IGNORED

Stupid shit on FaceBook

Shirley Blest

Right now I have a openly gay friend from church and my fundie cousin duking it out on Facebook. Gay friend is winning. How did the fight start? Over a tornado video. Yep, over something as random as that. How that delved into a fight over LGBT rights? I forgot and don't care to read through all the comments. I might end up joining the fight (on the side of my friend) if I do.

My bet: fundie cousin said something about a tornado being the wrath of God. Sodom and Gomorrah may have been referenced.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of those posts where I think to myself, "Should I tell you that you are stupid before I de-friend you?"

Holy crap!!! Did you hear about the white police officer, Officer Moore, that was shot in the line of duty by a black man?

Afterward all of the police officers ran into the streets and started throwing homemade bombs and bricks at innocent people. They threw things into business windows and started looting and burning buildings and local family owned companies. They attacked each other and turned cars over and blew them up. They put a bunch of people in the hospital and injured dozens that had NOTHING to do with any of it.........oh wait, no they didn't do that. They don't do that.

Think about it.....

And it is "smug mommy day" on Facebook. Yay. My very favorite.

Posting a Mother's Day greeting to your own mother: fine. Do it. It is lovely. I may click like if I know your mother.

Posting a self congratulatory post about yourself as a mother: please stop. You are just being arrogant.

Samples of what not to do, all present on my FB feed today:

Post something with the bold headline "A TRIBUTE TO MY MOM" that is above a picture of yourself with your child and is a smarmy over the top piece about how you know how wonderful it is to be a mom and how much it has made you a better human and how great a mom you personally are, then close with "happy mother's day, Mom" and tag her. You did not write about her. You congratulated yourself.

Post a sentimental piece of slop accompanied by baby pictures of your children about how you knew nothing about how to live including how to do basic tasks that adult humans with or without children should be able to handle (sewing a button, cooking a meal, cleaning a house, etc...) until you had them in your life. You should not brag about having had children when you were not yet competent to care for yourself. You also may be shocked to know that most childless adults I know can do all of the things you listed, they are not, as you characterized them, "mommy super powers" that were given to you as a result of giving birth.

Post a sentimental piece of pseudo poetry about the wonders of being a new mom and how special it makes you then tag your mother at the end of it in an attempt to pretend you are just telling her happy mother's day.

In short, if you talk about yourself, you are not wishing someone else a happy anything. You are just talking about yourself.

And it is "smug mommy day" on Facebook. Yay. My very favorite.

Posting a Mother's Day greeting to your own mother: fine. Do it. It is lovely. I may click like if I know your mother.

Posting a self congratulatory post about yourself as a mother: please stop. You are just being arrogant.

Samples of what not to do, all present on my FB feed today:

Post something with the bold headline "A TRIBUTE TO MY MOM" that is above a picture of yourself with your child and is a smarmy over the top piece about how you know how wonderful it is to be a mom and how much it has made you a better human and how great a mom you personally are, then close with "happy mother's day, Mom" and tag her. You did not write about her. You congratulated yourself.

Post a sentimental piece of slop accompanied by baby pictures of your children about how you knew nothing about how to live including how to do basic tasks that adult humans with or without children should be able to handle (sewing a button, cooking a meal, cleaning a house, etc...) until you had them in your life. You should not brag about having had children when you were not yet competent to care for yourself. You also may be shocked to know that most childless adults I know can do all of the things you listed, they are not, as you characterized them, "mommy super powers" that were given to you as a result of giving birth.

Post a sentimental piece of pseudo poetry about the wonders of being a new mom and how special it makes you then tag your mother at the end of it in an attempt to pretend you are just telling her happy mother's day.

In short, if you talk about yourself, you are not wishing someone else a happy anything. You are just talking about yourself.

Hey we have the same FB friends! :lol: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

So I'm a member of a local group, it's made up of people that live in my smallish town. Problem is, it seems to be the crazies that do the most posting. I see way too much TMI crap that comes through my Facebook feed, and will see things like, "Hey everyone, here's my favorite sexual position with my husband! What's yours?" Or they'll post pictures of people they hate and try to discredit them, post pics of illegal stuff they did while drunk, etc. And the excuse is always the same - they claim it's a private group where they can vent without being judged. Um, sure, except that there's nearly 2,000 people in the group, and what are the odds that at some point, the stupid crap you're posting won't be screenshot and sent to your employer, or to someone else that you didn't want seeing it? :roll:

Also, narcissist friend is irritating me again. She's gotten to the point where she doesn't call people anymore, and barely responds to private messages because she prefers to control the flow of conversation and information on Facebook by putting up self-serving posts 10 times a day about how needy she is and how people aren't paying enough attention to how wonderful she is. What drives me completely insane is the number of people who bite. I have family that won't even bother to give me the time of day on Facebook, but damned if she doesn't get 75 posts a day from friends and family telling her how beautiful, talented, and special she is when she asks...which is CONSTANTLY.

So I'm a member of a local group, it's made up of people that live in my smallish town.

The "small town" groups are some of the worst. I belong to one for the small town I grew up in. It's was originally for people who grew up there and then moved away to reminisce, but it's been taken over by people that still live there. They seems to spend 24/7 policing the group. If you make one slightly negative post or comment, you are jumped on or banned. It actually makes me glad I left there when I grew up LOL. I could rant for days about it. I'm super close to removing myself from it.

High school friend of mine posted a meme about bringing back public hangings for criminals, especially of the pedophile persuasion (fairly certain it was a disguised anti-gay meme, because gay = pedophile, obvs :pull-hair:).

And in the comments section amongst the myriad of "hell yeahs" other criminals, like thieves were added to the need to be hung in public list and then I remembered why it's a bad idea to ever read the comments section of things like that.

High school friend of mine posted a meme about bringing back public hangings for criminals, especially of the pedophile persuasion (fairly certain it was a disguised anti-gay meme, because gay = pedophile, obvs :pull-hair:).

And in the comments section amongst the myriad of "hell yeahs" other criminals, like thieves were added to the need to be hung in public list and then I remembered why it's a bad idea to ever read the comments section of things like that.

The Nebraska legislature is trying to repeal the death penalty here. It may pass, so my Facebook is full of garbage like that at the moment.

I hate the crap people share without even looking to see what it's about. Someone on my friends list shared a post that had a missing dog - you know, someone has lost their dog, please share to help find it. Only thing was, I had a look to see where the dog was lost from and it was in Georgia somewhere in the US, and the post has been shared and shared. We're in Australia. I mean really? You think we're going to find a lost dog from Georgia trundling about in Australia? Or you read the comments and find out the dog was lost a week ago and found 2 days later, but because no one reads the damn things beyond "Help find my dog", they keep sharing the damn post days after Fido went home.

Also, I have a few friends from High School on my friends list. We've all been turning 50 in the last year or so. This one guy I was really good friends with years ago is turning 50 today and OMG. There has been a steady stream of posts from him all week along the lines of "My last week in my 40's", then "my last day at work in my 40's", and finally, last night, "my last espresso in my 40's" AAAARRGH! We've ALL turned 50 and no one carried on like he is. Of course, he gets all these suckers friends saying "you don't look it!" etc. Which is exactly what he wants. Narcissist much?

I hate the crap people share without even looking to see what it's about. Someone on my friends list shared a post that had a missing dog - you know, someone has lost their dog, please share to help find it. Only thing was, I had a look to see where the dog was lost from and it was in Georgia somewhere in the US, and the post has been shared and shared. We're in Australia. I mean really? You think we're going to find a lost dog from Georgia trundling about in Australia? Or you read the comments and find out the dog was lost a week ago and found 2 days later, but because no one reads the damn things beyond "Help find my dog", they keep sharing the damn post days after Fido went home.

Also, I have a few friends from High School on my friends list. We've all been turning 50 in the last year or so. This one guy I was really good friends with years ago is turning 50 today and OMG. There has been a steady stream of posts from him all week along the lines of "My last week in my 40's", then "my last day at work in my 40's", and finally, last night, "my last espresso in my 40's" AAAARRGH! We've ALL turned 50 and no one carried on like he is. Of course, he gets all these suckers friends saying "you don't look it!" etc. Which is exactly what he wants. Narcissist much?

:laughing-rolling: yes! That stuff is hilarious, it's like come on, just read for context, lol. But the thing that's sad is when it's fearful stuff with misleading clickbait titles.

This guy is amazing! Very clever!

The ones that are driving me crazy are the ones that are a looooooonnng post starting with : " This is really personal to me right now. Everyone is going through issues. Do you know sensitive people are the strongest? Did you know sensitive people give and give and give and bottle it all up inside? And on and on and on. And ends with a spiel about " if you care you'll share this post, just to let your friends know you care about their problems. I have a pretty good idea who will share"

So obnoxious. On every level. How is some long copy / pasted/ shared post " something personal" to you? And if I'm " going through some issues" how is random people copy and pasting a post about sensitive people helpful? And stop with the " I know who will take the time to post " crap.

Omg I have seen that one and I don't bother to comment or message or share. Surprises me how many people actually fall for it.

This is more funny than stupid. I follow an Australian embroidery magazine on Facebook. All of their posts are pictures of interesting embroidery pieces with a comment like, "This looks fun!" or "How beautiful!" Well, I'm guessing that an employee accidentally posted a personal FB update on the company's page, because this is their latest posting:

can someone PM me or text me the Robbie Williams password I have lost the email, at work and cannot get VISA to reply to email or text aaaaaargh of all days I f.....k it up!! knowing my luck they are sold out already!

Needless to say, they don't usually swear in their posts . . .

The ones that are driving me crazy are the ones that are a looooooonnng post starting with : " This is really personal to me right now. Everyone is going through issues. Do you know sensitive people are the strongest? Did you know sensitive people give and give and give and bottle it all up inside? And on and on and on. And ends with a spiel about " if you care you'll share this post, just to let your friends know you care about their problems. I have a pretty good idea who will share"

So obnoxious. On every level. How is some long copy / pasted/ shared post " something personal" to you? And if I'm " going through some issues" how is random people copy and pasting a post about sensitive people helpful? And stop with the " I know who will take the time to post " crap.

There are so many like that. I hate the ones that say "My children are the light of my life, blah, blah, blah, self-sacrificing comment, blah, blah, blah, being a parent makes you more special than everyone else, blah, blah. Share this post if you love your children and they mean the world to you." Or there are similar ones for sons and/or daughters. What, if I don't share your rubbish post I don't love my kids? Maybe people don't have time to share this drivel because they are working to keep a roof over their children's heads and food in their stomachs, rather than dicking around on Facebook. Not that it means anything anyway...

UGH I just came across literal shit on Facebook. On a baby. That is NOT cute or funny.

Crazy conservative dude at my office just posted an article in which a woman who claims to have been the President's classmate gives an expose on him. The title of the article is "Obama was a lying, crack smoking, homosexual foreigner!"

Sounds like a full plate for a full time college stduent.

Crazy conservative dude at my office just posted an article in which a woman who claims to have been the President's classmate gives an expose on him. The title of the article is "Obama was a lying, crack smoking, homosexual foreigner!"

Sounds like a full plate for a full time college stduent.

There seems to be a rumour going around that Obama married a male exchange student from Pakistan. In the 1980's. When there was no marriage nor anything that resembled marriage. Because he wore a ring on a finger in a picture from that time period, and there is literally no other explanation. Conservatives, everyone!

There seems to be a rumour going around that Obama married a male exchange student from Pakistan. In the 1980's. When there was no marriage nor anything that resembled marriage. Because he wore a ring on a finger in a picture from that time period, and there is literally no other explanation. Conservatives, everyone!

But it was on Facebook! So what more proof do you need?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 488&type=1

ATTENTION Friends....if you are a Parent, caregiver, youth pastor, etc. I want to warn you about a popular trend that is happening among our children and young people right now that you need to be aware of!!!

There is a new occultic social media trend has gone viral, challenging kids to attempt to summon a demon.

The homemade game is similar to using a Oujia board, and it's called the "Charlie Charlie Challenge."

It involves putting two pencils on a piece of paper in the shape of a cross, and writing the words "yes" and "no" in the boxes outlined by the pencils.

The participants then summon what they say is a Mexican demon called Charlie, attempting to ask him questions for guidance for their lives.

Some Twitter or Instagram users have said they've come into contact with more than one demon, and experienced other demonic activities such as hearing voices, things being moved, and more.

Yesterday, my 3 kids told me that a LOT of their school friends were doing this all throughout the day, even in their classes, in the bathrooms, and at lunch and trying to get them to join in! My kids were very upset and concerned that their friends were messing with things they shouldn't be and said that they even tried to tell the others to stop, but they just laughed at them and did it more!

They also told me that a lot of their classmates have also been "playing" with other ouija boards.

Soon after I was told about this, I saw the article below come across my facebook news feed.

http://m.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2015/May/Ki ... dia-Craze/

The person that shared this is someone that I normally think is a rational level headed person. She is usually very wise and someone I occasionally seek advice from. I personally was surprised to see this on her page.

A guy from my high school circle of friends has gotten deep into some major woo called Theta Healing. Basically, followers believe that you can cure all manner of disease and mental illness with the power of positive thoughts. The founder claimed that she instantly cured her bone cancer, and you can use it to grow back amputated limbs.

He went to film school before starting this, so he used his skills to make a promotional video for his business as a Theta Healing . . . teacher? I don't want to post it here because he uses his real name and phone number. Anyway, the video is like a combination of "Tom Cruise, Scientologist" and a motivational poster. It alternates between stock footage and him talking in front of a fireplace. My husband and I watched it and cracked up through the whole thing, but I also feel bad. If he actually believes this, he is going to get in serious shit because of it. I can picture him and his wife getting arrested for trying to cure cancer or diabetes in their daughter with positive thoughts. [i was also very offended when he said that he got interested in spirituality after volunteering with a rape prevention group. He said he was impressed by the "deep spiritual awareness" he saw in rape survivors, as if these women were better off because they had been raped.]

This is great :D best kind of stupid.

[bBvideo 560,340:2db7x372]

[/bBvideo]

This may be a little late, but I love Zach King :D

The only Viner whose Vines I truly enjoy.

It is June 3.

That means it is time for my annoying cousin to post anywhere from 5-10 statuses and links on Facebook in which she waxes eloquently about her "amazing" experience in dramatically "surviving" a tornado incident in her hometown when she was 9 years old.

The town sustained a lot of damage. But my aunt and uncle's house had a tree down and some damage to their roof. It isn't like she emerged from the ruins of anything.

:?

There was a pretty terrifying hail storm here last year. Some people still don't have their windows replaced. I suppose I should post some sentimental crap about surviving???

Archived