IGNORED

Dillards 27 - Allergies, Fever, and the Dangers of Being a White Baby

choralcrusader8613

Mr LBE's 18 year old half-sister (born December 1998) came to visit us last year. I'm 30 (born September 1986). 

A song by the Spice Girls came on the radio while her and I were in the car and she asked me who they are.

When I told her, she was like "Oh Victoria Beckham, the fashion designer who married David Beckham". She didn't actually know Victoria Beckham as "Posh Spice", just a fashion designer. 

I'd never felt older in my life. 

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this topic was hot because something big happened lol.

The first big news story I remember was Jon Benet Ramsay. Her face was all over the magazines by check out counters at stores, and my mom had a way of using these child murder cases to scare me. 

Now I have to go research these tylenol murders because I have never heard of them. 

I vaguely remember Princess Di's death (I was SUPER young but have a great memory, and my mom was pretty upset by it).

But the first news event I remember clearly was Colombine; I remember because it was the first time I tried to read the "news" in the newspaper. I think I was in second or third grade, and managed it just fine.

I think one of my first really clear memories is of the Watts Riots. We lived a few miles away and I remember my mom bringing my brother and I into bed with her and a shotgun laying across all of us with her finger on the trigger.

I vaguely remember the JFK and RFK assassinations. I do remember being told about JFK in school, and the teacher crying.

ETA: For the sake of clarity....I will be 60 years old in July. Most everything you all are talking about, happened when I was well into adulthood.

I remember the night Princess Diana died.  I was at a party, sitting outside by a fire and someone came from the house yelling Princess Diana  had died.  We all ran into the house and spent the rest of then night watching the news.  Her death really affected a lot of people.

Actually wait, OJ Simpson's murder case was the first big thing I remember. That came before JonBenet.

2 hours ago, Thorkim1954 said:

I know!  Every time I try to get into an aspirin bottle, medicine bottle, calcium supplement bottle, I bitch about it because these damned things are locked down better than Fort Knox.  As I'm going through one wrapper, obstacle at a time, many times I say "F you Tylenol killer" and thank God that I don't have arthritis. Yet.

Lol so true. I just had the flu and was nearly too weak to open the medicine. I try to remember not to close them lol (no kids or pets). 

2 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Actually wait, OJ Simpson's murder case was the first big thing I remember. That came before JonBenet.

Come to think of it, I remember that happening. Just the verdict, though, I was barely old enough for school at the time.

1 hour ago, MayMay1123 said:

the first big thing i can remember is the moon landing ::sob:: i'm really old LOL

Mine is JFK's assaination. I'm old, but I don't feel like I am.

The first big news event I remember is cyclone Tracy.  Christmas morning 1974. We didn't have the tv on, but when I went to my neighbours home to see her presents, they had the news on. It decimated the city of Darwin.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I think the first major news event I can remember is the Oklahoma City Bombing. Then Jon Benet Ramsey and O.J. Simpson.

These were my first too. 

I have a weird memory. Apparently when 9/11 happened I was at a friend's house and the mum felt guilty because she was just glued to the TV. A local department store sold TVs on the top floor at one point and they were playing the news that day, Dad was watching there. 

I guess not many *major* events happened here, or I just have a bad memory and don't remember them much. I remember being in the lunch queue and being told by a classmate that we (well, London) had won the Olympics, and then the next day 7/7 happened. I remember my teacher left the classroom because he was worried about his wife I think. (She was OK). 

Mine is Elvis's death. I feel old. I really can't grasp that there are adults who don't remember 9/11.

Mine were the '88 presidential election (I remember this because my father, who was a professor of journalism and mass media) was on the television and it blew my five year old mind. Besides that, I distinctly remember the fall of the Soviet Union (bread lines!) and the first Gulf War. 

31 minutes ago, lawlifelgbt said:

Come to think of it, I remember that happening. Just the verdict, though, I was barely old enough for school at the time.

Same. I remember the verdict. When I watched The People vs OJ Simpson this year I was like "holy shit it really happened like this?

First major news event I remember was the Challenger explosion. I was in kindy or 1st grade and we were watching on TV. 

I was in sixth/seventh grade when the O.J. Simpson trial happened and still remember that I was with my mother feeding her best friend's cats when we saw the infamous "white Ford Bronco" chase. What a bunch of nothing that ended up being, but we seemed to think it was riveting television at the time.

1 hour ago, RosyDaisy said:

April 3, 1974 worse tornado outbreak ever until April 27, 2011.
Iran hostage crisis.
Reagan's assassination attempt
John Lennon killed
Space Shuttle Challenger explosion

I had forgotten about the space shuttle.  That's pretty vague though.  I remember it exploding and then getting on the bus for school.  I only went a half day and in the afternoon.

I had no recollection of the bronco chase at all. My husband is three years older than me and was like "really, you don't remember that?" When we were watching PvsOJ.

I wasn't born during the Challenger, but I remember the Columbia, and my science teacher flipping shit at a classmate for saying NASA stood for "need another seven astronauts"

The first event I remember vaguely is princess Diana's funeral; I remember sitting on my mums knee watching it on TV. 

The first I remember clearly is the Omagh Bombing - I remember all my family being frantic trying to phone relatives 

I remember OJ. When they released the verdict, the principal of my elementary school came on the PA and announced, "The bird flies free." I was in sixth grade then. Makes me wonder years later how teachers in younger grades explained that announcement to students.

I remember Live Aid and getting to stay up to watch to the end. Ah Freddie Mercury! How I miss him.

I remember the Anglo-Irish Agreement and protests around it. I couldn't get to school because our road was blocked. It was great.

Challenger, Seoul Olympics and fall of the Berlin Wall.

I feel kind of old now...

17 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I had no recollection of the bronco chase at all. My husband is three years older than me and was like "really, you don't remember that?" When we were watching PvsOJ.

At the time, I remember that we were all pretty convinced it was going to end in a suicide. :my_confused: On a slightly funnier note, when Kato Kaelen was asked on the stand about a June 12th visit with O.J. to McDonalds, he said something about eating his fries on the way home and saving the "entree" for later. To this day, whenever I stop for burgers with a member of my family, one of us always says "you can eat the fries now, but save the entree for when we get home..."

ETA:

We're also big fans of pulling this one out when something very minor goes wrong. I guess that's what you get for being the children of a mass media professor. 

2 hours ago, MayMay1123 said:

the first big thing i can remember is the moon landing ::sob:: i'm really old LOL

First moon orbit, the 1968 elections and McCarty (Eugene not Joe) on our car. I was really little then, but now I'm ancient. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived