IGNORED

Dillards 36: Seating for Family of Four Now

Coconut Flan

53 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

TBH I took my Star of David off a long time ago. I've been to scared to even consider wearing it. And I live in a very Jewish neighborhood. But temples still get vandalized. You just don't hear about it on mainstream media.

Growing up some Orthodox Jews were shot and black man was killed as part of a white sepremisist hate crime. The person who did it was a young adult who grew up across the street from my temple and attended my high school. 

So there is a safety factor. And a general I want to avoid discrimination if possible factor because people, even in liberal well educated and affluent areas, have voiced antisemetic views.

The idea that someone could just choose to wear the Star of David whenever they felt like it makes me so sad. When I was younger there were so many times  I wanted to wear the necklace my grandfather gave me and I'm resentful at the idea non Jews decide put it on without fear or true understanding of the significance. Even religious Jews I met from Israel were given exemption from wearing the kippah when traveling for safety reasons. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Snarkle Motion said:

However, Jews do have a claim to Jewish culture. When evangelicals wear the Jewish Star of David it is completely inappropriate appropriation. A non Christian who decided the cross is fun to wear or "pretty" would be disrespectful. It's worse because of the history behind the symbol and how it was used to persecute Jews during WWII.

I understand cultural appropriation in this sense, and agree with you. I feel very strongly about people wearing a rosary around their necks.  it's not a symbol of oppression, but it is, in Catholic culture, a sacramental, or something used in the service of prayer... IT IS NOT JEWELRY.  Just as a cross or a crucifix or a star of David around someone's neck, or a symbol of another religion, it has a special meaning to that person and shouldn't be usurped.

I get really jacked out of shape when I see my nephew's tattoo of the crucified Christ. He spent his youth saying that God didn't exist, so why does he have that permanently etched on his body?

7 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

seems better to me than tuna or peas or some of the other European toppings I've heard of.

My favourite pizza topping is spaghetti. I learned it in Denmark, where they make calzone with spaghetti bolognese. mmmm! 

1 hour ago, viii said:

Not necessarily, a lot of it depends on the mother's health. 

My mom's best friend had 5 C-sections, and that was in the 80's and 90's, WITH a heart condition. The doctor told her no more after her 4th child, but they (honestly did) wound up pregnant for a 5th time. 

I think the general rule is 3 C-sections tends to be the norm before doctors advise against. 

Nope, it's very individual. There is no real rule.  The increase in risks after a 3rd vs 4th c-section isn't that big.  Some women have a paper thin uterus which looks like it'll rupture and a bladder stuck high up the lower segment after one c-section, others have a big thick uterus and barely any scarring or adhesions after four.

1 hour ago, VeganCupcake said:

I seriously hope Jill doesn't attempt anymore pregnancies. Isn't that really dangerous after two C sections? 

Not necessarily. I've had more than two and I am cleared for another pregnancy. 

15 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I get really jacked out of shape when I see my nephew's tattoo of the crucified Christ. He spent his youth saying that God didn't exist, so why does he have that permanently etched on his body?

Does he believe now? If so, who cares about what he said when he was younger? If not, that's a weird tattoo for him to get.

I don't really think Christian religious symbols are the same thing, though, as they don't have the kind of history that Jewish (and other) symbols do of being suppressed.

2 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I understand cultural appropriation in this sense, and agree with you. I feel very strongly about people wearing a rosary around their necks.  it's not a symbol of oppression, but it is, in Catholic culture, a sacramental, or something used in the service of prayer... IT IS NOT JEWELRY.  Just as a cross or a crucifix or a star of David around someone's neck, or a symbol of another religion, it has a special meaning to that person and shouldn't be usurped.

I completely agree. My mother converted to Judaism from Catholicism. Half of my extended family is catholic and I would sometimes attend church with them. I would never think to wear a rosary for "fun" because it looks cool. I would not buy a cross with Jesus on it to make artwork (not knocking art that does this but it's intentionally being provocative).

When people get upset about cultural appropriation, it's because their is history and significance behind the cultural objects or traditions being appropriated that are being ignored by the majority group. Most cultures integrate or fuse various traditions over time and I have no problem with this. But hopefully when someone explains that they feel cultural appropriation is taking place you (not you but one in general) would step back and reflect about the history and why people might feel offended. I find that many white people tend to push back on the concept of appropriation and dismisses concerns that are voiced, further silencing the disenfranchised group. It may be well intentioned or general lack of understanding, but ultimatelt it's up for representatives from the culture to determine and its disresptful to ignore their perspective. 

I think the Dreamgirls sequence from orange is the new black does a great job at illustrating appropriation. 

3 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

OMG are we happy now? 

No, are you blind!? She's sitting. Again. Like every pic of her since birth. She obviously can't walk! 

/Sarcasm

Chicken cutlet pizza and salad pizza are my favorite non-traditional pizza toppings.  Margherita pizza is my go to though.

Good to see Jill and baby looking well!  That wasn't so hard was it Dillards, was it now. ;)

I'm glad that Jill and baby seem happy and healthy. Fundie or not birth can be very very truamatic on the body, and every woman's body handles birth differenty. Jill doesnt owe the world cheerful, glowing, picture perfect post birth shots of her and Samual. Sometimes the body just takes awhile to recover. Its a nice pic, not much to snark on here, except for the semi-awkward tag #boymom - and only because it reminds me of Motherboy from Arrested Development. 

8 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

It's just the sweet and salty combo people love. My sons like it with bacon or pepperoni. I think it should be called Canadian instead of Hawaiian, but otherwise, seems better to me than tuna or peas or some of the other European toppings I've heard of.

Sweet and salty is awesome and I love pineapple on gammon, but pizza? Just can't.

2 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

Sweet and salty is awesome and I love pineapple on gammon, but pizza? Just can't.

Agreed!  There 2 kinds of people in the world, those that put pineapple on pizza and those that don't.   

7 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

As far as I can tell by looks and taste, a green onion is a scallion. A spring onion tastes and looks different from a green onion when it is raw, but when cooked, they are very similar. Similar to use interchangeably. That's in the US.

My ex from England who lived in Canada says that green onions are actually spring onions that Americans labeled wrong, but that Canadians label as a spring onion. ETA: Or maybe it was the other way around? He called spring onions green onions? I can't remember. 

I don't know the real definition for a chive. I think it is a different plant, an herb, but when I chop pretty much anything green, everyone says, "pass the chives," regardless of what it actually is, so I guess they can call them that, but it's probably technically incorrect. My guess is a true chive is a chive, and a chopped green onion is a poor man's chive. 

If it helps you guys out, spring onions are about the size of a pencil, chives are way thinner and spikier.

10 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Agreed!  There 2 kinds of people in the world, those that put pineapple on pizza and those that don't.   

Ditto sweetcorn!

1 hour ago, Kjaerringa said:

Is the ribs photo in their home? It looks like a rehab facility to me...

It looks like their home to me.  If you look at the ribs photo you can see the brick patterned floor, which has been seen in photos of them having dinner at home  pre Samuel.

Just now, MadeItOut said:

Ditto sweetcorn!

Corn on pizza?  That's a new one for me.

50 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I don't really think Christian religious symbols are the same thing, though, as they don't have the kind of history that Jewish (and other) symbols do of being suppressed.

I merely meant that Christian religious symbols have weight and meaning beyond "useful" for that particular person.. I didn't mean oppression, per se. I meant they are important to someone and shouldn't be on a hip hop video, even if your name is Madonna Louise Ciccarone (or whatever it is) and you ARE Catholic. They're not to be used that way.

47 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

OMG are we happy now? 

Derick is that you? A little too defensive of dericks "FMLA," pork, and other criticisms of the family. 

Some of you honesty think they're trolling FJ? I'd be shocked if they even read here occasionally. If they're trolling anyone, it's their Instagram followers. The FJ Duggar forum may revolve entirely around the Duggars, but the Duggars do not revolve around FJ.

They literally cannot win. If they don't post photos, something must be horribly wrong and/or they're failing at life because their only job is to be reality stars. If they do post photos, it's an 'f-u interwebz' and they're ridiculous attention whores.

What's the point? This isn't snark, it's not even bitch-eating-crackers, it's straight up shitting on people just for the sake of shitting on them. I think there are people here who are going to be genuinely disappointed if it turns out that nothing is wrong with Jill. 

I don't know why I'm surprised, it seems like tradition for any Dillard thread to devolve into a complete dumpster fire.

And since I'm already ranting and offending people, I'm going to throw it out there that I'm sick to death of people ridiculing Derick for his 'weird face' and for gagging. He can't help what his face looks like, for God's sake, and he can't control the fact that he has a medical condition that you think is 'icky'. I can't stand Derick and could go on for hours about all the things I dislike about him, but his physical appearance and health do not come into it. And I get it, I don't enjoy watching Derick gag on TV either, but filming it in the hopes that someone will see it and be able to provide answers is probably one of the most sane and reasonable things these people have ever done.

If there's ever a discussion in the Dillard thread that isn't about concern trolling insane health scenarios for Jill, or ripping these people to shreds because of their physical appearance, mental or physical health problems, or preferred pizza toppings, call me. Till then, peace out. The lunch room at work is as close to middle school as I ever want to be again.

@singsingsing and here I was thinking there was something wrong with me for being genuinely glad to see Jill's unfailing countenance. Seriously, we go into all this speculation about hysterectomies and strokes and ask where Israel is, and then we finally get a picture with all four of them that looks halfway decent and everyone makes fun of it. I'm down with the snarking over Central America and cultural appropriation, but I can't bring myself to hate on porkchops and candid family photos. Or, rather, I don't have the energy.

• Destiny locked and unfeatured this topic

Archived