IGNORED

Stupid shit on FaceBook

Shirley Blest

The latest stupid shit I have seen is a friend who liked a post that said the dentist who killed Cecil the lion is a "man's man" and that our founding fathers would have been proud to have him a part of our country. :angry-banghead: :cray-cray:

Last week there was a debate over if the blue moon was really going to be blue. :lol:

ETA: And now there is someone who things Stephen Colbert is a conservative Christian who is persecuted by liberals. :lol:

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had somebody on Facebook call me a hypocrite for being a SAHW and a liberal Christian. This person knew I was a SAHW for medical reasons. Seriously, WTF?

Several weeks ago, I wrote about my high school acquaintance who was getting into serious new age woo, and said half-jokingly that I was worried that he would get into trouble by trying to do something like cure his daughter's cancer with the power of positive thinking.

Well, I checked his Facebook face and found out that last week, his daughter was diagnosed with cancer. Her diagnoses is good and they are getting the best possible medical treatment for her. And I feel like the worst person in the world for joking about this before it happened.

One of my relatives posted this a few days ago (but has deleted it since then):

2015 US Welfare Plan

For a guy and his girlfriend with two kids

Follow these proven steps.

1. Don't get married to her.

2. Always use your mom's address to get mail.

3. The guy buys a house.

4. Guy rents out house to his girlfriend who has 2 of his kids.

5. Section 8 will pay $900 a month for a 3 bedroom home.

6. Girlfriend signs up for Obamacare so guy doesn't have to pay for family insurance.

7. Girlfriend gets to go to college for free being a single mother

8. Girlfriend gets $600 a month for food stamps

9. Girlfriend gets free cell phone

10. Girlfriend get free utilities.

11. Guy moves into home but continues to use moms house to get mail.

12. Girlfriend claims one kid and guy claims one kid on taxes. Now you each get to claim head of house hold at $1,800 credit.

13. Girlfriend gets disability for being "crazy" or having a "bad back" at $1,800 a month and never has to work again.

This plan is perfectly legal and is being executed now by millions of people.

A married couple with a stay at home mom yields $0 dollars.

An unmarried couple with stay at home mom nets.

$21,600 disability +

$10,800 free housing +

$6,000 free obamacare +

$6,000 free food +

$4,800 free utilities +

$6,000 pell grant money to spend +

$12,000 a year in college tuition free from pell grant +

$8,800 tax benefit for being a single mother =

---------

$75,000 a year in benefits…….

Any idea why our country is $18 + trillion in debt!

I don't have the energy to debunk any of it right now. :roll:

Meanwhile, the commenters on the local newspaper's FB are losing their shit arguing about the statewide trend for local law enforcement to put big "In God We Trust" decals on the police/sheriff vehicles. It's basically "Separation of church and state! Would you approve of 'In Allah We Trust'?" "But 'In God We Trust' is on the money, so stop using money if you don't like God! We're a Christian nation!" Lather, rinse, repeat, bang head on desk.

Meanwhile, the commenters on the local newspaper's FB are losing their shit arguing about the statewide trend for local law enforcement to put big "In God We Trust" decals on the police/sheriff vehicles. It's basically "Separation of church and state! Would you approve of 'In Allah We Trust'?" "But 'In God We Trust' is on the money, so stop using money if you don't like God! We're a Christian nation!" Lather, rinse, repeat, bang head on desk.

i almost wish benefits were that easy to obtain, back when i was borderline homeless and in the midst of a mental breakdown. i could have really used even a quarter of that. but alas, about $200 cash assistance and about the same in food stamps plus minimal medical was all i got. guess i didn't scam hard enough! :roll:

(i hope i did the smiley right, am on tapatalk)

God I hate it when people do those kind of stupid,, inaccurate memes and don't even bother to get the math right! They did some of the benefits at a 12 month year, some at 10 months :roll: . Idiots.

Plus more importantly, they are just plain wrong all over the place. Here's some off the top of my heads ways they are wrong, in case you want to dispute. Not that it ever helps.

Section 8 -

* If $900 is the base amount for a 3 bedroom in that community that's the maximum payment if the tenant had 0 income. The tenant pays 30% of adjusted income towards rent. In this case, the tenant would be paying roughly half the rent. So Section 8 payment would be about $450 a month. ( also, lucky them for living in a place where 3 bedroom houses are $900 a month, I'm jealous )

* If the father was anonymous, i.e., not acknowledging the kids as his, not on the birth certificate or any other official paperwork, they could slip under the radar and rent the house. But it is against the rules to rent from a family member

(. which is all kinds of stupid in many cases - like renting from parent or grandparent- who might have a rental property but not be wealthy enough to give it for free to their child. The whole concept assumes a degree of wealth that's unrealistic ) . And marriage has nothing to do with the landlord being the family member of the children. So no, not legal. So there goes the whole premis of families doing this legally.

* This also assumes there is an open Section 8 list, and that there are openings. Rare, to say the least. Waits are often 5-7 years, with waiting lists completely closed for years at a time.

Utilities - I don't know of ANY programs that pay utilities ongoing for families. There are some that will give a lower rate, or make a one time payment or help with set up. Maybe there are scattered local programs that do this. But certainly not anything nationwide.

SNAP I don't think they would get that much, it's possible, but iirc they would be pretty far from the max amount due to the mothers income. Plus I think that she would be excluded because you can't get food stamps and social security. But I could be wrong on that.

* Disability - O.K. Sure, she could receive that much in Social Security Disability payments. That's what I receive. But I had a really solid work history for over 20 years at a progressively higher salary. It's definitely at the higher end. And you pay into that system your whole working life. Most people get a lot less. Particularly if you are young enough to have small children, like in this hypothetical. And it's really, really hard to get. Particularly for less clear cut disabilities. Most people are denied repeatedly, and many never receive it. People who don't have a substantial work history get help, if they can, through a different system. And it pays about $700 a month.

Taxes

* She's not working, and her disability payments aren't high enough to be taxable. So why would she be doing any of this? She can't get any tax benefits, like the Earned Income Tax , because she didn't work. So that tax$ amount makes 0 sense. Her tax benefit would be 0. If he worked and claimed the kids ( which would make sense) , then we go back to the Section 8 issue and they would be discovered, because it's not legal to rent through that system to a family member.

My father is in the hospital. We are waiting for tests which will likely confirm liver failure.

My idiot aunt just posted every last detail my mother has told her on Facebook. There are numerous family members that my parents and I decided not to give details to until we know the test results. Now a number of them have all of the info.

I messaged her and asked her to remove the post. She informed me she does not know how. I sent directions. She refused to do it and still claims she does not know how.

We are all absolutely livid.

My father is in the hospital. We are waiting for tests which will likely confirm liver failure.

My idiot aunt just posted every last detail my mother has told her on Facebook. There are numerous family members that my parents and I decided not to give details to until we know the test results. Now a number of them have all of the info.

I messaged her and asked her to remove the post. She informed me she does not know how. I sent directions. She refused to do it and still claims she does not know how.

We are all absolutely livid.

I am so sorry that happened to your family Louisa.

I had somebody on Facebook call me a hypocrite for being a SAHW and a liberal Christian. This person knew I was a SAHW for medical reasons. Seriously, WTF?

What on earth was their reasoning? What's wrong with being a SAHW, for any reason, as long as it's what someone wants to do ? :?

What on earth was their reasoning? What's wrong with being a SAHW, for any reason, as long as it's what someone wants to do ? :?

Some feminists believe that women who choose to stay home are part of the patriarch and traitorous to the sisterhood.

The thing his my husband isn't a patriarchal asshole, and I'm not a submissive wife. All I can say is fuck you to the sisterhood. Nobody or group speaks for me. It's my life, and this is how I choose to live it.

P.S. Maggie May, this wasn't directed at you, just the "sisterhood" you mentioned.

Some feminists believe that women who choose to stay home are part of the patriarch and traitorous to the sisterhood.

Well that's just stupid. And if a meme implying that comes up on facebook, I"ll say so ;)

Well that's just stupid. And if a meme implying that comes up on facebook, I"ll say so ;)

I was kind of "tounge in cheek (i'm not sober so please don't judge my spelling or cohesiveness)" about being a traitor to the sisterhood; but there is an argument that is semi-valid about how only rich, mostly white, women can even have the choice of being a stay-at-home mom or wife. And then there is also the idea that not working "perpetuates a mostly male ruling class."

Mostly I don't care. Work. Don't work. I respect able-bodied people who work more than people who stay at home and paint their nails. It's my own thing; sorry. If you are having health problems and can afford to stay home, that's nice for you. I'm a little jealous, watching my disabled parent slowly crawl into depression from not being able to work and not being able to really support the family. It's a sad situation. But my experience isn't everyones experience and I can't judge others by my problems. etc

I was kind of "tounge in cheek (i'm not sober so please don't judge my spelling or cohesiveness)" about being a traitor to the sisterhood; but there is an argument that is semi-valid about how only rich, mostly white, women can even have the choice of being a stay-at-home mom or wife. And then there is also the idea that not working "perpetuates a mostly male ruling class."

Mostly I don't care. Work. Don't work. I respect able-bodied people who work more than people who stay at home and paint their nails. It's my own thing; sorry. If you are having health problems and can afford to stay home, that's nice for you. I'm a little jealous, watching my disabled parent slowly crawl into depression from not being able to work and not being able to really support the family. It's a sad situation. But my experience isn't everyones experience and I can't judge others by my problems. etc

This is an interesting topic in general. I think I'll start a separate thread . My game isn't working so I'm in the mood for a debate :P

A "new" post about hacking happening on FB is going around again. I'm sure this is just another hack that I'll hear about but never actually see happen. :roll:

We definitely aren't rich, but we both have been working since we were kids, and saved a lot. If my medical problems can be better managed, I do want to go back to work, and my husband is 100% supportive.

Someone posted an article on Facebook explaining how the Black Lives Matter movement is racist (because it's not AllLives Matter) and how supporters are delusional because institutionalized racism is illegal :angry-banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a lot of friends who seemed to have graduated from the John Schrader School of Grifting. One friend is always looking to borrow something. For her son's birthday, she invited almost all her FB friends and then began posting requests for things to borrow for the party, including a bouncy house! I have several friends that have Go Fund Me's set up for various stupid nonsensical things they just don't want to save their own money for and I have one friend* who spent a year grifting the hell out of her friends to support her and her family of 5 in an Asian country as a missionary for 2 years. No idea how much money that she had to raise, but she said she had to raise all their expenses for 2 years. Then right after they finished raising it all and just before they left on their mission, she posted tons of selfies of everything she was doing leading up to their departure. Not to mention every post for the last year has been hashtagged to death with "cute" references to them being missionaries and she refers to their mission trip as her family's big Asian adventure. I should delete her, but I'm a masochist and love to be annoyed. :/

*met up with her twice for play dates and figured out her game quickly

My aunt posted that 37 moons thing. Five people have told her it is not true. She has now responded with this:

"I really doubt that it is a hoax, and makes for some interesting thoughts. God must have a magical wand."

:?

What's the 37 moons thing?

A meme that says that the moon will duplicate itself 37 times on 9/5 which will not happen again until the year 2274. Someone clearly made it to mock the gullibility of Facebook-land.

I've seen it several times, posted with sarcasm and winks. But dear old aunt, who may need a neurological exam, believes it.

A meme that says that the moon will duplicate itself 37 times on 9/5 which will not happen again until the year 2274. Someone clearly made it to mock the gullibility of Facebook-land.

I've seen it several times, posted with sarcasm and winks. But dear old aunt, who may need a neurological exam, believes it.

Wow, how have I missed that one? I have seen the "this year Halloween falls on Friday the 13th for the first time in however-long" meme (on debunking pages), and references to a revival of the "Mars will be as big as the Moon" hoax, though. So people are believing that the Moon will what, split like an amoeba? Clone itself?

Wow, how have I missed that one? I have seen the "this year Halloween falls on Friday the 13th for the first time in however-long" meme (on debunking pages), and references to a revival of the "Mars will be as big as the Moon" hoax, though. So people are believing that the Moon will what, split like an amoeba? Clone itself?

Never underestimate the gullibility of facebook+moon. One time I went skating after dark with my friend, and there were families outside, in lawn chairs, just chilling in their driveways. We thought fireworks were scheduled or something so we finally asked the fifteenth family what they were waiting for and FACEBOOK told them that tonight was going to be a 'Blue Moon' and it only happens once every 73 years.

Yeah. It was a totally normal moon.

Never underestimate the gullibility of facebook+moon. One time I went skating after dark with my friend, and there were families outside, in lawn chairs, just chilling in their driveways. We thought fireworks were scheduled or something so we finally asked the fifteenth family what they were waiting for and FACEBOOK told them that tonight was going to be a 'Blue Moon' and it only happens once every 73 years.

Yeah. It was a totally normal moon.

It was probably a blue moon that time. But it happens very frequently and it does not mean the moon is blue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_moon

Archived