IGNORED

Katie and Travis 5: Baby Makes Three

Coconut Flan

7 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

That sounds like sexual harassment. Could she not lose her license for this?

I don't know anything about licensing but it is on the internet for the whole world to see. She clearly sees nothing wrong with it. I am sure Travis would defend her but that doesn't mean it isn't harassment. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, gobucks said:

I don't know anything about licensing but it is on the internet for the whole world to see. She clearly sees nothing wrong with it. I am sure Travis would defend her but that doesn't mean it isn't harassment. 

She seems positively giddy to me, as well as unmasked, though the families appear to be fine with it.

I feel bad for Travis, though.  I don't think it was fine for him.

• Upvote 3

On 2/20/2023 at 6:57 PM, FiveAcres said:

I have a relative who is a small woman who gave birth via Cesarean section to very large babies. Ultrasound was fairly new back then and the OB didn't believe the size measurement from the ultrasound. For her second baby, when the nurse tried to guilt trip her into keeping her baby in the room instead of sending it to the nursery so she could bond, my relative told her, "I will bond just fine when we get home. This is my last chance to rest." 

Things have changed! I think pretty much all hospitals (at least here in Ontario) do baby in the room with mom now, if possible. Less sleep but more breastfeeding success and presumably, more bonding. I'm guessing it's also cheaper.

• Upvote 4

I'm in the northeastern USA and the only time they took my baby away from me was to draw some blood and I think give her a vaccine and exam.  They were checking for blood sugar, bilirubin, weight, etc.  All the other checks were done in the room including blood sugar testing because that was just a drop of blood rather than a true draw, I assume.  Husband and I passed OUT as soon as she was gone and didn't wake up til they brought her back.  I suspect they kept her a little longer than needed to let us sleep a bit.

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, Dandruff said:

She seems positively giddy to me, as well as unmasked, though the families appear to be fine with it.

I feel bad for Travis, though.  I don't think it was fine for him.

I had a hard time understanding the doctor’s exact words but I think she was perfectly aware how mortified he was, too. Didn’t she say something like „Awww, now he’s embarrassed”? Not okay.

That said, apart from the horrible doctor and the crowds of people, I found the birth story surprisingly relatable. I’ve been there, waiting for a baby to finally make her entrance and it took me right back. I feel they were being perfectly sensible about their medical decisions, and the filming was tastefully done, so props to Carlin, I guess?

That said, I feel kind of sorry for Travis and Katie because they feel the need to share such intensely intimate moments as meeting your baby for the first time with the whole world. It seems so invasive to me, and I hope they realise they are not obliged to do so.

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 11

7 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

I had a hard time understanding the doctor’s exact words but I think she was perfectly aware how mortified he was, too. Didn’t she say something like „Awww, now he’s embarrassed”? Not okay.

That said, apart from the horrible doctor and the crowds of people, I found the birth story surprisingly relatable. I’ve been there, waiting for a baby to finally make her entrance and it took me right back. I feel they were being perfectly sensible about their medical decisions, and the filming was tastefully done, so props to Carlin, I guess?

That said, I feel kind of sorry for Travis and Katie because they feel the need to share such intensely intimate moments as meeting your baby for the first time with the whole world. It seems so invasive to me, and I hope they realise they are not obliged to do so.

Yes, this is exactly it. I had my first baby at 10:21 PM and did not have visitors until the next day. You couldn’t have pried that baby away from either my husband or myself. There is no way mascara or a crowd would have been a higher priority than getting to know our daughter and just basking in the awe of it all. You can’t replicate those first few hours of family time-

Maybe they felt obligated because of the money. IIRC, they was a People mag. Article, right? 

• Upvote 3

Babies staying in the same room as the mother is standard here in the UK and has been for years.
 I developed jaundice a day after birth and had to spend time in an incubator under bili lights. My poor mother wanted to cuddle me but couldn’t. So taking a baby away after birth for no real reason just sounds bizarre IMO. Maybe I’ll get people disagreeing with me for that but it’s just something I don’t get. Maybe it’s partly cultural. I’ve not had kids but can imagine that, if I did, I’d want to keep them within eyesight all the time when I’m not cuddling them. 

Edited by mango_fandango
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

40 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Babies staying in the same room as the mother is standard here in the UK and has been for years.
 I developed jaundice a day after birth and had to spend time in an incubator under bili lights. My poor mother wanted to cuddle me but couldn’t. So taking a baby away after birth for no real reason just sounds bizarre IMO. Maybe I’ll get people disagreeing with me for that but it’s just something I don’t get. Maybe it’s partly cultural. I’ve not had kids but can imagine that, if I did, I’d want to keep them within eyesight all the time when I’m not cuddling them. 

My mom was desperate because I was put in the nursery from 0 to 6AM, and she was told to rest (she couldn't rest without me!). No breastfeeding at night of course. Oh those aseptic 1970's... So sad!

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 3

I had postpartum anxiety so I was very conflicted. I needed him to be near me because of my anxiety. But I couldn’t rest if he was near me. Because every noise would set off my anxiety. This went on for months even with medication. Now you know why I said never again after I had my second. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 8

19 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

My mom was desperate because I was put in the nursery from 0 to 6AM, and she was told to rest (she couldn't rest without me!). No breastfeeding at night of course. Oh those aseptic 1970's... So sad!

The 1970s were crazy. My MIL had my husband in 1971 and wasn't allowed to change his diaper or take care of the umbilical cord until she left the hospital after 10 days. When I brought my babies home right after birth, that was the first time she ever saw meconium, and she was totally fascinated. Keep in mind that she'd given birth to three kids!

She also wasn't allowed to keep her babies with her during the night. Back then, babies slept in a crib in a separate room, and the nurses brought them in several times a day for nursing. Not surprising that so many women found themselves "unable to breastfeed".

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

I just thought of something…maybe because Katie has been surrounded by babies her entire, and I mean baby, after baby, after baby the whole process isn’t as awe inspiring? Maybe it’s just like any other day or year? What gets me is KJ and Gil swooping in for the birth and then leaving the next day when their help might actually be needed. Not to mention ignoring their own children precious blessings at home in the process.

It’s all so dysfunctional.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

On 2/21/2023 at 2:26 PM, OldFadedStar said:

I've been looking at alot of baby stuff lately as I'm expecting and I feel like the Doona is a very "high class" purchase. I doubt she is going to be able to reuse that for the next baby as it'll probably happen when she would still have Hailey in a stroller. I have to buy a second carseat and am gonna get the keyfit 30 again. Though, I am looking at an expensive stroller but that's because its gonna have to push two babies AND be able to occasionally seat my almost 4 year old. And I'm getting it used for like 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. Yay for most double strollers having a weight limit of 40-45 lbs when my daughter is currently 38 and I'm only 2.5 months along. 😕 

Though I know alot of people buy uppababy for the status like they do the Doona. I'm surprised we havent seen any bates/duggars with an uppababy stroller. 

My kids are 3.3 years apart, I got the Uppababy Vista with my first, assuming I'd eventually use it as a double. I LOVE it as a single, but feel it misses the mark as a double with the configurations (smaller child on the bottom front, bigger kid on the top/back). However, as a first time mom I just didn't realize that when I got it. I will say, I am 100% in the camp that you DO get what you pay for, and when it comes to the most-used baby items (like a stroller) spending the money on quality is so worth it.  My kids are 3.3 years apart, and I considered the Doona but was worried I'd need a seat for my oldest. I don't know how your child is, but mine is super independent and I never had a need for him to ride after the baby was born - so I could have totally gotten away with a Doona. I think it can be a great option if your kids have a big enough age gap. Especially if you already have another stroller to use when they outgrow the Doona. 

If I were going to do it over again, I would get a City Select V2, or the Austlen Entourage. 

I fully admit I will spend the money on things that make life easier as a mom...haha. For me it's not about status, it's about spending the money on things that are quality and will last. 

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

My first impression of the second birth video was that it had big gaps and seemed kind of disjointed.  I watched it again (in part to see whether I got the same :pink-shock: vibe from the doctor) and liked it more.  It did have gaps, though.  We saw Katie led to the delivery room, then we were told about the epidural and treated to the doctor scene, then Katie was fully dilated and Hailey was born.  There was also that bit of footage somewhere of Travis getting weight guesses from the family.  This all occurred over at least 12 hours, though.  When Travis was given Hailey to hold he was told to wait for skin to skin because he had said he was nauseous but we hadn't seen any footage of him expressing discomfort.

I'm not criticizing Travis and Katie at all, because they don't need to show us anything.  I do think that so much was left out that it seemed choppy.  They covered the warmth and bonding really well but we didn't see any impatience, chaos, or negativity (there could have been none but is that realistic?).  IMO, some of the latter would have connected things up better and provided more of a balanced picture.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

When Travis was given Hailey to hold he was told to wait for skin to skin because he had said he was nauseous but we hadn't seen any footage of him expressing discomfort.

It was *Katie* who was told to wait. So they gave her to Travis first. 

I didn't think it seemed disjointed. it was actually a well done birth video. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, LillyP said:

My kids are 3.3 years apart, I got the Uppababy Vista with my first, assuming I'd eventually use it as a double. I LOVE it as a single, but feel it misses the mark as a double with the configurations (smaller child on the bottom front, bigger kid on the top/back). However, as a first time mom I just didn't realize that when I got it. I will say, I am 100% in the camp that you DO get what you pay for, and when it comes to the most-used baby items (like a stroller) spending the money on quality is so worth it.  My kids are 3.3 years apart, and I considered the Doona but was worried I'd need a seat for my oldest. I don't know how your child is, but mine is super independent and I never had a need for him to ride after the baby was born - so I could have totally gotten away with a Doona. I think it can be a great option if your kids have a big enough age gap. Especially if you already have another stroller to use when they outgrow the Doona. 

If I were going to do it over again, I would get a City Select V2, or the Austlen Entourage. 

I fully admit I will spend the money on things that make life easier as a mom...haha. For me it's not about status, it's about spending the money on things that are quality and will last. 

This is how I am. It isnt about status, it's about what I think will work best for my children. 

I have a nearly 4 year old and am pregnant with twins 😛 so a double stroller is a must for me lol but my 4 year old is autistic which means I'd love the option for her to be able to ride in the stroller as well. I'm hoping she will do fine on a riding board on the vista. I found one used for like $450! and I have no issues with used lol

• Upvote 3

I was an emergency c-section at 29 weeks due to Preeclampsia and Placenta previa with massive blood loss, so it took three days until my Mum was well enough to sit up and be wheeled over to the NICU (which was in a different building). She said it nearly killed her to not be able to be with me or even see me. So when my brother was born 2,5 years later, when they wanted to take him to the nursery she threw a fit and wouldn't let them do it, which I can absolutely understand! 

ETA: Actually they only let her come see me after 3 days, because an ICU-Nurse friend of hers said she would go with her and make sure she was alright. 

Edited by Hazelbunny
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Hazelbunny said:

I was an emergency c-section at 29 weeks due to Preeclampsia and Placenta previa with massive blood loss, so it took three days until my Mum was well enough to sit up and be wheeled over to the NICU (which was in a different building). She said it nearly killed her to not be able to be with me or even see me. So when my brother was born 2,5 years later, when they wanted to take him to the nursery she threw a fit and wouldn't let them do it, which I can absolutely understand! 

ETA: Actually they only let her come see me after 3 days, because an ICU-Nurse friend of hers said she would go with her and make sure she was alright. 

It is so hard to leave your baby in the NICU and not be able to hold them. 

• I Agree 5
  • Love 3

On 2/23/2023 at 3:44 PM, OldFadedStar said:

This is how I am. It isnt about status, it's about what I think will work best for my children. 

I have a nearly 4 year old and am pregnant with twins 😛 so a double stroller is a must for me lol but my 4 year old is autistic which means I'd love the option for her to be able to ride in the stroller as well. I'm hoping she will do fine on a riding board on the vista. I found one used for like $450! and I have no issues with used lol

You should totally check out the Austlen Entourage!!! They went out of production for a while but recently came back and it's literally the station wagon of strollers. I'd fully planned to get one with my second, not realizing they were out of production so finding accessories was near impossible. By the time they came back into production I was past needing a double but there are a lot of days I still consider it...haha.

Looks like they had their hardest night. She posted about it. The baby had been sleeping like a dream but stayed up screaming.  I feel like that happens after they've been home a minute.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

The single worst night I ever had with any of my 3 babies was when my oldest was 14 months. He would not settle and kept us up until 7 a.m (we took turns) screaming the whole time. It was so bad that I remember turning to my husband and saying that it was a good thing I was already pregnant or he would be an only child. 

He was a great baby, generally a fantastic sleeper but that night was awful. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

I was NOT prepared for how hard the sleep situation would be. At all. The first night home from the hospital was a dream, she only woke twice. I thought, wow this isn’t bad at all. Well, joke was on me! After that she would wake up consistently 10-20 minutes after putting her in the bassinet. We tried everything. Then the sleep deprivation got so bad that I fell asleep feeding her a couple of times in bed, which was terrifying. Ended up bed-sharing, something I thought I’d never do, because it was the only way I’d get to sleep. 8 months in now and I still have a baby who will not sleep in her crib despite trying all the things for the last several months. In all seriousness, the constant sleep struggle has made me want to be one and done. Don’t know how people have more than one, honestly! 

• Love 11

5 hours ago, Keys said:

In all seriousness, the constant sleep struggle has made me want to be one and done. Don’t know how people have more than one, honestly! 

If it's any help at all, my first kiddo was a terrible sleeper and also wanted to be constantly carried around during the day. Then number two came along and was a super easy, chill baby. The thing is, you never know what you're going to get...

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, Keys said:

I was NOT prepared for how hard the sleep situation would be. At all. The first night home from the hospital was a dream, she only woke twice. I thought, wow this isn’t bad at all. Well, joke was on me! After that she would wake up consistently 10-20 minutes after putting her in the bassinet. We tried everything. Then the sleep deprivation got so bad that I fell asleep feeding her a couple of times in bed, which was terrifying. Ended up bed-sharing, something I thought I’d never do, because it was the only way I’d get to sleep. 8 months in now and I still have a baby who will not sleep in her crib despite trying all the things for the last several months. In all seriousness, the constant sleep struggle has made me want to be one and done. Don’t know how people have more than one, honestly! 

I’m sorry you are going through this. I had an absolutely horrible sleeper as well. People who torture will use sleep deprivation. That’s how bad sleep deprivation can be! I’m not saying your baby is torturing you. Just that sleep deprivation can feel that way. I remember being so sleep deprived that I would hallucinate in the middle of the night! I hope it gets better for you soon! This is why I never judge anyone for their sleep training/co-sleeping whatever techniques because unless you’ve lived it, you just can’t understand. My son is 8 now so of course those days are long past. Your kid will get there eventually. That’s the only hope I can give you. The kid won’t be waking up constantly into middle school. Your baby will eventually sleep. I promise. I just can’t say when. But it will happen. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

There was a post or story on instagram of Travis holding the baby in front of the tv showing her his music video. Her newborn facial expression was priceless- she looked thoroughly unimpressed. 😂

• Haha 8

• Coconut Flan locked this topic