IGNORED

Maxwells 59: On the Road Again

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

Comments have been disabled for this post.

Hi Stevie! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13

I hope people at their talks ask them about Sarah's & Marys weddings, and Mary's and Annaʻs college careers. 

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 16
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

So which of his kids is pissing Steve off today?

We don’t understand how a person could live in garbage, yet how many professing Christians do exactly that – spiritual and moral garbage that is. The internet and TV will stream filth right to your ears and eyeballs – all one could lust for and more. It might be moral filth, or Disney witchcraft, or the sensuality du jour. 

Disney witchcraft? Oh, brother. 

• Upvote 11
  • Eyeroll 4
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Just now, molecule said:

So which of his kids is pissing Steve off today?

We don’t understand how a person could live in garbage, yet how many professing Christians do exactly that – spiritual and moral garbage that is. The internet and TV will stream filth right to your ears and eyeballs – all one could lust for and more. It might be moral filth, or Disney witchcraft, or the sensuality du jour. 

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Joe let’s his kids watch a few of the tamer Disney movies. 

• Upvote 18

@molecule,  maybe one of the grandkids caught the classic The Three Lives of Thomasina.  These's this great scene where Thomasina goes up to Cat Heaven after Mr McDuie cannot save here after she been run over.  Thomasina is his daughter's beloved cat. 

Then there's the character of Lori, a wise woman who lives in the Glen.  You can catch a glimpse of Lori right at the end of the Bastet scene.  Lori realizes that Thomasina is not dead, merely injured and takes Thomasina back to her cottage so that she can rest.  Most people think that Lori is a witch which is how people thought of women who had healing and herbal knowledge.  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Joe let’s his kids watch a few of the tamer Disney movies. 

What about John and Chelsy? Too liberal? 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I was picturing someone decorating a nursery with an Elsa theme. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

Maybe Kory and Sarah have a TV. With Netflix. And Prime. And Kory watches football.

• Upvote 20
  • Haha 2

“Not GOING to a conference - it appears they ARE the conference, though it isn't showing up on the church's website yet so I can't confirm that.”

Ack! Yes, you are right about that.  I had just read the post about them presenting at a NC church and thought it was a bigger conference.  But it does look like it’s just them presenting over 1 1/2 days … and I still think it is an effort to sell off as much of their printed materials as possible that are just gathering dust in the basement!  And perhaps they purposely scheduled it over Anna’s spring break so that she is free to join them and help out?  And maybe the church didn’t formally seek them out and invite them, instead S & T reached out and asked if they could offer presentation (free of charge) to church members and other attendees in return for not having to pay for use of the space?  Interesting church choice, but maybe Teri heard about it through her current work on their Kansas church Mission Committee, and thought they would be receptive to allowing them to visit and present.  

I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear their responses if people ask about sending kids to college (don’t their books/ writings look down on college education?), how older children should meet eligible suitors ( don’t their books/ writings encourage keeping kids close to home, parents involvement with suitors, no online dating, etc), and other things.  Wonder if the church members are a bit more progressive than S & T and will see their ways as oppressive and too restrictive.

• Upvote 14

6 hours ago, marmalade said:

What about John and Chelsy? Too liberal? 

Chelsy doesn’t seem to be afraid of Steve or Teri.  Gotta love that spirit!

• Upvote 13

Love that the Maxgals continue to be ABC adverts: image.thumb.png.7c2c8e4e5a4ee8f3b5fed322187b4976.png

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 13

I'm imaging that Kory and Sarah are having a Super Bowl party for their friends and all of Kory's family. This will be a large potluck party with lots of wonderful food.

Sarah who has learned to cook normally since she married (intervention by Kory's mom, sisters and her SILs) is working on a delicious menu that includes spicy meat burritos.

Suck it Stevie-boy.  A TV and an abundance of great food.

Oh my ..... talk about living in garbage.

• Upvote 20
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Granwych said:

Chelsy doesn’t seem to be afraid of Steve or Teri.  Gotta love that spirit!

But Chelsy’s problem is that she seems to not shun that many Bontrager rules. She still seems to carry on with their crunchier woo loving beliefs. 

Anna is listed: 

CA11477B-1DDC-49BA-9AFD-07C02970F886.jpeg

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 9

Did Mary make the ABC President's List before? I'm concerned that she's dropped out to become a full-time pastor's wife.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Did Mary make the ABC President's List before? I'm concerned that she's dropped out to become a full-time pastor's wife.

Thought they both previously made the Presidentʻs List, at least once or twice. They seem to be good students.

AFAIK, Maryʻs status -- still enrolled, dropped out or possibly graduated -- isnʻt clear. Depending on what degree & major she has pursued and what courses she has left to take, she could finish up with a hybrid program.

• Upvote 13

7 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I think it’s a real possibility. 

• Upvote 11

17 hours ago, molecule said:

Wait how do I get in on that? Tomorrow's Imbolc, after all...

Oh wait, I do have three Disney tarot decks, so there is that. (For the record, the Disney decks I have - Nightmare before Christmas, Alice in Wonderland, and Villains - are lovely to look at but not good for readings.) 

Maybe Steve is confused and thinks Disney has rights to Harry Potter? That's Universal, Steve. 

15 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Maybe Kory and Sarah have a TV. With Netflix. And Prime. And Kory watches football.

I hope Sarah (and Anna and Mary) are enjoying themselves and familiarizing themselves with lots of great movies they never got to see. Even if they only watch the G rated ones there's still a lot they've missed becaause of Steve's oppression. 

14 hours ago, Hellothere said:

I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear their responses if people ask about sending kids to college (don’t their books/ writings look down on college education?), how older children should meet eligible suitors ( don’t their books/ writings encourage keeping kids close to home, parents involvement with suitors, no online dating, etc), and other things.  Wonder if the church members are a bit more progressive than S & T and will see their ways as oppressive and too restrictive.

I'm definitely not one to touch the poop. But if I had unlimited time and was bored I could see showing up for an hour or two just to see how they go over.

I'd be debating heavily, though, about which option to go with...

Option 1: dress as fundie-approved as I can manage (I think I might have a long skirt tucked away somewhere) and fawn over them going on about how thrilled I am to see their daughters enjoying college and marriage SO MUCH and how they just look SO happy all the time now, enjoying a church with praise songs and participating in sports and attending events and hanging out with friends, and isn't it just WONDERFUL? 

or Option 2: dress as goth/witchy as I can manage and sit in the back obviously taking notes, occasionally making odd signs with my hands as if to cast a hex, take care to speak low and spooky when I speak, and ask Steve to please sign a book for me? The book being one about escaping fundamentalism, of course.

I think Option 1 would be best, would probably blow their minds, and might maybe make Teri having a fleeting thought about how wow, yeah, her daughters are much happier now... nope. That thought was not on the schedule. Not allowed to ponder it, pondering isn't until 6 am tomorrow and then only the Bible is scheduled to be pondered. Steve might literally have steam come out his ears. Like in the cartoons his kids weren't allowed to watch.

I think in reality though, I'm going to go with Option 3. Go on with my own life and hope someone from the church posts about the events, and if they do I'll get out the popcorn. 

• Upvote 15

I wonder if Steve will post a recap of the conference afterwards. That always seemed to be Sarah's job.

Out of curiosity, I checked the blog and, assuming no data have been purged, the last family conference they put on was an Energize Family Conference in 2018 in Arkansas.

After 2018, various family members seem to have attended conferences but did not put them on anywhere.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 7

6 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I hope Sarah (and Anna and Mary) are enjoying themselves and familiarizing themselves with lots of great movies they never got to see. Even if they only watch the G rated ones there's still a lot they've missed becaause of Steve's oppression. 

I grew up in a home where we had TV (but most channels/ shows were off limits) but going to movie theaters was right out. I spent years as a young adult catching up on the movies everyone else around me knew and referenced. It took a long time to get "caught up."

• Upvote 7
  • Love 7

29 minutes ago, Bethy said:

I grew up in a home where we had TV (but most channels/ shows were off limits) but going to movie theaters was right out. I spent years as a young adult catching up on the movies everyone else around me knew and referenced. It took a long time to get "caught up."

I’m at the opposite end of the spectrum. I actually know almost all the references people make when it comes to TV and movies. I’m the one who always has to explain the obscure tv reference. Because I’ve watched many tv shows and movies well before my time. And many people my age have little interest in very old movies.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m at the opposite end of the spectrum. I actually know almost all the references people make when it comes to TV and movies. I’m the one who always has to explain the obscure tv reference. Because I’ve watched many tv shows and movies well before my time. And many people my age have little interest in very old movies.

Same with me. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I wonder if Steve and Teri are bored now that they have no one living at home. Perhaps they are going to do a few conferences for something to do. They don’t let them selves do any entertaining things so I imagine this allows them to travel and do something without any guilt. 

• Upvote 12

1 hour ago, Brittany15 said:

I wonder if Steve and Teri are bored now that they have no one living at home. Perhaps they are going to do a few conferences for something to do. They don’t let them selves do any entertaining things so I imagine this allows them to travel and do something without any guilt. 

I wonder if they still go to Colorado in August and do that big hike Sara used to post about in the blog.

• Upvote 8

On 2/1/2024 at 9:31 AM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

A TV and an abundance of great food.

...and sports.  SPORTS!!!!!!!11!!!!. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 8