IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

11 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

They could have called her Isola at least it is a true italian name, but so old fashioned that I've never met a living one. Isolina, its diminutive, was quite popular till the mid century.

Being the name nerd that I am, I have to ask: Is the name Isola actually etymologically related to the Italian word for island or is it related to the name Isolda?

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was registered with a first name and middle name.  Quite normal ones.  Then my parents added a middle name, hyphenated to the original one.  Think Betty-Jane or the like.  I was called "Betty" by family and friends until I was about 10 when I announced I'd prefer to be called by my first name.  Luckily I'd always been called by my first name at school.  Over the years I grew to really dislike my hyphenated middle name, and had a midlife crisis at 40 and formally deleted it.  

Its a hassle, but I reckon it's worth it if you really dislike your name.

31 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Being the name nerd that I am, I have to ask: Is the name Isola actually etymologically related to the Italian word for island or is it related to the name Isolda?

Both explanations seem to be accepted cause apparently none knows for sure. Personally I think the derivation from the name isola (island) is more probable because more obvious, if you are italian and call your daughter Isola it's improbable you mean Isolda, the pronunciation is too different. There are many other derivatives of Isolda, like Isolde, Isotta, Iseult, Isetta, Iselda, Isilde etc.

First year of teaching, I had a girl named Elizabeth Christina who went by Katie. There is a kid on a school I sub in listed as Charles. D on class lists and called Carson. I assume it will be a hassle later for him and has long since been one for the girl.

7 hours ago, Bethella said:

My aunt went through this on the first day of kindergarten. She's a twin- I've changed the names for privacy but similar to Anna Jamie and her twin is Amy Jane, but they go by Amy and Jamie. Jamie never knew that Jamie wasn't her real name, so she didn't respond when they kept calling for Anna. She got into an argument with the teacher about it. They had to call my grandmother down to the school to straighten it out. When she turned 18 she legally changed her name to A. Jamie Smith.

When I first started school, during role call my teacher called out my name and then said "Are you sure that's your name"? I was obviously confused and answered "Yes?".  

So in my foreign language class at Uni we weren't allowed to speak English and all used the Russian variations of our name, pretty standard. Mine stuck by how great it sounded yelled so a lot of people from college still call me it. This brings us to the curious case of Yevgeniy, who I assumed was just actually named Eugene. Ran into him in an airport years later, introduced him to my friend then was promptly mortified.

His actual name was James and he was still annoyed about the Eugene thing. It was also super weird talking to him in English and finding out he had a really strong Midwestern accent.

This probably doesn't count with all the intel that's out there daily, but my dad's given name was Arnold Bertram Charles Junebug. 

Hus whole life, he went by Bertram A. Junebug. When he passed away we steeled ourselves for a mighty wind of problems, given his ...alias ... and encountered exactly none! 

But I'm pretty sure that had everything to do with him living entirely within the 20th century. 

I have a fairly common name with the 'traditional' spelling, but an alternate spelling has been more common in North America for decades now, so people almost always automatically spell it wrong. Sometimes it leads to hassles with my name being spelled wrong on forms, documentation, etc.

I don't care. It's my name. I like the way it's spelled. I don't mind if people spell it wrong accidentally - totally understandable! I get annoyed when they've known me for a while, or have my name right in front of them, and still just can't be bothered to spell it right. That to me is inconsiderate. If someone just decided that they thought my spelling was 'wrong' and they were going to spell it the more common way? Uh, no. Sorry, but you don't get to make that decision. It's my name. Spell it the way I spell it. It's not up for debate.

I do think people tend to overestimate how terrible having a 'weird' name is for a child. I know there are a few studies (and a hell of a lot more anecdata) on the subject, but there tend to be a lot of other factors that go into success in life before you get to given name. A guy named Barack Hussein Obama was elected President twice. Lots of women with 'cutesy' names that supposedly won't allow them to be taken seriously are very high-ranking professionals and politicians. Do I personally think it's better to name your kid Elizabeth Anne than McKaelynne Breckynzli? Yeah. But I don't think McKaelynne is doomed because of her name, and I sure as hell am not going to look at her and say, "McKaelynne? That's ridiculous! I'm going to call you Michaela Lynn."

I've known so many people with weird names, names with uncommon spellings, people who changed their name at some point in the life, people who went by their middle name... It's really not a big deal unless someone makes it a big deal. "Nice to meet you, you must be Sarah!" "Actually, I go by my middle name, Christine." "Oh, okay! Nice to meet you, Christine." And the world keeps on turning.

My daughter has an odd(ish) name it isn't unheard of but uncommon, and I spelled differently because I didn't want it shortened.  People mispronounce it a lot, she gets much more annoyed than I do. I love her name I love the spelling of it, so I deal with it.

My friend has a daughter and she gave her a boys name, and spelled it with an I instead of a y. When you put the I in place of the y it is the spelling of a mechanical tool. She gets mad when people call her a boy and mispronounce her daughters name.  Well, don't give your little girl a traditionally boys name and then don't change the spelling so that it looks like a different word, and if you do don't get bent out of shape when people get it wrong.

I can't engage in a thread about daft names without posting this link (FYI whoever makes up the questions always makes up silly answers to make the host laugh)

Jinger just uploaded this video to the Duggar family channel.... i wonder why she decided to sent a video instead of posting something on instagram

what a pathetic video...mine would be something like "hey babe...happy birthday....and tonight I'm gonna bang your everloving brains out to celebrate! Love you!!!"

14 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

i wonder why she decided to sent a video instead of posting something on instagram

Duggars need hits on their Youtube channel to show TLC they're still relevant... lol

I've always thought the public videos are a contract mandate.  I can't think of any other reason you might post a video wishing a spouse/family member a happy birthday (or congrats on your 17th kid), instead of just you know, speaking to them personally.

I hope future videos are better. This sounds like a Jim Bob and Michelle birthday video. I'd rather see something real, like "I love how you rub my feet when we're reading on the couch" or "I love the way you always leave me the last Oreo in the package" or "I love the way you surprise me with a cup of my favorite coffee when you have a break between appointments" or "I love the way you suggest I try on a piece of clothing I wouldn't choose, then it looks amazing on me" or something like that.

Is it really someone's birthday/major life event in the duggar family if it's not posted online?

Also can someone please by these people a thesaurus? Heart for the Lord needs to retire.

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I have a fairly common name with the 'traditional' spelling, but an alternate spelling has been more common in North America for decades now, so people almost always automatically spell it wrong. Sometimes it leads to hassles with my name being spelled wrong on forms, documentation, etc. I don't care. It's my name. I like the way it's spelled. I don't mind if people spell it wrong accidentally - totally understandable.

This is my life too. But I will tell you it has caused me a problem when it came to medical records and PHI.  It got somewhat ugly and took a bit of work to undo. So beware, something as simple as a misspelled first name, can cause big issues.

15 hours ago, Karma said:

Family near me have twin daughters, one Siena*, the other Isla.  The mum was telling me that she and her husband love Italy, and wanted both girls to have an Italian place name.  So Isla's middle name is Capri.  Isla Capri.  Haha

If our second had been twin girls, that would have been our names too! (and with one "n", for the city)

I know a Bailee that got married to a guy with the last name Bailey, she changed her name to Bailee Bailey. At least it was her own choosing though.

People call me Carmen all the time, I introduce myself as Carm and they straight away say "So short for Carmen?" My answer is always "No." I told you what to call me, you don't need to know my full name.

Oops @karen77 I'll take my foot out of my mouth!  Siena and Isla I like, but Isla Capri is too similar to isle of Capri for my taste.  

They probably think my kids names are hideously old fashioned ;) .

33 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

People call me Carmen all the time, I introduce myself as Carm and they straight away say "So short for Carmen?" My answer is always "No." I told you what to call me, you don't need to know my full name.

Opposite. I prefer to use my full name - all three syllables. I introduce myself, and they immediately shorten it. No. Just don't.

3 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Jinger's slouchy pink hat is cute. I found myself imagining that it's a pussyhat.

If only it were a pussyhat!

34 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Opposite. I prefer to use my full name - all three syllables. I introduce myself, and they immediately shorten it. No. Just don't.

I can't imagine doing that to anyone. If you tell me your name is Kim, I'll call you Kim. I'd never start calling you Kimberly or Kimmy because that's not the name you told me. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived