IGNORED

Stupid shit on FaceBook

Shirley Blest

I am being inundated on my FB by shares of stuff from a Courtney Luper. Best I can see, this person is a McMama-like-wannabe who is into MLM of something called Skinny Fiber - but most of the shares are for recipes (un-skinny recipes, go figure) and the usual could-debunk-quickly-by-going-to-snopes.com.

Anybody got any more on her? Sick of seeing her name pop up (yes, I will probably resort to blocking) - but would prefer to let some of my FB friends in on a bit of truth first.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, sometimes I feel I should write a long post about how delightfully average my kids are. And despite their averageness I love them tremendously. My kids are average athletes, average students, one is good at art. One is naturally kind and compassionate. One is wild and carefree, and one is really good at legos.

Ok, about Facebook, don't know much. I do have a page and visit it every 2 months or so. Actually pretty good, if I checked in. Learn about what is happening with family and friends. Otherwise kinda boring.

But, Grimalkin, I would LOVE to hear about your Lego genius kid. Lego's are quite amazing to teach STEM to kids while having fun. Please, do tell.

My woo-loving sister just posted a link on her FB - to a WND ( :angry-banghead: ) article claiming no one has died in the US from measles, but 150+ people have died from the vaccine. There's not enough :angry-banghead: smilies in the world for this. Later, when I'm on the PC, I will give her the Snopes refutation, and find something to point out the issues with the VAERS database. And then I will go :angry-banghead: again.

:pink-shock:

:lol:

This one, at least, is a joke if the rest of the Facebook page is any indication.

facebook.com/ChristiansAgainstDrugs

At this point, it's nearly impossible to discern what's truth, and what's satire. Fundies have made sure of that. Some days I wake up and think that people like PP and Lori MUST be trolling everyone, but sadly...no. They are very real people that say (and mean) the things they do.

LOL on the poop.

My youngest SIL has become the poop queen. This is someone who would have been completely grossed out by the whole conversation a year ago, and who had never changed a diaper. As a first time mom with an iPhone, she is regularly sending poop pictures via text message, and has a charming collection of burps and farts from the baby as well.

I had 3 kids and remember a time when green poop (yes, it's a thing) was a point of interest for me. When you spend all day changing diapers, and you haven't done it before, this stuff is interesting. If it's any consolation, my youngest is 10 now, I have no interest in ever looking at my kids' poop again, and am totally over that particular discussion.

My daughter has serious bowel problems and poop is a big issue in our house. But I rarely mention it, don't mention details, and would never post photos. Ewww!

I'm on a FB fast right now (and to be honest it feels damn good to be away from the drama). These are the following types of posts that drive me nuts.

1) Anything that tries to sell me a MLM product. I don't care if it's Mary Kay, nail wraps, Pampered Chef, or the latest miracle du jour. I have a rule of not buying MLM products no matter how great they are. KEep it off my news feed.

2) Mundane status updates that nobody gives a shit about (like "I'm going to work and then going to the grocery store.") Unless you plan on meeting up with people at the grocery store, why share that.

3) I get that it's popular, but I really don't need to see a picture of every meal you ate. I file sharing a pic of your dinner (I do make exceptions, for example cake decorating) under #2. In the days before digital photography, very few people took pictures of meals.

4) I really mourn the loss of many forums (and traffic) because it's a much better venue than sharing with 400 of your FB friends. I think a forum for people who are trying paleo care more about a great paleo recipe you tried than your FB friends do. (From my FB friends, it mostly seems to be health and fitness topics but this could cover a wide range of subjects that you're better off discussing with people in your shoes or like-minded people).

5) People who link their FB with other social media. Each social network that's not FB has a time and place for things. Don't link every recipe you bookmarked, that's for pinterest. Sharing your photos is for Instagram, live updates of an event is for Twitter, etc.

6) And for fuck's sake, please do not post to FB that you are stuck in traffic (unless you are on public transit). Please don't update FB while you're supposed to be driving. This is dangerous and most likely illegal. (I have one friend who's very guilty of this).

I'm a political strategist and many of my friends are (or very politically active that I know from various campaigns). About 85% of my FB friends agree with me politically and the ones who don't know to expect political posts from me given my line of work. If they post something that is from the other side, I sit on my keyboard because we can't change everyone. (I will call out conspiracy theories and blatant lies--- for example I had a FB friend blame Obama for the missing Malaysian Airlines flight and I called her out).

amen. A friend of mine has been posting a lot of recent articles about current events with a heavy dose of spin. The worst one was about police stepping in to monitor street preachers. Except that the article title tried to make it seem like the police were beginning to enforce Islam. Nope, it was an incident several YEARS ago outside of an Arabic festival. The spin was so bad that i had to say something - basically just pointed out how old it was, and that the police would be cheered if they responded to Muslim street speakers outside a Christian festival. The police have no idea if a street preacher is sane and peaceful - they were just trying to keep everyone safe. I hate it when fb posters won't look at things objectively. Most of the time I just cringe thinking how many people read a title and get scared because they don't have the time to check out the details. Anything can be spun to mean anything people want it to. It's so frustrating.

I had a high school friend like this. I unfriended her. When she was pregnant with her twins, she posted a weekly picture captioned with the current belly measurement. As if anyone cared. The last straw for me was the "Trimming (daughter's) Tresses: A Pictorial" which was a 40 photo album of her 5 year old getting a haircut complete with captions about the wonderful mother daughter bonding experience of taking her child to Great Clips and how it is evidence of her brilliant parenting.

I did kind of perversely enjoy her super-Catholic judgmental posts about the declining morality of the world in general and how so many of them were about the horrors of sexually immoral people destroying our children with depictions of the horror of premarital sex. This woman and her husband lived together for 8 years before they got married. Not sure who she thinks she's fooling.

That's hilarious :D

I have seen this image on a funny site. I almost died from laughing. I have seen something similar years ago, the tampont being satan's little fingers. So practically your own vj is the devil's doorstep, or the devil's hotline. You don't rub it, touch it, shave it, heck, let's not even wash it.

Half the women I am friends with on FB have shared a stupid meme in the last few days that says:

"Your husband will always be your biggest and oldest child that requires the most adult supervision".

No. I don't think so. If that is the case, you married someone too immature to be married. If it is not really the case, and you just think it is cute. It isn't. If a meme implied that women were children who need supervision from their husbands, many of the women who have shared this one would be ranting about how misogynistic it was. We can't say we believe in equality and slam men in this way. Equality really means equal.

Or maybe that is just me.

Mine's clingy and tender-hearted, and I do make fun of that sometimes but he definitely ain't no man-child.

So yeah. This was on my page.

Sorry the text is distorted, I was trying to make it small enough to be 256 KB

post-693-14451999990911_thumb.png

So I took that quiz..I am very bad at telling toddler from modern art :lol: :lol:

I got all of the pieces that I recognized correct. But I also falsely attributed some of the toddler work.

OT: I like to show my perfectionist art kiddos contemporary and abstract art, so many kids get caught up in making things perfect that they don't ever finish what they are working on. Introducing them to Jackson Pollock is always fun - just splashing paint around and letting them talk about what they like and why they like it is so fun for me. Not so fun for them when they are trying to find the right answer and I don't tell them right away that there isn't a correct or 'right' answer. Art is so personal. Also, it's so fascinating to me when people share their tastes.

It's always annoyed me when people complain about how facebook should just be about fun and happy things. I don't care if that's how they want their feed to be, whatever, hide my posts then, but don't complain because I and others I know want to use it to keep up with serious issues. For me and I'm pretty sure a number of my friends, facebook's our best place to converse about current events and share breaking news with each other because we just aren't around others who care day-to-day.

My FB feed (and my own posts) are a combination of real-world news/opinion pieces and "LOOK AT THESE BABY BUNNIES!!!". I prefer it that way, honestly; the bunnies and puppies and other genuinely cute things help to relieve some of the ugliness of the regular news, but I don't have all-glurge-all-the-time.

My heater went out last month during the northeastern US cold spell. If had thought of that I would have had to borrow the Eden Pure from Mother.

Enough said. [attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425835305.470302.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425835324.271654.jpg[/attachment]

Are you f*cking kidding me? What a dumbass argument. If you really believe that letting kids die from a disease is "natural", then you cannot, in virtually the same breath, say that medical intervention is a good thing. Where and when did God will antibiotics? Can't remember any mention of those or any other modern medical interventions in the Bible. :angry-banghead:

They anti-vaxxers can be frigging crazy it is a religion\cult with their dedication and blindness. There saddest part is that most of them are well educated and well off.

They anti-vaxxers can be frigging crazy it is a religion\cult with their dedication and blindness. There saddest part is that most of them are well educated and well off.

and very far removed from the diseases vaccines prevent. Iron lung photos, polio crutches... these things should be part of their decisions but sadly rarely are, etc.

Archived