IGNORED

Stupid shit on FaceBook

Shirley Blest

I also have a facebook page designed only to follow some of the fundies we follow in Quiverfull of snark.... [snip]

I am amazed how this little subgroup, who for whatever reason did talk openly about me in negative ways (I think they thought they were private) haven't yet banned/blocked me. I am disheartened how easy they jumped on a bandwagon that was very vague and how happily they promoted treating one group exactly how they fear being treated.

Fundies in a nutshell. :clap: They're afraid of, and run from, what they are themselves.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm getting increasingly less able to handle the anti-vaxxers on FB, to the point where I avoid certain people's pages. Ugh.

It's really gotten bad. I think the Disneyland situation, and Rand Paul and Chris Christie's remarks, have kind of riled them up. They're nervous about losing their freedom of choice.

One relative (not anti-vax at the moment) who is close enough that i can't unfollow her posted a picture of Mickey Mouse with the measles and a line about unsecured borders. :roll:

post-10046-14451999922269_thumb.jpg

Obviously those people don't have kids who are into non-"Gender appropriate" stuff, or they're trying to discourage tomboys and such. My son's favorite color is purple, but now that it's a "girl color" it seems that everything purple must also come with loads of glitter, sparkle, and ruffles. He would have loved a purple swing when he was smaller.

If the seat is expired, odds are that the base is also expired - they are usually (IME) bought with the seat, although you can buy the base separately. I know most resale shops here won't take used carseats, either for liability reasons or because they're just nice that way. Not sure if an individual would have the same issues, I'd just have self-inflicted guilt if something happened later. One of ours is about to expire, and I think before we put it on the curb for trash day, we'll probably cut all the straps to make sure no one can use it.

It's because of the plastic degrading and becoming brittle in the hot/cold/schlepping. Just a little (probably unnecessary lol) PSA :D

It is only that if you make it that. You are not required to post anything. Literally. You can have an account and never post anything. You are not required to be friends with anyone. If they are too stupid or nasty or whatever, you can go unfriend them and most of the time, they will never know. Facebook is what you choose it to be for yourself. I find that I use it for two purposes:

1--Keeping in touch with far away family. I am more connected now than I have ever been with my paternal extended family. I did not grow up near them and in adulthood have seen them generally once every 4 or 5 years, sometimes less often. Thanks to Facebook, I actually know my cousins better. I was able to easily be in touch with them while planning an event for my parents last year and that resulted in four of them making the trip here (900+ miles) to be there for my dad. That absolutely would not have happened were we not all in touch via Facebook. It has provided an easy means for us to keep all of them aware of my dad's condition in the last two years and for them to offer us encouragement and support.

2--Snarking on people. Frankly, it is pretty fun to follow some people's idiocy on Facebook. I follow my idiot sister-in-law's business pages and we mock her stupid crap. Some friends that are ridiculous in real life are even more ridiculous on social media and we mock them.

whoviana - i so don't blame you. The drama can get crazy. If the snarkfest wasn't so addicting i think i'd be tempted to quit FB too. :lol: And It's one way i keep up with what's going on in our community too. (mom's group stuff, local weather, library activities, all that - basically a customizable newspaper) and there's a few diet and health boards that are sometimes useful but usually hilariously bad.

louisa05 - For a few months a group of old friends and i have had a private message board going where we screenshot and make fun of random hilarious stuff we see on FB, it's great. Like, duck face selfies with sunglasses and TERRIBLE wolf-man drawn on eyebrows that are in now - in the car of course - and we all do parodies of them. Blanket scarves are another awesomely fun parody. Workout selfies in awkward poses Or "i woke up like this". :lol: It rocks.

OMG the diet stuff!!!!!

FEATHERS RUFFLING EVERYWHERE! Bwok bwok bwok bwok bwok bwok bwok bwok! Dis suqs. Dat suqs. Disisbettur. No, U useless. No, U! useless! Forgeddat. Docktor saez no. Triedis insted. No, dats teh worst of all. And it never stopped.

They came out with diets ranging from stupid to downright reckless and dangerous every day.

And those pyramid schemes, selling nutrients, trying to lure people in. There was always something new. The last thing I saw was a green coffee kind of weight loss supplement, that gave people violent stomach bugs and made them purge.

I don't know what was worse, the weight loss ideas or the huge fights under each post. They were going for each other's throats.

Not to the point of annoying but it's been very amusing to read the posts and links of one evangelical friend (male) who is melting down about Fifty Shades of Gray. I don't really have an opinion other than people should be free do, read and watch whatever they want as long as their significant other(s) are on on board. I show some to my GF (who IMHO is the coolest woman on the planet) just slaps her head at articles and comments.

Not to the point of annoying but it's been very amusing to read the posts and links of one evangelical friend (male) who is melting down about Fifty Shades of Gray. I don't really have an opinion other than people should be free do, read and watch whatever they want as long as their significant other(s) are on on board. I show some to my GF (who IMHO is the coolest woman on the planet) just slaps her head at articles and comments.

The fundies have been really trolling movie theaters FB pages and asking them to stop showing that "filth" and to show Old Fashioned instead which is about dating Duggar style.

As if life wasn't a social nightmare enough for some of us... facebook is the lord of the flies and some people are the piggies.

I have just unfollowed someone . . . because a man once pooped next to her on a train, and she CAN'T. STOP. TALKING. ABOUT. IT.

I mean, I understand that it was a very upsetting thing to go through, but it's been several months now. Time to move on.

:oops: Yuk, man, that's grosssssssss!!!!!!! *shiver* *shrug*

Someone called me out in this topic as to why I attended this place, since my first comment was about how relieved I was for not having a FB anymore. :lol: I really could go on and on as to why I got rid of it.

Parents posted poopy diaper pictures early in the morning while I was having breakfast.

This one guy found a dead stray dog, buried him (after taking pictures of it) and weeks later some hobo um... well relieved himself over the dog's grave and he had to take pictures of it from every angle. (So sorry!)

Another parent kept ranting about how homeless people use sandboxes in public playground as a toilet. And there were pictures. And also, pictures of dog p00 from the street, because it's a Kodak moment that must be shared.

And there were those potty training challenges and questions as to why the daily load had certain colors and features.

Now this was literal FB sh*t. I'm absolutely shy about the whole nr 2 issue and I felt anti-social for being grossed out about the regular amount of crap, and everyone was talking about it like it was the weather or something.

Did I mention the conspiracy theories?! Like how vaccines are loaded with microchips that will enslave us to the alien lizard Jews that run the world from behind their holographic realm? Also the never ending 9-11 bullcrap, who shot Kennedy, was one of the Popes replaced, how Obama was created in a test tube, how Eminem is an android robot and the real Marshall Mathers is already dead, how the clean water that runs from the trap has been spiked with rat poison to make us dumb and non-rebellious, and they posted stuff from David Icke, Alec Jones (he made a movie with the PP) and other amazing minds :| :roll: :|

I'm on a FB fast right now (and to be honest it feels damn good to be away from the drama). These are the following types of posts that drive me nuts.

1) Anything that tries to sell me a MLM product. I don't care if it's Mary Kay, nail wraps, Pampered Chef, or the latest miracle du jour. I have a rule of not buying MLM products no matter how great they are. KEep it off my news feed.

2) Mundane status updates that nobody gives a shit about (like "I'm going to work and then going to the grocery store.") Unless you plan on meeting up with people at the grocery store, why share that.

3) I get that it's popular, but I really don't need to see a picture of every meal you ate. I file sharing a pic of your dinner (I do make exceptions, for example cake decorating) under #2. In the days before digital photography, very few people took pictures of meals.

4) I really mourn the loss of many forums (and traffic) because it's a much better venue than sharing with 400 of your FB friends. I think a forum for people who are trying paleo care more about a great paleo recipe you tried than your FB friends do. (From my FB friends, it mostly seems to be health and fitness topics but this could cover a wide range of subjects that you're better off discussing with people in your shoes or like-minded people).

5) People who link their FB with other social media. Each social network that's not FB has a time and place for things. Don't link every recipe you bookmarked, that's for pinterest. Sharing your photos is for Instagram, live updates of an event is for Twitter, etc.

6) And for fuck's sake, please do not post to FB that you are stuck in traffic (unless you are on public transit). Please don't update FB while you're supposed to be driving. This is dangerous and most likely illegal. (I have one friend who's very guilty of this).

I'm a political strategist and many of my friends are (or very politically active that I know from various campaigns). About 85% of my FB friends agree with me politically and the ones who don't know to expect political posts from me given my line of work. If they post something that is from the other side, I sit on my keyboard because we can't change everyone. (I will call out conspiracy theories and blatant lies--- for example I had a FB friend blame Obama for the missing Malaysian Airlines flight and I called her out).

I have a friend who has perfect children and she is the most perfect mother in the entire universe. :lol: She literally posted "Thank God my children have such a loving calm mother." and she was being serious. The way she speaks of her children I expect that they will be solving the problem of world peace soon. Her twins decided that instead of a trip to the zoo they would make bag lunches for homeless children. They are two, I rather doubt they came up with this on their own, but she acts like they did. She claims that her four children have never argued and always solve disagreements by calmly talking it out. :roll:

Another friend claims her five year old steals her phone to write long facebook posts about what a beautiful loving mother she is. :lol: Much like Jill, she is fooling no one.

I have a friend who has perfect children and she is the most perfect mother in the entire universe. :lol: She literally posted "Thank God my children have such a loving calm mother." and she was being serious. The way she speaks of her children I expect that they will be solving the problem of world peace soon. Her twins decided that instead of a trip to the zoo they would make bag lunches for homeless children. They are two, I rather doubt they came up with this on their own, but she acts like they did. She claims that her four children have never argued and always solve disagreements by calmly talking it out. :roll:

Another friend claims her five year old steals her phone to write long facebook posts about what a beautiful loving mother she is. :lol: Much like Jill, she is fooling no one.

I had a high school friend like this. I unfriended her. When she was pregnant with her twins, she posted a weekly picture captioned with the current belly measurement. As if anyone cared. The last straw for me was the "Trimming (daughter's) Tresses: A Pictorial" which was a 40 photo album of her 5 year old getting a haircut complete with captions about the wonderful mother daughter bonding experience of taking her child to Great Clips and how it is evidence of her brilliant parenting.

I did kind of perversely enjoy her super-Catholic judgmental posts about the declining morality of the world in general and how so many of them were about the horrors of sexually immoral people destroying our children with depictions of the horror of premarital sex. This woman and her husband lived together for 8 years before they got married. Not sure who she thinks she's fooling.

My Facebook friends list consists of a woman (and her boyfriend too) who have a relationship that alternates between her whining that he isn't interested in sex with her, he ignores her, isn't good in bed, is too obsessed with the internet to spend time with her, only communicates in grunts, is a manchild, and saying he is the best boyfriend ever and they are sooooo in love and he is way better than her ex (who she had the exact same kind of relationship with). Somehow I think the problem with this is on her end.

Then there is someone who reposts mainly far right anti Muslim memes and very patriotic stuff with a hint of "if our flag offends you, get the hell out of our country" and finds it funny that people report her for telling the truth.

Then there is the mother of a friend of mine who moved away when we were about 12, who I have gotten back in touch with, and she has turned into another version of Sarah Jane, who keeps making poor relationship choices, then swearing off men for good, and then thinking the next guy is perfect until a month later he turns out to be abusive, or goes back onto using drugs, or ends up in jail.

Then I have two conspiracy theorist, anti vax, hardcore vegan kind of people.

The fundies have been really trolling movie theaters FB pages and asking them to stop showing that "filth" and to show Old Fashioned instead which is about dating Duggar style.

The semi- close to semi- Fundie in- law I have on facebook was posting anti- shades stuff. But she was coming at it from the view of it promoting domineering men, fluff- brained women. Lack of empowerment, exploitation, abuse, non- consent etc. pretty much the issues people here have mentioned on other threads.

I think she'd more qualify as Conservative Christian here ? -- I assume she's anti- abortion, but definitelypro- birth control. I'm guessing she may be anti marriage equality, but to be fair that's just a guess as she never posts about it. Kids go to public school. No pre- marital sex, but didn't court or save the first kiss or anything like that. Lots of God posts. Lots of cool etsy jewelry. She also posts photos of her house when it's trashed, or the awful but funny things her kids do -- so not the " everything's perfect all the time" type. Does that sound fundie? I really don't know what the dividing lines are.

I had a high school friend like this. I unfriended her. When she was pregnant with her twins, she posted a weekly picture captioned with the current belly measurement. As if anyone cared. The last straw for me was the "Trimming (daughter's) Tresses: A Pictorial" which was a 40 photo album of her 5 year old getting a haircut complete with captions about the wonderful mother daughter bonding experience of taking her child to Great Clips and how it is evidence of her brilliant parenting.

I did kind of perversely enjoy her super-Catholic judgmental posts about the declining morality of the world in general and how so many of them were about the horrors of sexually immoral people destroying our children with depictions of the horror of premarital sex. This woman and her husband lived together for 8 years before they got married. Not sure who she thinks she's fooling.

I think everyone has a friend like that. :lol: The one I know posted this a couple of months ago:

Friend: It is sad how so many people don't take their marriage vows seriously. People jump into marriages and jump right out and that is what is wrong with society. TILL DEATH DO US PART MEANS SOMETHING!

She got a response saying: Haven't you been married four time?. Didn't one of your marriages only last four months? Did I miss the deaths of all these men? I would have sent flowers....

Friend: HOW DARE YOU JUDGE ME! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I WENT THROUGH. I'M DELETING THIS POST AND YOU! I DON'T NEED NEGATIVE JUDGMENTAL PEOPLE IN MY LIFE!!

:lol: I keep her on my feed mostly to see what new stupid things she will say.

Yeah, sometimes I feel I should write a long post about how delightfully average my kids are. And despite their averageness I love them tremendously. My kids are average athletes, average students, one is good at art. One is naturally kind and compassionate. One is wild and carefree, and one is really good at legos.

:oops: Yuk, man, that's grosssssssss!!!!!!! *shiver* *shrug*

Someone called me out in this topic as to why I attended this place, since my first comment was about how relieved I was for not having a FB anymore. :lol: I really could go on and on as to why I got rid of it.

Parents posted poopy diaper pictures early in the morning while I was having breakfast.

This one guy found a dead stray dog, buried him (after taking pictures of it) and weeks later some hobo um... well relieved himself over the dog's grave and he had to take pictures of it from every angle. (So sorry!)

Another parent kept ranting about how homeless people use sandboxes in public playground as a toilet. And there were pictures. And also, pictures of dog p00 from the street, because it's a Kodak moment that must be shared.

And there were those potty training challenges and questions as to why the daily load had certain colors and features.

Now this was literal FB sh*t. I'm absolutely shy about the whole nr 2 issue and I felt anti-social for being grossed out about the regular amount of crap, and everyone was talking about it like it was the weather or something.

Did I mention the conspiracy theories?! Like how vaccines are loaded with microchips that will enslave us to the alien lizard Jews that run the world from behind their holographic realm? Also the never ending 9-11 bullcrap, who shot Kennedy, was one of the Popes replaced, how Obama was created in a test tube, how Eminem is an android robot and the real Marshall Mathers is already dead, how the clean water that runs from the trap has been spiked with rat poison to make us dumb and non-rebellious, and they posted stuff from David Icke, Alec Jones (he made a movie with the PP) and other amazing minds :| :roll: :|

LOL on the poop.

My youngest SIL has become the poop queen. This is someone who would have been completely grossed out by the whole conversation a year ago, and who had never changed a diaper. As a first time mom with an iPhone, she is regularly sending poop pictures via text message, and has a charming collection of burps and farts from the baby as well.

I had 3 kids and remember a time when green poop (yes, it's a thing) was a point of interest for me. When you spend all day changing diapers, and you haven't done it before, this stuff is interesting. If it's any consolation, my youngest is 10 now, I have no interest in ever looking at my kids' poop again, and am totally over that particular discussion.

Yes yes yes, I see so much of this on my feed. People just can't get over themselves.

I always get these sweet pictures of children kissing and hugging siblings or just doing something just charming and the caption is "My Billy is so sweet and loving to his sister". When is actuality, you know they are brats that fight like cats and dogs.

Also the constant selfies, where it's obvious the person just took 2 hours doing their hair and makeup and this is most likely 1 out of twenty shots and they look amazingly beautiful.... then the caption is something like... "My am so stressed I worked all day and look and feel exhausted" or " I cannot believe I am turning 50 in two days, I look terrible" - They're just fishing for compliments.

Lastly. The endless "We've got the AC on and I'm going to the beach" posts from people who live in Florida when there is some nationwide deep freeze or snow storm of the century. This usually come from people who never post anything else. I live in Florida, but grew up in Wisconsin. I know better that to rub it in! :mrgreen:

I can't delete FB friends fast enough that have "THE BEST HUBBY EVAR" that brings them Starbucks, cleans the house twice a year, and gets up with the baby precisely one night a month. Let's not forget their endless stream of Pinterest creations they've made for the perfect marital home.

As one of my best friends puts it (she's married, and has a very modest FB presence), "They must not have picked very good spouses, because my husband does those things for me ALL the time." :lol:

Damnit. After reading all these posts, I think I must have really, really boring friends.

The only one that's annoying is one guy I went to school with who posts about 40 photos every time he goes out anywhere - each shot looking pretty much like the one before it. He strikes the same stupid poses, goes out with the same bunch of people, to the same or similar places...just boring and not worthy of flooding everyones FB feeds.

Archived