IGNORED

Dillards 27 - Allergies, Fever, and the Dangers of Being a White Baby

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, Stormy said:

I was born on the exact day and year of Nicole Brown Simpson's murder (June 12, 1994). My mom was upset because my middle name's Nicole and they'd given it to me before they saw the news. Twenty-two years later and the Orlando nightclub massacre happens...I'm not big on celebrating birthdays anyway...

I'm on the 13th of June but had a late party that year and got home to the bronco chase as a teenager.  For years that's how everyone remembered my birthday as the night we watched OJ.  

Fast forward last year I was at a wedding in Jamaica when Pulse happened.  I'm from Orlando and some of the medical staff including a trauma surgeon was there.  Our phones all began ringing at the same time we knew something was up.

My earliest memory I think was the challenger explosion. Possibly when Regan was shot but ik not sure if ok remembering the real thing or later news footage. 

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am aged as well...

We got all of our really important news from our super cool FM radio stations. (you did not listen to AM radio after junior high, you just didn't). We were almost to school (11th grade) when they interrupted (probably a great Styx or Queen song...) to report about John Lennon. It was surreal. That is my earliest big news memory. 

Wow I'm old. My first news memory is the TMI nuclear accident. We lived about 1/2 hour away. I remember my parents discussing whether we should leave or not and me packing up my toys in my Charlie's Angels luggage. My husband's dad actually worked there at the time- they have pics of him in the photo album wearing like a hazmat suit or something similar.  I believe i was 5.

The first major event I remember was the crackdown on the Tiananmen Square protests, of all things when I was in kindergarten. I also remember the first Gulf War, because we were supposed to pay attention to it in second grade, although I think that went way beyond what a child of that age could comprehend. I remember the Branch Davidian fire because it happened on my tenth birthday and the Oklahoma City bombing happened on my twelfth birthday. For a while, I dreaded my birthday, because it seemed like bad things seemed to happen on it. I don't remember the Challenger Disaster, but my dad was friends with one of the astronauts, Ron McNair. I'm told I met him, but I would have been under three when that happened, so I don't remember him.

one of the first event i remember is Pricess D death. i remember because i was watchig a tv show and they stop it for the news, i was really pissed of, then the usa presidential with i think al gore, then some italian thing, and 9/11

2 hours ago, MayMay1123 said:

the first big thing i can remember is the moon landing ::sob:: i'm really old LOL

I remember MLK, but interestingly, not RFK. Next big thing would have been the Moon Landing when I was all of 6. 

#old

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Mine is Elvis's death. I feel old. I really can't grasp that there are adults who don't remember 9/11.

I was at summer camp when Elvis died. No social media, let alone even TV, I found out via a letter from my best friend! I ended up being the bearer of sad news. 

30 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

I am aged as well...

We got all of our really important news from our super cool FM radio stations. (you did not listen to AM radio after junior high, you just didn't). We were almost to school (11th grade) when they interrupted (probably a great Styx or Queen song...) to report about John Lennon. It was surreal. That is my earliest big news memory. 

They interrupted Monday Night Football to announce John Lennon! I was a teenager and pay homage at Strawberry Fields everytime I go to NYC. 

I remember vaguely Jessica falling down a well 

I remember vividly the Baby M story 

I remember more on too close for comfort the mother giving birth when she was like 40 :D

and Bobby dying on Dallas 

the ending of V that was pop culture 

the rest are real 

I remember Columbine vividly - I know where I was 

Princess Diana dying crushed me - I VIVIDLY remember where I was and how old I was 

9-11 I remember VIVIDLY and will never forget 

Nancy Kerrigan 
Reagan scared me because he was so into nuclear war 

I remember all of these things!  Shit, I am so old. I remember my Dad yelling upstairs to my mum that the president had been shot. I was very, very young, not much more than an embryo. (Ok. I was seven), but I do remember it. (Kennedy, of course. At least it wasn't Lincoln, amiright?)

3 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

I remember all of these things!  Shit, I am so old. I remember my Dad yelling upstairs to my mum that the president had been shot. I was very, very young, not much more than an embryo. (Ok. I was seven), but I do remember it. (Kennedy, of course. At least it wasn't Lincoln, amiright?)

You got to experience defining moments in history, I think is pretty cool. My earliest memory of an event like that is Princess Di's funeral and I don't remember that much just Wills and Harry walking.. I do remember very much 9/11, I was sick at the waiting room at the doctor's office and my mom was filling out insurance papers, the tv in the room switched to the broadcast of the plane hitting the world trade center and I yelled "moooom! Look!" I was shocked. 

3 hours ago, elvirajane said:

My first news memory was 9/11. I was very young at that time but I guess that is the kind of news that sticks in the memory.

Me too. I was about 20 but my partner woke me up and i still do this day swear he said terrorists have taken over America  (he insisted he said attacked) and i recall thinking how the fuck did they do that. Very confusing at 6am. That and Diana's death.

I remember standing in my parent's home as a pre-schooler watching JFK's funeral procession.

I was eighteen when 9/11 happened and a week into my first semester in college--having newly moved from the midwest to the east coast. One of my dorm mates woke me up by saying a plane had hit the world trade center, and we all went into the common room to watch. I remember that we thought it was an accident until the second plane hit, and then we all knew and ran to telephone our families, at which point (being in a major naval city), the telephone lines went out. (Someone informed me later on that this is protocol for D.C. and the surrounding area to open up lines for military communication and whatnot). In any case, that's when it went from "bad day" to "pants-shittingly terrifying." By October I had developed some sort of stress-related gastro-intestinal problem. 

Interestingly, I do "remember" watching some children in Palestine "celebrating" the event on CNN. To this day, I don't know if that memory really happened or was the result of suggestion, because I know there's a lot of controversy over those sorts of claims. :my_confused:

3 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Interestingly, I do "remember" watching some children in Palestine "celebrating" the event on CNN. To this day, I don't know if that memory really happened or was the result of suggestion, because I know there's a lot of controversy over those sorts of claims. :my_confused:

I was seventeen when 9/11 happened, and I clearly remember CNN continually cutting to some footage of small kids in Palestine "celebrating." So the playing of the footage definitely happened. However, those kids could have been at a damn birthday party for all I know. All these years later, I've never seen anyone definitely prove that the footage was of people celebrating the attacks.

So I'm young, and can't remember much. I do know that 9/11 was my first day of preschool, and while I don't exactly remember that day, I do remember everyone wearing patriot clothes in the following days. 

I guess my first news story would be everything with Osama Bin Laden, when I was in elementary school. Since violence is sadly so common now, nothing vividly sticks out. Although, I do remember a news story about a girl who had the hiccups for over a year straight. I think I read somewhere that she went on to kill someone or something. 

Maybe I just have a bad memory. Or it could be that the only news I watched when I was young was 60 minutes, and that was just for Andy Rooney. 

Just now, nausicaa said:

I was seventeen when 9/11 happened, and I clearly remember CNN continually cutting to some footage of small kids in Palestine "celebrating." So the playing of the footage definitely happened. However, those kids could have been at a damn birthday party for all I know. All these years later, I've never seen anyone definitely prove that the footage was of people celebrating the attacks.

It really could have been anything, or at the very least, children reacting the way children do when they're taking the cue of people around them. Even at the time I thought that I'd probably celebrate too if a country I felt (correctly or incorrectly, I'm not going to go there :hand:) oppressed my family and me was attacked, so I can't really blame them if they were. 

I was very young when columbine happened, but I was aware of it. I absolutely remember 9/11. I was 12, old enough to understand what was happening, but not old enough to understand the implications thereof.

The first event I specifically remember watching on the news was the fall of the Berlin Wall.

I watched the news before that, though. When I was like three years old or so, my parents would watch while I played, and they assumed I wasn't paying attention... until they realized I had named one of my stuffed animals Dan Rather and another one Russian Leader. :pb_lol:

Anyone remember Steven Slater causing that JetBlue incident in 2010? I mentioned it in my old diary, but I wrote the wrong name. I thought it was crazy and funny.

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

The first event I specifically remember watching on the news was the fall of the Berlin Wall.

1989 was an amazing year.

21 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I was eighteen when 9/11 happened and a week into my first semester in college--having newly moved from the midwest to the east coast. One of my dorm mates woke me up by saying a plane had hit the world trade center, and we all went into the common room to watch. I remember that we thought it was an accident until the second plane hit, and then we all knew and ran to telephone our families, at which point (being in a major naval city), the telephone lines went out. (Someone informed me later on that this is protocol for D.C. and the surrounding area to open up lines for military communication and whatnot). In any case, that's when it went from "bad day" to "pants-shittingly terrifying." By October I had developed some sort of stress-related gastro-intestinal problem. 

I was also a freshman in college when 9/11 happened. I turned on the TV in my dorm room to watch Divorce Court (I'm not going to lie, Judge Maybelline was awesome) and it had been pre-empted by news footage of the WTC on fire. Like most of America, I was totally shocked and transfixed. However, because I'm a giant nerd, I went to an individual study session I had with a professor and acted like nothing had happened; later this professor expressed surprise that I had still gone to class, given what had happened. In any case, by the time I left his office, the campus was plastered with red emergency flyers indicating that all classes had been cancelled for the day and everyone was walking around, crying and dazed. I remember 9/11 so well that it makes me feel old to know there are young adults who don't remember it at all. This is also why I don't get why older millennials like myself are grouped in with teenagers and young adults born in the late 90s/00s, but I guess that's for another discussion.

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

I saw two people celebrating - but they were white supremacists, and they were excited because they knew that this was going to lead to some type of war against brown people. I will never forget one of them turning to look me in the eye (we all happened to be in an on-campus cafe) and telling me that now we were going to go "bomb the r**h**ds and the s**dn*****s." It was one of the most chilling moments of my life.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived