IGNORED

Dillards 27 - Allergies, Fever, and the Dangers of Being a White Baby

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I liked this and agree for the most part. However, I'm a recent NICU Mom myself - my daughter was (thankfully) born around 34 weeks into my pregnancy. I saw babies in NICU as young as Baby @PennySycamore was at the time. Yes, they aren't trapped in a pipe the way Jessica was - but children born that young can still end up fighting for their lives, even with all the advances in technology and knowledge there have been the past 30 years. I know you were really addressing the negligence aspect and I'm glad you helped clarify, but I don't think it's entirely fair to assume anything about the condition of Penny's child at that specific time.

ETA: Not sure when you joined up, but welcome! :) 

There's not a baby alive who was born at 26 weeks gestation and DIDN'T fight for their life. In 1987, far more so. No 26 weeker pops out and goes home in a week, not a one. Growing lung tissue to sustain breath and life is hard, hard work.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

The Tylenol murders completely ruined Halloween. The media went "OMG! Stuff can be tampered with! We never knew!" Lots of people who would normally have given out candy or taken their kids trick or treating didn't. My mom was so mad at the foolishness.

I know!  Every time I try to get into an aspirin bottle, medicine bottle, calcium supplement bottle, I bitch about it because these damned things are locked down better than Fort Knox.  As I'm going through one wrapper, obstacle at a time, many times I say "F you Tylenol killer" and thank God that I don't have arthritis. Yet.

18 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

Waco is the first big thing I really remember.  I remember going into the library and watching the raid.  I kind of remember baby Jessica but I wasn't really into it.

the first big thing i can remember is the moon landing ::sob:: i'm really old LOL

I think the first major news event I can remember is the Oklahoma City Bombing. Then Jon Benet Ramsey and O.J. Simpson.

Is it strange that my first real news memory is hearing that Lucien Bouchard had flesh eating disease? I didn't know what it was at the time. I have no idea why that stuck with me! 

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

Is it strange that my first real news memory is hearing that Lucien Bouchard had flesh eating disease? I didn't know what it was at the time. I have no idea why that stuck with me! 

Lucien Bouchard had flesh eating disease?! Okay, I just looked it up. I feel like maybe I knew about it once, but if I did I forgot. Definitely didn't know at the time. Wow. I guess since my news-related memories started in 1995 I missed that one.

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

Lucien Bouchard had flesh eating disease?! Okay, I just looked it up. I feel like maybe I knew about it once, but if I did I forgot. Definitely didn't know at the time. Wow. I guess since my news-related memories started in 1995 I missed that one.

We are about the same time. That one was from December of 1994. Yeah, it's the strangest thing. 

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

We are about the same time. That one was from December of 1994. Yeah, it's the strangest thing. 

I think (based on some things you've mentioned and assuming the 88 in your username refers to your birth year) we're pretty much exactly the same age. So that makes sense. You're clearly a better Canadian than I am, though, because my earliest current events memories are of American incidents and yours is of Lucien Bouchard, lol!

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

I think (based on some things you've mentioned and assuming the 88 in your username refers to your birth year) we're pretty much exactly the same age. So that makes sense. You're clearly a better Canadian than I am, though, because my earliest current events memories are of American incidents and yours is of Lucien Bouchard, lol!

Haha yep! I feel like I pestered my parents for a while about that one but I don't think they gave me the answer. 

My first news memory was 9/11. I was very young at that time but I guess that is the kind of news that sticks in the memory.

I would jump in here and tell you that I am so old, I have an autographed copy of the Bible..... but you wouldn't believe me.....

Yeah my first news memory is watching the planes hit the second trade tower. I was pretty young and I thought it was a movie at first because didn't understand.  I remember being so shocked that someone could hate strangers that badly

I had a 19-year-old co-op student a couple years ago who couldn't remember the Boxing Day tsunami, and I feel like that just happened last year. In 2013 I sat beside a girl on the train to Montreal who had just finished her first year of high school. We started talking about music and she said, "I like really good old songs, like 'I Gotta Feeling' by the Black Eyed Peas!"

I got on the bus a while back, and it was just after school got out for the day so it was full of teenagers. I looked around and thought to myself, "Besides the driver, I am definitely the only one on this bus who remembers 9/11."

One of the first news stories I can remember off the top of my head is the Quebec referendum of 1995. My parents had the news on and my dad was pacing around the living room as the results came in.

Then the OJ Simpson trial. And then probably Princess Diana's death and funeral.

April 3, 1974 worse tornado outbreak ever until April 27, 2011.
Iran hostage crisis.
Reagan's assassination attempt
John Lennon killed
Space Shuttle Challenger explosion

Omg @Carm_88, I had forgotten about the Lucien Bouchard thing! I definitely remember hearing about it though. 

After racking my brain for various news events from childhood, then googling them to see what happened when lol, it seems my earliest news-ish memory would be when the loonie ($1 Canadian coin, non-Canucks) was introduced. That was in 1987. Other things I recall were Jim Henson dying (1990) and Kim Campbell becoming the first female, though extremely temporary, prime minister (1993). I feel like I have an extremely vague memory of the Challenger disaster (1986), but it's so vague I really don't know if it's from then or later.

I was born in 1982.  I really thought the Tylenol deaths were much later, because I remember my mom being TOTALLY paranoid about that. Like I have a really clear memory of it, way clearer than the Challenger, but I was apparently only 13 days old when that started! However, my mom was a helicopter parent before that was a thing, so it's not out of character for her to have dwelled on it for years.

I was born on the exact day and year of Nicole Brown Simpson's murder (June 12, 1994). My mom was upset because my middle name's Nicole and they'd given it to me before they saw the news. Twenty-two years later and the Orlando nightclub massacre happens...I'm not big on celebrating birthdays anyway...

I teach 19/20 year olds and it has weirded me out that there's no way they remember 9/11.  I'm supposedly among the oldest of the millennials, and I had just graduated from high school and moved away from home then. But I also remember life before the internet -- getting it in school in 6th grade was so amazing! First news memories were the First Gulf War (I had a cousin serving in it, and my family would watch the news coverage every night) followed by the Rodney King riots. 

I love this thread drift! I have such a patchy knowledge of what counted as current events for about 15 years before the early 90s -- things we were never taught in school but happened before I was aware of the world.  I was swearing this morning when I was forced to tear off the seal to my shampoo bottle with my teeth when I was already soapy in the shower -- now I too can curse the Tylenol murderer! 

I remember the Monica Lewinsky scandal very vaguely, and I remember watching the whole 2000 presidential election insanity, but not really understanding it too well. 9/11 was really the first major news event I remember watching and halfway knowing what the hell was going on (I was 9 at the time).

21 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I had a 19-year-old co-op student a couple years ago who couldn't remember the Boxing Day tsunami, and I feel like that just happened last year. In 2013 I sat beside a girl on the train to Montreal who had just finished her first year of high school. We started talking about music and she said, "I like really good old songs, like 'I Gotta Feeling' by the Black Eyed Peas!"

I got on the bus a while back, and it was just after school got out for the day so it was full of teenagers. I looked around and thought to myself, "Besides the driver, I am definitely the only one on this bus who remembers 9/11."

I will never forget the Boxing Day Tsunami, I was doing World Geography and our teacher made us memorize all about the Tsunami. Sure enough it was on our provincial exam. And I know, I look at kids now and I think, oh my god, you weren't even born when 9/11 happened. I was in 8th grade! 

@Jiraffe The $2 bills becoming the toonie is one of my big memories! 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived