IGNORED

Dillards 36: Seating for Family of Four Now

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, freshlemonade said:

On Instagram, they got a lot of flack for eating pork on the pizza picture. So this might just be Derick's way of getting back at their haters and affirming that they do indeed eat pork.

snip 

Agreed. I think the pic of the pork ribs was Derick's passive aggressive comeback to getting asked about the pepperoni. Stupid.

(Hey Derick - If you eat pork, just say you eat pork. Nobody is judging you for eating pork. They're just curious because your dickhead father-in-law previously spewed some sanctimonious anti-pork crap and is known to be a hypocrite, so naturally people want to know where you stand.)

For a guy who preaches, Derick seems to be uncomfortable with discussing his views without getting defensive.

He could have posted a simple, "Jill and I eat pork. My in-laws briefly abstained from pork, but that is not something that Jill and I have chosen for our family at this time." 

He really doesn't know how to engage with groups of people. How the hell does this guy think he can run a ministry if he can't even be direct about his views on pizza? 

Side Note: I believe they're pork ribs and not beef or lamb because they're too small to be beef ribs, beef ribs are quite large, and lamb is too rare for a standard Arkansas barbecue dinner. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

I wonder if Jill is having a hard time walking? Can something happen to your legs after an epidural? I agree with the other posters that perhaps she didn't want to visit with friends on their 'date night'. But something happened with her legs that affect her walking is one of my theories. 

I had an epidural, it didn't cause the problem.  But the first little while OMG the incision hurt when getting up or sitting down.

Maybe Cathy is spending extra time with Izzy to not only help out but also to make up for missing Izzy while they were gone.  At least with her he gets more attention.

As far as we know, Izzy has been back with his parents for several days now.

Jill looks healthy and alert. We have absolutely no reason to believe that she suffered a stroke, a hysterectomy, or any kind of other catastrophic complication.

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Jill did have care from a nurse midwife while PG with Izzy.

Hate to beat a dead horse here but IIRC, Jill had a lay midwife with Izzy, not a CNM. 

12 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Agreed. I think the pic of the pork ribs was Derick's passive aggressive comeback to getting asked about the pepperoni. Stupid.

(s on pizza? 

I didn't find Derick's "rib posts" passive aggressive at all. I actually thought they showed a pretty good sense of humor. I don't think Derick owes the world an explanation for every normal thing that he does (wearing shorts, eating pork) just because his in-laws have had these rules to live by. Their followers don't care about these things; they don't need to answer to their critics. We haven't gotten a statement from Jinger and Jeremy about women wearing pants, but we see their position through photographs. What's the difference with Derick and Porkgate? I do, however, ABHOR Derick's politics and his support of Trump. Supporting a person with such a horrible moral code is indefensible even though I know it's just based on abortion and LGBT issues.

5 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I find it amusing that JillDer are living in that huge house and not working while they are grifting money to live on. I guess I understand that is what is going on. And I guess that it is okay with their leghumpers.

This to me is blatantly creepy. But that is just me. 

I can't really tell if pretti.bliss is being sarcastic or not :my_biggrin:

Spoiler

Capture.thumb.PNG.9536adc888304b2a93f93038d9e66960.PNG

10 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

...his views on pizza? 

This just made a sucky day lighter! I believe I shall spend the rest of the day when dark, bad thoughts try to creep in, resisting them by developing my own views on pizza. ;)

...for one thing, pineapple is wonderful, pizza is wonderful, the two together should never be allowed!

On 7/28/2017 at 10:24 PM, RosyDaisy said:

I have Meniere's Disease. One day I was at a store shopping and had a bad vertigo attack. The manager told me "get your wasted ass out of the store before I call the law". My sister was with me and let the manager have it (verbally that is). The manager apologized and said my purchase was on her. I accepted the apology, but we left the store without purchasing anything. I have boycotted that store ever since.

Ugh, that's horrible.  My husband has Meniere's Disease as well and it can be debilitating at times.  He was down for a week last summer with vertigo - all he could do was lay down and let it pass.

On 7/30/2017 at 8:40 AM, backyard sylph said:

I imagine if I were younger, I'd have been given this label. People never knew what to do with me, because I seemed so "normal" except when I wasn't, quite. They had no idea what was actually going on inside here. 

You sound a lot like my brother. He was diagnosed ADD, but the Ritalin didn't seem to work for him. It wasn't until years later when our cousin was diagnosed as having Asperger's that we considered his behavior and went, "Wait..." 

22 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

She used to do it all the time but she had a teacher for 3 years that truly believed that stimming was not good for the kids. He said that if they were stimming, they were not present or learning. He would say "HANDS" and every child would stop stimming. It was kind of amazing. I do have very mixed feelings about it though...

I would wonder if that would affect coping ability? Since sometimes stimming is used to cope with sensory overload or anxiety?

19 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@amandaaries,  I've had that experience as well.  If you tell people you don't eat animals, you'll still get offered fish because some people don't consider fish as animals.  They're not mammals or birds, but they are indeed animals.

There are still people who identify as vegetarian and eat fish. Technically pescaterian.

3 minutes ago, Ilovebrownies said:

What's up with her plate?  She doesn't seem to be holding it.  It's  just floating there like it's photoshopped.

We can't see her left hand, so I assume it's holding the plate and her hand/arm is out of shot.

Derick is so passive aggressive, he might as well be a teenaged girl on Facebook/Instagram. Stop reading here and getting your panties in a wad. We really don't care if you eat pork, it was just a comment on the Duggars themselves who were culturally appropriating again. Either way, act like an adult or lock up your social media. :P 

49 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

You sound a lot like my brother. He was diagnosed ADD, but the Ritalin didn't seem to work for him. It wasn't until years later when our cousin was diagnosed as having Asperger's that we considered his behavior and went, "Wait..."

I knew a little kid like that. He was on Ritalin, and for me it was sad to see how it affected him, when in my non-expert opinion, he was very "aspie," as they would say a few years ago on the ol' web. He could talk of Pokemon for hours, just really next-level stuff, if allowed to. And I think his attention disorder was just him being pressed into a mold he couldn't fit into. We moved away, always hoped someone figured him out.

I saw the school counselor sometimes when I was little, because I wasn't enough like "the other girls," and somehow never connected to them well, though I'd sometimes try. Plus I was physically awkward, and super skinny, and had huge buck teeth, so I stood out. I was unfailingly nice to the "underdog" kids, never quite understanding that other people saw me as one. Later on, I was bullied and teased a lot, and had this odd mixture of no self-confidence and complete self-confidence. Still do, I guess.

11 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

He could have posted a simple, "Jill and I eat pork. My in-laws briefly abstained from pork, but that is not something that Jill and I have chosen  purposed for our family at this time." 

Fixed that for you..

FTR, I see Jill as pretty pale and just a bit phoning it in. Two weeks after having major surgery, I'm thinking that's an ok look for her. But I won't go so far as to say "healthy" just yet. Not completely. 

I am a bit worried about Izzy, too.. I'm surprised there are no photos of the entire family, him with Sam, etc.

13 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I'm surprised there are no photos of the entire family, him with Sam, etc.

This is the weirdest part of the whole thing.

1 hour ago, MadeItOut said:

...for one thing, pineapple is wonderful, pizza is wonderful, the two together should never be allowed!

So agree, yuck!!

It's just the sweet and salty combo people love. My sons like it with bacon or pepperoni. I think it should be called Canadian instead of Hawaiian, but otherwise, seems better to me than tuna or peas or some of the other European toppings I've heard of.

I don't find the lack of a family photo alarming, it's a big change. There's only one photo of me as a newborn with my siblings, it's from the hospital and everyone is wearing party hats for my brother's birthday the morning after I was born (45 more minutes and we'd have the same birthday). There's way more photos of little me and the cat, who had decided I was her baby and needed constant protection from the toddler boys running amuck. 

It could also be that the kids are ships passing in the night. Samuel is too young to be on any regular schedule and I'm sure they're trying to keep things as normal for Izzy as possible. Izzy may have no interest in the little sleeping or crying bundle that's always in Mom's arms, or having trouble adjusting. One of my friend's toddlers is currently pretending the newborn doesn't exist, while her twin doesn't like being in the same room with the baby at all and will throw a tantrum until she's freed from the baby's presence. 

51 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

It's just the sweet and salty combo people love. My sons like it with bacon or pepperoni. I think it should be called Canadian instead of Hawaiian, but otherwise, seems better to me than tuna or peas or some of the other European toppings I've heard of.

That's interesting. I've never heard of tuna or peas on pizza.  I love peas and I'm willing to try anything, but... I'm not rushing to try tuna pizza. I like oyster pizza though. Maybe tuna with capers would be okay? Geez, now I'm getting ideas for weird pizza. 

My favorite toppings are artichoke hearts, mushrooms, spinach, zucchini, red onions, spring onions (AKA green onions, or when chopped, they're called chives), and garlic. I don't care for tomatoes on pizza. It seems kindof redundant when there is already tomato sauce. I prefer a standard pizza sauce, but I know some places offer Alfredo sauce and barbecue sauce as alternatives.

1 minute ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

That's interesting. I've never heard of tuna or peas on pizza.  I love peas and I'm willing to try anything, but... I'm not rushing to try tuna pizza. I like oyster pizza though. Maybe tuna with capers would be okay? Geez, now I'm getting ideas for weird pizza. 

My favorite toppings are artichoke hearts, mushrooms, spinach, zucchini, red onions, spring onions (AKA green onions, or when chopped, they're called chives), and garlic. I don't care for tomatoes on pizza. It seems kindof redundant when there is already tomato sauce. I prefer a standard pizza sauce, but I know some places offer Alfredo sauce and barbecue sauce as alternatives.

I don't really like seafood with cheese, including anchovies, but some of it might be all right.

When I make pizza at home, my sons have sauce on theirs, and I just smush up tomatoes with other stuff, like red onion, garlic, maybe chopped olives. And they have a whole layer of cheese with their toppings, I just sprinkle a little over my tomato concoction. Really, it's probably that I like flat bread with stuff on it more than actually pizza.

Do people call spring onion greens chives? I grow them both, but they're two different plants, though with obvious similarities.

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Derick is so passive aggressive, he might as well be a teenaged girl on Facebook/Instagram. Stop reading here and getting your panties in a wad. We really don't care if you eat pork, it was just a comment on the Duggars themselves who were culturally appropriating again. Either way, act like an adult or lock up your social media. :P 

For a site that applauds and thrives on snark, there seems to be a strong contingent that gets very huffy when Derick gets his snark on. He's serious about his religion and politics, which are universally hated upon by all here. Why can't he be snarky about something that is so inconsequential? If their fundy followers are upset about the foods the Dillards choose to eat, then Derick can address it if he wants. But their followers aren't upset. For some reason, his critics think he needs to clarify his position to us. He doesn't! And we know what his position is: Derick and Jill eat pork! If the comments here were really about only the Duggars who still have the name Duggar, then everyone should have made it clear that Jill and Derick were exempt from all comments. Also, it's funny that the Duggars were "culturally appropriating again" because Jill and Derick ate a pepperoni pizza.

34 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

Do people call spring onion greens chives? I grow them both, but they're two different plants, though with obvious similarities.

As far as I can tell by looks and taste, a green onion is a scallion. A spring onion tastes and looks different from a green onion when it is raw, but when cooked, they are very similar. Similar to use interchangeably. That's in the US.

My ex from England who lived in Canada says that green onions are actually spring onions that Americans labeled wrong, but that Canadians label as a spring onion. ETA: Or maybe it was the other way around? He called spring onions green onions? I can't remember. 

I don't know the real definition for a chive. I think it is a different plant, an herb, but when I chop pretty much anything green, everyone says, "pass the chives," regardless of what it actually is, so I guess they can call them that, but it's probably technically incorrect. My guess is a true chive is a chive, and a chopped green onion is a poor man's chive. 

19 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Also, it's funny that the Duggars were "culturally appropriating again" because Jill and Derick ate a pepperoni pizza.

The Duggars were culturally appropriating again because they were taking the not eating pork from Jewish people. I never said that Jill and Derick were culturally appropriating because they ate pepperoni. The whole point of this conversation was that the Duggars used to be anti-pork but they always ate pepperoni, so again picking and choosing when they want to follow said rule. 

DirtyJesus is attempting to snark on us snarking on them but failing. Because no one said anything about the Dillards eating pepperoni, we were talking about the crazy Duggar rules. It shows that he should get a job because if he's spending so much time that he can read and take a picture for us, he's got too much time on his hands. :P Seeing you know that his wife just had major surgery and they have two small children.

22 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@amandaaries,  I've had that experience as well.  If you tell people you don't eat animals, you'll still get offered fish because some people don't consider fish as animals.  They're not mammals or birds, but they are indeed animals.

ETA: There is a Starbucks near the Florida School for the Deaf in St Augustine (IIRC) where all the staff knows ASL so that they can interact with their customers.  I think they need a Starbucks or two like that in Spartanburg, SC near the SC School for the Deaf and Blind.

Mr. Tribe and I recently visited Jacksonville FL.  We are both studying sign language and as we drove past St. Augustine I looked into the SUV next to us and the driver and passenger were signing.  We got excited like a couple of little kids.  (just wish I could get him to recognize that it's not Gaullidette in St. Augustine, but the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind)

I don't think Derick was responding to us(FreeJinger). That was meant for instagram comments. Tumblr was also all over this. I find the reaction to the Dillards eating pepperoni pizza strange. I do agree with whomever said that its odd that the married Duggars get flack when they don't follow their parents rules.

One of the Real Housewives had to stop posting photos of her dogs on instagram because people were calling animal protective services with false allegations. Reading the comments on celebrity instagram post is...something.

Also, Jews are not the only people who don't eat pork for religious reason. I don't know if I would consider this cultural appropriation.

• Destiny locked and unfeatured this topic

Archived