IGNORED

Stupid shit on FaceBook

Shirley Blest

Last night I almost fell off my bed when I found a photo of my ultra conservative you're-only-family-by-blood-because-otherwise-I-hate-you aunt on her husbands motorbike. Like a motorbike my mum used to own and got in major trouble for having for being the "rebellious child". Plus the comment about her being a "biker nana" and not to tell her mother (my nanny) about it was the icing on the cake.  

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and cue the first sharing o the god's not dead 2 trailer on my feed.  Prompting me to hid all from god's not dead.  

This falls into the category of "stupid shit" that Facebook is actually responsible for.

Facebook has seemed really aggressive lately about the "memory" posts--showing what you posted X years ago and asking if you want to share it.  Friend #1 is a good friend who has been very depressed lately because an old friend of hers committed suicide.  Facebook has been showing her "memories" from 1 year ago--when she was visiting this friend.  It was the last time she saw him happy.  She doesn't want these "memories" ambushing her, but they keep coming up no matter how she changes the settings.  They are making this difficult time worse for her.

Even worse is the situation with Friend #2, a woman I went to high school with.  Facebook had a large post congratulating her on her son's 1st birthday--the son who died when he was 10 weeks old.

Over half of my Facebook friends are my cousins who live in a few other countries. Most are fine but there are several who post religious gifs (the latest is a sparkly teddy bear with some quote about Jesus' non-stop love for us sinners. None have recognized the bear is from the movie "Ted". Good times!) and post them all day long. 

The one person who fills me with rage is a total asshat jerk wad married to my grade school to high school friend. He is odious. A racist, misogynist, gun obsessed, half witted, non-sensical ass who once commented on some Right Wing News article that rape would cure a woman of speaking Spanish to a friend in a Walmart in Arizona. No words canexplain how angry I still am but I did not block or unfriendly him because my friend and he MUST have all of the same friends. Why? So they can trust each other. You know, typing this out has convinced me to block him. He's a despicable excuse for a human and why should I be forced to scroll past his ugliness? Blocking starts... Now!

My parents & other relatives like a music duo, Joey & Rory, and share a lot of things from their Facebook page.  The wife half of the duo has terminal stage 4 ovarian cancer, so a lot of the FB stuff is prayers, prayer vigils, that kind of thing.  Which is all well and good, until you read the comments and there are people recommending Gerson, black salve, alkalizing, essential oils, and all sorts of other mind-freaking craziness, because broccoli cures stage-4 cancer, y'all. 

Joey made the decision to go on Hospice over the weekend due to the fact that her cancer is spreading and causing her horrible pain(she is in the hospital). There are people on their Facebook page still pushing alt treatments and telling her not to give up. 

Joey made the decision to go on Hospice over the weekend due to the fact that her cancer is spreading and causing her horrible pain(she is in the hospital). There are people on their Facebook page still pushing alt treatments and telling her not to give up. 

Yeah, the whole thing just bugs me.  Telling someone who's terminal to "not give up" just, I don't know, I can't find the word for it.  It's like telling someone they're doing it wrong, or something.  Her cancer is stage IV and spread during chemo, from what I read, so I don't think all the cannabis oil in the world would do a damn thing. 

I have to wonder, though, if she'd seen a doctor during her pregnancy, if things might have been caught soon enough - or if she was getting regular checkups pre-pregnancy.  But that's just rambling assumptions, because I haven't read their whole blog and don't know when she was diagnosed.  I did read enough to get a full dose of "God doesn't give you more than you can handle" with a side of "the joy of a Down Syndrome angel."  (She was 39, first pregnancy, went full-on crunchy home-birth with no doctors, no ultrasound, breech birth. At least there was a midwife.)

The saddest part is that their little girl will probably lose her mother before she turns two.

Archived