IGNORED

Dillards 36: Seating for Family of Four Now

Coconut Flan

So people online has a little corner about Joseph and Kendra's bachelorette/bachelor party at a lake.  And the baby front is all quiet as far as I can see. 

Didn't Jessa have her spread three weeks in on Henry? 

Duggar's do like to just like to hush and hide when things don't go well. Kinda like shove things under the rug. This morning I was thinking to myself about how some Christians tend to equate success with God's favour and hard events/ trauma/ disappointment as some kind of discipline from God. Or that they may have done something to displease God thus having a difficult birth. It would really be easy to throw that in because their beliefs tend to highly lean towards good birth= God's blessing. 

Could they possibly think the trouble with the birth was a measure of discipline or displeasure from God and they don't want to highlight the difficulties because they may feel like it is chastisement from God? 

If someone felt that they were under discipline of any sort , you don't go around proclaiming you are being punished by God. 

This may or may not be a real stretch. But I know fundamentalists seem to be very black and white when it comes to sin. Who knows? It is not my personal belief but it could well be a part of the thought process they could be going through. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

The Duggars were culturally appropriating again because they were taking the not eating pork from Jewish people. I never said that Jill and Derick were culturally appropriating because they ate pepperoni. The whole point of this conversation was that the Duggars used to be anti-pork but they always ate pepperoni, so again picking and choosing when they want to follow said rule. 

DirtyJesus is attempting to snark on us snarking on them but failing. Because no one said anything about the Dillards eating pepperoni, we were talking about the crazy Duggar rules. It shows that he should get a job because if he's spending so much time that he can read and take a picture for us, he's got too much time on his hands. :P Seeing you know that his wife just had major surgery and they have two small children.

JoyJoy commented, and I agree, that Derick's response is really directed at his and Jill's Instagram critics. They are commenting on photos of food posted by Jill and Derick. Derick has the right to comment back however he wants. If people on FJ are commenting about the Duggars "culturally appropriating AGAIN," that didn't actually happen. I have no idea what all the Duggars are eating. All I know is that Jill and Derick ate pepperoni pizza and ribs and I don't find them stupid or hypocritical for doing so. Also, the pork thing is Biblical. The Jewish faith and culture, in my opinion, don't have claim to the Old Testament as only for them. All Christians follow the Ten Commandments and no one gets flack about it.

Derick has a job. He and his family are on a reality show. I assume they're compensated. Just pretend that for these twelve weeks after Samuel's birth, Derick is on FMLA like a regular person. He and Jill have time here and there to post on social media just like regular people.

8 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Derick has a job. He and his family are on a reality show. I assume they're compensated. Just pretend that for these twelve weeks after Samuel's birth, Derick is on FMLA like a regular person. He and Jill have time here and there to post on social media just like regular people.

Actually Derick's job is conning people out of their money while trying to tell Catholics (I am one) that they are going to hell because they don't have a personal relationship with Jesus. So no, don't pretend that Derick is a reality star. He's not simply a bumbling idiot on tv; he's a fundamentalist Christian who wants to take the rights that women have fought for away. 

What Carm said.

Also he's American. Fathers don't get 12 weeks off after the birth of a child, and mothers have no guarantee of paid time off.

7 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Also he's American. Fathers don't get 12 weeks off after the birth of a child, and mothers have no guarantee of paid time off.

Could you refer me to where it says that fathers are not entitled to FMLA because I think they are. FMLA is 12 weeks of unpaid time off.

12 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

What Carm said.

If you work for a large employer and have worked there a year yes, fathers are given 12 weeks unpaid.  Most chose not to take it because who can afford to not have a pay check for 12 weeks?

3 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

FMLA is 12 weeks of unpaid time off.

Only if the company he works for has more than 50 employees.

I was unclear about FMLA, thanks for clearing that up, @justoneoftwo and @SapphireSlytherin. I was mixed up because I've never heard of a father being able to actually use FMLA for that long. Like justoneoftwo said, who can afford it? And it's not fair to compare his situation to a normal person using FMLA because he doesn't have a damn job that requires him to do anything. His "job" is a reality tv "star"/converter of Catholics to Christianity. And he barely does any of that to begin with. As a reality tv "star," I'd say he's shirking his duties because the draw of the Duggars is their non-stop popping out babies, and sharing that with the world. That's literally what TLC pays him to do, regardless of whether exploiting his children is right or wrong.  He and Jill are not doing the bare minimum for their "job." If they doesn't want to share that with the world, that's fine. They should just stop appearing on TV and Derick should get a real job to support his family.

2 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I was unclear about FMLA, thanks for clearing that up, @justoneoftwo and @SapphireSlytherin. I was mixed up because I've never heard of a father being able to actually use FMLA for that long. Like justoneoftwo said, who can afford it? And it's not fair to compare his situation to a normal person using FMLA because he doesn't have a damn job that requires him to do anything. His "job" is a reality tv "star"/converter of Catholics to Christianity. And he barely does any of that to begin with. As a reality tv "star," I'd say he's shirking his duties because the draw of the Duggars is their non-stop popping out babies, and sharing that with the world. That's literally what TLC pays him to do, regardless of whether exploiting his children is right or wrong.  He and Jill are not doing the bare minimum for their "job." If they doesn't want to share that with the world, that's fine. They should just stop appearing on TV and Derick should get a real job to support his family.

I agree with this.  When your job is having babies and showing how wonderful your family is I'm not sure how family leave can work.  

On 7/30/2017 at 5:41 AM, JillyO said:

Well, yeah. But it's not exactly a thing that you get when you buy a pizza from a random place in Manhattan or when you order it from Domino's.
ETA: Jinx @nvmbr02 :D

Dominos in my neighborhood has turkey bacon and turkey pepperoni.

9 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Dominos in my neighborhood has turkey bacon and turkey pepperoni.

Do you live in an area with a large Jewish population? I would assume Domino's would cater to a population with specific ingredients. I know our area fast-food chains carry different items than they do in other areas...

The Duggars' area of Arkansas is about 1% Jewish, so I'm not sure many chains would have other-than-pork alternatives. But I may well be wrong. :)

There's a Dominos right across the street from me. I usually prefer other pizza places, but the proximity of Dominos and the fact that I'm on their e-mail coupon list makes them a tempting option. I've been thinking about pizza ever since I saw the Dullards eating it, and my day one cramps and malaise might lead me to cave to that craving.

Nobody mentioned the lick and stick pickle slices a la Josie. Is no one on FJ adventurous?

I seriously hope Jill doesn't attempt anymore pregnancies. Isn't that really dangerous after two C sections? 

3 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Derick has the right to comment back however he wants. If people on FJ are commenting about the Duggars "culturally appropriating AGAIN," that didn't actually happen. I have no idea what all the Duggars are eating. All I know is that Jill and Derick ate pepperoni pizza and ribs and I don't find them stupid or hypocritical for doing so. Also, the pork thing is Biblical. The Jewish faith and culture, in my opinion, don't have claim to the Old Testament as only for them. All Christians follow the Ten Commandments and no one gets flack about it.

Of course Jews don't have a "claim" to the Old Testament as its part of many religions. Jews don't care if other people want to eat pork or not. Really you can worship however you want with the Old Testament as long as you don't claim to be Jewish without converting in he proper way. And even then that's only certain communities that would be "upset." 

However, Jews do have a claim to Jewish culture. When evangelicals wear the Jewish Star of David it is completely inappropriate appropriation. A non Christian who decided the cross is fun to wear or "pretty" would be disrespectful. It's worse because of the history behind the symbol and how it was used to persecute Jews during WWII. It wasn't that long ago that Jews were forced to wear the star on armbands and died as a result. To his day I make a concious decision when it is "safe" to wear my star and tend to avoid it unless I'm doing religious activities fear of discrimination. Growing up my temple was vandalized (broken windows and hateful graffiti), my family received antisemetic literature on our doorstep, there have even been episodes of violence against Jews perpetrated in my neighborhood. The star of David has significance and a history of persecution as a symbol. It's offensive when others wear it because it looks pretty.

39 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Do you live in an area with a large Jewish population? I would assume Domino's would cater to a population with specific ingredients. I know our area fast-food chains carry different items than they do in other areas...

The Duggars' area of Arkansas is about 1% Jewish, so I'm not sure many chains would have other-than-pork alternatives. But I may well be wrong. :)

Brooklyn, NY? Yeah there's a lot of us here lol

3 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Dose he really have an employer? I thought he made his living grifting and living off Jim Bob

2 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Brooklyn, NY? Yeah there's a lot of us here lol

My dad grew up in Boro Park.

8 minutes ago, Snarkle Motion said:

Of course Jews don't have a "claim" to the Old Testament as its part of many religions. Jews don't care if other people want to eat pork or not. Really you can worship however you want with the Old Testament as long as you don't claim to be Jewish without converting in he proper way. And even then that's only certain communities that would be "upset." 

However, Jews do have a claim to Jewish culture. When evangelicals wear the Jewish Star of David it is completely inappropriate appropriation. A non Christian who decided the cross is fun to wear or "pretty" would be disrespectful. It's worse because of the history behind the symbol and how it was used to persecute Jews during WWII. It wasn't that long ago that Jews were forced to wear the star on armbands and died as a result. To his day I make a concious decision when it is "safe" to wear my star and tend to avoid it unless I'm doing religious activities fear of discrimination. Growing up my temple was vandalized (broken windows and hateful graffiti), my family received antisemetic literature on our doorstep, there have even been episodes of violence against Jews perpetrated in my neighborhood. The star of David has significance and a history of persecution as a symbol. It's offensive when others wear it because it looks pretty.

TBH I took my Star of David off a long time ago. I've been to scared to even consider wearing it. And I live in a very Jewish neighborhood. But temples still get vandalized. You just don't hear about it on mainstream media.

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Actually Derick's job is conning people out of their money while trying to tell Catholics (I am one) that they are going to hell because they don't have a personal relationship with Jesus. So no, don't pretend that Derick is a reality star. He's not simply a bumbling idiot on tv; he's a fundamentalist Christian who wants to take the rights that women have fought for away. 

I'm under the impression that most of the Dillards' income comes from TV. I can't venture a guess as to how much they raise from donations. But if people feel good about donating money to their cause, I might want them to be educated, but it's ultimately their decision. You might donate money to the Catholic Church and there are people who would consider you foolish for doing that. I'm a pro-choice Catholic and I think from what you said, you are too. We're not exactly in step with the Catholic doctrine. Actually, from my observations about Catholics, the fundies have a well thought out marketing strategy. There are many dissatisfied Catholics in search of something more meaningful to them. I've seen families leave for more liberal churches and I've had a friend become evangelical Christian. Mike Pence is a great example of a devout Catholic who became an evangelical Christian. The fundies are using some logic to convert people who already share many of their same views (anti-abortion, anti-gay) to their extreme fundy ways. I don't think that Derick will actually convert many people, but  I think  that his ministry is more about making the evilness of Trump/Pence and their ilk appear to be what Chistianity is about.

12 minutes ago, Snarkle Motion said:

Which is exactly why I didn't bring any of that into my comment and just limited it to the pork!

I'm imagining Derrick sitting at his computer, lurking grumpily on FJ, and muttering over to Jill, "::Grumble grumble merp merp:: You see these heathens on FJ talking about us eating porkchops while they guzzle up birth control pills like tic tacs? The nerve... ::merp merp grumble grumble::" :pb_lol:

26 minutes ago, VeganCupcake said:

I seriously hope Jill doesn't attempt anymore pregnancies. Isn't that really dangerous after two C sections? 

Not necessarily, a lot of it depends on the mother's health. 

My mom's best friend had 5 C-sections, and that was in the 80's and 90's, WITH a heart condition. The doctor told her no more after her 4th child, but they (honestly did) wound up pregnant for a 5th time. 

I think the general rule is 3 C-sections tends to be the norm before doctors advise against. 

6 hours ago, cascarones said:

I don't find the lack of a family photo alarming, it's a big change. There's only one photo of me as a newborn with my siblings, it's from the hospital and everyone is wearing party hats for my brother's birthday the morning after I was born (45 more minutes and we'd have the same birthday). There's way more photos of little me and the cat, who had decided I was her baby and needed constant protection from the toddler boys running amuck. 

I'm assuming you were born in the mid-90s at the latest? Norms around taking and sharing photos have obviously changed a lot in the past 10-15 years. Plenty of non-celebrities I know post multiple photos every day of their newborns, even when dealing with multiple siblings. Meanwhile I'm a firstborn who entered this world in the late 80s and I think I've only seen two photos of myself as an infant, one professional-ish looking one framed at my parents' house and another more casual one framed at my grandparents'.

Considering that it is Jill and Derick's literal job to procreate and then share it with the world, it does seem to be a bit strange that this is all we've gotten so far, unless they're holding out for some kind of magazine spread. Maybe they have decided to become more private, which is probably a good thing. But then I wonder how they will keep viewer interest going, as I'm sure the freak show element has helped boost ratings.

Is the ribs photo in their home? It looks like a rehab facility to me.....but maybe I have been visiting too many people in rehab lately. The chair is squished so close to the end table, and that is so close to where Derick is sitting.  I thought they had more space...

11 minutes ago, Kjaerringa said:

Is the ribs photo in their home? It looks like a rehab facility to me.....but maybe I have been visiting too many people in rehab lately. The chair is squished so close to the end table, and that is so close to where Derick is sitting.  I thought they had more space...

We don't know where they live now do we?  The original house was sold. . . 

We don't know where they live now do we?  The original house was sold. . . 

They live in the Duggar's guest house

• Destiny locked and unfeatured this topic

Archived