IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

12 hours ago, Karma said:

Its a hassle, but I reckon it's worth it if you really dislike your name.

I was named for both of my grandmothers (first and middle).  I loved them both deeply, but they both had absolutely awful names.  For my whole life, I was actually embarrassed to tell people what I was named.  And was often, and detrimentally, pre-judged by people due to my name before they'd even met me.  I finally got sick of it around 40, and legally changed my first and middle names.  I couldn't decide on a new name though, so my husband chose one that is beautiful and fits me.  It is still a novelty to me to not be ashamed of my name.  It's worth it.  Every penny.  Every piece of paper.  It's worth it.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People call me Carmen all the time, I introduce myself as Carm and they straight away say "So short for Carmen?" My answer is always "No." I told you what to call me, you don't need to know my full name.

I am Jac. Not Jackie. Not Jaclyn. Jac. Always have been. Always will be. Please do not say "Short for Jaclyn?" Because, no, it is not.

So I feel your pain.

On the flip side, my name has a sort of cutesy nickname. My family often calls me by the nickname and my friends in grade school did as well. It was basically interchangeable with my given name. I went to a different high school than most of my friends, so the majority of people there knew me by my given name and never called me by the nickname. Except for this one guy.

For some reason he got it into his head that it would drive me crazy if he called me by the nickname. He'd come up to me and say, "Hey... Jessie.*"

And I'd say, "Hi, how's it going?"

He'd laugh and smirk and continue to call me Jessie like it was this hilarious joke, even though I never reacted negatively. Finally I told him, "Hey, you know, my whole family calls me Jessie. All my old friends call me Jessie. I'm totally okay with being called Jessie."

HE STILL DIDN'T GET IT. He kept at it. I quit explaining it to him and just let him think he was bothering me. To this day it still boggles my mind, though.

*Not my actual nickname

I went to school with a ton of Christine and Christina probably 7 or 8 in my class. The middle and high school I went to had 4 towns going to 1 school. None of the Christine or Christina's were from my town. One girl who was a Christina insistent on being called CJ and got mad when a teacher called her Christina. She still goes by CJ but I think her family still calls her Christina. 

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

HE STILL DIDN'T GET IT. He kept at it. I quit explaining it to him and just let him think he was bothering me. To this day it still boggles my mind, though.

You can't fix stupid. 

6 hours ago, karen77 said:

I know a Bailee that got married to a guy with the last name Bailey, she changed her name to Bailee Bailey. At least it was her own choosing though.

This reminds me a bit of one of my teachers in middle school!  Her first name is Erin and she married a guy whose name is Aaron.  They had a child and gave him Aaron as a middle name.

As for "weird" vs. "normal" names, all I really have to add is an anecdote about my own name.  My name is "normal" but not super popular and there are a few different widely-accepted spellings for it.  However, I was given a spelling that leads people to mispronounce my name a lot of the time, but it also means that I get to share a name with a really cool fictional character.  While I can never keychains with my name on them and I've pretty much stopped correcting people who mispronounce my name, I am overall really happy with it, spelling and all!

Ugh..."leader"/follower as a descriptor of a way you enjoy being in relation to your spouse. I already know this about the Duggar marriages but it always jars me when casually thrown in with a gushy post using words like companion and best friend. Yuck.

In light of the conversation on this thread about the spelling of Jinger's name, and a couple comments from the previous one on the birthday cake picture, I find myself questioning why the Duggars *themselves* would have spelled Jinger's name with a G on a homemade birthday cake. It's *possible* that it's just a super fancy J, but it doesn't look like one. It looks like a cursive G.

Even for the Duggars I have a hard time imagining they could have been oblivious to how they spelled the word on the cake, since they must have had to write Jinger's name out frequently and correct people numerous times by then. The "one" candle says it's a first birthday cake, at which point I think Jinger was still the baby of the family. Is it possible that it once was Ginger and they later changed it? Either way, as previous posters pointed out, a cake that appears to be spelled Ginger is still very odd.

Jinger Birthday Cake.PNG

My first name is Caroline. Not Carolyn. CaroLINE. I hate it with a passion, but it is what it is. So, dammit, if you're a native English speaker, and you see C A R O L I N E say it correctly dammit! I'm not Carolyn, Caroleen or anything else. It's CAROLINE. You'd be amazed how many people can fuck it up. I can see screwing up my maiden name, long, German and spelled sort of unphonetically (in English anyway) but my FIRST NAME? Jesus...

anyway, I'm on a rant after arguing with some dumb shits on a NASA/Space page. They have their shorts in a knot b/c I said one of the Mercury 7 was basically a fuck up and deserved to be grounded after his one and only flight. 

@feministxtian one of my Wolfie's is too. Named for the paternal great- grandmother who passed away just a week before we found out I was pregnant with her. And with a funky spelled Polish last name, hers often gets butchered twice. I'm actually glad she has a traditional name with all the crazy ones I hear coming out of her and my son's school. 

@Shadoewolf I'm named for my maternal grandmother, my mom's sister, my paternal grandmother (and maybe a great grand or 2 in there) for my first and middle names. My cousins on my dad's side got generic "All-American" names. But, that's a whole 'nother story. 

7 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Opposite. I prefer to use my full name - all three syllables. I introduce myself, and they immediately shorten it. No. Just don't.

Same thing happens to me. It has me wondering if I'm not pronouncing all the syllables enough or if I'm mumbling.

I want to jump on this name wagon. I gave my daughter a last name as a first name.  It worked because it was a scotch last name that went out with the German last name we rock out. She is a McKenna.  She is named for someone, but the thing I am getting at, is that we've never called her anything but her nick names, which is why she gets royally pissed if someone uses her name outside of school. At home she is Mac or Bean and nothing else. Her friends know this rule.  Our extended family knows this rule, and everyone sticks to it, because she is scary when she's mad.  I personally love her full name. Her middle name is also a Scotch last name, but together they are beautiful and I am sure when she is older she is going to be tired of her nick names, but till then, Mac Bean it is.

@metheglyn, I wonder if they had the cake made by someone else (like at the grocery store or something.) I suppose it's unlikely since that costs money...and it looks homemade. But maybe they said "can you write Happy Birthday Jinger on it?" and of course a normal non-Duggar person would assume that's spelled Ginger, but a Duggar wouldn't think to specify that it's with a J, because, you know, every name starts with J in Duggarland. 

Or maybe you're right, and they originally thought Ginger fit their theme since it's alliterative, even though it doesn't technically begin with J, but then decided they didn't want her to feel left out or something. We need a sleuth on this ASAP!! 

As for the chocolate mess pic... I totally thought that was an FJ-ism. Is that what it's actually called? And Jill. What a shameless grifter. These people have no shame, do they?? I can't snark on the "grateful admirer" part, though, because in a sense I can relate. We're as far from fundie as you can get, but my husband and his family rescued me from a dysfunctional, broken, abusive home. 20 years later I'm still grateful every day for what they gave me then, and all that he gives me now. I look at my family of origin in disbelief and relief that I somehow dodged that bullet. So, I get it. Less than a year out from under the Boob's thumb, I'm sure she feels like she's in a fairy tale every day thanks to her handsome Calvinist prince! ;)

My daughter is named Amelia, but we call her Molly. She doesn't even know her name is Amelia. We've told her, but she's little and it hasn't registered yet. When she is older, if she wants to go by Amelia then cool!

If I was a boy my parents were goi g to name me Stony Arrow. I shit you not.

My name is slightly unique, but I love it and I'm so happy to always be the only one. I've met a couple name sharers, both older ladies. And a lady i met from  Germany once told me that my name is fairly common there, though I dont know if thats true. Oddly, the two other names my mom wanted were Nancy and Barbara, which are so far removed from my name that it makes me laugh. And one of them would have gone terribly with my married name. 

If I had been a boy I'd be Heath after Heath Barclay.

Seriously though, up until she started school last year, Mac thought her name was Mac and that we just called her Bean. Imagine her shock when I told her she would be going by McKenna in her school setting.  My mom, who is a nick name hater, was like, I told you so. Smh.

10 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Opposite. I prefer to use my full name - all three syllables. I introduce myself, and they immediately shorten it. No. Just don't.

DD is 5 and goes by her full name (also three syllables). People constantly ask if she goes by a shorter name. Even after DD tells them her name.

The best was a friend of my MIL who could not get it through her head that we didn't use a nickname. She kept calling daughter by the nickname. Unsurprisingly, daughter never responded. At some point, daughter asks "who is nickname because I am full name." I hid my laughter. And was proud of daughter for standing up for herself. 

I have a name that is almost impossible to make a good nickname from. It is short and easy to say (if you are Swedish, English-speakers tend to butcher it or believe it is an Irish name that is spelled with R where I have L) so it doesn't matter but there were times as a kid where I actively tried to come up with a nickname that would work but failed. The good thing is that it also doesn't really rhyme with anything that is an actual word so I get people who call you name+thing that rhymes with your name because I hate that. 

@Karma Someone at an old job nearly called their daughter Isla.  Lovely name, but with the surname White?  Isle of Wight.  They changed their minds pretty quickly when it was pointed out.

2 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

DD is 5 and goes by her full name (also three syllables). People constantly ask if she goes by a shorter name. Even after DD tells them her name.

The best was a friend of my MIL who could not get it through her head that we didn't use a nickname. She kept calling daughter by the nickname. Unsurprisingly, daughter never responded. At some point, daughter asks "who is nickname because I am full name." I hid my laughter. And was proud of daughter for standing up for herself. 

I hope my daughter is the same when she's old enough! She has a four syllabes name, and goes by that. When she was born one of our oldest asked if we'll call her firstpart or lastpart? Uh Nope, full name. If I wanted firstpart or lastpart to be her name I would've named her that. Duh. 

Now she does have an incredible cute nickname but that's for indoor family use only. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived