IGNORED

Stupid shit on FaceBook

Shirley Blest

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you f*cking kidding me? What a dumbass argument. If you really believe that letting kids die from a disease is "natural", then you cannot, in virtually the same breath, say that medical intervention is a good thing. Where and when did God will antibiotics? Can't remember any mention of those or any other modern medical interventions in the Bible. :angry-banghead:

LETTIN kids die from diseases that can be preventable and calling it "natural" is semi-psychopathic to me, and murder.

Ah, the "natural" argument. It certainly has its place in some areas -- food, for example.

I think the idiocy of it being used for whatever someone wants to fight about occurred to me some time in the late 1970s or so, when watching a talk show in which some guy was arguing that women shouldn't work because it wasn't natural.

I looked at this fellow, in a manufactured suit on manufactured furniture (both probably mostly synthetic), in a brightly-lit studio, having probably just used the indoor plumbing if being on TV made him nervous. I thought about the fact that he was depending on an electronic device to get his message out, and pondered his not needing to kill woolly mammoths and bring pieces back to his cave (or, for that matter, do any hard physical labor) to get nourishment.

I think we passed the point of "if it isn't natural, don't do it" many centuries ago.

Yes, the "natural" argument. I say, let's all get naked, put on pelts of skinned animals, crawl on our knees and elbows, howl and hurl as a means of communication, sacrifice humans to the great orange in the sky so that it will come back in the morning, let's live in caves, let males kill each other over us and let the strongest ones rape us. The ones that are the most often raped are honored since the males view her as the one copy that should keep the species going. Let us collect berries and let the males hunt, and let's all eat raw meat. Let us be exposed to the elements, since man-made buildings, electricity, tap water is not "natural". And let no one live past the age of 35. Does that sound natural enough?

Yes, the "natural" argument. I say, let's all get naked, put on pelts of skinned animals, crawl on our knees and elbows, howl and hurl as a means of communication, sacrifice humans to the great orange in the sky so that it will come back in the morning, let's live in caves, let males kill each other over us and let the strongest ones rape us. The ones that are the most often raped are honored since the males view her as the one copy that should keep the species going. Let us collect berries and let the males hunt, and let's all eat raw meat. Let us be exposed to the elements, since man-made buildings, electricity, tap water is not "natural". And let no one live past the age of 35. Does that sound natural enough?

Let's roll around in poison ivy, too. And let poisonous snakes bite us. Because those things are natural.

And all natural things are good and healthy and never toxic. My sister-in-law explains that to us a billion times a year. :roll:

I wonder how many of our ancestors had to die before they finally had a good idea of what roots, barks, berries, leaves, mushrooms to eat and not die or vomit or break out in rashes or miscarry, which kind of snakes, spiders, animals like scorpions didn't kill them. It was all before civilization as we know it, and it was allllll natural. :roll:

I wonder how many of our ancestors had to die before they finally had a good idea of what roots, barks, berries, leaves, mushrooms to eat and not die or vomit or break out in rashes or miscarry, which kind of snakes, spiders, animals like scorpions didn't kill them. It was all before civilization as we know it, and it was allllll natural. :roll:

Truth. The people in that group can't seem to recognize that progress - advancing toward safety - is learning from and building upon past knowledge and past failures. We don't have to reinvent the wheel or have people die from the same mistakes in every generation.

The only downside is that yes, big companies may stand to profit by selling unnecessary stuff now with how technological it all is, but we should fight corporate greed at the actual source with greater regulations and tests that must be passed before vaccines become recommended by the CDC. Ant-vaxxers tend to go too far and throw it all out without recognizing the benefits vaccines give us.

Of course if more regulations were required, a lot of the hokey pseudo-health crap anti-vaxxers love so much possibly might get regulated or outlawed. :lol: It was pretty awesome when eo companies got in trouble last year for making false claims.

A few things that have annoyed me and still do on Facebook:

- the endless ice bucket challenge BS

- "Turn your profile "xxfill in the blankxxx" for "xxfill in the blankxxx" - "Purple for anti-bullying", "Green for Cerebal Palsy", "Duct Tape your mouth for Prop 8" - you name it. I'd rather just leave my profile alone thank you very much, it doesn't mean I don't support any of these causes.

- Endless status updates on how busy everyone is, as if it's something they should be praised for? Since when does busy = award potential?

A few things that have annoyed me and still do on Facebook:

- the endless ice bucket challenge BS

- "Turn your profile "xxfill in the blankxxx" for "xxfill in the blankxxx" - "Purple for anti-bullying", "Green for Cerebal Palsy", "Duct Tape your mouth for Prop 8" - you name it. I'd rather just leave my profile alone thank you very much, it doesn't mean I don't support any of these causes.

- Endless status updates on how busy everyone is, as if it's something they should be praised for? Since when does busy = award potential?

Yes. All of these.

Plus the "repost if you are against...." things. Especially the ones that have a big guilt trip written in with all the "I know some of you will repost this, but I know that too many of you just don't care enough about anything" crap. Or the ones that are just ridiculous. "Repost this if you are against cancer". Okay. And who is in favor of cancer?

Yes. All of these.

Plus the "repost if you are against...." things. Especially the ones that have a big guilt trip written in with all the "I know some of you will repost this, but I know that too many of you just don't care enough about anything" crap. Or the ones that are just ridiculous. "Repost this if you are against cancer". Okay. And who is in favor of cancer?

That always makes me think of the South Park episode with the underwear gnomes. "If you vote for this, that means you hate children. You don't HATE children . . . do you?"

And the ones that say "Repost this if you love your son", or "Repost this if you love your daughter". As if reposting that crap means I do or I don't. Pointless.

I belong to a group against pet vaccines for the lulz. These people ate even against rabies and parvo

I've wondered how the antivaxxers feel about pet vaccines.

Rabies is nothing to mess with. Then again, I used to live in one of the rabies capitals of the US, while it's relatively rare where I live now, so I have a different perspective.

Full disclosure: My vet actually recommended suspending vaccines for my old cat who's having old cat problems, and I agreed as she's strictly and indoor cat. Also, she's that cat who goes right to the back for exams and fights loud enough that the waiting room goes dead silent, so the less she needs to have done the better. So I guess I don't have a strong leg to stand on here.

:-/

This article appeared in the magazine my local organic grocery gives away. It may just be the most batshit crazy thing I've read so far about measles (and that's saying a lot!):

As a homeopath specializing in children’s health, I have observed several cases of measles (also rubella and mumps), and afterwards there appears to be growth spurts, an improvement in language and analytical thinking, and often a maturation in the child’s face too (before the illness the child may have been the spitting image of the father, and after the illness the child may look more like the mother, and more like him/herself)! I believe that, by not allowing children to naturally contract the measles, we have taken away from them this maturation process. We have stopped our children from having a standard childhood illness that has been part of humanity for so long that it is a rite of passage.
- See more at: vitalitymagazine.com/article/measles-an-alternative-view-from-mother-and-homeopath/#sthash.31PPQLnh.dpuf

This article appeared in the magazine my local organic grocery gives away. It may just be the most batshit crazy thing I've read so far about measles (and that's saying a lot!):

- See more at: vitalitymagazine.com/article/measles-an-alternative-view-from-mother-and-homeopath/#sthash.31PPQLnh.dpuf

Is that why people in the US keep getting shorter and shorter and hitting puberty later and later?

OH WAIT.

So here's a stupid article that turned up in my feed this morning.

sukofamily.org/how-to-make-your-wife-submit-to-your-authority-6-tips/

I'll read more to see if this is a new fundie family worth following around here. My friend posted this in her Facebook feed this morning, and I was a bit confused. Even though she's Christian, I know she doesn't embrace patriarchy. Turns out that the article was a passive-aggressive dig at her husband. I'm friends with him on Facebook, too, and his reply was that if everyone just listened to him and did their jobs right at home, nothing would ever need to be explained by him, ever.

Odd...I didn't think I had friended Lori and Ken Alexander on Facebook. Perhaps I was mistaken.

*neither of these people are really anything like Lori and Ken, but when it comes to the occasional bit of mutual passive-aggression on social media, they've both got it nailed.

Voddie Bauchum is not bright, but the commenters really take the cake In this vaccine thread:

facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152965845997550&id=227409437549

So, I find a strange thread on my newsfeed (only because one friend commented), and someone in my community that I don't know has posted "I'll send her my thoughts of her now. It will involve the words punch you right in the fucking cocksucker, Herpes. Syphilis tits and Hutchinson teeth." This was on a thread about an organization, after someone posted the director's email.

WWYD?

Options include:

1. Ignore

2. Say something about how making sexist violent threats don't really help his argument about values.

3. Point out that posting a sexual violent threat online, under your own name beside your picture, is both criminal and insanely stupid.

4. Forward the post to authorities.

5. Report to Facebook.

So, I find a strange thread on my newsfeed (only because one friend commented), and someone in my community that I don't know has posted "I'll send her my thoughts of her now. It will involve the words punch you right in the fucking cocksucker, Herpes. Syphilis tits and Hutchinson teeth." This was on a thread about an organization, after someone posted the director's email.

WWYD?

Options include:

1. Ignore

2. Say something about how making sexist violent threats don't really help his argument about values.

3. Point out that posting a sexual violent threat online, under your own name beside your picture, is both criminal and insanely stupid.

4. Forward the post to authorities.

5. Report to Facebook.

I would start with #3 with a dash of #2. If anything violent was then directed at me for saying something I would start with #4 then add #5 then #1. If nothing further was said after #3and #2 I'd then leave it at that.

5. You are not involved in this fight, and anything you say will simply put fuel on the fire. The organization is presumably made up of adults and can fight their own battles. They probably would not welcome escalation of this flamewar.

I highly doubt that the police would take such an incoherent threat of someone wishing syphilis on someone seriously.

Report to Facebook, and move on.

Thanks. After thinking a bit more, I really don't want to add my name to that thread. For one thing, creepy guy doesn't currently know who I am, and I want it to stay that way. If I post anything, he'll have my name, photo, name of my husband and Girl 1, etc. and he lives in my community. I reported it to Facebook, now it's their problem.

So my aunt just posted a long ridiculous meme comparing girls who are "easy" to rotten apples while those who are not "easy" are the good apples at the top of the tree who must wait for real men to climb up and get them.

Right below that, she posted a meme about how real Christians should not judge others.

Okay, then...

So my aunt just posted a long ridiculous meme comparing girls who are "easy" to rotten apples while those who are not "easy" are the good apples at the top of the tree who must wait for real men to climb up and get them.

Right below that, she posted a meme about how real Christians should not judge others.

Okay, then...

Screen shot the post about judging and post it in the comments of the other one.

Why do I read the comment...but an article on diabetes came across my feed about a very small study about how an ingredient in cough syrup could help type 2 diabetics. Comments on big physicals and f those diabetic people change your diet , you brought it on yourself and my fav from type I people why cant they do studies to cure us, type 2 people deserve what they get etc etc bat shit hate crazy :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Archived