IGNORED

Katie and Travis 5: Baby Makes Three

Coconut Flan

I wish I had friends having kids - my mother-in-law lives 20 hours away and she purchased an absolutely embarrassing amount of clothing for my daughter.  First it was thrifted which was great, but a bit excessive, and then she got a new job that paid better and she bought SO many of the brand names clothes like posh peanut.  She is always very well-dressed.  Half our attic is clothes she's outgrown.  I told my husband if we have another kid, we're pulling EVERYTHING down when I'm pregnant and I'm going to mercilessly purge everything but the favorites and then we're going to donate everything.  Some of it will probably go to the daycare to use as spares.

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I wish I had friends having kids - my mother-in-law lives 20 hours away and she purchased an absolutely embarrassing amount of clothing for my daughter.  First it was thrifted which was great, but a bit excessive, and then she got a new job that paid better and she bought SO many of the brand names clothes like posh peanut.  She is always very well-dressed.  Half our attic is clothes she's outgrown.  I told my husband if we have another kid, we're pulling EVERYTHING down when I'm pregnant and I'm going to mercilessly purge everything but the favorites and then we're going to donate everything.  Some of it will probably go to the daycare to use as spares.

Awwww. I fear I will be that grandmother. 🥴 I am such a ridiculous sucker for baby clothes. Does she ask you and your husband what baby needs or just sends lots of clothes without discussing it? 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Awwww. I fear I will be that grandmother. 🥴 I am such a ridiculous sucker for baby clothes. Does she ask you and your husband what baby needs or just sends lots of clothes without discussing it? 

I am that grandma. And my daughter and SIL (truly bless their hearts) let me have lots of freedom, and they are rather minimalistic, and do pass things down and around. Since my GD is soon to be 9, I just ask her, and I know what her mom finds acceptable. As an example, my daughter is anti-screens, so anything technology based is out. My daughter also loathes anything Barbie, but my GD  LOVES all things Barbie, so we do buy some Barbie stuff for birthdays. Really, we let C. Pick as much as possible, and she is  really reasonable.

Cute story for all you GMs and Moms, enjoy the little years. We’ve reached the no more pink, sparkly or princess stage. My GD loves black high tops (are they called Chucks?). Ok, black high tops it is.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

My first was the first baby on my side and the first baby boy in 9 years on my husband's side. Plus I was amongst the first of our friends to have a baby. So many clothes and toys. 

My third is the only girl on my side and the first girl in 11 years on my husband's side. Almost all my friends had boys. So again, everyone wanted to buy all the things. 

• Upvote 2

I'm having the first boy in a line of 7 girl great grandchild for my husband Grandma lol. I'm quite curious as to how all this is going to turn out. And I may be having two boys... or a boy and a girl. So could be 8 girl GGC and 1 boy GGC lol

• Upvote 4
  • Love 7

I watched today's video. They brought Hailey home from the hospital. Travis said "she" needed iron in the IV, but it wasn't working fast enough, so they did a blood transfusion. He said "her" hemoglobin was 6. I assume he meant Katie? They said Carlin and KJ deep cleaned the whole house for them, including washing all the bedding and towels. Katie said it meant a lot that people from her side of the family came up for the birth. Katie said they are going to have to go to TN in a few weeks to meet everyone... Travis replied that it will be more than a few weeks. The baby dropped to 5 lb 5 oz at her first appt. Travis doesn't know the difference between 5.5 lbs and 5 lbs 5 oz. They gifted a couch with some sponsor to Trav's parents. He did do a good job reminding Katie to rest and recover during the video, so hopefully she is actually doing that. It can be hard for new moms to rest!

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

I think today, 3/4, is the Bates I Love You Day. I was curious if Katie and Travis were thinking about attending. But they were just at the pediatrician yesterday afternoon so it didn’t seem like they could drive to TN and I didn’t think they would fly with Hailey yet. It’s good that Travis has the sense to know that a visit to TN should wait.

And of course Carlin and Kelly should have been washing all of the sheets and towels. They had been staying there and using them. Whatever cleaning needed to be done, it was probably due to the mess brought on by the Stewart kids.

Edited by JDuggs
Typo
  • Upvote 7

25 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

I think today, 3/4, is the Bates I Love Day. I was curious if Katie and Travis were thinking about attending. But they were just at the pediatrician yesterday afternoon so it didn’t seem like they could drive to TN and I didn’t think they would fly with Hailey yet. It’s good that Travis has the sense to know that a visit to TN should wait.

And of course Carlin and Kelly should have been washing all of the sheets and towels. They had been staying there and using them. Whatever cleaning needed to be done, it was probably due to the mess brought on by the Stewart kids.

I agree. It’s the least a guest can do when the host just had a baby. I personally would be doing more. But I will say that since Katie’s house is pretty minimal, it may not need as much cleaning as a Bates house. But still, I’m sure they make a mess of the kitchen regularly and need to sweep up. 

• Upvote 6

On 3/2/2023 at 2:37 PM, fluffernutter said:

Does she ask you and your husband what baby needs or just sends lots of clothes without discussing it? 

Some of both.  I prefer a more gender neutral array of clothes - some dresses are fine, but also shirts and pants we could reuse for a boy without getting side-eye.  My husband LOVES her in dresses, so we have now got a ton of dresses.  Oh well, like I said at least she looks very cute.  She doesn't care at all about it holding her back activity-wise because she doesn't allow it.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Some of both.  I prefer a more gender neutral array of clothes - some dresses are fine, but also shirts and pants we could reuse for a boy without getting side-eye.  My husband LOVES her in dresses, so we have now got a ton of dresses.  Oh well, like I said at least she looks very cute.  She doesn't care at all about it holding her back activity-wise because she doesn't allow it.

One of the most frustrating things when my kids were little was my mom and mil giving our girls so. much. stuff. We didn't live in big enough houses for massive amounts of toys and crap. I remember one year, one of the kids got a barbie tent from one grandma and a Teletubbies tent from the other. I felt like crying. Where do you set those up in a teeny townhouse? Plus my "aesthetic" was like hippy-waldorf. I was into sad-beige before sad-beige was a thing.  😂 One time my mom got my daughter a black and hot pink leopard print dress with a character on the front, I don't remember who. This made my brain hurt. Another year one daughter loved trains and we were building up those wooden Thomas the tank sets. Mil got her a huge bright blue plastic train set instead of the wooden kind. Looking back I imagine maybe I was too picky about that kind of stuff. We were always gracious about gifts but donated a lot of it. I hope to be generous, but also give a thought about the parents' opinions and needs.  In the end, it's really about being loving and doting and doing grandma things. My favorite grandma was flat broke but spend actual time with me, and I loved her more than life. Also, I think I think too much about being a grandma. Thank you all for listening to my essay on grandmothers and gifts. 🤣

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

My parents over buy for my kids too. I have no problem giving it away or selling it new on Facebook. Actually I just sold a few toys in boxes that were never even opened on Christmas 2022. 

• Upvote 2

Travis posted that he got a lot of comments about how young he looks. It seemed to bother him. But here’s the thing, he is young! He’s about to turn 22. That’s very young to be married with one kid in the US. Most males in the US are older when they are married with one kid. If he was 35 and everyone was telling him he looked like a teenager, it wouldn’t have bothered him. But the fact that he is so young is probably what bothered him about people saying he looks like a teen. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Travis posted that he got a lot of comments about how young he looks. It seemed to bother him. But here’s the thing, he is young! He’s about to turn 22. That’s very young to be married with one kid in the US. Most males in the US are older when they are married with one kid. If he was 35 and everyone was telling him he looked like a teenager, it wouldn’t have bothered him. But the fact that he is so young is probably what bothered him about people saying he looks like a teen. 

He turned 22 today. And yes, he is very young. But he also looks young. I have a 22 year old nephew and he looks much older than Travis (and also lives at home, is figuring out what he wants career wise and is very single).

• Upvote 5

Travis has a nice self-deprecating sense of humor. He comes off as a lot less peacocky than the Bates boys. He acknowledges that he looks young, married young and is now a young dad. For the most part, I’m sure he’s thanking god for his talent and good looks and isn’t too bothered by his youthful appearance. It probably bothers Katie a ton more when people say she looks like his mom, which I’ve done here, but not directly to them.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

When you get married very young and your wife wears a ton of makeup, it’s gonna happen. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

When you get married very young and your wife wears a ton of makeup, it’s gonna happen. 

She wears very old *style* make up in addition to it being ridiculously plastered on.

Josie never seems to look like that. I can tell the overall difference but can't decide why Katie's looks the way it does.

She's gonna look like JillR one day. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Katie doesn't realize she can get away with just wearing lipstick and mascara. 

I’ve never been much for makeup. But nowadays, makeup tutorials are everywhere. And anyone who is a social media influencer of sorts seems to wear a ton of makeup. I personally can’t handle a ton of makeup on my face. It just bothers me. I’m glad I didn’t grow up in this day and age because I would have forced myself to put in a ton of makeup just to fit in. 

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve never been much for makeup. But nowadays, makeup tutorials are everywhere. And anyone who is a social media influencer of sorts seems to wear a ton of makeup. I personally can’t handle a ton of makeup on my face. It just bothers me. I’m glad I didn’t grow up in this day and age because I would have forced myself to put in a ton of makeup just to fit in. 

Since Covid and the mask, beyond a light foundation with sun screen and mascara, I am totally natural. I’m too old for all that crap. I do use good lotion and my skin is pretty good for my age. Some of those Ds and Bs have rough skin. I think that’s why those girls wear so much heavy makeup. I have always been lucky in that area. Maybe it’s better nutrition, but more likely good genes.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Katie doesn't realize she can get away with just wearing lipstick and mascara. 

both katie and Erin have an over the top style that makes them look older I give Katie credit though as hers is more modern 

They are both so pretty and Erin is just so daggy in her make up hair and clothes she looks like her mother's peer.

Bitchy but I would love to be as naturally pretty as them. bout all I am jealous of them over though. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

13 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

both katie and Erin have an over the top style that makes them look older I give Katie credit though as hers is more modern 

They are both so pretty and Erin is just so daggy in her make up hair and clothes she looks like her mother's peer.

Bitchy but I would love to be as naturally pretty as them. bout all I am jealous of them over though. 

I feel awful about this, but I used to feel so sorry for Katie because she hung out with Josie and Carlin who are both naturally pretty. Katie certainly came into her own. All those girls are pretty, but the use of heavy makeup make some appear older {Erin, for sure}. Others, like Josie, Carlin and Alyssa just know how to use makeup to their advantage.

• Upvote 3

Ugh. I never wore much makeup, but since Covid, I've given up too. I'm old and probably would look 'rough' to most. I don't care so much except for the awful under eye area. I can't seem to follow on-line tutorials, so I went to Sephora once and was shown how to cover them. Bought a bunch of stuff, but it always looked so MakeUp!!! to me. I just try not to look in the mirror! :my_biggrin:

Spoiler

Screenshot_20230309-190540-305.thumb.png.42f527fff8fed722bb7fbb76c490994c.png

• Upvote 1
  • Love 11

21 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I feel awful about this, but I used to feel so sorry for Katie because she hung out with Josie and Carlin who are both naturally pretty. Katie certainly came into her own. All those girls are pretty, but the use of heavy makeup make some appear older {Erin, for sure}. Others, like Josie, Carlin and Alyssa just know how to use makeup to their advantage.

Katie did have an awkward phase where she definitely did not shine as bright as her sisters, but as she was coming out of it, I realised she had the potential to be the prettiest sister, of course subject to everyone's personal preference.

I have said it before the bates girls are blessed appearance wise genetically, they are all standardly gorgeous.

I did notice in the Spy day thing that Callie is starting to look so grown up and is emerging out of that tween look.  

• Upvote 6

26 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Ugh. I never wore much makeup, but since Covid, I've given up too. I'm old and probably would look 'rough' to most. I don't care so much except for the awful under eye area. I can't seem to follow on-line tutorials, so I went to Sephora once and was shown how to cover them. Bought a bunch of stuff, but it always looked so MakeUp!!! to me. I just try not to look in the mirror! :my_biggrin:

Hide contents

Screenshot_20230309-190540-305.thumb.png.42f527fff8fed722bb7fbb76c490994c.png

This is exactly how I feel when I put on makeup. It’s just too much!  I feel like a clown. And then I’m wiping it off.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I never watched the Bateses’ show and I guess I didn’t know much about Katie until she got together with Travis. I googled her to see some photos of her when she was younger because I couldn’t imagine that she wasn’t always just plain beautiful. I don’t even think I would ever have guessed this was Katie. She changed a lot.

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.63a9ff63a7612e9bfeb931663111092c.jpeg

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic