IGNORED

Dillards 27 - Allergies, Fever, and the Dangers of Being a White Baby

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

eta: I went to SOS's site to see if they had any information about when they started (they didn't). But I found this gem of a baptism, featuring Mr. Dullard in all his hirsute glory. 

http://www.soshope.org/about/news/

Five posts in seven years?! Those are some lazy-ass missionary bloggers.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, patsymae said:

It would never occur to them that people who live in relative or actual poverty have rich lives with family, friends, socializing, interests, music, art, crafts, activities they enjoy, etc. They need Americans to come down (and apparently in busses with armed guards) to give them a little joy in the bleakness.

Jill I can understand because that's what she got from her family inducting her at (I think it's age 10?) into their "mission trips." Derrick should know better.

If I remember correctly, Jill said one of her purposes was to give these people "hope." I think these idiots are not only of course the dumb-ass zealots who want to introduce Catholics to Christianity, but that they truly believe that just their mere presence in the midst of what they perceive as despair is a "blessing" to the "neighbors" they refuse to learn how to communicate with.

Absolutely!

This reminds me of those awful patronising "Hope for the Hope less" shirts they wear on these mission trips. It's so insulting to go to ANOTHER COUNTRY and brand the people "hope less" 

Central America has its problems, but that doesn't mean that people in Central America live in a perpetual state of "hopeless misery" and don't have meaningful lives, relationships, interests and social activities. Yes, they deal with a lot of problems that make their lives more difficult, but it doesn't mean their lives are completely devoid of happiness except for the moments the white saviours come in and give them some crayons and bible tracts. 

And if they do need some "hope", it is hope for actual meaningful things they need, like a reduction in the violence levels in their country, things they are well beyond Jilly Muffin and De-wreck's paygrade. 

boob.jpg

7 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Five posts in seven years?! Those are some lazy-ass missionary bloggers.

They obviously don't know Grifting 101. Post, post, post!

15 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Derick is crazy. I guess Jill is too. I can't imagine that people who already have a Christian religion would listen to this stuff. So weird.

Shouldn't it be easier to convert people that are closer to your belives though? Like ”they already belive in Jesus, lets teach them to do it right and be just like us!”

Shouldn't in be harder to convert a hindu or an atheist? It feels like the step from catholic christian to different kind of christian should be shorter.

10 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I just checked Wikipedia and El Salvador is 47% Catholic, 33% Protestant and it said that the number of Evangelicals is growing rapidly. They did not mention the Dullards. So maybe they just mostly bother the Protestants. In any case, they are putting their child and future child at risk for their nonsense.

I'm trying to edit and making mistakes. Sorry.

It must be working then. :my_angel:

11 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

And on the topic of Spanish.....I grew up speaking fluent Spanish and I know the language has some tricky things to get right (like the subjunctive), but it's really not that hard to get to a conversational level if you are willing to put in a few hours study a week. I tutor University students in Spanish and after 2/3 years, people who came to me only being able to say "hola"' are conversational. Sure, they're not perfect and might be a little broken/have an accent and make some mild grammar mistakes, but they can get by and make themselves understood. And these students generally have other subjects to work on and part time jobs. I don't know what Jill and De-wrecks excuses are.....)

I think part of it (for Jill) might be that she never got a proper education in english. I enjoy studying languages for fun and have studied 8 languages at some point in my life.

The knowledge of grammar i got at school really helps. I bet when the tutor says something to the effect of "The verb follows the pronoun and is conjugated in the 3rd person of the singular" Jill can't even understand half of the words in that sentence. So she is left with trying to learn the language by pure immersion, which is not really a viable method past 3 years of age.

16 minutes ago, elvirajane said:

So she is left with trying to learn the language by pure immersion, which is not really a viable method past 3 years of age.

In addition, immersion would require that she leave the compound more frequently and try and interact with native speakers. 

51 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

Shouldn't it be easier to convert people that are closer to your belives though?

It probably is, which is why John Shrader freaked out when he ended up living next to Muslims. You would think that as a missionary he would have been thrilled, but no, he moved as quickly as possible away from them and didn't seem at any time to try to convert them. In trying to convert Christians to Christianity, these missionaries are trying to find the easiest way to appear to convert people. 

35 minutes ago, elvirajane said:

I think part of it (for Jill) might be that she never got a proper education in english. I enjoy studying languages for fun and have studied 8 languages at some point in my life.

The knowledge of grammar i got at school really helps. I bet when the tutor says something to the effect of "The verb follows the pronoun and is conjugated in the 3rd person of the singular" Jill can't even understand half of the words in that sentence. So she is left with trying to learn the language by pure immersion, which is not really a viable method past 3 years of age.

My Spanish skills are pretty poor so this may be off but Jill sounds  better than D-wreck. At least from the limited amount they've shown. I know she had some "lessons" from Marjorie's mom, right? But to me that shows laziness on D-wreck's part as his entire goal is communicating with people and he has not shown the ability to do so in their language. 

17 minutes ago, Snarkle Motion said:

But to me that shows laziness on D-wreck's part as his entire goal is communicating with people and he has not shown the ability to do so in their language. 

D-wreck is busy studying the bible. He can't be doing EVERYTHING at once!

37 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

It probably is, which is why John Shrader freaked out when he ended up living next to Muslims. You would think that as a missionary he would have been thrilled, but no, he moved as quickly as possible away from them and didn't seem at any time to try to convert them.

Part of it was probably deeply ingrained racism. He thought that muslims were dangerous and could hurt him if he tried to convert them.

Catholics he is familiar with from Arkansas; much less of a threat (in his mind).

1 hour ago, elvirajane said:

You definitely have a fair point. It is much easier to learn a language if you understand grammatical terms in your native language and are able to relate the things you are learning to your own language. This is something Jill would struggle with given her SOTDRT education.

However that said, determination and a willingness to learn can overcome that. As someone who does 'teach' language (albeit not as a qualified teacher but as a naive speaker who tutors), I've worked with students who went to very low performing schools who didn't know this stuff, but it is not that difficult to learn what a pronoun or an infinitive is if you set your mind to it. And as someone who has learned a language from 'scratch', most resources and classes will explain what these things are. Even though I knew what they were, I remember having them explained to the class/in books when I learned French. Most language classes/resources assume no knowledge, in my experience.

If Jilly Muffin was serious about learning Spanish, she'd be a lot better than she is now.

3 minutes ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

, I've worked with students who went to very low performing schools who didn't know this stuff, but it is not that difficult to learn what a pronoun or an infinitive is if you set your mind to it. If Jilly Muffin was serious about learning Spanish, she'd be a lot better than she is now.

Except i doubt Marjorie's mother identified this difficulty and taught her what it is.

13 minutes ago, elvirajane said:

Except i doubt Marjorie's mother identified this difficulty and taught her what it is.

Oh for sure. I was just saying that a poor elementary education is not an insurmountable  barrier to someone becoming proficient in a language, provided that they are willing to put in the time and fill in the gaps and learn about grammar so they understand it. 

1 hour ago, Snarkle Motion said:

My Spanish skills are pretty poor so this may be off but Jill sounds  better than D-wreck. At least from the limited amount they've shown. I know she had some "lessons" from Marjorie's mom, right? But to me that shows laziness on D-wreck's part as his entire goal is communicating with people and he has not shown the ability to do so in their language. 

Her accent is better. I think he has better grasp of the language though. I've heard him speak in sentences. With Jill it's usually 2 words and directed at Izzy-who obviously does not respond back. 

Didn't Marjorie's mom give Jill flash cards? Jill's idea of Spanish was learning the names of things. I don't think she ever proceeded beyond that point. Also, when JB kept proclaiming that Jill could speak Spanish and tried to encourage Jill to speak in public, she would refuse...only time I ever saw Jill refuse to comply to a JB request. IMO, she did not retain much from those lessons.

4 hours ago, elvirajane said:

It goes the other way too. I learned a lot about English grammar from studying other languages! I don't think I could have told you what the English subjunctive tense was until I had to learn the subjunctive in French.

About trying to convert catholics: I'm from dangerous South America. In my country, in 1980, 89% of people were catholics, and 6% were protestants. In 2010, 64% were catholics, and 22% were protestants. I did a research about the main protestant denominations here, and all of them started with american missionaries. So, at least in here, it's kind of working.

33 minutes ago, IzzyM said:

About trying to convert catholics: I'm from dangerous South America. In my country, in 1980, 89% of people were catholics, and 6% were protestants. In 2010, 64% were catholics, and 22% were protestants. I did a research about the main protestant denominations here, and all of them started with american missionaries. So, at least in here, it's kind of working.

That's interesting. I grew up in a mainline Protestant denomination in the US. Our church had an official position (that was practiced) that stated it's counterproductive to try and convert other versions of Christianity. I'm certain that's not completely uncommon. But then I also knew some baptist missionaries who went to Guatemala. 

7 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Absolutely!

This reminds me of those awful patronising "Hope for the Hope less" shirts they wear on these mission trips. It's so insulting to go to ANOTHER COUNTRY and brand the people "hope less"

OMG, I'd never seen those teeshirts before. W.T.F.??? God, that is so cringeworthy and embarrassing for the U.S. I'm sorry people of Central America. Honestly, I'm really sorry. 

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Hope for the hopeless? That is beyond arrogant.

Arrogance, thy name is Jim Bob.

On 3/9/2017 at 0:12 PM, feministxtian said:

it's just east of Evansville...in Warrick County. Umm...the county line is somewhere near I-164 and State Route 66. I lived even further east, closer to the Warrick/Spencer County line, near the ALCOA plant.

I'm really amused. I was born in a different area of the country but I went to high school in Newburgh and college in a nearby area (you can probably guess). I personally found it pretty sleepy and boring, but wouldn't necessarily call it "bassackwards". It's a good place to raise a family. Just not a lot going on. I wouldn't disagree that Jill and Derrick would be ok there, though. 

The movie "A League of Their Own" was filmed nearby and if I remember correctly, Madonna lived in Newburgh during the filming and called it the "arm pit of America." 

17 minutes ago, sparklymagie said:

I'm really amused. I was born in a different area of the country but I went to high school in Newburgh and college in a nearby area (you can probably guess). I personally found it pretty sleepy and boring, but wouldn't necessarily call it "bassackwards". It's a good place to raise a family. Just not a lot going on. I wouldn't disagree that Jill and Derrick would be ok there, though. 

The movie "A League of Their Own" was filmed nearby and if I remember correctly, Madonna lived in Newburgh during the filming and called it the "arm pit of America." 

Oh dear! We had a big old satellite dish in our yard (no cable in Yankeetown) and a friend of mine was all concerned that there was radiation bombarding our house from the dish. I lived there from 1989 to 1997. It blew me away that there were stoplights on the "expressway". 

My stepdaughters graduated from the same high school in Newburgh and my X went to that college (the purple one). "A League of Their Own" baseball scenes were filmed at Reitz field in E'ville. The only upside of living there was the judge who wouldn't take my X's shit when we went to court for our divorce...my lawyer was Dennis Dewey. 

Newburgh, IN? OMG there's a great Mediterranean eatery in Old Newburgh, Café Arazu. Highly recommend it if you're ever in the hood.  On a nice day, try the patio. It overlooks the Ohio River and you can sit under a grape arbor thingy. 

Highly highly highly recommend it. Also a spiffy antique store a few doors down -- at least there was when I was there. 

15 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Oh dear! We had a big old satellite dish in our yard (no cable in Yankeetown) and a friend of mine was all concerned that there was radiation bombarding our house from the dish. I lived there from 1989 to 1997. It blew me away that there were stoplights on the "expressway". 

My stepdaughters graduated from the same high school in Newburgh and my X went to that college (the purple one). "A League of Their Own" baseball scenes were filmed at Reitz field in E'ville. The only upside of living there was the judge who wouldn't take my X's shit when we went to court for our divorce...my lawyer was Dennis Dewey. 

I was in Newburgh from about 1997 to 2004. The stoplights on the "expressway" always got me too! I went to the purple college too! Met my husband there! My parents are still there due to my Dad's work, and we occasionally go to visit (usually about once a year).  It's still pretty quiet and sleepy, but growing.

8 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Newburgh, IN? OMG there's a great Mediterranean eatery in Old Newburgh, Café Arazu. Highly recommend it if you're ever in the hood.  On a nice day, try the patio. It overlooks the Ohio River and you can sit under a grape arbor thingy. 

Highly highly highly recommend it. Also a spiffy antique store a few doors down -- at least there was when I was there. 

I think that's one of my parents' favorites!

13 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

That must be new...in the last 20 years. I know where you're talking about...there was a little shopping area off Newburgh Rd. next to the river. I have absolutely no intention of ever going back to Newburgh...I'd end up in the Warrick County jail after I beat the shit out of my X. 

31 minutes ago, sparklymagie said:

I was in Newburgh from about 1997 to 2004. The stoplights on the "expressway" always got me too! I went to the purple college too! Met my husband there! My parents are still there due to my Dad's work, and we occasionally go to visit (usually about once a year).  It's still pretty quiet and sleepy, but growing.

Ok...you moved there about the same time I left. The last time I was there was like 2006 when my X decided to quit paying child support b/c our son didn't want to go visit him...so I took his ass to court and he had to cough up serious money...it was right after they built the new courthouse in Boonville. 

I saw that it had grown up a lot...the only thing I REALLY miss is Shylers....their stuffed baked potatoes are to DIE for! Is it still there? If I remember it was at the corner of Washington and Green River, just south of 66. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived