IGNORED

Dillards 36: Seating for Family of Four Now

Coconut Flan

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I lived in NYC I was on the same block as the school for the St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf, so there was always at least a few sign language conversations going on at our metro stop. We also always had at least two cops and one of those big flood lights outside my building, as the school drew a lot of drug and gang activity. To the point where it was worth taking the long way around after dark. It wasn't the kiddos, I guess it seemed like a good spot to be nefarious without being overheard.  There was a bagel shop down the road where a previous student works, so my ASL is limited to ordering a blueberry bagel toasted (yes, I know you're not supposed to toast them, but they're tastier). 

6 minutes ago, cascarones said:

There was a bagel shop down the road where a previous student works, so my ASL is limited to ordering a blueberry bagel toasted (yes, I know you're not supposed to toast them, but they're tastier). 

You are supposed to eat food in the way that brings you the most satisfaction, food snobs bedamned.

A really good one "should" be first appreciated without toasting, just to know how great that is. Then I feel heartily that it is up to you.

I can't really throw shade at her for eating in the car, my partner and I sometimes do that. Granted, it's usually when we are traveling to new places and my anxiety about being the only QPOC kicks in (ptsd from incidents of hurtful homophobic comments/actions) Or if I have really bad cramps.

I wish I could tell pizza chains apart at first glance! I could use that as a party trick, "it's not delivery, it's DiGiorno!"

Growing up, ASL was mandatory at my middle school. I was also in the "bad kids class" at school (usually kids from broken homes with high likelihood of dropping out due to poverty or parental neglect or gang activity). We were generally good kids with messed up or inaccurate labels. The cool thing was that we spent a third of our day volunteering in classes with people with other abilities. 

I found it amazing and stereotype breaking to watch a 7th grade supposed gang banger push a heavy electric wheelchair for over a mile when it broke down. This kid was pushing a girl with CP all the way back to school from a field trip and telling her really bad jokes to make her laugh. And he'd volunteered to do it! It was beautiful and there were lots of beautiful moments like this, that I'm glad my 13 year old self got to be a part of.

@sassyNoz47Yes, this! Thank you for this!

autism.jpg

9 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Forgive my ignorance. What is "stimed"?

Some folks flap, some hum very loudly. It varies with each person. My daughter has a very distinctive stim. She slightly flaps one hand right at her upper lip and the other one by her right ear. She does it when she is very happy/excited or anxious. She used to do it all the time but she had a teacher for 3 years that truly believed that stimming was not good for the kids. He said that if they were stimming, they were not present or learning. He would say "HANDS" and every child would stop stimming. It was kind of amazing. I do have very mixed feelings about it though...

2 hours ago, Mabel said:

There's also technically a Universal Sign Language, but not a lot of people use it.

I will add that I live in a part of my state with a very large ASD/IDD population. We all sign A LOT. But, I think our signing would very much be considered a slang version. My daughter tends to be effort challenged (lazyyy) about signing, as do her peers. People who "speak" proper ASL are probably horrified at what we do...

8 hours ago, JillyO said:

The Duggars definitely claimed not to eat pork because Leviticus. They made a big deal out of buying turkey bacon.

Of course we have also seen them eat peperoni pizza about five gazillion times on the show. Either they are dumb as fuck and don't realize (conventional) peperoni is pork, or they're huge-ass hypocrites. Oh, wait.

5159627_orig.jpg

The Duggars remind me of when my family goes on vacation to places where the Jewish population is practically zero (so people don't know about kosher restrictions), and when we tell the waitstaff we don't eat pork and ask about items on the menu, they recommend items with ham. 

33 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

@HarryPotterFan

The Duggars remind me of when my family goes on vacation to places where the Jewish population is practically zero (so people don't know about kosher restrictions), and when we tell the waitstaff we don't eat pork and ask about items on the menu, they recommend items with ham. 

It's really stupid, but it's about context. Like, they aren't hearing you don't eat pig. They're hearing something they associate with parts of a pig, not the beast itself. Some might not even think of bacon as pork...

3 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

A really good one "should" be first appreciated without toasting, just to know how great that is. Then I feel heartily that it is up to you.

True, my rule of thumb is if it's made in house I'll have them toast half the bagel and leave the other half alone. Works out since I've never actually eaten a whole bagel in one go. To get those sorts of fancy bagels I would have had to walk up a few blocks into where Brooklyn was in full blown gentrification. That's a whole other beast when it gets mixed in with cultural appropriation like the Summerhill protests over the 40 oz roses and bullet hole walls.

My roommate at the time had just come back from years of international aid work (with an ebil Catholic organization) in Honduras and she gets apoplectic over the Dillards. Wrote one of her papers for grad school on the damage they're doing both to expectations of aid workers and the impact it has on local communities as far as trusting Americans and Christian organizations. 

She's very convinced had their upbringing been more mainstream they both would have just joined the peace corp, met in orientation, still been smitten with their shared ideals. Jill would get homesick and leave her assignment early and Derick would continue on trying convert people that already believe in Jesus to believing in his version of Jesus. He'd then wind up with a tapeworm from rotten fruit. 

Food restrictions are definitely in context, my Big Fat Greek Wedding where Ian is vegetarian and they decide he'll have lamb. We're having a group over for dinner this week and I think I'm on my third menu revision. One couple keeps kosher, one has to have low sodium (easy), allergies to eggs, soy, shellfish, one guy thinks his girlfriend is a vegan, but isn't sure. She just wants to know what's on the menu to make sure she's accommodated. 

I can't even imagine what that would be like for the Duggars if any of the kids have food allergies, you'd be making so many meals!

12 hours ago, Voluminous Skirts said:

Still, it doesn't mean she's recovering easily. Their earlier uncharacteristic silence still makes me think malpractice lawsuit, or at the very least, PPD.

They don't have a claim for malpractice, with no prenatal care (I'm assuming this based on them traveling to SCA and that they didn't have any w/ Izzy), and arriving at hospital after a prolonged labor (again assuming) any birth injury Samuel received is her fault, not the doctors. Not that they wouldn't try and sue anyway but they have no case and any reasonable court would throw it out quickly. 

2 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I have traveled as a vegetarian and had similarly bewildering experiences.  My favorites are telling people I don't eat meat, and then getting offered chicken.  Turning that down will have them mention fish.  After that's rejected, people often used to shut down a little (food is so personal, and I think others can feel rejected when food options are rejected), then throw some lettuce and tomato my way.  I've gotten better at navigating menus and figuring out ways to customize orders to avoid meat, but it's consistently fascinating to see how people respond to just the idea of a limited diet.

55 minutes ago, cascarones said:

I can't even imagine what that would be like for the Duggars if any of the kids have food allergies, you'd be making so many meals!

Actually, Josie has a dairy allergy. They appear to have made zero changes to accommodate her special needs, though Ofboob was shown trying to lead Josie in a chant about how she couldn't have yogurt, even though others could.  I suspect Josie's famous on-camera blowout (when she was allegedly potty trained) was due to them ignoring her dairy restrictions.  

16 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I will snark a bit on Derick for making this a super-special date night if only because he really has shown himself to be an "I did the bare minimum, aren't I the best husband ever?" type of dude. But I also really like pizza and not having to deal with other people, so if my boyfriend said "hey, wanna get pizza and then not have to be presentable in a restaurant or around people who will judge your weird taste in toppings?" I'd probably go "fuck yeah get me a half anchovy half mushroom/sun-dried tomatoes".

So if your boyfriend had done this, it's because he really "gets" you, but since it's Derick, let's assume it's all about him showing what a great husband he is. Even though we don't know whose idea it was to eat pizza in the car and Jill is the one who posted the picture. Yeah, Derick seems like a total douche here.

@amandaaries,  I've had that experience as well.  If you tell people you don't eat animals, you'll still get offered fish because some people don't consider fish as animals.  They're not mammals or birds, but they are indeed animals.

ETA: There is a Starbucks near the Florida School for the Deaf in St Augustine (IIRC) where all the staff knows ASL so that they can interact with their customers.  I think they need a Starbucks or two like that in Spartanburg, SC near the SC School for the Deaf and Blind.

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

@amandaaries,  I've had that experience as well.  If you tell people you don't eat animals, you'll still get offered fish because some people don't consider fish as animals.  They're not mammals or birds, but they are indeed animals.

It's become funny to me, at this point in life, except and unless I'm potentially offending someone by turning down the food they're offering. When I lived in Korea, I had a student write a note explaining everything that I didn't eat, then mentioning eggs (for Buddhist vegetarians, eggs aren't ok), fruit, tofu, and veggies being things I enjoyed. That little note helped me so much!  Even though I occasionally showed it to restaurant workers and got turned away... :my_sad:  That's still better than being secretly served beef or pork or whatever.

About Jill eating pepperoni pizza even though the Duggars supposedly don't eat pork.

15 hours ago, Beermeet said:

It her rebellion.  Like Jingers's pants. :D

11 hours ago, JillyO said:

The Duggars definitely claimed not to eat pork because Leviticus. They made a big deal out of buying turkey bacon.

Of course we have also seen them eat peperoni pizza about five gazillion times on the show. Either they are dumb as fuck and don't realize (conventional) peperoni is pork, or they're huge-ass hypocrites. Oh, wait.

Jinger wears pants: "You go, girl!"

Jill eats pepperoni: "Dumb as fuck or huge-ass hypocrite."

I understand that the whole Duggar family seemed to contradict their rule about pork, but maybe as an adult, Jill has purposefully decided not to follow that rule. But it's Jill so must be dumb as fuck or hypocritical. Any changes in Jill's behavior that could be construed as growth don't fit into the FJ narrative.

When I first saw the "pizza date" photo I thought Derek was pinching his nipples.  Go ahead, quickly glance at the photo with that in mind.  It's not just me.

28 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Actually, Josie has a dairy allergy.

I think they said she was lactose intolerant which is not the same.  Lactose intolerance can change over time and can be dealt with by using Lactaid or similar tablets or using lactose free dairy products.  Although using either may be too much trouble for the Duggars.

19 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I think they said she was lactose intolerant which is not the same.  Lactose intolerance can change over time and can be dealt with by using Lactaid or similar tablets or using lactose free dairy products.  Although using either may be too much trouble for the Duggars.

Was it lactose intolerance?  It's been a LONG while since I watched those old episodes, so my memory may have gotten fuzzy on that. However, I do clearly remember Ofboob chanting with Josie something along the lines of, "while others may, I may not." Josie didn't seem to be buying it, and I recall other scenes of her chasing after dairy products with the rest of the herd.  (Remember those giant pizzas they had that time? And the cream of crap soup, based on...cream?)

Anyway, as a sinful, public school mother-heathen, I just latched onto the "dairy" part, because having met kids with various allergies and sensitivities, I tend to take all those labels seriously...and the Duggars didn't seem to.  Whatever her diagnosis, they seemed to have a pretty casual response to it.

PS, thank you for the correction! There are more than enough lies on the Internet, and there is no need for me to contribute to that large pool, even if unintentionally. 

In the case of the pepperoni, I'm inclined to think the Duggars either didn't know, or didn't consider, pepperoni to be pork. 

Pancetta, as well as Bacon, AKA "streaky bacon," are from the belly of the pig. 

Ham, whole ham, glazed ham, AKA "gammon," pigs knuckles, AKA "gammon hock," are from the thigh. So is a pork roast. 

The shoulder includes what is called picnic ham or pork shoulder.

Pepperoni is seasoned fat trimmings, from both pork and beef, and sausage is from organs and other parts. 

ETA: The loin includes pork chops, pork medallions, and baby back ribs.

It could be the Duggars only consider the loin to be pork, and the other parts are just.... Not pork? Not sure how that adds up exactly. 

But then there is this...

Canadian bacon, AKA "back bacon," is also from the loin, which would make it a Duggar grey area. Would they consider it to be pork because it's from the loin, or would it be bacon because nobody calls it back loin, or back pork? Maybe pepperoni should have been called porkeronis instead. Than nobody would accidentally eat them. Do all-beef pepperonis exist? 

1 hour ago, cascarones said:

had just come back from years of international aid work (with an ebil Catholic organization) in Honduras and she gets apoplectic over the Dillards. Wrote one of her papers for grad school on the damage they're doing both to expectations of aid workers and the impact it has on local communities as far as trusting Americans and Christian organizations. 

I would love to read a paper that really delves into the damage they do.

As opposed to people like your roommate, or my cousin - who is an infectious disease doctor and spent a year in Uganda, living with the community, educating himself about their culture, etc.

6 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

It could be the Duggars only consider the loin to be pork, and the other parts are just.... Not pork? Not sure how that adds up exactly. 

That just makes no sense to me. The other parts still come from the unkosher animal. The law addresses the type of animal itself, not the part of the animal it comes from.

http://biblehub.com/leviticus/11-3.htm

But then I'm asking the Duggars to make sense...

54 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Actually, Josie has a dairy allergy. They appear to have made zero changes to accommodate her special needs, though Ofboob was shown trying to lead Josie in a chant about how she couldn't have yogurt, even though others could.  I suspect Josie's famous on-camera blowout (when she was allegedly potty trained) was due to them ignoring her dairy restrictions.  

Some kids grow out of dairy allergies, especially when they have them as a young kid, so she very well could have by now.

14 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Was it lactose intolerance?  It's been a LONG while since I watched those old episodes, so my memory may have gotten fuzzy on that. However, I do clearly remember Ofboob chanting with Josie something along the lines of, "while others may, I may not." Josie didn't seem to be buying it, and I recall other scenes of her chasing after dairy products with the rest of the herd.  (Remember those giant pizzas they had that time? And the cream of crap soup, based on...cream?)

She might be okay with pizza. I made homemade mozzarella cheese and the way it was explained to me was that we were separating the curds from the whey. We used the curds to make mozzarella. The lactose was almost entirely separated out with the whey. We used the whey to make ricotta. We also kept some whey for protein shakes. At the time I was thinking that lactose intolerant people might be able to eat mozzarella, but would definitely want to avoid ricotta and whey protein shakes.

BTW, mozzarella is the easiest thing to make ever, and a really good use of expired milk. I'm dairy free now, but it was fun to make at the time.

41 minutes ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

When I first saw the "pizza date" photo I thought Derek was pinching his nipples.  Go ahead, quickly glance at the photo with that in mind.  It's not just me.

Yup!!!! You are correct !!!!!!!!

All of these comments on dairy allergies are true, but it's also true that Josie had an infamous blow out on camera, broadcast on their show and then shared online globally.  Gastrointestinal distress is one of the most common symptoms of dairy issues, right?  And for a child that young but potty trained, wouldn't that kind of accident likely be linked to problems with a food sensitivity?  IME, kids with potty training issues usually wet themselves not making it to the toilet in time, but other issues tend to be a bit more food-based. While I could be wrong, I think her accident was dairy-related.

For normal people, those who watch and monitor their children, especially the medically fragile ones, we could probably safely assume they were doing their best.  These are still the Duggars, so I don't feel as safe making that same assumption. YMMV. 

22 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

In the case of the pepperoni, I'm inclined to think the Duggars either didn't know, or didn't consider, pepperoni to be pork. 

Pancetta, as well as Bacon, AKA "streaky bacon," are from the belly of the pig. 

Ham, whole ham, glazed ham, AKA "gammon," pigs knuckles, AKA "gammon hock," are from the thigh. So is a pork roast. 

The shoulder includes what is called picnic ham or pork shoulder.

Pepperoni is seasoned fat trimmings, from both pork and beef, and sausage is from organs and other parts. 

ETA: The loin includes pork chops, pork medallions, and baby back ribs.

But then there is this...

Canadian bacon, AKA "back bacon," is also from the loin, which would make it a Duggar grey area. Would they consider it to be pork because it's from the loin, or would it be bacon because nobody calls it back loin, or back pork? Maybe pepperoni should have been called porkeronis instead. Than nobody would accidentally eat them. Do all-beef pepperonis exist? 

Sorry but I'm laughing at the last bit!!! Your post is very educational. Are you a butcher/farmer?  You have just cheered up a very chilly July evening!!

• Destiny locked and unfeatured this topic

Archived