarter for all the times I've been asked for my surname, after I've given it to them, I'd be quite wealthy. (Thank 1800 immigration officials for changing the surname).

28 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Or Neville Neville, cricketer and the father of footballers Phil and Gary. 

30 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Ralph Nader's dad came over from the Middle East with one name (Nader), as was the custom. He needed two names to enter the US, so he became Nadra Nader. That or something like it apparently happens a lot.

Why do I remember that, but not where I left my good bifocals?

24 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

have a nephew whose nickname is also commonly used as a synonym for feces.  So nope, Not going to use that one for him

I'm sorry to ask - I have no imagination today - what is his nick? Closest I can come up with is "Chip," as in buffalo chip. 

Can't be turd, dump, poop, sh*t, road apple, scat, doody....... ?

53 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Maybe his parents didn't think he'd be smart enough to remember more than one name. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived