IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, Jana814 said:

@JesSky03 I have a dog client who's son is named Skylar. 

My favorite foster kitten from last spring (she was the runt and always wanted to be held. I turned a hoody around and carried her all the time <3) was named Skyler. When her forever family adopted her they kept her name but spelled it Schuyler. You gotta respect an 8 year old who loves kittens and Hamilton, right??

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was for some reason introduced as my full name on some occasion, which is odd, I immediately said "But everyone calls me Carm." The person immediately said "But why your name is so beautiful, I would go by that." I really didn't know what to say. 

6 hours ago, cascarones said:

Isn't McKenna the made up fancy scotch on How I Met Your Mother

I've never watched it, but it should be. Lmao

Yeah I wouldn't consider my name tryndy. A lady I work with now has a brother named Skyler and she's in her 50's so its been around a while. I still meet people who have never heard of my name before I introduced myself. And, I could care less what it means- I'm not sentimental or whatever about that kind of stuff. Apparently the idea came to my mom in a dream! Anyway, my sister has it just as bad if not worse. She has an uncommon but not unusual name but I have never met anyone else who spells it the way my parents did. I would spell it out for you all but then I would probably really be giving away my identity. 

My name is Elizabeth, and I was named after both my grandmothers. Unfortunately, I was born around the coronation of QEII in 1953 - there were at least another 8 or 9 with the same name in every class.

I was always known as Liz (apart from as a toddler, when my rendition of my name was Boofy) and when I changed school at age 8, there was already a Liz in the class. Thus began three horrible years of being called Betty - there were already Liz, Lisa, Beth, Lizzie, Betsy, Liza, Eliza, Elise and the full name of Elizabeth in the class.

I've never forgiven them. And anyone who calls me anything but Liz is dead.

(Except my mum. She called me Lillabet, or just Lilla.)

7 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

A former co-worker of mine named her daughter Renesmee.  Ai yi yi.

Ah, the fandoms. I saw a little girl in the ER once called Renesmee, if I recall correctly her birthday was the year after the last Twilight movie came out.

Last year I took the toddlers I babysat to the children's museum, and they befriended two other toddler siblings called Cedric and Rowena :D #HarryPotter4Lyfe 

Haven't met any GoT namesakes yet, but I'm at some point I will haha....

I named my second child the nickname form of a traditional name--(think Tommy for Thomas).  He is 15 now, and I still love to say it!  Funny, though, I sometimes use the standard name as a nickname.

9 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@SadieJane - Scotch is a drink; Scottish is a nationality. :)  (I was called out on that ages ago - not here - but thought I'd pass along what little wisdom I now possess.) McKenna is a beautiful name.

GryffindorDisappointment has a three-syllable name, but we called her the very common nickname for it, and sometimes I shorten that even further to a single syllable, two-word nickname, But she LOVES her full name and uses it on FB and for certain social/career circles. Her name passed the "cheerleader/president test" - it works for a high school cheerleader, and also for POTUS, should she decide to run.

Yeah, when I was reading that post I was thinking....so her name is Jameson? haha! Although I think that is actually Irish Whiskey, but I digress.

I usually say Scots for the nationality, personally.

4 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

Ah, the fandoms. I saw a little girl in the ER once called Renesmee, if I recall correctly her birthday was the year after the last Twilight movie came out.

Last year I took the toddlers I babysat to the children's museum, and they befriended two other toddler siblings called Cedric and Rowena :D #HarryPotter4Lyfe 

Haven't met any GoT namesakes yet, but I'm at some point I will haha....

we have a girl on my daughter's soccer team that is an Arya (GOT), but not from the show, books only, since she's 9.

To the British FJers---I've been wondering about the term "Christian name." I hear that used for what we 'Muricans would just call "first name."  I hear it all the time on British TV, but what if the person is Jewish, or Muslim, etc?  When someone asks them their Christian name, isn't that kind of weird?  Or is that term not used IRL, only on TV? 

Anyway, these are the things that keep me up at night.

Not a true Brit, but my Mum was raised there. She uses Christian name and if someone isn't Christian just says given name. It all relates back to christening babies or announcing them as named to the community, but I'm super curious to the answer!

Whenever I read Jane Austen I think they should always give the first daughter a crazy name, since she'll never go by it in public. She'll be Miss Bennet, while after you get Miss Elizabeth, Miss Mary, etc until she's a Mrs.

9 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

To the British FJers---I've been wondering about the term "Christian name."

In my experience it used to be used much more, it was pretty standard when I was younger (70s/80s) but not as much now, as well as being increasingly multi cultural  I don't think as many people would identify as Christian by default as once would have.  Official documents and forms now request/refer to either first name or forename.

My name and my brother's are unusual. Not totally out there, but not one-of-three-Sophies-in-a-class type popular. My granddad was one of SEVEN boys in his class at school with his name. Mine's also very popular in Germany. It's got a British pronunciation and a European one, after eleven years of learning German I'm used to both. It has a different pronunciation again in the US, although I guess that depends on accent. 

(Claudia btw)

Christian name isn't used much. Mostly it's first name, or sometimes "forename" on forms, probably because it's a direct opposite to surname. 

42 minutes ago, cascarones said:

We've got Dean on our boy names list, not really because of HP, but it does carry both a person and place significance to the franchise.

Dean is SUPER popular here right now. Because Dean Smith of course (GOAT)

Can I get a witness?

4 hours ago, feministxtian said:

The one that fell asleep got a Gemini ride. The one who screwed the pooch was the least qualified of the 7. 

**space and NASA geek. Some of my college instructors were retired NASA seeing as how I was an engineering/mechanical design major in Hampton VA. Cheap, well qualified faculty available!

?  How on Earth (pun intended) do you conclude Grissom was the least qualified?  He was a combat pilot with a hundred missions, a flight instructor, test pilot and had a bachelor's in aeromechanics.  He flew on both Mercury and Gemini and according to Deke Slayton was the odds on favorite to be the first man on the moon before he was killed.

It's not like any of them wasn't absurdly qualified, but I can't see why he'd be at the bottom.

When I said kids with out there names hated them, I was talking about names like Echo and Blue. Not actual names that are simply less common, FTR. 

I think that you can be unique without naming your kid Echo, Blue or Oktober Sky. When I was in high school, there were a plethora of girls named Jennifer, Amy or Stacy (5, 5, and 4 respectively in my senior class of 150--and I was one of those 14). The JV cheerleading squad our sophomore year was Stacy, Stacey, Jenni, Jenny, Amy, Amy and Suzanne. Suzanne's parents kind of won at a name that was not common (she was the only one in the school) but still not a name that would give her fits with spelling, pronunciation, etc... And kids I taught who wrote about their names for me over the years who were in that group usually liked their names the most. 

Grissom was NOT the least qualified. Carpenter was. His log book was thin (and so was Glenn's) compared to Grissom, Slayton, Shepherd, Cooper and Shirra. Carpenter kissed up to Glenn...Glenn kissed up to the big-wigs. 

For me, the rank would have been Cooper, Grissom, Slayton, Shepherd, Shirra and then Carpenter and Glenn. 

My first name isn't super common, but also not one of those 'lets see if we can stick a Y in there to make it unique' names either.  It's one of those names that can be spelled or pronounced a number of different ways...and mine happens to be an uncommon variant.  

No fridge magnets for me...

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Here you go:

Hide contents

- Evan (for Lily and Petunia Evans)

- Angelina

-Katie

- Alicia

- Any Weasley name

- James

- Harry

- Brian (hi Dumbledore!)

- Kendra

- Ariana

- Sybil

- Tom (shudder)

- Gregory

- Vincent

- Oliver

- Alice

- Frank

- Amelia

- Susan

- Emmeline

- Amos

- Arabella

- Dean

- Colin

- Dennis

- Seamus

- Dirk

- Helena

- Marjorie

- Lavender

- Nicolas

- Rita

- Poppy

- Zacharias

- Viktor

Or you could bring the name Myrtle back into popularity.  Already has the tryndy Y built right in!

22 minutes ago, guitar_villain said:

?  How on Earth (pun intended) do you conclude Grissom was the least qualified?  He was a combat pilot with a hundred missions, a flight instructor, test pilot and had a bachelor's in aeromechanics.  He flew on both Mercury and Gemini and according to Deke Slayton was the odds on favorite to be the first man on the moon before he was killed.

It's not like any of them wasn't absurdly qualified, but I can't see why he'd be at the bottom.

I am with you on this one.  Grissom got the short end of the stick in The Right Stuff, but in reality he was well thought of and considered one of the best in his era. 

Let's see if I can explain this without saying my name. For most of my life I went by a nickname that can be used for two different real names. The other one was more popular when I was a child, so some people would hear my nickname and call me by the other name. I hated those people. I usually retailiated with "actually it's short for _____." Sometimes that worked.

4 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

To the British FJers---I've been wondering about the term "Christian name." I hear that used for what we 'Muricans would just call "first name."  I hear it all the time on British TV, but what if the person is Jewish, or Muslim, etc?  When someone asks them their Christian name, isn't that kind of weird?  Or is that term not used IRL, only on TV? 

Anyway, these are the things that keep me up at night.

Christian name is used to refer to given names because historically Christian babies would be given their name at their baptism. In areas that were predominantly Christian like the UK people's given names were their Christian names. So in those areas the terms were used interchangeably. Some people still use the term now, even though it's not accurate because it's what they're used to. I still hear it occasionally here in Canada, usually from older people.

My Christian name is different than my given name. I was baptised into the Orthodox church in my early 20s and my given name is not associated with any Saints so it couldn't be used as my baptismal name, so I chose a different name. Priests are the only ones who use that name though, when I'm receiving sacraments. When I got married the preist called me "Givenname Baptismalname" so as not to confuse my family too much.

14 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

A former co-worker of mine named her daughter Renesmee.  Ai yi yi.

Ai yi yi is right. I know an Emmett and a few Jasper's that have been inspired from that book series. 

I went to high school with a female Corrie (spelled that way). There are a few Skylars at my son's elementary school and Oldest is friends with a male Skyler at her school. My kids' names run the gamut from not trendy at the time (insanely popular now) to traditional. 

My mom was big on Ireland so I'm named after a river there and my brother is Casey. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived