IGNORED

Katie and Travis 5: Baby Makes Three

Coconut Flan

30 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

I've been looking at alot of baby stuff lately as I'm expecting and I feel like the Doona is a very "high class" purchase. I doubt she is going to be able to reuse that for the next baby as it'll probably happen when she would still have Hailey in a stroller. I have to buy a second carseat and am gonna get the keyfit 30 again. Though, I am looking at an expensive stroller but that's because its gonna have to push two babies AND be able to occasionally seat my almost 4 year old. And I'm getting it used for like 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. Yay for most double strollers having a weight limit of 40-45 lbs when my daughter is currently 38 and I'm only 2.5 months along. 😕 

Though I know alot of people buy uppababy for the status like they do the Doona. I'm surprised we havent seen any bates/duggars with an uppababy stroller. 

I think Katie has likely spent the most money on her baby purchases compared to her sisters. 

• Upvote 4

Just my opinion…they spend like many nouveau riche folks. I do wonder if they (as a group) have an understanding of money beyond the fact of knowing as youngsters the supply was limited and they had few possessions, and now they have more money, so that equates to being able to buy at will? 

How do you learn economics and money management when you’re isolated away, lack education and other societal experiences? If you marry a person with a similar background in terms of education and life experiences, and you quickly have a child, how do you figure this out?

It’s all so foreign to me. Everything these folks do leaves me scratching my head. Beyond an affinity for Jesus, I can not relate to these folks, their work ethic, values, priorities- all so damn foreign.  And it’s generational. I can’t relate to KJ and Gil either. Wish I knew more about Mama Jane and Bill- maybe they have their heads and priorities affixed to this planet?

• Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Katie has likely spent the most money on her baby purchases compared to her sisters. 

Katie has also married into the most money. I am pretty sure the parent Clark's have bought a lot of gifts for the baby. 

• Upvote 9

3 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Just my opinion…they spend like many nouveau riche folks. I do wonder if they (as a group) have an understanding of money beyond the fact of knowing as youngsters the supply was limited and they had few possessions, and now they have more money, so that equates to being able to buy at will? 

How do you learn economics and money management when you’re isolated away, lack education and other societal experiences? If you marry a person with a similar background in terms of education and life experiences, and you quickly have a child, how do you figure this out?

It’s all so foreign to me. Everything these folks do leaves me scratching my head. Beyond an affinity for Jesus, I can not relate to these folks, their work ethic, values, priorities- all so damn foreign.  And it’s generational. I can’t relate to KJ and Gil either. Wish I knew more about Mama Jane and Bill- maybe they have their heads and priorities affixed to this planet?

I’m glad some public schools do actually teach classes that would address those issues. From what I’ve seen, Gil and Kelly have never shown great money management skills. Sure Gil is a grifter. But I doubt he taught his daughters how to spend and how to save. Most of the Married bates girls live their lives like instagram influencers. Always buying the priciest and/or trendiest stuff to show off online. 

• Upvote 2

For a young person, Travis actually does seem to have an idea about fiscal responsibility. Katie “had to have” a certain bassinet, but Travis wasn’t sure if they should spend the money. His parents ended up buying it for them for Christmas. I don’t think he’ll go into debt with reckless spending and has a good handle on what their income is and how to budget their expenses.

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

For a young person, Travis actually does seem to have an idea about fiscal responsibility. Katie “had to have” a certain bassinet, but Travis wasn’t sure if they should spend the money. His parents ended up buying it for them for Christmas. I don’t think he’ll go into debt with reckless spending and has a good handle on what their income is and how to budget their expenses.

Interestingly, Katie was the one who talked Travis into a gender neutral crib that they could reuse instead of the pink one with a canopy that he wanted. So I think there are areas where they are both more practical than the other. But I do think he has a good idea of their finances. 

And I think his family hae bought a lot of baby stuff for them. Travis said they had two cars full of gifts after her New Jersey shower. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, OldFadedStar said:

Though I know alot of people buy uppababy for the status like they do the Doona. I'm surprised we havent seen any bates/duggars with an uppababy stroller. 

Since my only son is 27, is childless, and I'm past the age of qualifying for an AARP card, I am way out of the loop now on brands and prices of baby products.  My hairdresser is expecting her first baby and told me last week she purchased an UPPAbaby stroller.  I had no idea what that even was and had to google it when I got home.  The most expensive stroller I remember hearing about in the 90s, when I had my son, was Peg Perego. 

The average price of an UPPAbaby stroller is $1000.  

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 3
  • WTF 3

10 minutes ago, HeartsAFundie said:

Since my only son is 27, is childless, and I'm past the age of qualifying for an AARP card, I am way out of the loop now on brands and prices of baby products.  My hairdresser is expecting her first baby and told me last week she purchased an UPPAbaby stroller.  I had no idea what that even was and had to google it when I got home.  The most expensive stroller I remember hearing about in the 90s, when I had my son, was Peg Perego. 

The average price of an UPPAbaby stroller is $1000.  

When I had my kids (1987/1990), my husband had some coupon from Costco for a free stroller. You bet we used it and it lasted through both kids. We also had one of those $15.00 umbrella strollers. Someone stole that one at Marine World- 

Lots of kids hate strollers. 

• Upvote 5

I was never a stroller user. We had a Graco that I barely used and a cheap umbrella stroller I used occasionally but I mostly wore my babies. I liked the handsfree option. I did spend a couple hundred dollars on good baby carriers. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

I was never a stroller user. We had a Graco that I barely used and a cheap umbrella stroller I used occasionally but I mostly wore my babies. I liked the handsfree option. I did spend a couple hundred dollars on good baby carriers. 

My daughter was the same with her baby.

My children detested being worn. Some kids just hate being worn. But god did they love the stroller. My husband and I took the oldest on 4 walks a day! All he wanted to do was go on walks around our neighborhood. We killed one stroller because we used it so much. Boy did we get our money’s worth with that graco stroller. I also love strollers because I can store a bunch of my crap in it. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Doona convertible infant seat + stroller. Runs about $500-$600. This brand isn't available in Canada but I did find a similar model (and it was about $800 CDN).  Screenshot_20230221-124140.thumb.png.31a90678cbac9c6c79ba3c60a01031d7.png

Interesting, thanks! I don’t think I would like having dirty stroller wheels right on the seat of the car like that, but we also live where snow and slush are around for many months of the year. 

We have a baby, and got a Graco travel system. Have used the stroller so much. We’ve honestly loved the bucket too, so much so that we just bought a Graco convertible seat since she’s outgrowing the bucket now. I joined a car seat safety group while pregnant and it seemed like Graco had some of the best safety ratings and reviews, where as some of the fancier and more expensive seats actually didn’t (Nuna, MaxiCosi, UppaBaby, etc)… I found that interesting! Also this is just for Canada! And they did say in there too that all seats in Canada are safe due to our rigorous safety standards anyways. But just to say that more expensive doesn’t mean better when it comes to baby stuff sometimes. 

We did splurge on a Thule Chariot that we could use to go for walks throughout the winter, and that’s been very worth it, as we go for walks several times per week and have no issue getting it through the snow and ice. However, we did get it from Facebook marketplace, for less than 1/2 of what it would have costed us brand new. 

Edited by Keys
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

We had a nice Graco stroller. My father lived overseas when my children were little. We would travel to see him once a year. We traveled once with the "good" stroller. It was destroyed by the airline. Every trip after that we used the umbrella strollers that we purchased in Europe.  They were lightweight, comfortable for kids, and cheap. If they got wrecked we were only out $20 instead of $250 and 4 months of fighting with the airline to get reimbursed.  (European) Umbrella strollers are the best!

• Upvote 2

I have some sympathy for Katie and the make up.  When daughter's second child was born, she and her husband were on tenterhooks for me to get there as soon as their "bonding period" was over.  She practically shoved the baby into my arms so she could shower and he bolted for the door to go get lunch.  Apparently he hadn't eaten since dinner the night before except a bag of chips and she said the second birth was a ton messier than the first or at least she felt grubbier.  The nurse walked into the room to see a woman she'd never seen before walking with the baby and no one else and really did a double take and then was quietly "Grandma? Where is Mom?"  Sometimes you just want to get back to normal and you really can't hold the baby 24/7.  I may be giving her too much credit and she may be another Bates whose kids are just accessories though.  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 10

32 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I have some sympathy for Katie and the make up.  When daughter's second child was born, she and her husband were on tenterhooks for me to get there as soon as their "bonding period" was over.  She practically shoved the baby into my arms so she could shower and he bolted for the door to go get lunch.  Apparently he hadn't eaten since dinner the night before except a bag of chips and she said the second birth was a ton messier than the first or at least she felt grubbier.  The nurse walked into the room to see a woman she'd never seen before walking with the baby and no one else and really did a double take and then was quietly "Grandma? Where is Mom?"  Sometimes you just want to get back to normal and you really can't hold the baby 24/7.  I may be giving her too much credit and she may be another Bates whose kids are just accessories though.  

A friend had her first baby. I was lucky to be invited in the first few days. I said "what can I do?" She looked completely frazzled and sleepless. She said "can you hold him while I take a shower??" like it was a huge ask. I was afraid she'd want me to cook or something! She hadn't had a proper shower since the birth a few days before. So I held him for what seemed like absolutely forever. I had never held a baby for more than a few minutes before and really had no idea what to do other than just hold him. But I felt honored to do my part. And she was so happy to be thoroughly hair washed and scrubbed.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 6

You guys. I am CRINGING watching part 2 on YouTube. That awful doctor that smacked Travis' bum is in the video and she does it AGAIN!!! She is just laughing telling KJ and Trav's mom how embarrassed and red he was. 

Edited by gobucks
  • Upvote 2
  • WTF 7
  • I Agree 2

51 minutes ago, gobucks said:

You guys. I am CRINGING watching part 2 on YouTube. That awful doctor that smacked Travis' bum is in the video and she does it AGAIN!!! She is just laughing telling KJ and Trav's mom how embarrassed and red he was. 

whaaaaaat???? 

I haven't not watched and didn't intend to but you're telling me a DOCTOR...the doctor?? the birth doctor???.... smacked TRAVIS on the butt?? eeeeewwwwwwww

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

whaaaaaat???? 

I haven't not watched and didn't intend to but you're telling me a DOCTOR...the doctor?? the birth doctor???.... smacked TRAVIS on the butt?? eeeeewwwwwwww

Yes. She is the doctor that delivered him. She did this in the doctor's office during an appointment as well so this is the second time she has done this in a few short months. 

• Upvote 5

The YouTube videos, KJ isn’t very supportive in the first video. Carlin is better. I feel bad for Katie. She’s nervous and so afraid about being sent back home.

ETA- On to video 2…oh my, the doctor. So much talking and so many people. 

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I loved that first shower after the baby was born all three times. All three of mine were born in the evening. Then I got up in the morning and as soon as my husband or MIL were there I showered, got dressed, and put on a bit of makeup. I pretty much never wear as much makeup as the Bates ladies do, but doing my normal morning routine was important to me and I pretty much followed my normal routine once we got home as far as getting up and dressed with a few adjustments.  I needed to feel normal and like myself. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 5

My baby was a "hold me round the clock" baby and she still wants to be held about half the time as a toddler.  I was handing that kid to anyone who stood too near me because I was touched OUT.  Even by the time we left the hospital when she hadn't let me put her down once without screaming bloody murder I was desperate for some sense of normalcy.  We found it and I treasure all the snuggles we have, but it definitely took some time.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 15

Daughter's second baby was a hold me all the time, too, unless she was sound asleep.  She added the quirk of don't you dare sit down while holding her.  She wore out a LOT of people until she was strong enough and she allowed sitting in the high chair or bouncer were allowed.  The alternative was pushing her in a stroller.  We were all thrilled she was so strong and one of the rare ones with head control at birth so sitting in the bouncer was safe very early.  

24 minutes ago, Keys said:

I wonder if Katie will elaborate more on her POTS at some point. I’m curious about whether it’s related to having Covid. 

Possibly so. 

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/news/2022/researchers-study-links-between-covid-and-pots

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, gobucks said:

That sounds like sexual harassment. Could she not lose her license for this?

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

That sounds like sexual harassment. Could she not lose her license for this?

I hate how when it’s a woman doing it to a man, it’s funny. But if a male doctor did it to a woman, it would be sexual harassment. So many people think that women can’t sexually harass or sexually abuse. And it’s fucked up.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 15

• Coconut Flan locked this topic