IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 9

Coconut Flan

Inquiring minds are curious ... Josie who definitely posted pretty much daily, if even just for her heatless curlers, hasn't posted in at least a week. There was speculation in the videos from the 4th of July that she was preggers due to something KJ said, but, wasn't 100% clear. Wonder if she's well?

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Smoochie said:

Inquiring minds are curious ... Josie who definitely posted pretty much daily, if even just for her heatless curlers, hasn't posted in at least a week. There was speculation in the videos from the 4th of July that she was preggers due to something KJ said, but, wasn't 100% clear. Wonder if she's well?

It wouldn’t surprise me at all since Hazel is 2.

• Upvote 3

Lydia said they got their glider/chair for their nursery from Josie and that made me wonder if Josie is getting ready to redecorate a room because of pregnancy. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gobucks said:

Lydia said they got their glider/chair for their nursery from Josie and that made me wonder if Josie is getting ready to redecorate a room because of pregnancy. 

Maybe this is the case with all influencers, but it really strikes me how MUCH the Bates girls feed into consumerism. Clothing and decor hauls that are generally all cheap (and probably unethically produced) stuff. Hair products. Makeup. Fancy stuff for the kids. Constantly redecorating their houses. Presumably this chair is still in good shape - why are they redoing their nursery? Buying more stuff. I suppose it’s good at least that they’ve passed it on to someone else. But still. It just seems so, so wasteful. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, gobucks said:

She may turn the soft beige into off-white and need a brand new chair that matches the decor.

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 24
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Keys said:

Maybe this is the case with all influencers, but it really strikes me how MUCH the Bates girls feed into consumerism. Clothing and decor hauls that are generally all cheap (and probably unethically produced) stuff. Hair products. Makeup. Fancy stuff for the kids. Constantly redecorating their houses. Presumably this chair is still in good shape - why are they redoing their nursery? Buying more stuff. I suppose it’s good at least that they’ve passed it on to someone else. But still. It just seems so, so wasteful. 

I am pretty sure there is a correlation between being starved for resources make you more susceptible to hyper consumerism or maybe the drive of keeping-up-with-the-jones. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, gobucks said:

I read that as opposite, that Josie is done with babies or know that she will have plenty of time for Lydia to be done with it before she needs to get it back...

But then again I would just use the heck out of one chair and not need a new one for every baby

if it is good enough to hand down to a first baby, why isn't it good enough for a third baby? why would you need to redo the nursery when your go to look is bland beige anyway?...

5 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

She may turn the soft beige into off-white and need a brand new chair that matches the decor.

if she does turn out to be pregnant this could be the thread title lol 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Longhairedheathen said:

I am pretty sure there is a correlation between being starved for resources make you more susceptible to hyper consumerism or maybe the drive of keeping-up-with-the-jones. 

I can definitely see that as a possibility. I also wonder about the food insecure families. Do they have huge stockpiles of food? Do they have trouble wasting any food? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can definitely see that as a possibility. I also wonder about the food insecure families. Do they have huge stockpiles of food? Do they have trouble wasting any food? 

Several of the homesteaders and pantry stocker people I watch on YouTube have a history of food insecurity in childhood. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1

I was not aware of any food insecurity as a kid, but my parents used to try to get me to eat my food quicker by telling me if I didn't finish it one day people would take my food away.  I know they were just fed up with the glacial slowness that kids sometimes apply to mealtimes, but it made me super protective and stressed about eating and I would house my food extremely fast.  I still really struggle with throwing away expired food and have to keep the pantry shelves really stocked.  I moved some canned and dry goods from Iowa to another apartment in Iowa to Illinois to two different places in Connecticut before my husband finally had a small intervention and got rid of it.

Weird how small things can affect us well into adulthood.  I bet a lot of those girls hoard food.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 9

The businesses that the Bates women run all sell cheaply made goods that are the same sort of cheaply made goods they are constantly hauling or promoting. So maybe featuring a consumerist sort of lifestyle on their social media is marketing for their own brands. 

This being said, a scarcity of resources might well influence them into preferring a high consumption lifestyle.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, browngrl said:

The businesses that the Bates women run all sell cheaply made goods that are the same sort of cheaply made goods they are constantly hauling or promoting. So maybe featuring a consumerist sort of lifestyle on their social media is marketing for their own brands. 

This being said, a scarcity of resources might well influence them into preferring a high consumption lifestyle.

I am really curious about how aware they are of the ethics of a lot of the production of these products. Like do they know about sweat shops and child labour, do they inquire about where and how their merchandise is being made? 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

8 hours ago, Keys said:

I am really curious about how aware they are of the ethics of a lot of the production of these products. Like do they know about sweat shops and child labour, do they inquire about where and how their merchandise is being made? 

I seriously doubt they are aware of anything outside of their own orbits (end of their noses). Carlin didn’t even know where she was born when applying for her marriage license. Good thing her dad tagged along. 

• Upvote 9

8 hours ago, Keys said:

short answer: No. Their fundy homeschool upbringing was designed to train all curiosity & skepticism out of them.

They may not realize it, but the Bates and Duggars have wholeheartedly embraced prosperity gospel, and they probably sneer on any type of environmentalism (partly as a way to "own the libs")

I at least have some respect for some fundy folks like the Bontragers who are into thrifting. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I seriously doubt they are aware of anything outside of their own orbits (end of their noses). Carlin didn’t even know where she was born when applying for her marriage license. Good thing her dad tagged along. 

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

short answer: No. Their fundy homeschool upbringing was designed to train all curiosity & skepticism out of them.

They may not realize it, but the Bates and Duggars have wholeheartedly embraced prosperity gospel, and they probably sneer on any type of environmentalism (partly as a way to "own the libs")

I at least have some respect for some fundy folks like the Bontragers who are into thrifting. 

Do you think that if they knew, they would want to address the issue by switching to manufacturers that were ethical? I would think/hope that they would, considering their religious values? I’m in the age group their products target (late 20s), and my perception is that there’s a big shift to want to buy things that are higher quality, ethically made, free of chemicals we know are harmful, etc. This does come with a higher price tag, though. But generally I find these products are higher quality and last much longer anyways. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

11 hours ago, Keys said:

Sadly I've grew up/met with fundies that they were involved with (unpaid) child labor so they justify it in their heads.  To them I don't think they can see the different between when they worked for Gil and weren't paid. Same with the show, we see with Jill that it took having an accountant for a husband to see that she wasn't financially compensated for the work she did on the show. I really do think that why Micheala has kind of dropped off the radar and gone to school. 

It is a cycle, they aren't going to care about the product, the ethic or manufacturers, they only care if it looks good, follows the modesty rules and sells well. The only difference from their parents is that they were the products. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

@JermajestyDuggar One of my friends is a bit of a food hoarder and definitely had food insecurity as a child. She has a normal kitchen but most of the cupboards have food in them opposed to pots, pans, small appliances, etc. She has a pantry that's stuffed, her LR closet is also used for food, she has a deep freezer in the basement and another fridge/freezer in the garage. Her kitchen is totally clean, she just has a LOT of food in a lot of different places. Her upbringing was so erratic, in and out of foster care and when she was with her mother, the mom wasn't consistent in providing food. She admits it's an issue.

• Upvote 5

14 hours ago, SassyPants said:

After 19 kids I am surprised he remembered himself..

Partial snark and partial genuine surprise (unless its an easy answer because all the kids were born in the same place).

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I'm really positive that she's pregnant, she's recycling old content, some are from June and some are at least one month ago. 

I remember mentioning before that she does that from time to time when i pointed out the change in her eyelids and some people didn't believe that lol.

• Upvote 1

On 8/10/2023 at 11:09 AM, fluffernutter said:

@JermajestyDuggar One of my friends is a bit of a food hoarder and definitely had food insecurity as a child. She has a normal kitchen but most of the cupboards have food in them opposed to pots, pans, small appliances, etc. She has a pantry that's stuffed, her LR closet is also used for food, she has a deep freezer in the basement and another fridge/freezer in the garage. Her kitchen is totally clean, she just has a LOT of food in a lot of different places. Her upbringing was so erratic, in and out of foster care and when she was with her mother, the mom wasn't consistent in providing food. She admits it's an issue.

My mother had this issue. She was the oldest in her family and they never had enough food, clothing, etc. She talked about avoiding being labeled as poor as a child by just eating two slices of bread together as though they were a sandwich. As an adult she suffered from overeating. She couldn't handle food being wasted or thrown away. It's a very sad state that her parents caused by their actions.

• Love 11

I wasn't fed enough at my boarding school as a teenager and lost about fifty pounds (I went from a size 8 to a 0) while I was there. I was always hungry. I've had food scarcity anxiety ever since, and my pantry is always full of way more food and ingredients than I need given that I live alone.

• Sad 7
  • Love 11

I know a 80 year old lady who was malbourished to the point it affected her height and she was also abused. In her adulthood she had eating issues (maybe not anorexia, but tried to stay slim by eating as little as possible). She cooked delicious food but used small casseroles... many times her husband had to make some eggs or sandwiches for himself and the children just after diner, while she got really upset because they were spending too much on food.

This lady is also obsessed with saving money. They got a nice bank account and pensions (pensions here are lifelong)  but she always feels it's not enough to be safe.

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Sad 5